cyoung17

Reaction score
Evening gents!

This is my first tactic that I've posted to be gentle.

Before I start, I should add that I am in no way slagging any other Van Gaal tactic, only that this is my interpretation of how he plays.

I'm posting my interpretation of Van Gaals 3-5-2 after studying his philosophy detailed in the very interesting 'visie'.

I think there is a misconception that a Van Gaal tactic should be 'Very Fluid' given his emphasis on a "common goal" and "no one player is greater than the team". With that said, Van Gaal is quoted as saying "Preparing your tactical formation is essential. Each player needs to know where he has to be, and that is why there needs to be mutual understanding because you need absolute discipline." With that in mind I have decided that a rigid strategy would me the most suitable. This is further emphasised with “You have to play as a team, and not as an individual,” Van Gaal told FIFA TV in an interview.“That’s why I’m always looking at the vision, then the team, and then who fits in the profiles that I make for all the positions in my system.” I conclude that every player has to fit a specific role i.e. Advanced playmaker, Deep lying playmaker, Box to box midfielder etc.

A fluid formation would make these roles redundant and have everyone playing in a very generic role.

Van Gaal doesn't believe in counter attacking and believes attack is the best form of defence. He likes to retain possesion and sit deep to invite teams on to him and then quickly exploit the space left behind.

When not in possesion, Van Gaal believes in playing a high pressing game and winning the ball back as quickly as possible.

With all that said I will present the tactic:

It led me to a league and champions league double in season 1.

View attachment 344701
View attachment 344700

The following is my squad in my current season. Success is only starting to come again as I absolutely gutted the squad in favour of youth.

View attachment 344696

**Latest season with QPR. Finished 3rd!**

View attachment 337467

Training should be balanced and high with attacking movement
No OIs
I'm sure you all know team talks by now.
plug and play so dont change for any situation.

I havent tested with any other team so I hope it works for you.

View attachment 344697

Last edited:
It tends to be crossed or set pieces. crosses aren't so bad as having the two bpds on stopper means the close the wide men that have exploited the space left by the attacking full backs and the CD covers any balls over the top. It is pretty solid at the back.

Wow, this tactic is surprisingly good. I say surprisingly because you'd ever expect much from a tactic with just a few screenshots.

It is such a good tactic!!
Good job cyoung17. Hope you can improve this tactic further more

Always trying to improve. Doing a test with Swansea at the minute to see how it does with a lesser team. Top after 6 games. Still a long way to go. If anyone else can post pics of their results that would be great.

gonna give this a whirl with Liverpool. I like this system in general and the squad doesn't really fit a setup with wingers (no summer transfer updates); I've already played a few matches, early results are really good but we all know how whimsical this particular version of FM can be. will report back later

I guess I've jinxed it... trashed Arsenal 4-1 at home and after drawing away at Chelsea which I'll accept any day we destroyed West Ham 8-2 away (they had 2 players sent off) - then bam, international break! and all of a sudden all my players are with barely good morale, and the losing streak began... though I suppose it's rather a flaw in the game design than one in the tactic since it pretty much happens 9 out of 10 times. sigh.

I think you just need to ride the wave. I always have a few games blip in all of my games. So far I've over achieved with every team i've been. It also won me the league with Swansea which means nothing as I dont have any screenshots. I've made tons of tactics this year and I haven't managed to make anything better than this one. Going to start a new game with Valencia and see if I can crack the big 3.

yeah, I'm gonna keep at it, the tactic seems decent, even more than so. It's just this bullshit randomness that I can't really tolerate after so much months of this version, but still... I'll try to finish a full season without rage quitting and we'll see :D

This tactic is awesome! Thread needs a serious bump.