The Not So Special One – Dorking Around

FM_TNSSO

Reaction score
The Not So Special One – Dorking Around

In the words of Eminem… ‘Guess Who’s Back, Back Again’! Yep, after nearly 6 months away from the site, I’m returning to the game with a new story. A change in direction in my career in the New Year saw me give up my old work laptop which had FM on it and take on a new one in my new position. However, the new employers are a little more ‘on it’ with the IT Security and all gaming websites/downloads are blocked on company equipment. I’ve been mental busy for the opening 5 months in my new role and unfortunately, buying a new laptop had taken a back seat and therefore so had Football Manager. However, I’ve now taken the plunge and although £600 lighter in my pocket, I’m back on FM again! Oh, how I’ve missed you!!

I had some decisions to make. After 6 months away, what sort of game did I want to play….well, after some deliberation, I decided on one of my favourite challenges from over the years – taking a team from the bottom of English football to the top….or trying to anyway!

1589616036431.png

The team I have chosen to go with (as the story title may give away), is Dorking Wanderers in the National League South.

Dorking History.jpg

Dorking are a relatively new club to English football, having only been formed in 1999 and have seen a sharp and quick rise to the National League South, having achieved 3 promotions in the last 7 seasons!

Profile.jpg

This is my management profile. I start my career with a National A License coaching badge and have previous playing experience at a professional regional level….so I’m a face in the game, although certainly not a footballing legend by any stretch!

1589616072911.png

Meadowbank is a 2,000 capacity stadium, with one proper stand. It’s not much, but it’s home and we’ll do our best to make it as difficult as possible for visiting teams here over the coming years!

finances.jpg

The club’s finances are in decent shape considering their lowly stature in English football, with over £60k tucked away in the bank. I even have a small budget of £15k to play with in the transfer market. Although, with only £500 available in the wage budget, I don’t think I’ll be affording any superstars.

Squad.jpg

I’m pleasantly surprised with the size of my squad. I’ve got plenty of options all over the pitch and this is a rarity down at this level where numbers are usually not in such abundance! According to my Assistant Manager’s judgement, the defence looks like the weakest part of the team and this is something I might need to address in the short term!

Prior.jpg

There’s no doubt that we are strongest in attack and that’s backed up by the fact my best player is one of my strikers. Jason Prior is a proven goalscorer and has netted 199 goals in his 366 career games to date! He bagged 21 in 37 games for us last season and will lead the line again this year.

Buchanan.jpg

Prior’s strike partner is likely to be 29 year old Elliott Buchanan who has recently joined the club and will have a point to prove after managing to get no games under his belt for Kingstonian last season!

Gallagher.jpg

Another player worth a mention is our very own midfield maestro, Jake Gallagher. He looks like a tasty little player at this level and with a good work rate and ability to pick out a decent pass, he could be the man in the middle of the park to find the front two on a regular basis!

expects.jpg

So I think I’m just about ready to get this show on the road! But one last thing before I do…let’s have a look at what the board expect from me! Despite it being our first season up at this level, expectations are high enough with a top half finish expected so the pressure is most definitely on! Working within the wage budget is critical to the club’s long term stability and with regards to transfers, it seems the board favour younger players for the first team.

Let’s have it!

1589628364971.png

The Not So Special One – Dorking Around; Chapter 2
Friday 2nd August 2019

Stonehouse.jpg

I knew that the most important area of the squad for me to improve was the defence, so it’s no surprise that my first signing for the club is a full back. 31 year old, Paul Stonehouse is a player that has been knocking around the lower leagues of English football for his entire career with his most lengthy spells being with Forest Green and Oxford City. He has racked up nearly 500 career appearances and brings plenty of experience to the side. He is also immediately the best left back in the squad! Stonehouse was signed on a free transfer!

Smith.jpg

On the staffing front, ex Leeds and Manchester United midfielder, Alan Smith, joined the backroom team as my new U23s Manager.

Bookies.jpg

The bookies think we’ll finish just outside of the board’s pre season target of a top half finish, with Havant & Waterlooville the favourites to lift the title. However, with the team predicted to finish 19th in the table only valued at 20-1 to win the league, it’s a wide open tournament this year!

Gardner.jpg

My second signing for the club is another defender, this time a centre back in the form of 19 year old Oliver Gardner, who also joins on a free transfer. Gardner is a decent addition to the back line with some good core defensive attributes, with my only slight concern being his lack of concentration. Still, I was willing to take a punt on him and feel he definitely improves the side!

Captain.jpg

The player that I rated as possibly my best, Jake Gallagher, is handed the captain’s armband for the upcoming season!

friendlies.jpg

Pre season went well enough with the only defeat coming at the hands of Gillingham, who in all fairness are three divisions above us. Three clean sheets is confidence building and we’ve not had any trouble scoring goals, although we have played weaker sides.

tactic.jpg

After some tinkering throughout pre season, this is the tactic I have decided on to start the season off. It’s an attaching 4-4-2, with everyone encouraged to stick to pretty basic and straight forward roles within their position. Not a lot of creative freedom with two simple targets; keep things organised and tight when we haven’t got the ball, and get the ball forward quickly when we do have it! Most of the play will be directed down the flanks where I have a certain amount of pace and decent dribblers to run at the opposition!

preview.jpg

I wasn’t surprised, even though a little disappointed, to find that none of my players made the media’s dream eleven for the upcoming season. Nine different clubs were represented in the predicted team of the year though, again proving that this is likely to be a very open division this season!

fixtures.jpg

Our opening day is as tough as they come against the league favourites. It will be a good test though to see where we’re at. In fact, the first few fixtures of the season give us a tough start all round with difficult games away at Dulwich Hamlet and Billericay early on as well!

