The Premier League Thread

Konate was really lucky there, could've left with no head on his shoulders.

For all the so called quality on display. That was some absolute bany average football on show. Proper mid table stuff!

Early doors but

Feels like both teams haven't overcome their problems from last season yet. Chelsea still not good at finishing chances, Liverpool still has no working midfield.

Early doors but

Feels like both teams haven't overcome their problems from last season yet. Chelsea still not good at finishing chances, Liverpool still has no working midfield.
The greatest thing pep has done is convinced people to copy his inverted fullback ***** when even he himself has dropped it and it landed them the treble. Midfield isn't just on the ball but off the ball working together and it just complicates things and results in players stuck in no man land and having to cover two players and then getting blamed because they can't cope with an overload. A DM alone wont solve this for us.

The greatest thing pep has done is convinced people to copy his inverted fullback ***** when even he himself has dropped it and it landed them the treble. Midfield isn't just on the ball but off the ball working together and it just complicates things and results in players stuck in no man land and having to cover two players and then getting blamed because they can't cope with an overload. A DM alone wont solve this for us.
Another thing that surprised me was how lethargic you guys looked after about 25 mins compared to what I have seen of you guys in pre season. And it looks like Salah don’t wanna do any of the nitty gritty anymore.

Nkunku will be a huge miss for Chelsea attack. He’s looked good at knitting it together for them in pre season. And as good as Reece James is, he’s the Martial of FBs!

Another thing that surprised me was how lethargic you guys looked after about 25 mins compared to what I have seen of you guys in pre season. And it looks like Salah don’t wanna do any of the nitty gritty anymore.
Not that concerned about the lethargic nature as fitness will inevitably get better and the counter press will improve as players gel and whatnot. Salah fell off in the 2nd half but he was the most dangerous player whenever we could somehow get the ball to him. Momentum is everything in football and if the offside goal stood it might've been a different game but once Chelsea scored they exposed our shape and they will probably be kicking themselves they didn't get a winner. Thank you, Ali.

Yeah And like Leg said if Chelsea have a Midfield of Caicedo and Enzo. And sort out the balance in attack. They could be very good. But buy the time that happens most the season will be gone

For all the so called quality on display. That was some absolute bany average football on show. Proper mid table stuff!
I disagree. I enjoyed the first half and parts of the 2nd. It did get scrappy from the 46-70 minute but enjoyable all round. With Chelsea’s impending transfers and their lack of European commitments, they could be a genuine dark horse for the title.

The greatest thing pep has done is convinced people to copy his inverted fullback ***** when even he himself has dropped it and it landed them the treble. …..

John Stones and Nathan Ake in particular would like a word. Or Rico Lewis doing bits inside As recently as Friday night.

I get you have a serious bugbear about this as its every other post now mate but you’re chatting some serious wham there to embelish a point.

Last edited:
I disagree. I enjoyed the first half and parts of the 2nd. It did get scrappy from the 46-70 minute but enjoyable all round. …..

Just wrote on this elsewhere so glad to see that reaffirmedhave been a belter opener to watch as a neutral.

The amount of top quality talent both sides who can and were breaking the lines/ progressing the thirds with sumptuous 30 yard ot so balls was ridiculous.

John Stones and Nathan Ake in particular would like a word. Or Rico Lewis doing bits inside As recently as Friday night.

I get you have a serious bugbear about this as its every other post now mate but you’re chatting some serious wham there to embelish a point.
Except it's completely tweaked away from the disaster that nearly cost City in the beginning of last season and certain personal have been sent away as they no longer suit the role i.e cancelo. They have Centre backs now who are comfortable defending as fullbacks/in that area rather than having players go from midfield into the fullback area. Completely different ways of playing. It's not me going overboard but having a non rose tinted view that the system has its clear problems when the ball is lost.

Except it's completely tweaked away from the disaster that nearly cost City in the beginning of last season and certain personal have been sent away as they no longer suit the role i.e cancelo. They have Centre backs now who are comfortable defending as fullbacks/in that area rather than having players go from midfield into the fullback area. Completely different ways of playing. It's not me going overboard but having a non rose tinted view that the system has its clear problems when the ball is lost.

I know ezactly how they set up mate. We know we could have Rodri and however many CH’s you want we’d be fartake far more attacking in this system and take far more riaka than City or Arsenal. That’s just Jurgen.

But you said Pep doesn’t invert the FB’s and everyone has been duped by it. He does. He just does it a different way. Like Arsenal with White.

And our version is different again.

I know ezactly how they set up mate. We know we could have Rodri and however many CH’s you want we’d be fartake far more attacking in this system and take far more riaka than City or Arsenal. That’s just Jurgen.

But you said Pep doesn’t invert the FB’s and everyone has been duped by it. He does. He just does it a different way. Like Arsenal with White.

And our version is different again.
Agree to disagree then because to me City have moved away from it and it plays completely different. Then again listening to Trent last night confirmed what I said as you have him running back from midfield and covering positions you dont want him to be. If that's our version then it's a ***** system then. We'll see how it develops over the season but I personally think any half decent side will run riot in the gaps left behind.

We'll see how it develops over the season but I personally think any half decent side will run riot in the gaps left behind.

As opposed to the gaps left behind both FB’s when they bomb on and are naturally caught out of position in transition? Those type of gaps?

Which weee mitigated by the high risk/ high reward high defensive line squeezing the play in the oppo’s final third and relentless pressing. Along with others dropping in. Which is pretty much the development now. But with Trent having two options that allows him to be even more devastating on the ball inside playing through the lines.

All a process as they get it down and we workout the right balance and shape. I aren’t arsed personally what system we play mate. We’ll outscore 99% of teams 9 tinea out of 20 regardless. Although I do like Trent inverting as he showed the end of last season nobody can get near him in midfield.

I just think its mad to think those flaws wouldn’t be there before the tweaks.

Relentless pressing? Maybe for first 25 minutes of the game, then Lpool completely ran out of gas and Chelsea took over.
Liverpool needs to click now, or better team will feast on their (dis)organization.