The Next Gunner

• Thread starter Thread starter SaintSinner
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 3K

SaintSinner

Reaction score
Arsène Wenger is chasing “one or two” experienced players this summer – but not a striker.

With this season’s trophy-hunt ending on Tuesday night at the hands of Manchester United, it was inevitable that the Arsenal manager would be questioned about his transfer plans at Friday’s pre-match press conference.

As usual, Wenger stated his first job was to keep the existing squad together. And he added, if he does dip into the market, it will not be to make wholesale changes.

“I’m not chasing any player at the moment,” he said. “I believe my priority is to stay with the squad we have.

“We will try of course to bring in one or two players to strengthen the squad but we have plenty of strikers.

“And if we buy, it certainly won't be players who lack experience. We have enough of those.”
Source:www.arsenal.com

Who would be the next gunner? Arsenal definately needs to strengthen their squad with some experienced players inorder to maintain stability within the squad. Arsenal are relying too much on youngsters and they severly lack experience. Wenger is interested in Mahamadou Sakho, another french youngster.

There might not be many agreeing with me on this one, but I think our biggest loss over the last few years has been Gilberto. He was, in my opinion better than Claude Makelele. He held the defence together so well and was really a driving force when we went forward. Wenger needs to bring in a defensive midfielder.

There might not be many agreeing with me on this one, but I think our biggest loss over the last few years has been Gilberto. He was, in my opinion better than Claude Makelele. He held the defence together so well and was really a driving force when we went forward. Wenger needs to bring in a defensive midfielder.

Yh, i would kind of agree to this..but flamini is the person who kept gilberto out the first team biggest mistake was letting flamini/gilberto go without bringing someone to replace them.

arsenall need 2 cbs, a gd defensice mid thts gt grit about him n also an out n out striker n sell adebayor

Arsenal are in trouble.

As a Middlesbrough fan who admittedly rarely sees Arsenal play here is my opinion on the current squad;

You need a new keeper. Almunia is pretty inconsistent, and when I do see him he seems to make mistakes including being a bit flappy, Fabianksi seems even worse. Gallas is aging now, but how has Senderos done at Milan? still on loan isn't he? Toure and Senderos CB partnership next year?

Your full backs are quite attacking? Sagna/Eboue? who is your LB now? Clichy? again, quite an attacking full back, maybe it is time for Arsenal to become a bit more defensive (don't get me wrong, Clichy looks a class act).

Midfield is your strongest. Fabregas obviously brilliant, Arshavin, Nasri, Rosicky to come back all great players. You do need a DMC to offer some support infront of the back 4, Makalele style, but isn't Song developing as he should?

You need a striker, an experienced goalscorer not another risk. Adebayor is decent, but thats it. RVP can pluck something from nothing, but how often? Walcott is not an out and out goalscorer - hence RW usage.

Needed: GK & ST. Possibly look at strenghtening offensive defence!

Just my two cents.

Yeah letting Flamini go (esp when Silva went too) seems to be their biggest mistake-not a spectacular player but did a right job.

Thoughts on Lassana Diarra anyone? Obv Wenger didn't think he had it, but Madrid have shelled out on him and he's getting a game. Did well at Pompey too.

An old warhorse or two would do Arsenal the world of good. Not that Wenger would consider purchasing someone in their very late 20s or early 30s though. Gallas is not a leader on the pitch and Fabregas, for all his talent, is still a kid. Their season would have been very different if the Alonso deal had gone through I think - someone of that stature would be a good buy. If nothing else, the scare about missing out on the CL will ensure that the board will find the money to fund the purchase despite their finances being a bit rocky.

arsenall need 2 cbs, a gd defensice mid thts gt grit about him n also an out n out striker n sell adebayor
if there is anyone that they shouldnt sell its adebayor. he is, alongside arshavin, their main attacking threat cause he is tall, powerful, skillfull and quick:S

letting flamini get off was a big mistake. arsenal should get a centre back.

theres a rumour in the papers today suggesting that wenger wants to buy Gary Cahill from Bolton

Arsenal need atleast 4 players in my opinion.

Arsenal look the best they probs have ever been going foward with all the attacking players we got. But sometimes we are the ones to blame for our downfall since we always over pass when theres a goal scoring oppotunity which causes the frustration all around the world where the arsenal fans are(never had a more frustrating season ever). top priority

-Atleast two young center backs but probs only one since senderos is back
-Maybe another defensive Mid since song is still young and cant play 90mins everygame of the season.
-Another tall striker to add some competition to give adebayor a kick up the backside.

Last edited:
arsenal certainly needs a class goalkeeper. no offense to almunia, had done good enough job for the gunners but arsenal lacks in goalkeeping? frey would be an excellent choice.

arsenal certainly needs a class goalkeeper. no offense to almunia, had done good enough job for the gunners but arsenal lacks in goalkeeping? frey would be an excellent choice.

What??

100% NO!

If a frey came into the arsenal team he wouldnt even make a difference, If arsenal's back four cant defend to save their lives then it doesnt matter how good your goalkeeper is hes still gonna concede alot of goals...

ill rather bring in a 'ferdinand' or a 'JT' to make our defence better not a ****** goalkeeper..

Last edited:
As a Man Utd fan I was quite shocked with Arsenal two outtings in the Champions League against us. Arsenal certainly need a little overhaul, adding soome experience.

Almunia, isn't as bad as some have made out. With a better centre back pairing he wouldn't be as exposed. However if Arsenal could get Schwarzer off Fulham, he could be the saviour of those extra points and extremely experienced.

A centre back or two is needed, however Sagna and Clichy are two of the best full backs in the league for me. As for a central defender, Cannavaro is on a free in the summer and could be worth a punt.

A strong Midfield holding player, Senna would be a great addition.

A striker to play alongside Van Persie and Bentdner.

If I where Arsenal I would sell Eboue, Gallas and Adebayor. Maybe a few more to boot.

Senna is the one player I think would suit Arsenal to the ground.

What??

100% NO!

If a frey came into the arsenal team he wouldnt even make a difference, If arsenal's back four cant defend to save their lives then it doesnt matter how good your goalkeeper is hes still gonna concede alot of goals...

ill rather bring in a 'ferdinand' or a 'JT' to make our defence better not a ****** goalkeeper..

look at madrid. there defense sucks but iker casillas saves the team from conceeding at minimum. so a good goalkeeper will definately add strength into defense rather than playing 2/3 renowned center backs.

look at madrid. there defense sucks but iker casillas saves the team from conceeding at minimum. so a good goalkeeper will definately add strength into defense rather than playing 2/3 renowned center backs.

But thats the thing..

If real madrid had a better defence casillas wouldnt have to make saves at all..

defence > goalkeeper

i do agree that goalkeeprs are important but not as important as defenders no way in ****.

has silvestre been good for arsenal. i was just wondering about how arsenal fans think he's done.

Back