The ones that got away.

MisterStubbs

Reaction score
Just tuined in to the old firm match and caught a glimpse of Gary Hooper and it got me thinking.

This thread is about players that your club released/let go who have gone on to better themselves.

For example my current local side Southend United a couple of seasons ago released Gary Hooper after a disapointing season in League One. Gary was picked up by Scunthorpe United and well the rest is history. Another player springs to mind is Michael Knightly of Wolves, another product of the Southend United academey who was relased by manager at the time Steve Tilson. Knightly joined Greys Athletic and the went on to Wolves and has now played many times in the top flight in English football.

So what players didn't your club take a gamble on? What players left too early in their career and have gone on to bigger/better things?

Raul :'( at a time when we only had 3 strikers
David Beckham
Jose Antonio Reyes we should have got him on a permenant basis
Eto he came up through the Madrid youth academy and look where he is know
Snjeider
Robben
and many more

Zoran Tosic (never really giving a chance)
Adem Ljajic
Diego Forlan
Gerad Pique
Giussepe Rossi

Zoran Tosic (never really giving a chance)
Adem Ljajic
Diego Forlan
Gerad Pique
Giussepe Rossi

Couldn't agree more with Adem Ljajic, Gerard Pique and Giussepe Rossi all of which I though would make it. Where as Forlan had many chances but didn't really show enough for SAF to keep him and Tosic when he played (very limited) didn't look all that.

Chris Brunt (Amazing for WBA)
Glenn Whelan (Had a good first few seasons, now on bench mostly)
Scott Carson (Had him on loan but decided against a permanent deal)
Paul Robinson (Had him on loan but decided against a permanent deal)
Kenwyne Jones (Had him on loan but decided against a permanent deal)
Gabby Agbonolahor (Had him on loan but decided against a permanent deal)
Lee Grant (Maybe, not had many games at Burnley)