The Red Devils - Not A Manchester United Story

Yikes that's brutal

Tell me about it mate. Jake was definitely going to be one of my star players I think this season and in his first 4 appearances he'd been pretty awesome so far too!

With that injury to Jake Forster-Caskey, I needed to get to work on transfer deadline day to bring a replacement in.

1667399935716.png

LOAN SIGNING: HENRY CARTWRIGHT
Signed on loan from Leicester City

4. cartwright.JPG

A very good young midfielder who is more than adequate to step in for Jake. Henry will spend the season with us and can certainly make an impact as he looks for his first competitive games in professional football.

I did also need a backup keeper for the season ahead.

1667399960726.png

LOAN SIGNING: DYLAN BERRY
Signed on loan from Norwich

4. berry.JPG

Dylan is not only good enough as a decent backup, but can also push for a starting spot this season as well.

Last year when we played Colchester, the completed a smash 'n' grab victory over us in a game we dominated!

And this year, they repeated the same thing! I'm not sure if they're my bogey team or not, but it's so frustrating to lose to a side that we absolutely hammer for 90 minutes!

4. colchester.JPG

This year's Papa John's Trophy had pitted us against Aston Villa's youngsters and a couple of League One clubs. We'd kick things off in the group stage against Leyton Orient, who beat us three times last year.

4. papa johns draw.JPG

However, this is a different season and this is a different Crawley team...a team Orient couldn't live with this time round!

4. orient cup.JPG

Back in the league, we strung together a small run of 3 games unbeaten, although the Harrogate draw was disappointing as we threw a 2 goal lead!

4. 3 unbeaten.JPG

That would lead us to the 3rd round of the Carabao Cup and an away day against Southampton. Just like in the last round, there were no expectations on my team to get anything from this one.

There were no surprises here though as we were outclassed for most of the game by our Premier League opponents and the scoreline reflected exactly that.

4. southampton.JPG

Salford were up next for us in League Two. They were tipped as the pre season favourites to win the division this year, but came into this fixture in 20th place after a really disappointing start!

And we piled on the misery for them here as we cruised to a comfortable victory!

4. salford.JPG

We couldn't get anything from the Bradford game though. The sending off of Chris Popov didn't help, but right at the end of the game, it looked like we might just have snatched a point, only to concede a minute later! Gutting way to end the game.

4. bradford.JPG

In the Papa John's Trophy, we'd already won our first game against League One opposition and we'd now take on another club from the division above in the form of Burton Albion.

And again, a brilliant performance from the lads as we record another win!

4. burton albion.JPG

It means we have pretty much qualified for the knockout stages with a game still to play!

4. papa johns qualified.JPG

We carried our good form back into the league as well, with two more wins over Sutton and Doncaster, two sides that were sitting in the top 9 at kick off.

4. sutton and donny.JPG

So we're 5th after 11 games and with a game in hand over a couple of the sides above us, we could still move into the top 3 and automatic promotion spots! Hopefully, we can continue this run of form that we are on and really push on over the next few games to ensure we stay in contention at the top end of the table.

4. league.JPG

Enjoying following this one! Been to Crawley plenty of times watching Oxford in the past, the giant football on the roundabout outside the ground springs to mind.

Think you can make the autos this season!

Enjoying following this one! Been to Crawley plenty of times watching Oxford in the past, the giant football on the roundabout outside the ground springs to mind.

Think you can make the autos this season!

Thanks for reading mate and glad you're enjoying the story!

Our next two league games pitted us against two sides that were relegated from League One last season. They were two of the better sides in our league this year and both expected to make a promotion push.

So to come away from both games with a draw is probably seen as decent, although it was so gutting not to take all three against Cambridge as their equalizer came with the final kick of the game.

5. cambridge.JPG

5. exeter.JPG

Bottom of the league Accrington were up next and this should be 3 points in the bag.

But it wasn't as we labour to our third 1-1 draw in a row! Disappointing.

5. accrington.JPG

Stockport were 3 points and 2 places ahead of us before we kicked off against them and I was keen to put a statement out there with a big win.

And the lads delivered for me as we record a comfortable victory which saw us leapfrog our opponents in the table and we're back in the playoff places again.

5. stockport.JPG

Our first venture into this season's FA Cup would see us take on League One opposition in the form of Burton Albion. We had already beaten them this season in the Papa John's Trophy, so had every reason to feel confident we could get something from this game.

And get something we did! We were all over them for the full 90 minutes and it was a fully deserved win for us, with Burton probably lucky to have only conceded twice in the game.

