The Question: Will Sunderland be better off without Darren Bent? | Jonathan Wilson

Jonathan Wilson

Jonathan Wilson's Articles (Bot)
Reaction score

Darren Bent was a reliable scorer for Sunderland but his departure may not necessarily weaken his former team

Darren Bent, as pretty much every article about him over the past couple of days has mentioned, scored 32 goals in 58 Premier League games for Sunderland. That is a lot, and especially at a club without a great recent history of scoring goals in bulk.

He was the first Sunderland player to score for England since Len Shackleton. Last season, it was his upsurge in form with a hat-trick against Bolton Wanderers, combined with Craig Gordon's return from a broken arm and a rare window in John Mensah's injury nightmare, that ensured Sunderland stayed up. Only the most blinkered of revisionists would suggest he was anything other than a very useful player for Sunderland.

Even this season, when his form has been less certain, he has managed eight goals in 20 league games, but what is intriguing is what has happened in the three games he has missed (his durability, incidentally, starting 58 of 61 possible league games in his time at Sunderland, is another asset). In those games, Sunderland beat Stoke City 2-0 at home in a game they controlled and would have won more comfortably but for a penalty miss from Steed Malbranque; they scrapped their way to a slightly fortunate 1-1 draw at Tottenham Hotspur; and they produced the best Sunderland performance in a decade to win 3-0 at Chelsea.

It is those latter two games that are most telling. Sunderland this season have taken 11 points from 11 away games. Last season they took 10 from 19. Repeatedly, they have found themselves overrun through the centre of midfield. It also happened this season in the home game against Everton when Sunderland got away with a 2-2 draw. It happened to an extent against Newcastle United on Sunday. Most crushingly, it happened in the away game at Newcastle that directly preceded that run of three matches Bent missed; then, Sunderland coped with Newcastle for 15 minutes or so, but when Kevin Nolan was withdrawn into a deeper position and, outnumbered, they surrendered the centre, then surrendered everything else and lost 5-1. It would be absurd to say that is Bent's fault, but his style of play has knock-on effects.

Over the past two seasons, in 61 league games, Sunderland varied from 4-4-2 on only 10 occasions. Bent is a willing runner and led the line better than many who would dismiss him as purely a finisher might expect. Away against Tottenham last season, when Sunderland were excellent in losing 2-0 and most of the attention on Bent focused on his penalty miss rather than his all-round display, he looked as though he may be developing an aptitude for the position.

It did not, though, come naturally to him, and he looked far better in partnership with either Kenywne Jones or Fraizer Campbell. He never struck up a similar understanding with Asamoah Gyan. Perhaps that was because creator-finisher or senior-junior roles were never as clearly defined, but it should be borne in mind that there were very few games when both were fully fit and able to play together.

But with a regular goalscorer (bought for £10m) and a £13m striker who had been one of the stars of the World Cup, it was very hard for Steve Bruce to leave either out, something that became very apparent after the Chelsea match. Bent returned from injury and Danny Welbeck, who had probably been Sunderland's best player at Stamford Bridge, linking centrally between Gyan and the midfield, was shoved out to the wing for the 2-2 draw with Everton. Sunderland have never regained the same fluency since.

The options now seem simpler for Bruce. He can play Gyan as a lone striker with Welbeck to one side and another wide player (Steed Malbranque? Jordan Henderson? Ahmed Elmohamady? Kieran Richardson? Campbell, as and when he returns from his knee injury? A new signing bought with some of the £24m raised for Bent?) to the other, which would allow a central midfield three and so provide greater resilience than Sunderland have often shown in those areas over the past two seasons. Or he can play 4-4-2 with Welbeck just off Gyan, as he was at Chelsea.

Given Campbell's injury, Bruce's first priority is a forward to offer cover for Gyan and Welbeck, particularly given it could be six weeks until the latter is back after exploratory surgery on a troublesome knee. Longer term, he needs either to buy or replace Welbeck when his loan spell expires at the end of the season. Attacking width, particularly on the right, is another area Sunderland are short, something Bruce has acknowledged by admitting his interest in PSG's Stéphane Sessègnon.

And if the thinking is of a move to a system with three central midfielders (although Bruce has played 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 in 85.1% of his 314 league games as a manager), another central midfielder is probably necessary to fill the role of deep-lying distributor (ideally with bite) vacated by Lorik Cana in the summer. The Paraguay international Cristian Riveros was presumably supposed to be that replacement, but he has started only four league games since his summer move from Cruz Azul. Lee Cattermole, a far better passer than he is often given credit for, fulfils the Cana role to an extent, but his regular suspensions mean there must be back-up – and a ball-winning partner at the back of the midfield might cut down on the number of lunging challenges he feels compelled to make.

