The Pentagon - An Intercontinental Adventure

Pre-Season Update

4103.jpg

busanlinkterminated.png

expectations.png

The board showed me great backing, offering a hefty wage and transfer budget, of which I spent relatively little. And they also agreed with my desire for an upgrade to our training facilities, but they refused to improve upon the meagre youth facilities.

friendlies.png

There was a very long break before the season began, so we managed to fit in quite a few friendlies. They kicked off with back to back victories over K-League opposition. I then tried out a new 4-2-2-2 formation against the weaker teams, which produced a lot of chances, and I think I will try it out against some of the weaker sides in the league this season.

Transfers

We were also productive off the pitch. As well as signing up a great scout and a good coach, we managed to attract a couple of good players. We didn’t have too much activity, as we didn’t need it, but I am reasonably happy with our business.

Ji Sang-Hoon

I brought in the experienced goalkeeper on a free transfer after last season’s number one’s loan from Busan ran out.

Kim Dong-Hyo

wasteofmoney.png

I was delighted to be able to bring him in, as I identified him as a target pretty soon after joining. The fans weren’t happy, and at £100k we did overpay, but I feel he will be worth it, and could probably do a job in the K-League.

Choi Young-Nam

The midfielder was deemed surplus to requirements at Ulsan, so I decided to bring him in on loan to take a look at him, with an agreed future fee of £1k. He looks a decent player, and if he impresses, we will snap him up at that bargain price.

Kim Dong-Hyo

Yep, another Kim Dong-Hyo! This one is a striker I brought in on loan on deadline day to try and replace Chul-Ho, who picked up a bad injury in a friendly. I didn’t even have time to get my scout’s opinion on him. Hopefully his pace will cause a problem, but unfortunately with Chul-Ho out we don’t have a single target man. All of our other strikers are natural poachers. We paid £4k for the loan deal with an agreed price of £18k, but I don’t think I will be taking that option.

Yes, an Update :D.....Can't wait for the season to kick off....

April 2012

Changwon 0-1 Busan TC
The perfect way to start the new campaign, with three points away from home. £100k man Kim Dong-Hyo took a big step towards proving his doubters wrong, scoring the winner on his debut. Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come.

Busan TC 1-1 Incheon Korail
We were unlucky not to take all three points today, but our strikers weren’t at the races. Incheon Korail had a man sent off in the 73rd minute at 1-1, but we couldn’t capitalise.

Yongin City 1-0 Busan TC
It was a fairly even match, in which we didn’t play particularly well, but neither did they. But on 78 minutes, Yongin were presented with the only real chance of the match, and took it. We now need to pick ourselves up and try and win the next match.

timthumb.php

Busan TC 1-1 Yesan
Another even match against the team that finished second from bottom last season. It could have been 4-4, but it was 0-0 up until the 87th minute when Yesan took a surprise lead. In a desperate attempt to salvage a point, we threw bodies forward, and eventually found the equaliser in stoppage time. Kim Dong-Hyo (the other one (the loan signing)) came off the bench to score the goal. His first for the club.

Mokpo 2-1 Busan TC
This was a completely one-sided match, as they were all over us today. When they took the lead in the 58th minute, we hadn’t had a single shot. But surprisingly, eight minutes later, we equalised. But I suppose it was too good to be true, and Mokpo grabbed a deserved win late on.

4099.jpg

Busan TC 3-1 Ulsan HMD
At last, we have got our second win of the season. After an awful first half, I switched it to 4-2-2-2. But despite the change, we went a goal down with less than half an hour to play. Fortunately, last season’s Player of the Year Jae-Young equalised with his first goal of the season. Two goals from Dong-Hyo (100k) earned us the three points.

A mixed months with some disappointing defeats, but it ended with a win, and hopefully that signals a turning point. And maybe proves that 4-2-2-2 is the way forward. But those two victories mean we are still in touch with the big guns. Our first match of next month is against former parent club Busan l’PARK, so I think the formation change will have to wait a week. There is also some good news on the Cha Chul-Ho front, as he has returned to training. And we have missed him big time.

Player of the Month: Kim Dong Hyo

Three goals and two Man of the Match awards in six appearances have silenced the fans who said he was a waste of money. When Chul-Ho comes back, I will now be left with a selection dilemma.