5. burton cup.JPG

Sticking with cup football, our next game was our final group game of the Papa John's Trophy. We've played a lot of football lately with 2 games a week for a few weeks now, so I took the opportunity to rest most of the first team.

Even with the second string, we pull off a big win against the youngsters of Aston Villa.

5. villa u21s.JPG

We've absolutely stormed through the group stages of the competition this season!

5. papa johns group.JPG

Confidence was at an all time high right now and our following four league games saw us take another 10 points from 12 available. AFC Wimbledon and Forest Green are two sides currently in the running to contest for the playoff spots so they were particularly pleasing results.

5. 10 points.JPG

Charlie Wyke was really starting to hit his stride up top now and he is closing in on 10 league goals for the season and has 15 in all competitions this year.

5. wyke.JPG

Over the course of the next week, we would play two cup games. First up would be our Papa John's Trophy second round fixture against Shrewsbury Town.

The Shrews are doing alright in the league above this year, sitting 8th, so to lose by the narrowest of margins isn't the worst result in the world and although we're out of the competition, we can be proud of our efforts.

5. shrewsbury.JPG

I was hoping we could quickly put things right in the FA Cup against lower league opposition.

It's fair to say that we took our frustrations from the Shrewsbury game out on poor old Hampton & Richmond.

5. hamptin and richmond.JPG

Back in the league, it was a case of 4th against 6th as we took on Grimsby Town. And it would be a warm up for the FA Cup 3rd round as we'd also drawn them there.

5. fa cup grims draw.JPG

And we were on the wrong end of the result unfortunately!

5. grimsby.JPG

It saw Grimsby jump above us in the table, but 20 games into the season and we are still very much in the playoff and promotion races!

5. league.JPG

Massive, massive game up next as we took on 3rd placed Wrexham who hadn't lost in 9 games.

But they didn't make it 10 unbeaten as we turn in a solid performance to take a big 3 points over one of our playoff/promotion rivals.

6. wrexham.JPG

Bromley also came up last year with Wrexham and are playing in the EFL leagues for the first time in their history. And they're not doing terrible, sitting 15th.

But we were too strong for them! Another 3 points on the board!

6. bromley.JPG

We only beat Forest Green 2-0 a matter of 3 weeks ago, so we had no reason to think we couldn't turn them over again here in our Boxing Day fixture.

And we did repeat things by beating them again. By a slightly narrower margin, but a wins a win!

6. forest green.JPG

Our next two games over the New Year period came within just 3 days of each other and would be against both a Bradford side and a Grimsby side that have already beaten us this season! These two games could either propel us into the automatic promotion spots or possibly see us drop right down and almost out of the playoff positions.

4 points from these two games is good! Very good! Especially doing Grimsby with 10 men!

6. bradford.JPG

6. grimsby.JPG

It was 4 points that moved us into the automatic promotion spots for the first time this season!

6. moved into top 3.JPG

Meanwhile, the January transfer window is now open and there has been an immediate departure from the club. Enzio Boldewijn has been struggling for playing time and had become unhappy at the club. With only 6 months left on his contract, I was happy to agree to his wishes for a move and he joins Helmond Sport for £13k.

6. boldewijn.JPG

As Boldewijn leaves, another player signs.

1667567106850.png

NEW SIGNING: CALLUM MCFADZEAN
Signed from Wrexham
Fee: £38k

6. mcfadzean.JPG

Nothing better than raiding one of your promotion rivals for a new players. McFadzean has been Wrexham's number one at left back this year, so this definitely weakens them.

Our next game was set for 2nd vs 3rd as we took on Doncaster Rovers.

It was a close fought encounter which could have gone either way, but it was Donny who got the better of us! It's a hard one to take after we had 18 shots at their goal and hit the crossbar twice in the game!

6. donny.JPG

Another departure from the club up next as left back Nick Tsaroulla leaves for Nicosia. He agreed a pre contract deal to join them at the end of the season and I negotiated for him to go right away for a fee of £10k.

6. tsaroulla.JPG

Our next league game against Sutton saw us get right back to winning ways, thanks to Charlie Wyke's 20th goal of the season!

6. sutton.JPG

In the FA Cup, we took on Grimsby Town, knowing that a win would see us into the 4th round and the potential to play one of the Premier League's big boys.

But it won't be us that progresses despite dominating possession and chances throughout the game. Brandon Mason had a shocker and two errors of his led to two of their goals and ultimately on the day, that cost us!

6. grimsby cup.JPG

I was hoping we could immediately bounce back in our next League Two fixture against Walsall.

It wasn't the most convincing of victories but we got the job done.