Losing Bent, of course, is a wrench, and Sunderland fans who have invested emotional energy in him understandably feel aggrieved. But at least the break was swift, and if the £24m is properly invested, it can only be to the long-term benefit of the club. Some prices are simply too good to turn down, particularly if the player is disaffected, as Bent's recent form suggested he was. There are, after all, few things that smack of a small-club mentality more than desperately clinging to stars who have no desire to be there any more, as though there is no possibility any better player could be daft enough to make the same mistake as they did and sign up to replace them.

There are those who worry about how Sunderland will replace Bent's goals, but goals are a strange thing. Towards the end of Michael Owen's time at Liverpool, his apologists regularly pointed to his goals tally – 70 league goals in his last four seasons. But the question is the cost of those goals. In Liverpool's case, playing to Owen made them predictable; in Sunderland's case it was an open midfield. Having one primary goalscorer tends to mean a side is one-dimensional. Now for a team that had spent most of the last decade with no effective dimensions, that was a huge step in the right direction for Sunderland. One functioning dimension will probably save you from relegation – although while Gérard Houllier clearly thinks Bent will save Aston Villa, he couldn't save Charlton Athletic in 2006-07 – but a side that sees itself as a regular challenger for European football needs more than that.

This feels like a critical point for Sunderland. It might be the moment at which the slowly mounting optimism of the past few months is popped, but it might just be the moment at which they emerge as a modern, two-dimensional team.

Jonathan Wilson

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

More...

I don't think they'll be better off. But i'm staggered by how many Sunderland fans have said they would be better off without him. When he's on form, he's very reliable in front of goal. Yeah, he'***** a blip, but who doesn't. This will come back to haunt Sunderland I think

Bent should fit in at Villa well I think. Sunderland have lost a good player, but at a very decent price

Unless they bring in another goal scorer with the Bent money, Sunderland could really struggle now, as Gyan is not a natural goal scorer, well, he doesn't look like one. Danny Welbeck is only on loan, so I suppose they could just use him till the summer then bring someone in then. They have Campbell coming back from injury as well who is a good striker.

Although I hope they fail badly and finish below us this season.

I think its a good deal for both clubs, Villa needed a goal scorer and they got one and Sunderland have re-couperated the money plus more what they spent on Gyan.

Thing is, could Bent suffer a bit here? Yeah he's gettin more money, and he'll be well looked after. But surely the transfer, would put pressure on him to live up to the value of the fee?

Thing is, could Bent suffer a bit here? Yeah he's gettin more money, and he'll be well looked after. But surely the transfer, would put pressure on him to live up to the value of the fee?

Hes had high fees over a few of his transfers really.

And Sunderland need a scorer.....Does Andy Cole still play...? :$

Unless they bring in another goal scorer with the Bent money, Sunderland could really struggle now, as Gyan is not a natural goal scorer, well, he doesn't look like one. Danny Welbeck is only on loan, so I suppose they could just use him till the summer then bring someone in then. They have Campbell coming back from injury as well who is a good striker.

Although I hope they fail badly and finish below us this season.

I disagree, Dunc. I doubt they will struggle, Bent isn't really that influential this season. he isn't as heavily relied on as he was last year.

This is a great deal for both sides – Villa is in desperate need of a goal scorer and a physiological boost. Bent can provide both.

The fact that the chairman has backed the manager by splashing out up to 24m for bent will provide a boost for the players and his goals will help push them up the league.

Sunderland because they have just made a 10m+ profit on the guy, who was clearly unhappy. Perhaps it had to do with the arrival of Gyan? Why cling onto an unhappy player after all.

They are not exactly lacking goals without him and I’m sure a replacement could be found.

Top Scorers (League only)

Bent 8
Gyan 7
Welbeck 6
Bardsley 1
Henderson 1
Onuoha 1

Perhaps Robbie Keane on loan? a nice short term deal while longer term targets can be found.

Perhaps Campbell or Welbeck will flourish more?

Kris, Sunderland are hardly prolific in front of and the only way I can see it being any benefit to them is if they bring in another goal scorer with the money the received from Bent. Considering he has scored nearly a third of their league goals this season, that's a lot of goals they are going to have to make back up somewhere else, and considering their 4th top scorer has only one goal... it doesn't look like they have the quality in the other areas of the pitch to make up for the short comings up front, now that they have sold Bent.

Every time I have seen Gyan play he has looked aab. He has the touch of a pretty poor rapist, and is the kind of player who does one good bit of skill in a game, and that's about it, I haven't even mentioned on how random his finishing is, I think he's a bit of a hit and hoper.

Without reinvesting the money they have got from the Bent deal, I just can't see them staying anywhere close to the position they currently hold in the league.

Sunderland have done brilliantly to get so much for him, they'll certainly find a better player than him for 18 million.

Last edited:
i think Sunderland well be alright without Bent tbh. I think that for the rest of this season, Welbeck and Gyan can inspire them, and next season look to buy better players to improve the whole squad with this money.

"He has the touch of a pretty poor rapist"

Haha! As opposed to the good ones eh Dunc, the ones that know how to treat a lady!

It could be like the Beckford probelm at leeds. the players may work harder as unit and become better