The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure

Formia

Reaction score
pentagon.png

Following on from my story from last year, which can be found here, I have set myself the same goal. I have started unemployed with former Sunday league footballer reputation, and will attempt to win all five Champions League competitions. I will be using only my own tactics, and trying to be sustainable with finances at every club I manage. I have loaded the following leagues.

gamepentagoniistatus.png

Honours

South%20Africa.png
F.C.A.K (June 2010 - August 2011)

South African First Division Cup 2010
South African First Division Inland Winners 2011

South%20Korea.png
Busan Transportation Corporation (September 2011 - June 2013
)

South%20Africa.png
Maritzburg United (November 2013 -
)

After applying for a number of available jobs, I soon landed myself at South African semi-professional club F.C.A.K.

fcak.png

On first impressions, the club appears to have some decent quality, but a very threadbare squad. Most of the first team is over 30, there are only about seven players who should be anywhere near the first team, and every single player is part-time. My best player appears to be striker Evans Gwekwerere. He will have a key role in any success we have this season.

After taking a look at the squad, and signing up a decent assistant, I started to scour the transfer market. I moved on some of the deadwood, of which there was a lot, before looking to improve both the quality and the depth of the squad. I managed to pick up some real quality for little outlay in my eyes:

Augustine Mabuya – I signed the 35-year-old left-back on a free transfer, as there were previously no senior full-backs in the first team squad. He had previously been out of the game since 2005, but he is still a quality player.

Zain Brown – I solid right-back who signs for £5k from Ikapa Sporting.

Thabang Matuka – I brought the midfielder in on loan from a club I know very well in Bidvest Wits, and he can make great runs from midfield.

Mhlonishwa Mbambo – A 31-year-old brought in as a backup striker on a free transfer.

Bonga Mogale – Another free transfer signed as a backup to the two very good centre halves.

Chad Botha – A good player who can play in defence or midfield, brought in from Durban Stars for £6k.

Steve Lekoelea – A very talented winger, signed for a relatively large £18k, who will be pushing for a starting place.

Despite a very good pre-season off the pitch, our preparations were mixed on it. Although there were some promising signs, particularly in the win over Jomo Cosmos.

friendlies.png

Last edited:
August 2010

First Division Cup 1st Round
Batau FC 0-6 FCAK
Bunjira (2, 34)
Ntsume (5, 26)
Matuka (14)
Gwekwerere (88)

I couldn’t have asked for a better performance in my first game in management. Three goals from our first three shots set us on our way, and we went on to dominate the game in a fashion I could never have imagined before the match. Ntsume got a double from the left wing, and Bunjira also scored a brace.

FCAK 3-0 Black Leopards
Matuka (7)
Gwekwerere (43)
Bunjira (64)

getimage.php

We picked up where we left off, obtaining a very good three points in our first league match. Midfielder Matuka, on loan from Bidvest Wits, made it two from two, whilst both strikers also go on the score sheet again.

First Division Cup Quarter Final
FCAK 5-4 Thanda Royal Zulu (AET)
Bunjira (26)
Mogale (51)
Gwekwerere (61)
Mokgotjo (pen 71)
Mbambo (100)

I am just astonished. We were 3-0 down after 25 minutes, and somehow managed to pull it back to 3-3. We then conceded again, but equalised from the penalty spot just one minute later to take it to extra time. Substitute Mbambo scored the winner in extra time to set up a Quarter Final tie with Black Leopards.

So a brilliant start to life as a manager, and this season promises to be a good one. Although I still believe the squad is far too small. Matuka picked up an injury after the Black Leopards game, whic will keep him out for four weeks.

I attempted to sign Ghanaian free agent Eric Bisser to strengthen the squad, but he was denied a work permit. So I brought him in on a four week trial, which will hopefully be extended, meaning he will be able to play in cup matches, but not in the league.

Last edited:
Nice to see this back again, I enjoyed it last year. Interesting club to start with but you've had a good start to management! I'll try to keep following this, good luck,

September 2010

FCAK 2-0 United FC
Gwekwerere (12, 57)
We carried on our winning streak in a match we dominated. Gwekwerere another two goals, but it could have been more.

