The New Saints Rise to Glory - An Aussie Amateur crack

theflyingbird

Reaction score
May seem like a strange New Year's Resolution, but this year I wanted to challenge myself with a challenge I've seen completed a few times on FM Base and other various youtube channels. Is it possible on FM 2018 to take one club from being a no-name to a European Champions League Winner while at the same time trying to create a legacy of being one of the greatest managers of all time.

The New Saints

The New Saints are an English based team that play in the JD Welsh Premier Division which start ranked the number one club in Wales previously winning the last six consecutive seasons. Subsequently, the only true advantage starting with The New Saints is that Wales has a Champions League Spot. Bearing in mind it is only the second qualifying round, and let's say this challenge is all uphill.

The JD Welsh Premier Division
The JD Welsh Premier Division is currently situated in around the 120 mark for League Co-Effecients which is lower than the Vanarama North / South. In addition, a measely 10 000 quid for winning the League is going to be an absolute struggle. Hopefully, the New Saints will be able to make a run in various European competitions to get that prize money up, and hopefully develop our own stature and this league stature.

The Approach

Being an absolute amateur at this challenge, I feel the biggest problem for myself is going to be winning the JD Welsh Premier Division in my first season. However, a big inspiration for my strategy stems from WorktheSpace, and other FM stories I've read saying Free transfers, and attempt to keep wages as low as possible and make sure money comes in and make a profit. Develop youth, and hopefully everything will follow through.

Starting an adventure

Switching the board shorts to long pants, and a warm coat is going to take this Aussie some getting use to. Going from a life as a nobody, to a manager with a mountain of pressure placed on his shoulders, is going to take some getting use to. As previously mentioned, the biggest challenge is going to be the expectation of an easy first season victory of the JD Welsh Premier to getting a first team ready for Europe that is affordable, and can dominant on two fronts. As soon as walk through the door, two names stick out to me for just being absolute quality are Wes Fletcher and Jon Routledge. My mind is eased knowing that an impressive squad will just require me not doing anything stupid, and we should hopefully succeed.