The Rangers Story - An All Scottish Affair

joma1108

Reaction score

I have read many of the challenges on here and find them very interesting and entertaining, I have thought about a challenge and the one that springs to mind is as follows

As you are aware Rangers were liquidated and a new company formed that was granted a place in the 4th tier of Scottish football (Scottish third division)

Over the years rangers have had fewer and fewer Scottish players in their team despite having arguably the best training facility in Scotland and possibly the best scouting network also and took young players from all over scotland to Murray park, but always chose to buy success rather than nurture.

Over the years players who have come through Rangers youth set up and been let go are Charlie Adam, Allan Hutton, Ross McCormack, Danny Wilson, Barrie McKay, Andrew Shinnie to name but a few.

My challenge is to begin with Rangers in the Scottish third division and have a transfer policy of only signing Scottish players or those with scottish nationality, and to win through the lower leagues win the Scottish premier league and then eventually the champion’s league.

Now on the face of it that doesn’t sound like a challenge, but remember that Rangers are under a transfer embargo so I need to sign all my players by the end of the transfer window (sept 1st​)and then I cannot sign any player unless they are under 21 for two transfer windows.

Again to put into perspective
Danny Wilson (LOAN) - Liverpool would not come as Liverpool wanted him toplay at a higher level so he pitched up at Celtic
James McFadden (FREE) - was not interested in even talking
Craig Gordon (FREE) - spoke to me but wanted far too much
And several of the 1/4 decent scottish players their parent clubs wanted more than i could afford.

So not quite as easy to get a squad together

Coupled with the fact that Rangers if they dont win practically every gsame i run the risk of the sack.

Also only one scottish team has ever won the european cup (celtic - 1967)

I have a budget of around 450k transfers and around 30k of wages p/w to play with.

There are a lot of non Scottish players playing for Rangers that I need to offload or to free as they cannot play in my team, period.

My policy will be to get the best youth system I can and then promote from within, buy the best young Scottish players I can and grow them into superstars.

Let me know if you think this is a challenge that is worth writing up and if there is interest I will get it kicked off....see what I did there:D

Don't mean this in a bad way, just a few things you've not quite got right... Best get a story started on the right track.

We have had many, many Scottish players in our squad recently. Since Walter Smith came back particularly. On the way to the UEFA cup final in '08 most of our squad was Scottish. When George Burley took over as Scotland boss he ommited allot of our players and it has been that way ever since really.

Also, as a quintessentially British club, we have signed many English and Northern Irish players... we do not consider them as foreigners as we respect the union and recognise our roots. On this, you could extend it to only signing British players too.

Charlie Adam was let go due to being so inconsistent and generally just poor other than for taking free kicks and long shots... to be fair he was used out of position as a left winger.

Alan Hutton was forced out by our ******* chairman, as was Danny Wilson. Between them that was £11m in transfer fees, though..

Barrie McKay had never played for Rangers prior to now, and is still at the club.

Andrew Shinnie was a bad call, it happens.

Also, we never tried to 'buy success' within Scotland, not in that manner... Celtic did the same really. In the past Celtic have more often than not had a larger wage and transfer expenditure. We had to invest to compete in Europe. This inevitably caused us our financial difficulties as our owner threw money at managers without considering any consequence.

Anyway, sorry for the rant... just thought I'd help you start your story on the right track!

To your challenge - As i said, you could extend it to British only as traditionally our fans prefer an all round orientated British team. You could, however, only use whatever players you get from your youth intake, no signings at all! It would provide more of a challenge i guess. You will have difficulty offloading the foreign players in your first season though, as allot of them are new to the club.

I'l keep an eye on this one mate, good luck!

Last edited:
DJ, thanks for the reply and setting the record straight, and i dont think its a rant, just pretend im a reporter for the redtops in scotland with my facts ;)

Just for info i have no axe to grind with either half of the old firm and support a provincial scottish club (last team before Gretna to go bust)

To respond to some of your points barrie mckay you are spot on, i was thinking of Billy mckay at ICT and he's not even scottish....got my mcKays mixed up.

On the British V Scottish argument, i was trying to narrow it a little more in order that it became a tougher challenge as you rightly point out there are a few good northern irish players at Rangers now Dene Shiels being a case in point, in terms of only signing youth prospects i think i would struggle as the board would not give me the time i need to get a winning team on the park and sack me when results were poor (that may be a challenge for a different day)

In terms of 'buying success' that isnt a veiled dig at the previous owners but more of an old firm issue where one or the other in the past didnt give youth much of a chance (or at least that is my perception) due to the pressures

Ragarding players let go, that was merely that if Rangers could hold onto the good young scottish talent (for whatever reason) then they potentially would be in a much better position now

I know this will upset the other side of the fence but i dont recall many good young scottish players being produced at celtic and leaving (mcgeady being the exception....but then is he classes as scottish) Shay given is another but again is Irish

I'm happy to be set straight and again no offence intended to any of the gers fans out there.