6. walsall.JPG

28 games of the season now gone and we are sitting in the automatic promotion spots and just 4 points off leaders, Exeter City. We have opened up a nice 8 point gap back to AFC Wimbledon in 8th as we continue to make our push for at least a playoff spot this year and meet the board's expectations.

6. league.JPG

One player we may be relying on between now and the end of the campaign is George Thompson. He hasn't been a first team regular all season, starting just 12 league games, but he is lately becoming one of the first names on the teamsheet as he leads the assist charts for the division, despite his lack of playing time.

7. assists charts.JPG

7. thompson.JPG

However, he couldn't create anything for us as we were beaten by Cambridge. No complaints from my side - they were the better team and we didn't deserve to win.

7. cambridge.JPG

And our next game would be a very difficult proposition as we faced off against top of the league Exeter!

Massive result!!

7. exeter.JPG

With the January transfer window winding down, it was time for a new signing and this one being more a youngster for the future.

1667643103904.png

NEW SIGNING: RYAN O'KANE
Signed from Dundalk
Fee: £275k

7. o kane.JPG

O'Kane has been immediately loaned back to Dundalk to see out the remainder of the season with them as part of my deal to sign him. He will be back here in the Summer to make a push for our first team though and I'm hoping he'll develop into a decent little player.

Meanwhile, one of O'Kane's fellow players from the Irish league will join up with the Crawley squad right away.

1667643165600.png

NEW SIGNING: JAMIE MULLINS
Signed from Derry City
Fee: £195k

7. mullins.JPG

Another 20 year old attacker who could improve and become a first team regular for us, I'll be looking to integrate Mullins into the first team during the back end of this season.

Back to the action and it was a really disappointing defeat to relegation battling Harrogate! The sending off of McLaughlin really cost us here as they hadn't had a shot up until that point!

7. harrogate.JPG

I had to question if we were bottling our promotion push as we followed up the Harrogate defeat with another against Rochdale who leapfrog us in the table!

7. rochdale.JPG

After two straight defeats, anything but a win against struggling Gillingham would be a disaster.

A second half Charlie Wyke double and a Jack Powell cracker ensured disaster was avoided! We must kick on from here though!

7. gillingham.JPG

We had a 2 week gap to prepare for the clash against pre season title favourites, Salford City, who were having a very underwhelming season (sitting 13th in the table).

But they are steadily climbing the table and in all honesty, we couldn't live with them here and were well beaten! I don't think we were poor...I think they were just really good!

7. salford.JPG

We bounced back right away with a good performance against Accrington Stanley which ensured we don't lose touch with the leading group.

7. accrington.JPG

Our form has been a bit indifferent lately though and we continued that trend against Stockport suffering a disappointing defeat, before back to back 2-0 victories to get us back on track!

7. stock and back 2 back.JPG

We have just 8 games of the season remaining and we are very much in the mix for automatic promotion, but it's tight between 5 of us who are all sitting behind Exeter City who should go on to win the league from here.

7. league.JPG

One player we may be relying on between now and the end of the campaign is George Thompson. He hasn't been a first team regular all season, starting just 12 league games, but he is lately becoming one of the first names on the teamsheet as he leads the assist charts for the division, despite his lack of playing time.

View attachment 602977

View attachment 602963

However, he couldn't create anything for us as we were beaten by Cambridge. No complaints from my side - they were the better team and we didn't deserve to win.

View attachment 602964

And our next game would be a very difficult proposition as we faced off against top of the league Exeter!

Massive result!!

View attachment 602965

With the January transfer window winding down, it was time for a new signing and this one being more a youngster for the future.

View attachment 602966

NEW SIGNING: RYAN O'KANE
Signed from Dundalk
Fee: £275k

View attachment 602967

O'Kane has been immediately loaned back to Dundalk to see out the remainder of the season with them as part of my deal to sign him. He will be back here in the Summer to make a push for our first team though and I'm hoping he'll develop into a decent little player.

Meanwhile, one of O'Kane's fellow players from the Irish league will join up with the Crawley squad right away.

View attachment 602968

NEW SIGNING: JAMIE MULLINS
Signed from Derry City
Fee: £195k

View attachment 602969

Another 20 year old attacker who could improve and become a first team regular for us, I'll be looking to integrate Mullins into the first team during the back end of this season.

Back to the action and it was a really disappointing defeat to relegation battling Harrogate! The sending off of McLaughlin really cost us here as they hadn't had a shot up until that point!

View attachment 602970

I had to question if we were bottling our promotion push as we followed up the Harrogate defeat with another against Rochdale who leapfrog us in the table!

