May 2019

Champions League Final

View attachment 122362

"Gentleman, if you lose today you will continue to be the best in the world, but if you win you will be eternal"
Pep Guardiola

*******************************************************************************************
View attachment 122360
View attachment 122359

Champions League Final 2019

Barcelona vs. Bayer Leverkusen

Run to the final

View attachment 122350 View attachment 122351

We've had the more conventional route to the final, having not lost a game the whole campaign. Barcelona have tested their luck a few times, none more so than against City in the semi final.

Lineups

View attachment 122358 View attachment 122347

Barca have huge selection issues. The greatest player to play the game, Lionel Messi is out injured, Jordi Alba misses the game, Serge Aurier is suspended, Sergio Busquets is out and Gerard Pique is also out. We’ve got to stick to our guns. For the away legs against United and Juventus we sat back and soaked up pressure looking to avoid defeat, but here in the final, I feel like we owe it to ourselves to take the game to Barcelona. Both teams are going 4-2-3-1, and I trust my team to prove they’re a better side than Barcelona. Vermaelen is a weak point for them and I'm looking to exploit him.

*******************************************************************************************

Kick Off

11th Minute:

GOAL

Neymar cuts inside from the left wing and finds Luis Suarez, he holds off Andreas Christensen and plays a back heel into the onrushing Gelson Martins who is one on one with Bernd Leno and slides the ball under him. Disaster of a start. 1-0 Barcelona.

View attachment 122357

36th minute:

GOAL

Ivan Rakitic whips in a corner and Neymar of all people wins the flick on at the near post. Bern leno dives to save but is caught in Luis Suarez’s path and can only palm the ball out towards Thomas Vermaelen who tucks it away from a couple of yards. 2-0 Barcelona, our dreams are fading before our eyes.

View attachment 122356

45th minute:

Brandt has the beating of Juan Bernat all day. He knocks the ball past the Spaniard and crosses it towards Mario Mandzukic. He takes a touch out of his feet, drags the ball back and managed to get a shot away from 8 yards but Ter Stegen swings an arm at it to keep it out. Our best chance of the half.

Half time

Bayer Leverkusen 0-2 Barcelona

Barca have been a class above us so far. Their counter is ripping us to pieces and something has to change. We push to attacking and aggressively tell the players to show some passion for the fans. There’s 45 minutes left of the season, we need to make sure we leave everything out on the pitch and if that’s not good enough then we tried. Barcelona take off the injured Juan Bernat and replace him with Pablo Zabaleta.

49th minute:

Hakan Calhanoglu has been poor and is replaced by Kevin Volland. Still no sign of a breakthrough.

71st minute:

All is looking lost for us here. The frustrated Leroy Sane is substituted on for Mario Mandzukic whom had a poor game. Sane and Brandt will go wide wide De Bruyne playing off of Volland. We push to Overload and will throw everything we’ve got left at them.

73rd minute:

GOAL

Brandt takes a short free kick from 30 yards out to Akkaynak who floats in a direct ball into the box. Ter Stegen comes charging out and Kevin De Bruyne beats Samuel Umtiti to the header and loops the ball over Ter Stegen. We’re back in the game, 2-1, come on!!

View attachment 122355

76th minute:

Rafinha is replaced by Oscar as Barcelona drop to a 4-3-3 with the intention of hitting us on the counter. Less than 15 minutes to go.

84th minute:

Hojberg is brought on for Akkaynak since he is the last semi-attacking player we have left on the bench. We’re now throwing the kitchen sink at them, balls are getting lumped into the box but Barca are first to everything.

85th minute:

GOAL

KEVIN KAMPLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SLOVENIAN SCORES AN ABSOLUTE SCREAMER FROM 30 YARDS INTO THE TOP CORNER OFF OF THE CROSS BAR, WHAT A GOAL, WHAT A MOMENT! 2-2, WE’RE BACK IN IT.

View attachment 122354

86th minute:

Gelson Martins the scorer of the first goal is replaced by Andre Gomes. Barca acknowledge the momentum is fully in our favour and try halt our advances.

87th minute:

HUGE CHANCE. Oscar switches the ball to Neymar who gets in behind our defence, he’s clear one on one with Bernd Leno who comes rushing out and decides to try tackle Neymar. The ball ricochets against the Brazilian and is heading for goal! Jonathan Tah sprints back and clears the ball about a foot away from crossing the line, unbelievable from both Tah and Leno. We hold on, still 2-2.

View attachment 122353

93rd minute:

The referee blows for full time, that’s it for 90 minutes. We’ve came back from the dead to take the game to extra time, but even at that, Neymar was inches away from winning the Champions League for Barcelona. The players don’t need a pep talk, they know what they need to do. The players have virtually nothing left in their legs after this their 54th game of the season. This next 30 minutes won’t be about footballing ability, but by mental strength.

Full Time:

Bayern Munich 2-2 Bayer Leverkusen

Extra Time

94th minute:

GOAL

LEROY SANEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! THE FORGOTTEN MAN OF THE LEVERKUSEN TEAM SCORES HIS FIRST GOAL FOR THE CLUB IN THE BIGGEST OF STAGES TO GIVE LEVERKUSEN THE LEAD!!!

De Bruyne switches the ball wide to Benji Henrichs and crosses into Sane who peels off his man and volleys it with his left foot into the bottom corner. 3-2 Leverkusen, reality is sinking in.

View attachment 122352

105th minute:

Andre Gomes has to come off injured and Barca have no subs left to replace him. They now chase the game with just 10 men.

Half Time in extra time:

Bayer Leverkusen 3-2 Barcelona

I cannot believe this. We’re 15 minutes away. We cannot blow this now, we’ve worked so hard to get to this stage. We must keep it tight.

Full Time A.E.T

Bayer Leverkusen 3-2 Barcelona

View attachment 122363

View attachment 122361

WE’VE DONE IT. BAYER LEVERKUSEN ARE TREBLE WINNERS.

Last edited:
Hat's off my friend you fully deserved it !!!

Absolute scenes!!

What a read this story is mate, really looking forward to see If you can repeat this glorious season!!

Thanks for the likes and support on this story everyone, much appreciated!

I'm not going to lie to you all - I'm not seeing much point in continuing this story much further. The big goal that I set for the series has been completed and I'm deliberating whether it's worth continuing to write about. I've played into January of next season and still really enjoying the save, just unsure of whether or not to keep writing about it.

If you want, let me know if you guys would like me to keep you updated with an update every few days or just give a seasonal update.

Again, thanks for the support everyone!

I have followed your story, GR14B and i wish to read in future updates from you, so i vote for every day;) if you didn't lose your joy for playing and writing;)

Have a good night!

I have followed your story, GR14B and i wish to read in future updates from you, so i vote for every day;) if you didn't lose your joy for playing and writing;)

Have a good night!
Seconded

Would love to see you carry on with this mate, have really enjoyed it!

Why not continuing the save with a new team in a new league ? Try with Napoli or Sevilla for example. Good team with strong roster. Try to win ECL with them in order to test yourself ha ha !!