Will possibly look at the british option as you say a lot of rangers fans are proud of their british heritage, i may incorporate british players under the age of 20

Thanks for the suggestion

I will start the game this evening and post tomorrow.

I think that this sounds like a good challenge, although i agree that you should try and use just british players, which also means you cant buy players from the Republic of Ireland as they are not in Britain. I think that getting promoted will be fairly easy, so your added incentives/challenges make it better. I hate seeing a story where someone wins everything all the time its just boring in my opinion.

DJ, thanks for the reply and setting the record straight, and i dont think its a rant, just pretend im a reporter for the redtops in scotland with my facts ;)

Just for info i have no axe to grind with either half of the old firm and support a provincial scottish club (last team before Gretna to go bust)

To respond to some of your points barrie mckay you are spot on, i was thinking of Billy mckay at ICT and he's not even scottish....got my mcKays mixed up.

On the British V Scottish argument, i was trying to narrow it a little more in order that it became a tougher challenge as you rightly point out there are a few good northern irish players at Rangers now Dene Shiels being a case in point, in terms of only signing youth prospects i think i would struggle as the board would not give me the time i need to get a winning team on the park and sack me when results were poor (that may be a challenge for a different day)

In terms of 'buying success' that isnt a veiled dig at the previous owners but more of an old firm issue where one or the other in the past didnt give youth much of a chance (or at least that is my perception) due to the pressures

Ragarding players let go, that was merely that if Rangers could hold onto the good young scottish talent (for whatever reason) then they potentially would be in a much better position now

I know this will upset the other side of the fence but i dont recall many good young scottish players being produced at celtic and leaving (mcgeady being the exception....but then is he classes as scottish) Shay given is another but again is Irish

I'm happy to be set straight and again no offence intended to any of the gers fans out there.

Will possibly look at the british option as you say a lot of rangers fans are proud of their british heritage, i may incorporate british players under the age of 20

Thanks for the suggestion

I will start the game this evening and post tomorrow.

Red tops in Scotland might aswell be Celtic Fanzine's :D hahaha

Of course not mate, wasn't insinuating anything about that.

Easy mistake, plenty of players under similar names in Scotland.

You could maybe duplicate your save and if one fails, try the other. You'd be fine going through the lower divisions only using youth though, i pretty much did with ease. It may be almost as challenging wit only Scottish players.

You are spot on there actually, it was often deemed too risky to play youth and that was to our detriment, sadly. Fans cried out for youth to be utilised.

You'll be fine keeping a hold of the young players already there though.

These are our youth players with the highest PA of the youth team, with -7 PA (random PA set at the start of each game, between 110-140) They turn out good enough for the SPL

Jamie Mills LB - Scottish
Chris Hegarty RB/CB - Northern Irish
Kane Hemmings ST - English
Lewis MacLeod CM - Scottish
Stuart Urquhart CB - Scottish
Fraser Aird RAM - Scottish/Canadian
Darren Ramsey RAM - Scottish
Callum Gallagher ST - Scottish
Barrie McKay CAM - Scottish
Luca Gasparotto CB - Canadian/Italian

Any other youth players aren't very good, but Kyle Hutton is worth keeping, as is Ross Perry.

That lot are easy upset mate :D Hutton, Wilson and Adam are our most recent when we were in the SPL though.

I know no offence was intended and none was taken, just wanted you to start your story in the best way possible!

British would still be a challenge, especially until the SPL anyway. Good luck, i look forward to it!

I think that this sounds like a good challenge, although i agree that you should try and use just british players, which also means you cant buy players from the Republic of Ireland as they are not in Britain. I think that getting promoted will be fairly easy, so your added incentives/challenges make it better. I hate seeing a story where someone wins everything all the time its just boring in my opinion.

My challenge is slightly or massively harder (depends how you look at it) in that im restricting myself to only scottish players.
if i open to british players does that not make it easier?

My challenge is slightly or massively harder (depends how you look at it) in that im restricting myself to only scottish players.
if i open to british players does that not make it easier?

Only the English players you would have a better pool to choose from, but Divisions 3-1 won't provide you with allot... I noticed that on my Rangers save.

AND SO THE STORY BEGINS

The news had filtered through that Charles Green had secured the future of Rangers football club
Fans were jubilant and gathered outside Ibrox

A hastily arranged press conference was arranged at Murray park and as the press pack gathered they were in for a bit of a shock.

Charles green had brought in his own manager and dispensed of the service of club legend Ally McCoist, the room fell silent as the announcement was made

Rangers new manager was Jock Tamson, 32 years old and an ex Scottish professional who never really made It in the game and injury forced him out at 30, luckily he had been going through his coaching badges and this was his first appointment on the managerial ladder.

Tamson laid out his plans for the club and playing to the gallery told the room that the policy of the Rangers football club was to only sign British players and to look to promote youth from within.

Gone were the days of buying multi million pound foreign players and huge wages, this is what brought this great club to its knees, under his stewardship those dark days would never once again come to the fore.

Questions were fired at him from all angles and he answered them clearly and concisely, ‘what is your ultimate aim for this club, what do you think you can achieve’, Tamson replied that with the squad of players he had and the signing targets in mind he would expect promotion through the divisions and a speedy return to the Scottish Premier League.

There would be a period of consolidation in that division before the actual work begins and that is to bring European glory back to Ibrox, there was a ripple of laughter in the room although this was quelled immediately by the steely glare of determination from Tamson, comparisons were already being drawn to Mourinho and that infamous first meeting of the press.

COULD TAMSON LIVE UP TO THE HYPE.

Charles Green in a private meeting stated that nothing less than promotion would be acceptable to this club………

First things first a request made to the board to upgrade the youth facilities....
View attachment 304203

although welcome due to the tranfer limitations set on the club and not due to be lifted until Jan 2014, this would have a serious affect on club finances.

Onto the friendlies

An intra-squad friendly threw up a surprising 0-0 draw and possibly should have been taken more note of.

A strong Dynamo Kiev team were next and a spirited display was only marred by a late winner to consign rangers to defeat

In a surprising twist the first signing by the new manager was Dean Furman a young foreign import, it later turned out this was sanctioned by the youth team manager, a swift and to the point memo was issued concerning the transfer policy and that all transfers would now need to be approved by Tamson

Kilmarnock next and an absolute mauling to finish 2-1 was considered a good result considering

The transfer policy was kicking in now and Richard Brittain from Inverness Caledonian Thistle quickly joined as one of the few senior pro’s that would be bought to give experience to the kids that Rangers would undoubtedly sign.

The first Youth team signings
David Johnson Striker from Brechin
Ben Chappison DRC from Hull
James Jones CM From Crewe
16 year old Ryan Gauld from Dundee utd –a promising star in the making
These signings clearly showed the direction that Rangers were headed

Bayer Leverkusen were next and despite a smattering of new signings in the squad Rangers fell to a heavy defeat, the only plus point was young full back Darren Ramsey getting onto the score sheet

Arbroath provided the next opposition to Rangers and scored in 3 minutes, despite pounding their defence for the next 87 minutes rangers could not break through and suffered an embarrassing defeat.

Tamson was under pressure already and a competitive ball had not been picked.

It was clear that there were areas that need strengthened, Right Full Back and Centre Half were key areas and a stopper to challenge Neal Alexander was also on Tamsons shopping list.

31 year old Scott Thompson Right Full Back signed on a free and despite holding American citizenship qualifies by nature of his second nationality which is English in Rangers bright new dawn.
Paul Paton was signed from Partick thistle as cover to Thompson

Fergus Bell who had looked good in a trial was signed also.

Next Opponents Oldham Athletic at Boundary park and a drab affair saw the game ending in a 0-0 scoreline

Pre-season has not gone well and Rangers really need to up their game

League Cup was drawn and Rangers would Face Airdrie United, ironically a fate of Liquidation had befallen the previous club Airdrieonians, although their readmission to the football league was blocked, and after a protracted takeover of Clydebank FC Airdrie United were formed, this would be a reasonable test for Rangers

Challenge Cup Draw was made and Hamilton Academicals were the opposition.

A good result was required for both these games to get rangers off to a flyer.

A change in formation from 4-4-2 to 4-3-2-1 took Hamilton by surprise a 2-0 victory was recorded and a debut goal for Northern Ireland international Dene Shiels and a fantastic display and a man of the match performance from new signing and recently appointed Club Captain Richard Brittain were the high points

Buoyed from the last match Rangers had a bounce in their step going into this game and their class told in a 3-0 victory, Northern Ireland international Dean Shiels 2 goals in 2 games was fast becoming a rangers favorite and Richard Brittain getting on the scoresheet and a debut goal for towering striker Kevin Kyle things were looking promising but it was early.

Striker Andy Little suffered a serious injury and could be out for some time, Fergus Bell would be getting his chance sooner than thought.

In the after match conference Tamson said that although delighted with the start a fall the standard had been set and that it must be maintained, what sort of reaction would they get.

View attachment 304204

The first game in the league was just around the corner against East Stirling now the story really begins.

I will update probably around 6 -10 games or so unless something interesting happens

Transfers coming along nicely, would like one or two more youths to train up
View attachment 304205

Hope you enjoy and any feedback appreciated

Superb start mate, spot on with your intoduction.

I'll keep a close eye on this story. As i posted above you have very capable young players there alrwady, do not be scared to use them... these first two seasons will be easy!

I'll give you a bit of feedback prior to everything, keep the attribute graphs in your player screen shots when you do post them so we can see player progress better.

Good luck! WATP

Cheers, most of the kids are on the bench and will be getting a lot of playing time, Kyle Hutton and Lewis Kidd both are main starters also Little, Barrie Mckay and Darren Cole featureed heavily so far. will post later tomorrow after some game time

DOH!! just had a Basic C++ runtime error and cant find any way to fix this so game is defunct which is a pity as had won third division and challenge cup beaten finalist in league cup nowhere in scottish cup but hey ho

Im going to start a new game with a twist which i will update leter in the week

Anyone know what the C++ Runtime error is?