Vandit

Reaction score
Hi,This is my first post on FM Base.My Friend and I are both keen FM players and have been playing for many years. But we both play the same game in completely different ways.My friend likes to start of an ex international footballer as manager of Man City, he enjoys having lots of money to spend and over however many seasons it takes helikes to turn them into the best team in the world up until the point he he the best manager in english history, then he will move to spain and do the same thing.On the other hand, I like to start off with Sunday League experience and unemployed. Then over the space of 10/15/20 season I will work my way up to being aPremiership Manager. I will move clubs if its beneficial for me as a manger and winning the Premiership is the main goal of mine.We often debate about who is the best at FM and the honest answer is we don't knowWhat I can say with certainty is the way I play the game is the most realistic way to play the game with using add-ons. The purists way of playing.Something I would consider using for FM 2014 providing it was available, would be to use an add-on which would allow me to start off in a lower league.People who have used these lower league add-ons in the past, i have a couple of questions.-Do you have players generated for these teams or do you start off with no players and just a club?-Are the wage budgets reduced as you go down for realism?

I do not use the lower, lower league databases so I cannot assist you with that!

I can say that I respect you more as an FM player than your mate, I am not sure what your results are like but I have a feeling that they are pretty good!

I'm certainly not one of the people who get back to back promotions from BSS to the Premiership and then go onto win the Champions league 7 limes running.However I do like the challenge of managing lower league teams and then when I do finally reach the Premiership I feel like I have achieved something huge and I am worthy of my new 15M transfer budget.My results are OK, my win rate over 600 games is about 46% bearing in mind most of the time I'm managing teams who are expected to finish in the bottom half of the table. Each year I try and explore another part of the game so I feel I am becoming better each year. To start off with on CM my tactic was pick 11 players click next. Now I tend to be involved with a lot more aspects of management such as training,youth development, contract negotiations among others. Eventually When i am better I would relish the challenge of taking a team all the way from the lowest to the higheest tier and then making them the best in the world. I am simply not good enough to do this at the moment.I havent played online either this is something I may explore more in future version on FM.

that is not a bad % mate :) well done!

I have tried online and to be honest, its pretty crappy and takes forever! it teaches you nothing more at all!

I would stick to what you are doing now and learn as much as you can, you are definitely in the correct place as we have dozens of really helpful members who know a thing or two :)

welcome

Hi,This is my first post on FM Base.My Friend and I are both keen FM players and have been playing for many years. But we both play the same game in completely different ways.My friend likes to start of an ex international footballer as manager of Man City, he enjoys having lots of money to spend and over however many seasons it takes helikes to turn them into the best team in the world up until the point he he the best manager in english history, then he will move to spain and do the same thing.On the other hand, I like to start off with Sunday League experience and unemployed. Then over the space of 10/15/20 season I will work my way up to being aPremiership Manager. I will move clubs if its beneficial for me as a manger and winning the Premiership is the main goal of mine.We often debate about who is the best at FM and the honest answer is we don't knowWhat I can say with certainty is the way I play the game is the most realistic way to play the game with using add-ons. The purists way of playing.Something I would consider using for FM 2014 providing it was available, would be to use an add-on which would allow me to start off in a lower league.People who have used these lower league add-ons in the past, i have a couple of questions.-Do you have players generated for these teams or do you start off with no players and just a club?-Are the wage budgets reduced as you go down for realism?

Yes in the lower league add ons you start with a generated team and i cant speak for every team but in my retford united save i had no transfer or wage budget. And was in 500k debt for some reason lol

I'm using the Level 9 English database pyramid at the moment. If you start at Level 9 which I usually do, your team will have no wage budget or transfer budget. As soon as I promoted to Level 8, we become a semi pro team. Building a team as an amateur club I find is pretty easy. Semi pro, it just depends how much money you get given. My team going from Level 9 to Level 8 became very different. Most of my best players were poached by higher level clubs, and in the beginning I couldn't keep any of them. Not long into the season though, the owners gave me a huge wage budget for the level I was in, and I was then able to build my team back up with even better players. Building up money as an Amateur club is very easy.

The beauty of FM is that it is open to all types of "managers" and not only that but the same person can be different types of manager in different saves.

I second RAIKAN in saying I respect you more than your mate but if thats what makes him happy then why not.

I play to win stuff and to do it as quickly as possible (say max 2/3 seasons unless I start from lower leagues) and then I start a different save (partly also because I like "real" players and hate regens).

I started my career as a virtual manager with LMA Manager on PS and I will never forget the advise of a very wise Australian LMA player who was my main adversary for world domination on the LMA tables called heffa: whichever level you start in, you should strive to asap have a squad (or at least a XI) which is the equal of the lower half of exactly the league above you. All games including FM have the players for that to happen but the rest is up to you and its not easy.

The answer to your question is given by TRINITY4EVA

We often debate about who is the best at FM and the honest answer is we don't know.

Who's better at Doom, the one who plays at the "I'm too young to die" difficulty level or the one who plays at "Nightmare!"? The one who plays at Nightmare. Easy.

Personally I love the transfer side of the game, learning the ins and outs... Should i sell and bring him in? Can i bring in this one in exchange for that one... I thinnl that's why i have a.fair bit of success

If theres a 20 mil player in this spot yet a 4mil player has exactly the same attributes for the positikn i want i buy the cheaper option... He does the exact same job.

This FM I've been starting with lower top order team and playing them to safety before going for the CL

In the past i used to buy, quit, holiday to January put in a new manager and buy again

This year though I'm actually playing in the seasons and taking control of teams, tinkering tactics etc;

In my 2 main saves my win ratio was 67% in the Gary speed challene with Swansea

And I'm hovering aroubd 56% with nottingham forest in the CL challenge, and with my transfer skills I brougjt in some beasts... (Mino, Nem, Adryan)

So i play until i know the window inside out aNd then I start actual saves with my knowledge... Not exactly purist but i find it fun

I think the main point is that if you enjoy the way you do it then that is the main thing. It seems like everybody has a slightly different preference to others.When people play different teams in different leagues its impossible to quantify who is better out of numbers of people. It's also good not knowing really because its lots of Banter between me and my friend and we have a laugh about it. The only way it could be quantified would be a game mode where everyone started with the same team with all the same settings, i'd play that more than classic mode!

Im with you,I always start as celtic or United and get used to the game untill the lower league database is released then i pick a team i like the look of and thats me untill ive won the premiership with them,

Nothing more rewarding than seeing a team you have spent hours and hours with building them up from nothing to champions of england and europe.

I played fm12 for near 900 hours (and thats with a job and a gf lol) and 99% of that was taking Radcliffe Borough to the heights of the English game! And it still is the best save i have ever had and most likely ever will have.

Lower league management for the win :)

Yes in the lower league add ons you start with a generated team and i cant speak for every team but in my retford united save i had no transfer or wage budget. And was in 500k debt for some reason lol
Yes brother.....the mighty badgers of retford. Im guessing your from near retford ur self as ur names trinity for ever and lets be fair, why else wud anyone pick retford!!

lol yes im from gainsborough beaten by wrexham in the fa trophy semis yesterday gutted!!!!

As has been said, although you still can't tell who is better, you are playing the game the harder way, and the more realistic way.

Personally I do both. I always start with an Arsenal save, then I will usually do a relegation cadidate prem team before going into the longer-term non-league saves :)