View attachment 602971

After two straight defeats, anything but a win against struggling Gillingham would be a disaster.

A second half Charlie Wyke double and a Jack Powell cracker ensured disaster was avoided! We must kick on from here though!

View attachment 602972

We had a 2 week gap to prepare for the clash against pre season title favourites, Salford City, who were having a very underwhelming season (sitting 13th in the table).

But they are steadily climbing the table and in all honesty, we couldn't live with them here and were well beaten! I don't think we were poor...I think they were just really good!

View attachment 602973

We bounced back right away with a good performance against Accrington Stanley which ensured we don't lose touch with the leading group.

View attachment 602974

Our form has been a bit indifferent lately though and we continued that trend against Stockport suffering a disappointing defeat, before back to back 2-0 victories to get us back on track!

View attachment 602975

We have just 8 games of the season remaining and we are very much in the mix for automatic promotion, but it's tight between 5 of us who are all sitting behind Exeter City who should go on to win the league from here.

View attachment 602976
Keep going I'm going to the FA Cup today but will there be any updates this weekend?

Interesting to see you sign Callum McFazdean. I was planning to replace him when I start my Wrexham save on full release. Might need a rethink if he performs for you

Interesting to see you sign Callum McFazdean. I was planning to replace him when I start my Wrexham save on full release. Might need a rethink if he performs for you

To be honest, he was brought in as a backup and won't play a lot unless there is an injury to Brandon Mason.

The first of our final 8 matches saw us take on Carlisle who were in the bottom half of the table and should present us with an opportunity to chalk up another win.

A Colm Whelan hat trick saw us cruise to a comfortable victory.

8. carlisle.JPG

Whelan has been in scintillating form lately and 6 goals in his last 4 games was enough for him to lift the player of the month award.

8. whelan player of month.JPG

Sending offs have cost us a few points this season and that was the case once again as we suffered defeat to Northampton in a game we probably would have won had we not had to play half the game with 10 men!

8. northampton.JPG

That defeat means that with 6 games remaining, we have now dropped 4 points off the automatic playoff spots and can't really afford to drop any more points.

8. 4 points off autos.JPG

A tough away day was up next against 8th placed Colchester who were still hunting down a playoff spot.

We got off to the perfect start with Jack Powell putting us in front inside 4 minutes as he scored a cracking volley from outside the box to record his 11th goal of the season. However, we were only in front for a few minutes before Colchester levelled. What followed was 80 minutes of back and forth football with both sides creating plenty of chances but neither was able to find the back of the net again and it was a case of spoils shared.

8. colchester.JPG

We had to get a result at home to Tranmere!

We weren't at our best but got the job done!

8. tranmere.JPG

Our own form of late has been a bit up and down, but Doncaster are doing their very best to help us out as they have now lost 3 of their last 4 games, which has enabled us to jump above them into the automatic promotion places with 4 games remaining!

8. autos with 3 left.JPG

One thing we have struggled with in the first couple of years at the club is the youth intake. Last year's was terrible...this year's is even worse!

8. youth intake.JPG

As the season is drawing to a close, games don't get much bigger than this! We will take on 2nd placed Wrexham, who knew that a win against us would cement their place in League One next season.

So there is no denying this could possibly be our biggest win of the entire season!

8. wrexhham.JPG

With our inconsistency recently, it would be just like us to go and beat 2nd placed Wrexham and then lose to 15th placed Bromley.

But not this time! Another step closer!

8. bromley.JPG

Three wins on the bounce was enough for me to lift the manager of the month award for April.

8. manager of month.JPG

Now surely we wouldn't go and drop points in our penultimate game against bottom of the table, Newport County?

We nearly did!! At 2-1 down I was worried, but in the end the lads rallied and ground out a massive win under the circumstances.

8. newport.JPG

Doncaster Rovers had only gone and lost away at Sutton, whilst Wrexham also lost at Stockport! It means that unless there is the most ridiculous final day goal swing, we will secure at least 3rd place and be going up automatically this season! And if we better Wrexham's result, we might even pinch 2nd place off them!

8. league with 1 left.JPG

Our final game of the season...Walsall away.

And I won't lie...we were ****** awful!

8. walsall.JPG

Luckily, the job was already done and it's a 3rd place finish for us this season and we'll be playing League One football next season! I'm absolutely delighted! Meanwhile, it's a title win for Exeter City and back to back promotions for Hollywood club, Wrexham. Gillingham drop into non league football as Bromley stay up, meaning there is a new king of Kent football for the first time in a fair few years.

8. league.JPG

Congrats on promotion! :D Great to see my boys go back to back aswell