First Division Cup Semi Final
Black Leopards 1-2 FCAK
Gwekwerere (10)
Mbambo (64)
We did brilliantly to establish a two goal lead, with Mbambo again coming on to add to Gwekwerere’s goal, before Black Leopards set up a nervy finish by making it 2-1. But we managed to hang on and therefore qualify for the final.

Tuks 1-2 FCAK
Gwekwerere (15)
Chalwe (36)
A great result against one of the league’s best sides. A similar story to the Black Leopards match, as we built up an important lead, and after Tuks pulled one back, held out for an impressive three points.

MthombeniJoseph100417CelebratesBPP250.jpg

Jomo Cosmos 1-3 FCAK
Ntsume (41)
Mbambo (67)
Bunjira (69)
I was worried when Jomo Cosmos equalised early in the second half. But super sub Mbambo made it 3 goals from 4 substitute appearances to restore our lead, and then Bunjira got on the end of a drilled cross to kill the game off.

We did suffer a setback after the match though, as I was informed that right-back Zain Brown will be out for up to three months. We only have one other right back in the squad, and he is valued at £230 and has an average rating of 5.93 from three appearances.

FCAK 2-0 Batau FC
Gwekwerere (15)
Bunjira (39)
A solid win against the team we beat 6-0 in the cup. It is nice to see both strikers on the score sheet again, and when Batau had a man sent off in the second half, the game was all but over.

FCAK-110115-Celebrates-BPP-250.jpg

Witbank Spurs 0-3 FCAK
Ntsume (21)
Lekoelea (72)
Gwekwerere (83)
We deserved the victory, although Witbank did have chances to equalise at 1-0. But two more goals saw us pick up all three points.

Another incredible month, as I maintain my 100% record as a manager. That has been in no small part down to the form of our strikers, although we have been very solid defensively as well. We kick off next month with the First Division Cup final against Dynamos who, as you can see are our closest challengers in the league.

evansgwekwerereprofilea.png

aloisbunjiraprofileattr.png

Very nice layout mate, best of luck!

October 2010

First Division Cup Final

Soccer-City-Inside.jpg

FCAK 2-1 Dynamos
Ntsume (3)
Chalwe (68)
The final was closely contested in front of over 45,000 people at Soccer City. We got off to a brilliant start, with winger Ntsume opening the scoring within three minutes. Dynamos equalised mid-way through the first half, and with neither team creating many chances, it looked as if it was going to extra time. But Zambian centre-back Sashi Chalwe headed home the winner. It is a great feeling, claiming the first trophy in the club’s history and my first as a manager. And we were also given £100k for the victory, which is a great boost to the club.

martingreenacrenewsinbo.png

EvansGwekwerere.jpg

United FC 1-2 FCAK
Gwekwerere (26)
Ntsume (81)
We couldn’t let complacency creep in after the high of the cup final, but we weren’t at our best today. Fortunately, Ntsume won us the match with a late winner – his sixth goal of the season.

FCAK 4-0 Tuks
Gwekwerere (1, 55)
Bunjira (50)
Chalwe (67)
Gwekwerere got us off to a fantastic start, opening the scoring after just 19 seconds. From there we controlled the game, creating seven clear cut chances, and putting four away. A brilliant performance that extends our winning run.

FCAK 3-2 Dynamos
Gwekwerere (32)
Bunjira (58)
Mokopandu (67)
We recently inflicted their first defeat of the season in the First Division Cup final, and with this win we became the first team to beat them in the league. It was an old-fashioned six-pointer, and we came out on top, despite being 2-1 down at half time. This is a massive win in the title race.

Three months into the season, and we still have a 100% record in all competitions. October has seen us beat our closest competitors twice, with one of those wins resulting in silverware. The cup win has been great for the club on and off the pitch, and we also extended our lead in the league to seven points.

Love stories when people do something different and it seems like you're doing really well, so i'll keep following this :)

November 2010

Black Leopards 2-0 FCAK
So our unbeaten run has come to an end. After going our first 13 matches unbeaten in all competitions, we have now suffered our first setback. It is now about how we react, and as long as we don’t lose our next match, it could actually do us some good. It was only a matter of time, but we are still seven points clear at the top.