1589720321168.png

The Not So Special One – Dorking Around; Chapter 3
Saturday 24th August 2019

season tickers.jpg

A whopping 85 season ticket sales were sold for the upcoming season!

Vanarama National League South – Matchday 1
Dorking vs Havant & Waterlooville

Formation; 4-4-2, Mentality; Attacking
Lineup; S.Huk, I.Philpott, D.Ray, O.Gardner, P.Stonehouse, N.McManus, J.Gallagher, J.McShane, L.Moore (T.Richards 65), J.Barham, J.Prior (E.Buchanan 65)

1. havant.jpg

Within 5 minutes, Jack Barham had us in front with a superb free kick which was curled in from 25 yards! The lead only lasted 6 minutes though before the title favourites were level with a headed effort from a corner. Roarie Deacon was proving a handful in the opening quarter of the game and he had the visitors in front mid-way through the first half. We were holding our own and created some half chances to get back in the game, before Andy Drury struck a killer blow on 57 minutes to double their lead with a long range effort that curled in off the post. After that, our heads dropped and we were overpowered by a much stronger side on the day (although Jack Barham did managed to seal a 2nd goal for himself late on as he made an encouraging start to the season). Not the way I wanted to start the season, but it can only get better from here….I hope!

Vanarama National League South – Matchday 2
Dulwich Hamlet vs Dorking

Lineup; S.Huk, I.Philpott, D.Ray, O.Gardner, P.Stonehouse, N.McManus, J.Gallagher (D.Gallagher 65), J.McShane, L.Moore (T.Richards 65), J.Barham, J.Prior (E.Buchanan 78)

2. dulwich.jpg

A good effort from the lads in a tough away fixture as we put our first point up on the board! Jack Barham again kicking off the scoring as he looks like he could steal limelight from Jason Prior who hasn’t quite found his rhythm yet….but it’s still early days!

Vanarama National League South – Matchday 3
Dorking vs Weymouth

Lineup; S.Huk, I.Philpott, D.Ray, S.El-Abd (O.Gardner 77), P.Stonehouse, N.McManus (Sent Off 38), J.Gallagher, J.McShane, T.Richards, J.Barham, J.Prior

3. weymouth.jpg

What an absolute shocker of a performance this was! Disgusted from start to finish with the lads as they looked lazy & uninterested throughout! **** poor and sure to say that the entire squad was in training the next morning for the bollocking of a lifetime! Must do better!!

Vanarama National League South – Matchday 4
Chelmsford City vs Dorking

Formation; 4-2-3-1 Wide, Mentality; Positive
Lineup; S.Huk, I.Philpott, O.Gardner, S.El-Abd, P.Stonehouse, D.Gallagher, J.Gallagher, J.McShane, L.Moore (L.Taylor 85), T.Richards, J.Barham (J.Prior 73)

4. chelmsford.jpg

Chelmsford City had made an unbeaten start to their campaign and were top of the league after the opening three fixtures. Big changes were required already I felt, so a complete change in formation was in order as I switched it up to a 4-2-3-1 wide lineup. It did bring on an improved performance, but it’s hard to tell if that was because of the change in tactics or because our Essex opponents played with 10 men for nearly an hour! A good point on paper, but disappointing not to win the game with the man advantage for two thirds of the match.

Vanarama National League South – Matchday 5
Billericay Town vs Dorking

Lineup; S.Huk, I.Philpott, O.Gardner (Sent Off 52), S.El-Abd, P.Stonehouse, D.Gallagher, J.Gallagher, J.McShane, L.Moore (D.Ray 52), T.Richards, J.Barham (J.Prior 68)

5. billericay.jpg

Our first half performance was a very good one and was capped off just before the break when Luke Moore fired home his first goal of the season following a goalmouth scramble. However, a disastrous start to the second half saw Billericay level after Oliver Gardner picked up a 2nd yellow card and they scored from the resulting free kick. Jamie O’Hara subbed himself into the game at that point and it’s clear to see that he is still a class above the rest at this level as he dominated the remainder of the game for our opponents, spraying passes all over the pitch and creating a number of decent chances for Billericay. However, they couldn’t take any of them and we held on for another valuable point. A good result!

Vanarama National League South – Matchday 6
Dorking vs Maidstone United

Lineup; S.Huk, I.Philpott (J.O’Sullivan 71), D.Ray, S.El-Abd*, P.Stonehouse, D.Gallagher, J.Gallagher, J.McShane, L.Moore (L.Taylor 85), T.Richards (J.Muitt 71), J.Barham

6. maidstone.jpg

I feel like this was a missed opportunity to put our first win on the board, but it wasn’t to be, despite us being the better side and creating the better chances. If I’m looking for the positives though, it is our first clean sheet of the season and Sami El-Abd became the first of my players to pick up a man of the match award this year.

league.jpg

Six games into the season and winless, we find ourselves in the bottom two. It’s early days still but we’ll need to climb the table sharpish if I want to avoid unwanted pressures from the board.

Barham.jpg

Player Watch; Jack Barham has stood out as our best player in the early stages of the season and has quickly established himself as my first choice striker, after bagging 5 goals in his opening 6 games!

Not a good return I'm afraid guys!! 16 games into the season, I still had no win to my name and got the chop from the board!! Seems I've got very rusty over the past 6 months of not playing! Fear not, I will be back....just feel a little deflated right now so switching off and will have a think about who to start a new game as! Probably won't be starting right down the bottom like this again though......any suggestions on who you'd like to see a story on are most welcome!

Personally I love a good Premier League save but go with whatever feels right to you mate!