The pinkies are needed for a beautiful hand. Palermo story

Be careful when you are on a losing streak. That ******* Zamperini is sack happy and should also remain true in this game. Hope for a consortium to come in

Too late, the sack already had come. Rejecting the meeting = resigning, which I thought would be = high chances of being sacked

16-17 season, new team.

The offer that came in was LOSC's and I took it. They were in the relegation zone.

Table29-11-2016.jpg

Here's the initial squad:

Squad28-11-2016.jpg

Squadstats28-11-2016.jpg

The issue I found with the squad was it went over the budgets with the team already in debt, which means I wanted to clear some wages and bring some money to try build a decent economical base.

Finances1-12-2016.jpg

So some players were sold out mainly because they were in too high wages or in a too important squad role: Salomon Kalou and Birama Touré found teams willing to pay. Some others, like Marvin Martin, de Jong, Sagna, Meité, L'Hostis and Philippon didn't attract any interest. Only de Jong for a free when the winter transfer had passed and then wanted half his wages still being paid so I said no.

I brought three players into the squad: Elkesson, who I had intented to buy for Palermo, Novaretti to have a third good centerback and the initially unplanned buy of Bogdán because Enyeama was going to be away with the African Cup of Nations at the end of January and didn't trust L'Hostis much.

Transfers1-02-2017.jpg

Recordtransferin2-01-2017.jpg

SalomonKalou1-02-2017.jpg

BiramaToure1-02-2017.jpg

Elkessson1-02-2017.jpg

Novaretti1-02-2017.jpg

Bogdan1-02-2017.jpg

And things have gone well, getting a string of undefeated matches to get up to tenth place. Stade Rennais was the first match I played with LOSC.

Fixtures1-02-2017.jpg

Table1-02-2017.jpg

Graph1-02-2017.jpg

As a note, since I left Palermo they've got no wins in Serie A and are sitting eighteenth. Serves them for sacking me.

P.S. - Well, as feared, I'm not too immersed with LOSC and the fact I started as a club career rather than journeyman then changed club. I'm not too keen on playing LOSC, but then I don't have much idea of a news save. Recently felt a pull to get some LLM save, but I'm not sure what to pick. I think I'll keep with this (there are some things bothering and taking time away from FM which also helps with not feeling motivated to play LOSC, so it may be that when they pass I'll be as wishing to play LOSC as I was Palermo).

16-17 season ends

- Season performance

With the 4-4-2 (DMs) the statistics show the type of defensive behavior I wish, with the midfielders and fullbacks making the tackles and the centerbacks the interceptions, though the midfielders did a fair number of them themselves.

squadstats18-05-2017.jpg

There was a drop of form in the second half of the season, but we recovered from it. A little too late to get a quite higher position, but the final result was decent considering where LOSC was when I took charge.

Table18-05-2017.jpg

Forgot the fixtures screenshot
Graph18-05-2017.jpg

Prizeligue18-05-2017.jpg

bonusligue17-05-2017.jpg

- Transfer news

With several players leaving the team at the end of the season (Enyeama, Sagna, Stambouli, Melté, Martin) and de Jong finally leaving the team, next summer will be a big overhaul for LOSC. Something problematic with a bank balance of ten million debt.

DeJongout.jpg

- Others

Mounier broke the team's record assist when he reached nine, finished with eleven.

Mounierrecord19-03-2017.jpg

Palermo didn't win any more Serie A matches after I left, until two near the end, when they were already doomed to go down to Serie B, finishing last. The drew a lot.

SerieAPalout.jpg

Palermoend.jpg

And finally, because it's unlikely that I will be able to replace the people leaving the club with the low money I surely will have available, the most likely scenario for next season at LOSC will be a relegation scrap. Therefore I've decided to resign from LOSC and look for a team. I'm willing to go to a strong second tier team, as that's something with better future than LOSC's.

17-18 preseason. New team

- The choice

Initially, I left LOSC on account of the bleak future awaiting it, with more than six million debt and more than a quarter of the squad finishing contract, including Enyeama and because there was an available job at a top level side: Atlético Osasuna. However, it would not come to be and the two choices I ended up with were:

- Sporting de Gijón: just relegated from Primera. Low budgets (half a million for the transfer one). It didn't have a squad to be sure of bounce back immediately.

- Hellas Verona: lost promotion playoffs from Serie B to Serie A. High transfer budget (nine and half million). Squad looked good save for defence at first glance.

The choice was clear as I look back, though not so much at the time, as Verona's defence seemed rather frail. But this was the choice made.

Veronaoffer9-06-2017.jpg

BudgetExp30-06-2017.jpg

Vídeo

Sigismondiprosp10-07-2017.jpg

Hottest prospect

- Finances

With the high budgets at my disposal, it is obvious the team has a few millions in the bank at the very least, however the prediction when I arrived was to lose half of them. Therefore, when dealing in the transfer, I tried to get more money in than out.

