PZW

Reaction score
This story is based on a Football Manager 2012 Handheld save (the iOS Handheld) - it is the first on FM-Base to be based on FMH! Please give constructive criticism, even if it seems picky, but make sure it is constructive! I will try and update this often, and it does help that the save is very portable (so I can go on it in any time I have spare, not just when I'm on the computer)! This story is not based on a real story, but completely fake, all the characters (apart from the board and players) are all fake. Please like this post, or leave a comment, if you like what I have written, to help motivate me to go on further! I hope to update this regularly, so please subscribe if you want updates on this story! Thanks for taking the time to read this, and enjoy the story!

--------------------------------------------------

Prologue: The Glory Days
Thursday 17th August 2006

The sun was shining on a beautiful summer's day in Devon, with the distinct smell of freshly mowed lawn floating around in the warm and gentle breeze. The salty tang of fish and chips could also be smelt, the smell drifted from the nearby burger stand. Children's voices could be heard, as they chattered away whilst hanging around in the street, and so could the roar of cars' engines. It really was the typical August day, a day perfect for lazing around on the beach, or having a barbecue.

The pitch was immaculate, there was not a trace of mud, nor a darker coloured patch of grass visible anywhere. The deafening whirring of the lawn mower, which had not been turned off, drowned out all other noises and made anyone nearby cover their eyes. Finally, the pitch caretaker had returned, and he finally switched the motor off. He then proceeded to inspect every inch of the pitch, to ensure there were no weeds, no potholes and no places where it was a little too watery. He saw that it was perfect, and went inside to hydrate himself, having been dehydrated by such a fierce sun.

Three hours later, the fans poured in, wearing an assortment of coloured clothes. There was the famous dark green of Plymouth Argyle and the red and white stripes of Exeter City. There seemed to be a massive queue for refreshments, with supporters of both sides pushing and shoving to get to the front of the queue and get their food before the big game kicked off. Slowly, the queue died down and the fans settled down into their seats, early anticipating the big game.

Fans clashed, so did players: after all, this was a fierce local derby in which a loss couldn't bear thinking about. This was not just about the three points, no, much, much more than that: it was for pride, tradition and for their cities. Friends were enemies, if only for a day, and there was intense hatred from one side to the other as blood boiled. That was what derbies were about, after all! The cheering before kick off was unbelievable, it was like a wall of sound, knocking anyone who dared to listen to it down and daring someone to silence them. It was almost a shouting contest, to see which set of fans could cheer the loudest, but the real deal would be settled on the pitch.

For the twenty two men on the field, this was one of the most important games of their lives, the big one. The one everyone was talking about, the one everybody was thinking about, and now it had come. It all relied on them to deliver, to deliver a performance worthy of their club, of their fans, of their city. It had to be a fight to the death, a typical derby scrap, with grit, determination and adrenaline. Finally, the game kicked off, to enormous roars from the crowd. The game had started, the game to see if the glory days would continue for Plymouth...

Last edited:
good to see a argyle story :) following
Thanks for the support, although you don't really know it's a Plymouth Argyle story yet! Haha, I can tell you it is - and I hope you'll enjoy it! I chose Plymouth for a bit of a challenge, seeing as they are probably (no offence) one of the worst teams in League Two with poor finances!

By the way, I have been busy today, and my laptop's charger has broken, so I cannot really write any updates! I will be able to continue when the replacement arrives, so expect an update tomorrow or the day after (most likely Wednesday or Thursday). Thanks for the support, and I hope the new update will be worth the wait!

​- PZW

Sorry about the lack of updates, like I said, my laptop is currently not usable (although I do have a desktop computer - which I rarely use). Also, I had a test today and I have another one tomorrow, so I will update a lot more regularly! There should be an update tonight, so stay tuned! Thanks for following!

​- PZW

Good start, always love a story about Argyle.. so keep the updates coming!

Good start, always love a story about Argyle.. so keep the updates coming!
Thanks for the feedback, I will be posting a new update shortly! Do you have any comments or constructive criticism in order to help this story improve? Thanks for reading the story, anyway!

​- PZW

Chapter 1: Nostalgia
Sunday 27th June 2011

The sun was shining on a beautiful summer's day in Devon, and I stood in the centre of the pitch, struggling to hide my enormous grin. I took in the surroundings, ones which were so familiar to me, almost as familiar as my home. No, in fact, this was my home! This was the place I was most happy, and returning to it brought back memories - both good and bad. I felt the nostalgia as vividly as I felt the warm summer breeze blowing around me. It was good to be back, I was back and better than ever!

You see, I had been appointed manager of Plymouth Argyle Football Club, who had told me in no uncertain terms that I would need to prove myself if I wanted to stay there for the long term. I had, against the odds, beat competition from other managerial candidates, the most famous person was Leroy Rosenior. I was proud of it, but I knew that I hadn't made it as a manager. There was no doubt about that, getting appointed as the manager of a professional football team was only step one!

The board had issued a statement explaining my appointment: 'We have appointed Matthew Johnson as the new Plymouth Argyle manager after the mutual termination of Peter Reid's contract. We are delighted to announce Johnson as the new Argyle manager, since he has already gained so much respect at this club and we believe he is the right man forward. We believe he can take his managerial success in the lower leagues into this job, and we have decided to offer him a one year contract to prove himself'. I knew it wouldn't easy, and the hard work had only just begun...