Last edited:
May 2012

Busan 2-2 Busan TC
We took a surprise lead against recently relegated Busan, with Jae-Young finishing off a beautifully worked move. Two goals from corners then put the home side in front mid-way through the second half. But Dong-Hyo came off the bench to grab another goal, and a brilliant point against the title favourites.

busan.jpg

Busan TC 2-0 Daejeon KHNP
Two first half goals from Dong-Hyo, making it five goals in three for him, gave as a very good victory in a match we were expected to lose. Both sides then had a player sent off in the second half, and the game ended 2-0. We really seem to be getting back to our best.

Ansan Hallelujah 0-2 Busan TC
Another really good win, with both strikers Jae-Young and Dong-Hyo again getting on the score sheet. They are starting to strike a great partnership, keeping Chul-Ho out of the team.

Busan TC 1-0 Cheonan City
This was a match we were expected to win, and we made a few chances, but were struggling to break the deadlock in the first half. But it was that man Don-Hyo that smashed in the winner to make it nine points from three games and push us up the table.

Gangneung City 0-1 Busan TC
Another win, but not as comfortable as it perhaps should have been against the bottom team. Just like against Cheonan, we struggled to fnid the net, but a counter attacking goal in the second half from winger Seong-Bok earned the three points. This is not only our fourth consecutive win, but all of those wins have brought clean sheets, which is a great sign.

donghyoinjury.png

After a great run of form, Dong-Hyo picked up a bad injury, which is a big blow. Fortunately we have Chul-Ho to come into the team, but we are going to miss his clinical finishing, which has earned us quite a few points this month.

After an indifferent start to the season, we have really pushed on and May was a brilliant month. We are level with former parent club Busan, and if we avoid defeat in our game in hand we will move above them. We also have the best defensive record in the league, thanks largely to the last four matches, and the new goalkeeper has settled in perfectly.

Player of the Month: Kim Dong-Hyo

martingreenacrenewsinbo.png

busantransportationcorp.png

For the second consecutive month, at had to be Dong-Hyo. He scored five goals in May before picking up an injury in our final game. And the way he has completely turned around the fans’ views on him, from a waste of money to an inspired bargain, is testament to just how good he has been.

June 2012

Busan TC 0-0 Kimhae
We are missing Dong-Hyo already. It was a pretty even match, as both teams had a few half chances, but we had nobody to put them away. But Kimhae are a good side, so it’s not a terrible result, even at home.

Chungju Hummel 1-1 Busan TC
We conceded our first goal in six matches from the penalty spot today, and it was never a penalty. That goal put us a goal down, and we had to wait until the 93rd minute to find an equaliser. It was right winger Seong-Bok with the goal, as he keeps up his great form.

1300078935_%EC%82%AC%EC%A7%84%20042_conv.jpg.jpg

Busan TC 1-2 Goyang Kookmin Bank
We were unlucky today as we lost to the league leaders. We hit the woodwork early on, before the away side took the lead. We hit the post again in the second half, before Park Jung-Ho came on for the first time since returning from injury, and equalised following a good passing move. Goyang then took the lead again late on to win the game. We had a great chance to equalise in stoppage time, but Jae-Young shot straight at the ‘keeper.

A disappointing month to end the opening stage on. But at the half way mark, we are still very much in the hunt for a play-off place. The closing stage doesn’t start until September, so that gives Dong-Hyo a chance to get back to fitness.

Player of the Month: Jung Ho-Jin

The defender has been consistently solid this season, and played a big part in our run of clean sheets which came to an end against Chungju Hummel.

Wow, in 5th just by 1 goal....:)

Had a good May though mate....April was a little iffy though but i reckon you'll do it

Glad to see that thinks are looking up.I may not comment much but im a definite follower from the story last year. Keep up the good work and best of luck in the N-League. :)

Well, alot of points gained and quite a few points dropped yet again. Good luck in the closing stage.

Thanks for the comments.

The only signings I made in the mid-season window were the player I had on loan signed on a free, and I also brought in an 18-year-old midfielder. Hopefully if we get promoted I can strengthen then.

September 2012

Busan TC 2-0 Changwon
A great performance, with two Dong-Hyo goals winning the game. Oh, how we have missed him. Changwon were reduced to ten men in the last five minutes, but by that point the match was done and dusted. The win now sends us above Changwon into fourth, so it really was a six pointer.

Incheon Korail 0-1 Busan TC
An injury time goal from loanee Dong-Hyo snatched an unconvincing, but no less satisfying win. The same player, on as a second half substitute, should have made it 2-0 even deeper into stoppage time, but the one goal was enough to keep the pressure on the league leaders.