Finances19-06-2017.jpg

With odds that place us among the favourites to reach an hypothetical play off, there's not much fear for the finances if we achieve promotion this season, which is my intention, otherwise I wouldn't have taken this job.

Odds10-08-2017.jpg

- Transfers

The secondary main intention of the transfer was the mentioned of bringing more money than spent. The primary was to keep as much of the budget as possible for the end of the season to reinforce the team for the Serie A, in a new model of transfers I want to implement in which we move fast at the end of the season rather than wait to the start. The problem with that is FM waits to the start of the next to update reputation, it seems, and completely sure it also waits to lift the wage limits, so it's going to be hard to actually reinforce the team at the end of this season. At the very least it will be a help for the finances.

The team needs were clearly a second choice centerback to go with Carini and one or two rotation options. A sub goalkeeper to back up Lamanna. A couple midfielders for the 4-5-1 system I intend to implement (my usual) and one or two wingers.

With the results we complied with my goals, with only one player in being paid transfer, the others being free transfers and the two rotation centerbacks being in on loan. Sadly, 350K from Mondonico's sale went away to A.C. Milan. At least it's not as bad as Sosa.

Transfers21-08-2017.jpg

Mondonicoprofitaway1-08-2017.jpg

Schlager22-07-2017.jpg

Dyakov22-07-2017.jpg

Pasa29-07-2017.jpg

deSantis5-08-2017.jpg

Addamo1-07-2017.jpg

Maltese2-07-2017.jpg

Filippi2-07-2017.jpg

- Preseason

Preseason was used to make the players acquainted with the main 4-5-1 and the secondary 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-2-1-2 tactics. It went well, with star result in the form of a 1-1 draw against AC Milan in a match we were a match for them. Only negative was losing in the Cup third qualifying round against Serie B side Sassuolo.

Fixtures21-08-2017.jpg

As you see, Palermo's there as our first Serie B match. A game I relish to beat them well for sacking me.

17-18 half season.

- Performances

The first half of season has not been bad, though it could have been better. We have gone above media expectations (6th) onto third place, but with a big gap from the top two after a few poor results that made us drop from being on their tail.

Regarding individual performances, we finally have a goalscorer in Jonathas, with Ciano leading the assist charts from the left wing. We also have a clear starting XI. Despite the use of defensive midfielder, only he seems to be ahead of centrebacks in tackles done.

Fixtures1-02-2018.jpg

Table1-02-2018.jpg

Graph1-02-2018.jpg

Squad1-02-2018.jpg

- Transfers and finances

I had been thinking during the season we had a weakness in the right wing, so I've worked to reinforce the position. I brought Jean-Christophe Bahebeck in a free transfer to be the new first choice right winger and paid E175K to Juventus for Tasos Donis as his back up, Vorobjovs being rotation for the left wing.

Then in the last week of the window, tragedy struck: I forgot Marcel Büchel was finishing his contract at the end of the season and Palermo offered him one. I did as well, but he chose the team that's not going to play Serie A next season. So because of that and I realized after the injury to Sem Addamo I was a bit short in midfield, I brought Thibault Moulin in a free transfer with sight on next season already.

Transfers1-02-2018.jpg

Bahebeck2-01-2018.jpg

Donis13-01-2018.jpg

BucheltoPalermo31-01-2018.jpg

Moulin31-01-2018.jpg

Moulin

Financially, the situation has improved from the start of the season. Now we're expected to have more than eight million euros at the end of the season. It should be enough to have a good budget to reinforce the team next season.

Finances1-02-2018.jpg

- Other

As you could see in the league table, Palermo has had a poor season and is thirteenth. They took around ten matches to get out of relegation places, with a very poor start where they had only won three of their first twelve games or so.

Last edited:
I'm an idiot

I had played till end of March, nine more matches. I got curious as to whether a top league club would sign me, so I saved, resigned and went on to vacation with instructions to apply to top level team jobs and went on to other things in the meantime. Then it struck me: I had autosave on!!. Went back to return the **** NOW from holiday. Too late, the game had already saved over the original. The previous save is just at the point of the update above, having to play over nine matches again.

The problem with that is: I had a poor run of form in those nine matches and, seeing the teams and how it went, I think is very likely to improve the results playing those matches again, which is something that for sure will take away a lot of fun, with the nagging "because I replayed those matches I've got there (if I get to be promoted, at least); but what if I had not blundered so?" and cheating feeling. Also was not getting too interested in the save, with the co-ownership and most of the season I played with less than approppriate attention to the tactics and had thought on abandoning this save anyway. So I think, unless I get the mood and you ask otherwise, I will be putting the end to this story and starting a new main save.

Now, what could I do for the new save?. I have a secondary with Werder Bremen, so Germany is out of the question. I have been tempted somewhat lately with a third or lower level team. Choices open to me: try again a Championship side, try again with Crewe or with Burgos (2ªB), Portsmouth, something different. Thing is, with the lower leagues, at my pace probably won't get to top level before FM15. Maybe some Premier side with some renown to A) taste managing a big club and B) experimenting with tactics and improving my adaptation to the new GUI.