mkidd90

Reaction score
For years on the FM series you've been able to just whack the same 11 out in the same formation week in week out, and tweak until you beat everyone. And im as guilty as the rest of them. Until now.

It was last week, i was bored, in a rough patch with Hertha in the Bundesliga, and my missus asked how i could stare at a few dots on the screen without actually doing anything. Well, i replied, preparing my in depth speech on the possibilities of the game, i took her through the transfer options, briefed her on press conferences and how it affected player morale, and showed her the pre/post match tactical reports on teams, only to realise i hadnt actually looked at them myself before. It always just used to be one of those items i always pressed space and skipped over, thinking it was only telling me that the opposition were 1kg heavier on average and 1cm shorter. Pointless, i thought. Until i read it in full. My next game was against Leverkusen away. My assistant had told me they tended to concede the most chances against a 4 2 3 1, and three quarters of the goals they've shipped came from a header in the first 15 minutes. I chuckled at first, thinking i wouldnt dare play such an attacking formation against a team i was expected to get a hiding from. But as i was in a rut i thought id give it a go. Low and behold, i was 1 up inside 10 minutes, a header from Ibesivic. And against all the odds at half time i was deservedly in front.
The match finished 1-1, sending the media and my fans into hysterics, i haven't looked back since and currently lie in 3rd on a 9 match unbeaten run. Every team report is scrutinised to find a weakness.
A team isn't aggressive? Get stuck in.
They don't have decision makers? Close them down and let them give possession up all by themselves.

It's magic. I only wish I'd have done it sooner

fluidity?

but this is thething i never get , if i listen to the report or assistant during game he tells me to do things were not fluid in..if i have trained all year to play long balls then why would he tell me to retain possession? surely we would lose heavy as we are not use to it...

but this is thething i never get , if i listen to the report or assistant during game he tells me to do things were not fluid in..if i have trained all year to play long balls then why would he tell me to retain possession? surely we would lose heavy as we are not use to it...
That's why you're the manager. It's up to you to decide if the risk of changing your tactical setup will reap the rewards or not.

I still don't get wether to play one tactic or not I had 2 title winnin seasons but since then I moved to a different team and nothing seems to work. I change things and have 3 tactics set up for different types of games but I've just resigned after a 5-0 loss to a team who are my equal ...

The number of tactics means little. You can play with 1. You can play with 9. I just came 2nd in a league where I was predicted 11th out of 14, using only 1 tactic. Then again, with the tactical variety (and player quality) in the league above, I now have a 2nd tactic to try and cover weak points in the first.

Regardless of the number of tactics, I watch matches and make changes if they're needed.

Right ok I try not to change during matches because like I said I always thought we would lose our understanding. But I'll give it a try. I'm not in unemployment wilderness so probably end up lower leagues
I also see people have loads of success even with just 1 Team instruction which seems crazy. I have no idea how they just test from a base then make tweaks I can never tell from highlights which tweaks to make

Why is it crazy to have 1 TI?

So say u only choose shorter passing the rest of the play they just make up as they go along ?

So say u only choose shorter passing the rest of the play they just make up as they go along ?
There's no making up anything.

- You set a Mentality - That has its own level of risk, passing structure, closing down, tempo, width and d-line depth.

- You set a Team Shape - That influences their overall creative freedom and the spacing between stratas (and so also transitions/timing) when you have the ball.

- You set player roles, each with its own set of instructions/PIs.

- You set duties.

- Players have PPMs.

It's not like nothing will happen if you don't select TIs. TIs TWEAK what is already there.

Right that makes a lot of sense now. I've actually done ok on certain saves but I find if you get to the prem and your obviously tipped for relegation it's almost impossible to still play attacking isn't it ? As u get picked off so it seems u have to change your whole approach to a more defensive mentality

Yes, but that's also obvious, isn't it? Everyone in the league is better than you are. You'll need to be a bit more defensive.

Well yeah that's what I do but u hear about these people who storm theough the leagues using just one tactic which is the point I'm getting at

Well ... there are 17.418.240.000 possible combinations of TI's. If a team is playing 4-4-2 then there are 45.727.545.600 possible combinations of positions, roles and duties. I think it should be easy for a good gamer to find the best possible combination from these 795 billions of possible combinations.

So if I create a counter tactic for example then in a cup game I should win easily can I just change to attacking even though my team aren't useto that style ?

So if I create a counter tactic for example then in a cup game I should win easily can I just change to attacking even though my team aren't useto that style ?
Obviously. But by "change to attacking" I hope you mean switch to an attacking tactic, not just changing mentality. That almost certainly isn't going to work all that well, but it won't be because of familiarity issues.

Having a good setup for the situation is always better.

Yer I do mean just the mentality ..?
So would u just create 3 separate tactics for certain scenarios ?

Or maybe just tweak a base tactic each game for the opposition

Either. Depends on what my tactic is, whether it has weaknesses against certain formations/setups that I'd want to cover and also if my squad is really capable of being used in another fashion.

I just can't better my head around how people can adjust a base tactic if your team is not fluid in it ..
like the the amount of times my assistant will say we need to go long but I've never trained direct passing style

I just can't better my head around how people can adjust a base tactic if your team is not fluid in it ..
like the the amount of times my assistant will say we need to go long but I've never trained direct passing style
You don't have to rip the entire tactic apart every game?

And so what if you make a needed change and the familiarity drops a little?