Busan TC 0-0 Yongin City
I was disappointed with this draw against the team second from bottom in the league. But we always seem to struggle against the lesser teams. Clean sheets are never a problem, but we do need to start scoring more goals.

Yesan 0-1 Busan TC
A better performance, and it was another goal from the league’s top scorer Dong-Hyo that won it for us. The win continues our brilliant start to the closing stage, which we now sit top of.

090514_p22_suwon.jpg

Busan TC 1-0 Mokpo
Another solid performance, and I think you can guess who the match winner was. We are still struggling to score goals, but thankfully our defensive record is such that the odd goal is normally enough to win matches.

Ulsan HMD 0-2 Busan TC
A great performance in a match which saw us score our first goal from a set piece all season! It is something we have been working on at the training ground, and hopefully it can continue to pay off. Oh yeah, and Dong-Hyo scored again.

Things are really starting to look up. We are three points clear at the top of the closing stage, and if we win our game in hand, we will go top of the overall league table.

martingreenacrenewsinbo.png

This has summed up our season. We set a record for clean sheets, yet we have scored the same number of goals all season as the bottom team. Dong-Hyo seems to be the only one who can put the ball in the back of the net, but defensively we have been magnificent. Although to be fair, our style of play doesn’t create a great deal of chances.

Player of the Month: Kim Dong-Hyo

What more can I say about this guy? His 13 goals in 15 starts and one substitute appearance has been a huge contributing factor of our success so far this season. The fans were unsure when I signed him, but they have now all changed their tune, and he will be a big part of the future of this club.

Thanks both of you. Although I am a little concerned by 24 goals scored in 20 matches.

2 points lost against Yongin but so many points gained. Your team's really making up for the opening stage, aren't they?

Yes, the matches have been similar, but we have just been edging wins in the closing stage, probably due to the defense. But most of the points we drop still seem to come against teams we should beat.

October 2012

Busan TC 1-0 Busan
A brilliant result which sends us above our former parent club. This just shows the great progress we are making. Busan dominated possession, but Lee Jae-Young finished off a good counter attack to give us a first half lead, and our defence once again managed a shut-out.

busan-ipark-south-ko_95610.jpg

Daejeon KHNP 0-3 Busan TC

I have no idea how we won this game 3-0. It was one of the most one-sided matches I’ve ever seen, and that side was Daejeon. Early on I feared the worst, as they bombarded our goal, but some fantastic goalkeeping and a slice of luck was keeping them out. And then we scored from our first three shots in the match to give us a half time lead of 3-0. Two of those were brilliant finishes from Chul-Ho, who was only in the team because Dong-Hyo was suspended. In the second half we had a man sent off, but they still couldn’t breach our defence and it ended with three points.

Busan TC 1-2 Ansan Hallelujah
We conceded our first goals for nine matches today, and they both came from corners. Thinking complacency would set in against one of the bottom sides, I told the players I expected a win, but it didn’t work and once again we went down to the lower mid-table side.

Cheonan City 0-3 Busan TC
We bounced back with an impressive 3-0 win away from home. It was 1-0 with five minutes left, but two quick goals killed off any chance of a comeback. It was a fairly even match, but our defence was back to its best, with two of our centre-backs as the top two performers on the pitch.

5534042778_3b9f9343a9.jpg

Busan TC 6-0 Gangneung City
Finally, we’ve recorded a convincing win over the bottom team. I went with 4-2-2-2, and it produced the goods, although I will probably revert back to 3-5-2 for the next match. Kim Donng-Hyo scored four goals, with three of them coming in the first 34 minutes, before I took him off, and his loanee namesake was also on the score sheet.

Kimhae 0-1 Busan TC
Those three points mean we have secured a play-off place with two games still to play. It was a close encounter, but a Dong-Hyo goal midway through the first half was enough to win it. Not only did the win seal our place in the play-offs, but it also put an end to Kimhae’s top four hopes.

Apart from that little blip against Ansan, it has been a brilliant month for us, one of my best in management. We finally broke the curse which stops us beating the bottom teams, and did it in style, as well as huge wins over Busan and Daejeon. As I say, we are now guaranteed a play-off spot, and we are also certain of top spot in the closing stage. We now just need to keep up this momentum and make sure I don’t have more play-off heartbreak.

Last edited: