The Perfect Partnership – Discussion Thread

TheBetterHalf

Patient Moderator
Reaction score

The Perfect Partnership – Discussion Thread

In this thread we discuss – in a more indepth manor – how to setup the perfect partnership. It could be the hardworking MC next to your more deep-lying playmaker or the fullback that bombs down the wing and his partner winger that opens up the space for him.

Share your experience and perhaps tell us about the thought behind your decision to tweak the advanced playmaker and Ballwinner roles into something you call “ The Creative Ballwinner” and what player you had in mind when constructing this role. Perhaps ad some pkms on a game where you show us just how you have setup the perfect Striker partnership where the players moves down the flanks and puts in crosses for the other striker to head into the net

Please notice that the aim with this thread is so that we can share our ideas and NOT a thread where you ask questions HOW to setup the perfect MC-MC combo

Let the discussion begin :D

-

Here is one example of how I like to setup some of my players within a 442

The Pacey Winger, The Pacey Poacher and the Creative MC

Opening up space

One of my favourite partnerships within a flat 442 is the “The Pacey Winger, The Pacey Poacher and the Deeplying and Creative MC. The aim with this combination is to use the players at their best by opening up space for each other. The players in questions are those playing on the same flank, i.e, the MCright, The MR and the FCright

Opening up the space

- The MC,sitting deeper and not making forward runs ahead of the ball, dragges both the AI MC and/or the winger onto him opening up space between the AI midfield and defence or out wide infront of the AI fullback

- The Poacher, with a free role and cut inside roames and looks for free space, either dragging the AI DC out of position or engage the Fullback, opening up space inside the same.

- The Winger moves from out wide, either down the line with or without the ball or inside dragging the winger out of position

Using the space

- The Winger moves inside when the space is opened up by the MC and supports the FC when he is out wide. He also stays wide, using the space that the FC has opened up for him getting the ball wide and having cut inside

- The poacher moves into the free space outside that the Winger have created by dragging the FB onto him once the MC has pulled out the winger

thewinger.png

thepoacher.png

thedeeplyingmc.png

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 06:11 PM ----------

As its a discussion thread...Bump

Last edited:
I'd like to bring up the Stopper and Cover partnership, on FM11 I have had Major success using the limited defender stopper/cover partnership.

The stopper coming forward and closing down midfielders and blocking any shots.

The cover dropping behind the defence and sweeping up any through balls that get through, he is usually the pacier of the two.

anyone know of a good partnership to go upfront, two roles and duties that have worked well for you in the past?

poacher and deep lying forward support
the pocher scores the goals and the deep lying player links up with the midfield and assists the poacher and scores a few also

Target Man Attack, Poacher Attack

Advanced Forward Attack, Poacher Attack

Deep Lying Forward Support, Poacher Attack

or be a legend and have emile heskey and jason scotland upfront together

My favourite is a partnership that I have set my self

- An Advanced player moving into channels ( mixed settings in everything)
- A more deeplying with a free role ( mixed in all but run with ball =rarely), playing more direct

Here, we ensure that one player opens up space for the other to move into. Against team sitting deep, the more Advanced player stretches the defence and opens up space for the deelying. Against a pushed up defence, the more deeplying drags the defence even higher up and his partner runs in behind

Last edited:
A Favourite partnership of mine is an Inside Forward, Deep Lying/Complete/ Defensive forward and a Attacking Wingback.

The Deep Lying Forward drops deep and draws the marking CB onto him, opening up space for the pacy inside forward to drive into. The Opposition Fullback is stuck at this point as he has a Wingback pressing him and therefore cannot track the inside forward, leading to a shooting/crossing opportunity and usually a goal.

Ive combined this with your Deep lying Playmaker, Pacy Winger, Pacy Poacher trio and have created a system that effectively makes a defensive system useless.

Suprised this thread hasn't had more replies tbh as it's an interesting subject.

Advanced Playmaker - Malouda
Poacher - Torres
Target Man - Drogba
What a combination :D

Does anyone know how to give a player a free role?

Just started a United save and want to give Rooney a free role - but can't find the option for it.

Just started a United save and want to give Rooney a free role - but can't find the option for it.

Well, if you play him in striker position then complete forward, if in AMC position then advanced playmaker/attacking midfielder. Creative freedom to max, allow roam from position and basicly put everything to mixed, but you can change them a little depending on how you want him to play. Also trequartista might work, but I don't like using one because I haven't been able to get him link with other players, and you can be sure that he will not defend very well...

Its called roam from position and you find it under Tactic-the player( in this case rooney)-advanced.

Next time, please kep on the subject ;D

---------- Post added at 02:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 AM ----------

A Favourite partnership of mine is an Inside Forward, Deep Lying/Complete/ Defensive forward and a Attacking Wingback.

The Deep Lying Forward drops deep and draws the marking CB onto him, opening up space for the pacy inside forward to drive into. The Opposition Fullback is stuck at this point as he has a Wingback pressing him and therefore cannot track the inside forward, leading to a shooting/crossing opportunity and usually a goal.

Ive combined this with your Deep lying Playmaker, Pacy Winger, Pacy Poacher trio and have created a system that effectively makes a defensive system useless.

Its when you find these combinations that you find that attack is the best defence. You cant beat movement :D

---------- Post added at 02:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 AM ----------

Suprised this thread hasn't had more replies tbh as it's an interesting subject.

Well, to be able to survive, these kind of threads needs to be stickied as there are so many threads opened every day asking one simple question that belongs in the stickies

poacher - falcao
advanced forward - hulk

falcao scored 45 goals!!! hulk scored 26 and assisted 31!!! best partnership i've managed

poacher - falcao
advanced forward - hulk

falcao scored 45 goals!!! hulk scored 26 and assisted 31!!! best partnership i've managed

Its nice that you share this but to avoid this thread turning into a non indepth thread, please provide more information on why you gave them these roles and under what circumstances it worked. have a look in the quote form the opening post

Cheers

In this thread we discuss – in a more indepth manor – how to setup the perfect partnership. It could be the hardworking MC next to your more deep-lying playmaker or the fullback that bombs down the wing and his partner winger that opens up the space for him.

Share your experience and perhaps tell us about the thought behind your decision to tweak the advanced playmaker and Ballwinner roles into something you call “ The Creative Ballwinner” and what player you had in mind when constructing this role. Perhaps ad some pkms on a game where you show us just how you have setup the perfect Striker partnership where the players moves down the flanks and puts in crosses for the other striker to head into the net

Its nice that you share this but to avoid this thread turning into a non indepth thread, please provide more information on why you gave them these roles and under what circumstances it worked. have a look in the quote form the opening post

Cheers

porto10-11.jpg

Start of the season I used a rigid 4-4-2, throughout the season I used the 4-4-2 making small tweaks. As the image shows, I turned Hulk 'The Incredible Hulk'.

I played attacking, rigid to keep defensive players operating defensively, pressing and pushing high up to increase the chance of retaining the ball or pressuring the opposition into mistakes. I gave Hulk a free role as advanced forward, it was impossible to mark him as he's always drifting into space and different positions where as Falcao was the fox in the box with not alot of creative freedom, together they linked up superbly. The credit doesn't go just to the men linking upfront, without Badelj and Joao Moutinho contributing to 46 assists between them. Give either of them a gap and they will pass the ball through it! Joao Moutinho's mental stats are immense, this is important because he's the heart of the team, everything would happen from him. I had him operating as a deep-lying playmaker defensively, and Badelj as a advanced playmaker supporting. Badelj long shots and finishing aren't great, but training him to pass instead of shoot and pick out a killer through ball feeds Falcao.

With Porto's pitch being long and suitable for teams who play a direct style, getting Falcao to run onto the ball is effective with him and Hulk both having great pace, the pitch suits there style.

I'm now starting season two as the league champions, bear in mind not dropping a point at home at Stade do Dragao since taking charge! I've had bids of 12M for Otamendi, 17M for Badelj who I paid 3.4M seems to be a great signing! (I rejected the bid :D) Also Hulk's been tough to keep settled with all the European giants bidding around 19M for him, however I value him around 40M and there's not many versatile players like him! He can play on the left wing, uprfront, pacey, incredibly strong, finish, scores many freekicks, all round great striker!

