WHU MAN

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first attempt to make a fm story so please, any advice would be helpful cheers.

THE NEW GENERATION OF WEST HAM

West Ham, a team who recently have been relegated to the Npower Championship, a team who I have supported through all of their ups and downs. I have sat at the very front row at Upton Park for my whole life and then I watched the last game of the season on tv, against Wigan Athletic. I hear from the commentary team "A win and surely West Ham will stay up" and it repeats itself in my head over and over during the game, then in the 12th minute Demba Ba stepped up with a header and I hear "1-0 to West Ham, a dream start!" 26th minute Demba Ba scores again and I am jumping around my house cheering and screaming with joy... but then in the 57th minute Charles N'Zogbia sets up a very nervy last 30 minutes for both teams by scoring a vital goal in the game, only 11 minutes later and my heart starts to drop and get weaker as I see youngster Conor Sammon score Wigan's second goal of the game. 90 minutes have now passed and I am still very nervous as chance after chance goes wide and our chance of promotion fading ever more. But then I thought "At least we drew" But boy was I wrong as in the 94th minute of 5 minutes added on N'Zogbia scores again and I am almost in tears with this cruel, cruel match still playing in front of me, all I keep hearing is "West Hame are relegated for the first time in 6 years!" I tried sleeping that night but all I could think about was those same words playing over and over in my head. The following morning I turn on my t.v and watch Sky Sports News and down the bottom of the screen is the words I had been waiting for "West Ham relegated from the Premier League" I just sat there and shook my head but then I saw something else come up on the screen it said "West Ham manager Avram Grant has been sacked" and I still don't know why I did it even til this day but I got up and I wrote a letter addressed to our chairmen David Gold and David Sullivan stating my interest in the vacant managers job, I stated my previous managerial roles at East Thurrock United and Grays Athletic and how I won promotion back to the Blue Square Premier with Grays Athletic and then I signed it, but didn't post it until after the last game of the season at home against Sunderland, which I went to see, sadly we lost 3-0 to Sunderland and the fans booed the players off the pitch at the end, but not me. I simply walked around to where caretaker manager Tony Carr was standing and screamed at him to take my letter and all I could hear was "Please sir stand back or I will have to throw you out" but I persued and eventually he took it! and he walked down the tunnel, 2 weeks later and I got a phone call and, amazingly, an interview! I went and they said if they can trust me they would consider it. Another 2 weeks later I got another phone call saying I had the job! I ran around the house saying "YES, YES!" then on the 5th July I finally get to start my journey as West Ham manager, I meet my staff and I had to talk to David Gold about the expectations and how much I would have to spend etc.

David Gold: "Welcome, we expect you to take us up this season but we understand this is your first season so we will be patient but obviously the fans will be expecting big straight away."

Me: "Yes I understand totally and I will do everything in my power to get us up, as a fan I know what it would mean to go straight back up."

David Gold: "Thank you, in terms of transfers we have several players out on loan and in on loan. We have £5 Million transfer budget and 550k p/w wage budget, saying that we are currently spending 499k p/w on wages so you have a whole 50k p/w still available. One last thing before you get started, we do not think any sales are needed and so if you do decide to sell try to get as much money as possible."

Me: "Ok then I will go and review with my staff all aspects of the club, once again I thank you so much for this honour."

[End of conversation]

The first thing I reviewed was my players loaned in and players loaned out, this was the list:

Players loaned in:
George McCartney (Sunderland)
David Bentley (Tottenham)
Henri Lansbury (Arsenal)
Brian Montenegro (Tacuary FBC)

Players loaned out:
Ahmed Abdulla (Swindon)
Jordan Spence (Bristol City)
Pablo Barrera (Real Zaragoza)

The first thing I noticed was the quality of David Bentley and Henri Lansbury so I attempted to build a squad around them, this meant looking towards other players available for loan and players listed for transfer in and around the Premier League, Liga BBVA, Ligue 1 and Bundesliga.

But just as I started searching for players I got a £3.1M bid from Newcastle for James Tomkins, which I turned down straight away and made it clear we wouldn't sell Tomkins at all. After that I sent a offer to Chelsea to get youngster Josh McEachran for the whole season and it was accepted. The following day I had a press conference in which the questions were all about me taking over my new job and whether I will buy anybody in this transfer window, I just told them what I knew and they left it there. After the press conference James Tomkins' agent came to me and said James wanted a higher paid contract, he was on 9k p/w and he wanted 22k p/w, I managed to get him lowered to 17k p/w as I thought that was a valid contract for a player like that.

-That is it for now, check back later for more!-

Last edited:
My next target was to try to get Wayne Bridge, he had been transfer listed and I just felt like he had great quality so I attempted to sign him on loan, and my bid was accepted and I awaited his decision while I also picked up Francis Coquelin and Josh McEacheran, who finally agreed to come on loan.

I then took a look at my fixtures and see my friendlies:
(Home fixtures in bold)
- Colchester
- Rochdale
- Olympiakos
- Dundee
- Linfield

I immediately thought that I should play my new signings for about 2 or 3 games

First game: Colchester United vs. West Ham United

Team line-up:

View attachment 207921

Final score/match report:

View attachment 207922

Overall conclusion:

We controlled the ball well and played good football, just a little unimpressed with the shots on target.

After the match Aston Villa offered £4.8M for Jack Collison and again I rejected the offer. I then got the news that Wayne Bridge declined the opportunity to join West Ham for the season, so I set about finding another new target and eventually I came across 22 year old Shane Lowry, he was also recently transfer listed by Aston Villa and I had a feeling he could be a good backup left back, so I bidded for him, I tried getting him on loan til the end of the season and that I could buy him for £575k at any time.

Second pre-season game: Rochdale United vs West Ham United

Team line-up:

View attachment 207925

View attachment 207926
Overall conclusion:

A great team performance and well played from my strikers Montenegro and Piquionne, a big boost to them. The only downfall is the goal we conceded was poor defending.

Third pre-season game: West Ham United vs Olympiakos

Team line-up:

View attachment 207927

View attachment 207942
Overall conclusion:

The match had its ups and downs but in the end we performed well and got the comfortable win.

Straight after the match Shane Lowry signed for us for the season, with the option to buy him for £550k at any point during the loan.

Fourth pre-season game: Dundee vs West Ham

Team line-up:

View attachment 207959

View attachment 207958
Overall conclusion:

Wow! Thats all I can say, I didn't expect that at all! A great team effort to secure the biggest win in pre-season so far.

After I left the match I recieved the season ticket sales and there were 22,000 season tickets sold and I was getting ready for the next and last pre-season game.

Fifth and final pre-season game: Linfield vs West Ham United

Team line-up:

View attachment 207968

View attachment 207969
Conclusion:

Overall a great performance and a very good pre-season which the lads can be proud of, I just hope the league is as kind to us!

Last edited: