The Premier League Thread

Ok. With the curtain-raiser to the new season a week on Sat'day, I'm sound to throw up this years PL predictions. Can't see this COVID market-changing my views as of now to any significant degree-

So, with the caveat that this is the first set subject to any slight change, my 2020-21 entry into out little prediction game-

1. Liverpool.

Outside of City, nobody's remotely getting close to the defending Champions. We're SO far ahead of everyone on most every level right now, with still levels to go as we continue to evolve, it's frightening. Thiago is just the cherry on the cake. All the squad intact and improved by quality addition. Both additions this summer and a fully healthy and raring to go Kieta, Oxo-Chambo and Brewster. Along with Minamino prepared to what to expect from this mad league and our standards.

I personally think we're set to beest the league again and come out flying. Our pre-season didn't start Saturday. It effectively started as soon as the league was officially confirmed as he used the last 7 games of last season to heavily rotate and try new things. Now with the break, they've come back fresh and raring to go again.

As the manager says, we aren't going out to defend the title. We're going out to attack the next one!

_
_
_

2. City.

Last year I had the top two in that order with the caveat that it could go either way as there was literally nottin' to split them. Honestly thought that I'd be saying the same again this summer but now the gap has grown and they're the ones scrambling to keep pace with ourselves.

You'd never fully write them out of course as they're a wonderful team still but their defensive issues alone (good luck Aké helping out to that end. And the wonderful Fernandinho naturally slowing down at this stage of a stellar career), along with Pep's steadfast refusal to even slightly alter the way they play the more teams negate it just has you thinking they'll struggle to keep pace with L'pool again.

I have them a nice gap off first, but a gigantic gap again off the rest.

_
_
_
_
_

3. Wolves.

Best set-up and squad of the rest for me and with no European football to hinder them in this upcoming mad, truncated season, I think they'll take the next step and add CL football.

And they have every chance of being there to stay for a good while's given the horrible state of everyone else. Super manager and a really well run football club from top to bottom who continue to make real astute signings.

_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_

Here's where it gets REAL tricky. The rest of the European places.

I think one thing that will really show for clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd will be the total inexperience of their managers in how to handle rotation and keep everyone in the squad up for it when they are left out and not playing. They don't need that at all in a season like next year where heavy rotation will be KEY.

I really think there's a good opening for one or two surprise clubs to break into the European slots given the state of the traditional big players that is all over the place in differing degrees. All of which is too much to mention at the respective individual clubs or we'd be here all day.

So, for the purpose of having to predict places, I'll go with-

4. Chelsea.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
5. Leicester. (SURELY they can't have a historic collapse like last years disgrace again? SURELY?!!!!!)
6. Utd.
7. Southampton.

But in truth, any one of those plus Arsenal, Tottenham, and even someone like Sheff. Utd or first-timersLeeds under Bielsa could make up or miss out on the European slots. In ANY order.

All those teams are just much of a muchness on a similar level going nowhere fast IMHO.

As for the relegation spots-

18. Palace.
19. Fulham.
20. Villa.

Though it'll probably 3 from 5/6 with the likes of West Brom, Newcastle and West Ham in the mix.

And let's not forget Everton strengthing their hold on 10/11th.

The very definition of mid-table mediocrity. NO threat to the European places. NO threat to the relegation places. Just meh.

Nobody's quite sure exactly what the purpose of the 'meh's' are in this mad football game. But congrats to them in advance regardless for the brilliant 'meh' consistency they continue to show.

Oh, I'll throw a new addition into this year's predictions-

POTY. Nabby Kieta. If he stays healthy, which he now is and has been the only issue with that one, he'll be highlight reeling your review shows most matchday's.

Naby Lad. Remember the name!

Again, I reserve the right to change some of those over the rest of the window but I honestly don't think that need will arise.

Roll on a week Sat'day tea-time and the CS curtain raiser! As mad as it already is to to have the new season back so soon.

' ..... So, with the caveat that this is the first set subject to any slight change, my 2020-21 entry into out little prediction game- .....'

For the first time we've done this I'll use that prerogative and make a few changes now the windows closed.

Top 2 remain the same. L'pool to win it with a sizeable gap to City.

I'll drop Wolves to 4th with the biggest risers off what I consider the best overall window outside of our own, Arsenal, back in the top 4. Thomas Partey is the one player they needed and gives Arteta that top drawer anchor to his base to protect the already strengthened defence and allow the attacking players the freedom to attack with the protection behind.

The other North London team comes in from the cold from me having them a question mark for a Europa spot to now pushing hard for the CL places. Great window of additions that both fit perfectly with what Mourinho does for the first time there and gives him the trump card of Bale if he can stay healthy.

Chelsea drop to 5th down to their manager being nearly as inept as Utds. I don't care how many boss attacking players they've added, he's tactically absolutely clueless and will do well to survive the season.

Utd drop to 6th. Terrible window. Terrible manager. Terribly coached squad bereft of quality in numbers for what a Utd squad should be. But they'll flat-track bully a lot of the lesser sides and should get a Europa spot.

So that leaves Leicester switching out Southampton for the last Europa spot as we now stand. Brendan is just as consistently inconsistent as ever.

Everton to remain the mid-table mediocrity monsters they are. As WC a coach as Ancelotti is, he's not sustaining this start with that P poor defence and absolute joke, league-worst calamity in nets. And I'm fully expecting James to disappear when the winter comes and the fixtures and weather turns proper brutal.

