The Perfect Partnership – Discussion Thread

Try Playing Villa as a Complete Forward Support, use the template from The Amatuer tacticians chalkboard for best results.
He will drop deeper and open up more space for messi.

I do this at tottenham with Pav and Lennon.
Both on 15-20 goals a season.

Ok thanks, will play around abit.. he´s doing fine right now as a poacher with roaming

I wanted to ask if is there any partnership in attack with 3 players?

ok.
well, Ive made it work before.

2 deep lying, 1 poacher. Poacher in the middle.

Its not about how you set up your attack though, you need to set up your midfield to get the strikers to score. 2 Box to Box with a Defensive mid tends to work wonders.

Try that.

I wanted to ask if is there any partnership in attack with 3 players?

when i was barcelona in 2015

my front three was messi, neymar and sangogo...they are pretty much the best strikers in the game and was very hard to lose many games

@thebetterhalf

earilier you posted PIs of that triple combo. You had set poacher's wide play to cut inside, and I have been wondering how will it affect play of a central player? I understand that wide players come to middle leaving the flank open, but don't understand how will STC or AMC etc. affect with that wide play instruction.

Cut inside is a with the ball movement so when providing him with this wide play option, it makes him go straight at goal from his position out wide( roaming)

TBH,
Could you please tell me a real football player - analogue of a deeplying fwd support with more direct passing and less running with ball? You mentioned it earlier along with an advanced fwd as a combo. I got some problems imaging(in my head - it's all Barca/Arsenal short passing style these days :P) more direct passing and can't exactly understand the pros and cons from his direct style. Is he supposed to sharpen the pace of the attack with a direct pass to the advanced fwd or wingers?

Last edited:
Which role would be the best partner for Pastore(adv.palaymaker-Attack) in the midfield?

I always find a DLFw(S) alongside an AdvancedFw works well. The DLF drops into the hole, giving a great link to the attack, and utilizing the pace of the AdvFw.

Currently testing a TQ/Poacher partnership. Will post results when I get some :)

A problem many people have had is how to use the sweeper system effectively. I think I've found a good way to solve this problem and thus recreate the stinginess of Catenaccio style defences...

The free man (libero) sits behind two central defenders, mopping up the space behind the man marking stopper defenders. Very simple and pretty effective. Although the downside is that you have to pull a man out of midfield, to play behind the defence...

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...5252-recreation-tactic-catenaccio-libero.html

I don't know if I'm on the right thread for this, buuut I've been tinkering around a lot lately with settings and trying to think about 'new positions'. I took a look a few seasons in at Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, and wanted to buy him and give him a go as a sort of Targetman/Trequartista hybrid. The idea being he has the attributes and strength to hold up the ball whilst also being as creative as a Trequartista. His job wouldn't be to score goals, but to double up the opportunities for chances for other players, possessing the skills of a treq yet also having the strength and aerial ability that they often lack.

Back on topic, could do with a hand on personal sliders to get the max from him on this type of role + the ideal partner for him, stuck between playing him on his own with inside forwards in all the am slots, and advanced forward or a poacher.

From personal experience; I have found that a Trequartista and Poacher partnership is the most lethal. Getting your Trequartista to hold up the ball and try killer balls often allows him to lure centrebacks out of position for the Poacher to exploit, sometimes creating simple one on one chances.
Although this is very dependant on the Trequartista so he should be one of the better players on your team, creativity is essential.

Back