FCAK 2-0 Jomo Cosmos
Ntsume (1)
O.G. (90)
The perfect response to defeat, as we beat a very good team in Jomo Cosmos. We opened the scoring in the first minute, but we had to wait until the last minute to be certain of victory, as an own goal put us two up.

article_6116_B08KVFDA010W.jpg

Batau 1-2 FCAK
Gwekwerere (24, 32)
Not as convincing a victory as I would have hoped for against the bottom team, but we did have a goal disallowed in the first three minutes. It is nice to see Gwekwerere back on the score sheet, though.

FCAK 4-2 Witbank Spurs
Gwekwerere (24, 45, 71)
Morfou (pen 79)
We deserved the victory, but it is largely down to Gwekwerere, who notched a brilliant hat-trick to give us the lead on three occasions. !7-year-old striker Morfou then came on for his debut, and sealed the win from the penalty spot.

Following his five goals in two games, the media have been ‘falling over themselves’ to praise Evans Gwekwerere. And with 18 goals in 17 games overall this season, quite rightly so. But it just tickled me that in the space of one match, the press have gone from calling him this:

To this:

Anyway, after losing our first match of the season, we got straight back to winning ways in the rest of the month. And after a couple of slipups from Dynamos, we have extended our lead to 11 points.

Glad to see this back mate,really enjoyed last years and your doing great so far.
Best of luck :)

Fantastic, really like the layout and always enjoy reading about peoples successes where they start out at a small club, will definitely be a follower. Good luck, although by the looks of how things are going u will be have lots of success this season.
If u get time please check out my story. AFC Wimbledon - The Rise of the Wombles'.

Many thanks

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

Fantastic, really like the layout and always enjoy reading about peoples successes where they start out at a small club, will definitely be a follower. Good luck, although by the looks of how things are going u will be have lots of success this season.
If u get time please check out my story. AFC Wimbledon - The Rise of the Wombles'.

Many thanks

Thanks for the comments, there will be an update soon as there were only a couple of matches in December.

December 2010

Dynamos 4-1 FCAK
Bunjira (62)
It is disappointing to lose to the second place team, but I am even more disappointed with the way we conceded the second goal. It reminded me of the Fabregas goal against Spurs, as straight from our kick-off after their first goal, the ball didn’t leave the centre circle before we were dispossessed and they immediately went up the other end and scored again. That goal killed the game off, and at 3-0 at half time we had to go for it. We got one back through Bunjira, but in stoppage time Dynamos made sure of the win.

getimage.php

FCAK 3-3 United FC
Gwekwerere (35, 86, 90)
We took the lead, before going 3-1 down, and looked on course to slump to a second consecutive defeat. But two more brilliant goals from Gwekwerere not only sealed his hat-trick, but completed a great comeback.

Friendly
FCAK 2-1 Sundowns
With our next league match coming on New Year’s Day, I scheduled a friendly against Premier League opposition, and gave some reserves a run out. We got an impressive victory, but it came as a price, as Ntsume, who has been brilliant this season with seven goals, suffered an injury that will keep him out for up to five weeks. And we don’t have another natural left winger.

View attachment 143459

Just over half the season, and our lead has been reduced to six points. Strangely, we only appear to have four matches over the next two months. So I will probably update January and February together. At least it gives me time to try and bring one or two new players in.

Love the layout, i enjoyed the last one so I will follow!

Thanks mate.

Just wondering, for those who followed my last story, which layout do you prefer? The link to the old one is in the OP. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Ahhh, Never seen an African Story, i will follow with great interest

Thanks mate.

Just wondering, for those who followed my last story, which layout do you prefer? The link to the old one is in the OP. I would appreciate your thoughts.

I like the current one... with a player of the month bit would be nice and also if you could add what you win in your OP like in the old thread.

I like the current one... with a player of the month bit would be nice and also if you could add what you win in your OP like in the old thread.

Thanks, I will start doing a player of the month, and it should help you get to know the squad. And I have added my first trophy to the OP.