Gonna' leave the relegation spots the same save for the order could change. Fulham are just the league whipping boys. The Hodge looks as lost as ever. And Villa's start is as madly deceiving as they're walloping of the Champions Sunday Still no goalscorer for me to see them safe. Watkins will do well to get over 10 this year. And he got a 3 of them Sunday! That was a day.

I'll change my POTY to Mo too as he's come back absolutely on fire. The way he's looking, a 35/40 goal season from him is well on the cards.

' ..... So, with the caveat that this is the first set subject to any slight change, my 2020-21 entry into out little prediction game- .....'

For the first time we've done this I'll use that prerogative and make a few changes now the windows closed.

Top 2 remain the same. L'pool to win it with a sizeable gap to City.

I'll drop Wolves to 4th with the biggest risers off what I consider the best overall window outside of our own, Arsenal, back in the top 4. Thomas Partey is the one player they needed and gives Arteta that top drawer anchor to his base to protect the already strengthened defence and allow the attacking players the freedom to attack with the protection behind.

The other North London team comes in from the cold from me having them a question mark for a Europa spot to now pushing hard for the CL places. Great window of additions that both fit perfectly with what Mourinho does for the first time there and gives him the trump card of Bale if he can stay healthy.

Chelsea drop to 5th down to their manager being nearly as inept as Utds. I don't care how many boss attacking players they've added, he's tactically absolutely clueless and will do well to survive the season.

Utd drop to 6th. Terrible window. Terrible manager. Terribly coached squad bereft of quality in numbers for what a Utd squad should be. But they'll flat-track bully a lot of the lesser sides and should get a Europa spot.

So that leaves Leicester switching out Southampton for the last Europa spot as we now stand. Brendan is just as consistently inconsistent as ever.

Everton to remain the mid-table mediocrity monsters they are. As WC a coach as Ancelotti is, he's not sustaining this start with that P poor defence and absolute joke, league-worst calamity in nets. And I'm fully expecting James to disappear when the winter comes and the fixtures and weather turns proper brutal.

Gonna' leave the relegation spots the same save for the order could change. Fulham are just the league whipping boys. The Hodge looks as lost as ever. And Villa's start is as madly deceiving as they're walloping of the Champions Sunday Still no goalscorer for me to see them safe. Watkins will do well to get over 10 this year. And he got a 3 of them Sunday! That was a day.

I'll change my POTY to Mo too as he's come back absolutely on fire. The way he's looking, a 35/40 goal season from him is well on the cards.
Everton might suprise everyone but they ain't getting anywhere near top 4 with t rex in goal. Not convinced by arteta just yet even with Partey that midfield is still terrible. Spurs are my dark horse think Mourinho if they can keep their key players injury free might be able to shithouse a top 4 finish. Wolves have been weakened imo and I have them tipped for a massive drop off. Chelsea and United are just both poorly coached but the strength of Chelsea XI might carry them to top 4 but with a whimper. I'll refrain from judging who will win the title until ten games in but I'm leaning just for us.

I hadn't realised the '5-sub rule' temp remains in European games this year.

There's something inherently wrong when UEFA are putting player-welfare front and centre in this respect, at this unprecedented time. Whilst the PL clubs voted not to.

INHERENTLY WRONG!

Who'd have thought you'd ever be applauding UEFA over your own Country's league?

I hadn't realised the '5-sub rule' temp remains in European games this year.

There's something inherently wrong when UEFA are putting player-welfare front and centre in this respect, at this unprecedented time. Whilst the PL clubs voted not to.

INHERENTLY WRONG!

Who'd have thought you'd ever be applauding UEFA over your own Country's league?
Some Leagus also use the 5 sub rule still. I dont know, I am not entirely against it. Afraid it would change the game to much against lower clubs and benefits the big ones. Maybe have it like under 18 can come on as 4th and 5ths sub + have the bench longer - this I would be more up to.

Biggest gripe I have is this stupid international games where now they are trying to push MORE GAMES into, just whyyyyy???. We are already seeing covid cases spike with this international games. + just **** remove one of the cup games in England. They can make changes to have games more spreaded but still must milk all the cup games and end the season like it use to end. Make a transitsion perioud for now and end the season a month later so this could spread out the games a bit more. But then you will have the issue that EUROS are coming in the summer and no rest...
Cant win anyway so have to do like this.

Some Leagus also use the 5 sub rule still. I dont know, I am not entirely against it. Afraid it would change the game to much against lower clubs and benefits the big ones. Maybe have it like under 18 can come on as 4th and 5ths sub + have the bench longer - this I would be more up to.

*I cut off the second paragraph as I'd be here all day if you got me started on the nonsensical International game B/S at this time.

I might be wrong but I think the PL is the only major league not continue with the option of 5 subs this season? (Which isn't a surprise as one of the major problems here is every club pulling in different directions for their own self-serving interests.).

I get why those that voted against it did that as you alluded to. Survival mode and staying in the Prem is their focus. But ultimately, if they honestly believe that other clubs would gain an advantage through greater strength in depth then I believe they're completely missing the point. Whilst that may be the case statistically wise, they too are now at greater risk of burnout/ injury/ COVID et al and they'll likely need to regularly replace their first choices regardless. That's just the nature of the unprecedented situation everyone's currently in.

Having the ability to rotate a greater number per game would allow them to help mitigate these risks and therefore likely get more game time out of their better players.

It's shortsightedness at it's worse. And I'd argue somewhat negligent even when considering every players' wellbeing.

Just seen the u19s friendly between Scotland and England was abandoned just before half time as a late COVID result came back and one of the Scotland coaches restive positive. What a shambles!!