I suggest when deciding what players you want, make sure they fit your formation and make sure you use your pitch to your advantage!

Thank you,

touchline shouts
get stuck in(when losing the ball players will break down counter-attacking moments as when playing with a fluid 4-4-2 attacking and pushed high up, you will force the opposition into there own half and making yourself vulnerable to a counter-attack)

work ball into box(avoids long shots, I use this as Hulk likes shooting from distance so I made sure he would dribble past opposition or look for the simple pass instead of wasting an opportunity!)

pass into space(with a rigid 4-4-2 sometimes you will find your team lacks movement especially if you haven't got the right midfield or strikeforce, with an advanced forward, they will latch onto these balls especially when having your target man running onto balls!)

Last edited:
@thebetterhalf

earilier you posted PIs of that triple combo. You had set poacher's wide play to cut inside, and I have been wondering how will it affect play of a central player? I understand that wide players come to middle leaving the flank open, but don't understand how will STC or AMC etc. affect with that wide play instruction.

this seems to be one of them areas that when you do find the right partnership they seem to just click for you and from there it starts. I always find when playing lower leagues you can tend to get away with just the one up top and play AMR and AML who contain alot of pace to support this so called 'target man'.

Looking on it again from a view of partnerships i would feel that the big guy little guy routine would work out.....i dont go for big clubs normally so never get to experiment with this kind of strike force but crouch and hernadez with the right tactics surly is a winner in most situations as you got the guy to flick on and win the ball and then you got the nippy player who can make a rubbish flick on something special.

It really isnt terribly difficult to make a space exploiting system. Especially against Man Marking systems.

Fullbacks set to- Wingback (Attack)
Wide Mids set to- Winger (support) cutting inside.

That really opens up space and gets alot of goals through this. Especially against teams who use advanced wingers E.G Chelsea/ Arsenal.

The Opposition Fullback tracks inside to follow the winger and your fullback bombs forward. Easy.
Causing opposition Fullbacks to track inside has the added advantage if your pressing high up as you will tend to win the ball higher too XD

Heres an example of how devastating opening up/using space/off the ball movement is.

Last edited:
I've recently been playing a 4 - 3 - 3, two wide mids and three strikers. STL and STR are both tall, strong Target Men and STC is a poacher. Been raking in the goals! 6 - 5 loss to Man City (was 4 - 0 down with 10 men at one point, and about 5, 3 - 3 draws in the league. Obviously my defense is struggling so that's something I need to work on.

as barcelona (bad example maybe) but - only played about 8 league games but it is working so far:

villa - poacher with free role; Messi - trequartista, RFD often, RWB often, T-balls -
inside forward attack

inside forward with the cut inside is especially dangerous on the counter attack as messi drops dep and can play a T-ball..

Messi just moves around and because he moves in to channels he is usually playable on the right wing although he isnt positioned there. He both scores and assist, hope it continues.

Villa is also scoring immensily right now, although i would like him to set up messi more - maybe a change to adv.forward might help..

Villa is also scoring immensily right now, although i would like him to set up messi more - maybe a change to adv.forward might help..

Try Playing Villa as a Complete Forward Support, use the template from The Amatuer tacticians chalkboard for best results.
He will drop deeper and open up more space for messi.

I do this at tottenham with Pav and Lennon.
Both on 15-20 goals a season.

As Lazio the old "christmas tree" formation worked wonders, but particularly upfront.

I played Zarate on his own upfront, set as a poacher, with two AMC's behind, Mauri set to attacking midfielder/support and Hernanes Advanced playmaker/support. This was also helped in attacking situation from both my wingers set to attack.

In forward plays. usually started by my defence or my defensive midfielder, they would spread to the wings where they attempted to find space. They would either cross infront of the defense on counters, giving Zarate an easy tap in, put the cross deeper and have Mauri slot it in from the edge of the box, or pass to Hernanes to try and construct something more creative, such as switching wings, running with the ball to draw the defense out, or simply having a go at goal himself.

It worked great, I've deleted the save now but we won at least 80% of games and we were sitting in 1st after beating Juventus, AC Milan and Genoa after 18 games.

Back