The Return of A Fallen Soldier: A Vitesse Arnhem Story

Lylinho

Reaction score

u0zQIvj.jpg

Every boy born in Arnhem dreams of wearing the yellow and black shirt. Some even make that dream come true. Even fewer go on to wearing the Oranje jersey of the national team. Before my 20th birthday, I had a achieved all these things. before my 20th birthday they were all snatched away.

I won my first cap on the 4th of June 2005. I came on in 85th minute to replace Rafael van der Vaart. As he shook my hand on the touchline he shouted above the din of the crowd "Good luck kid, you can do it!". Dirk Kuyt and Arjen Robben had already ensured that we would defeat Romania, but the 6 odd minutes I spent on the pitch were unforgettable. 4 days later, during our final practice session in Helsinki, Mr van Basten took me aside and told me that I would be starting the match against Finland! I could hardly believe it! This was it! This is what I had been working towards all my life! The chance to prove myself alongside legends like Cocu and Gio van Bronckhorst! I don't remeber much of what happened the rest of that day. All I know is, in the 26th minute, I was sprinting down the right wing with the ball, I knew that Ruud would want me to loft it into the box in between the two central defenders. And then, nothing.

I have flashes of Mario Melchiot running on, the physio at my side, a severe pain in my right leg. No! Nobody tackled me! Nobody could get close to me! The doctors said that it was a muscle infraction in my right thigh. A sort of heart attack in the muscle. I would need a cane and rehab. An 18 year old who had to trade a career that was just starting for a cane and medication. I had played a total of 32 minutes for the national team in 2 matches. That is all that mattered to me. I would get back there. One way or another.

I should have thrown this newspaper away long ago...
6zEtfp5.jpg

Chapter 2: The Appointment

u0zQIvj.jpg

Walking into Merab Jordania's office on the 8th of July, I was reflecting on the past 8 years. Vitesse repaid the loyalty I had shown them my entire life by offering to pay for numerous surgeries, recovery programs and a lengthy 2 stint in rehab following my injury. The day I broke and threw my walking stick away in 2008 was the day I became a staff member. In 2010, Mr Jordania had entrusted me to taking over as the Under 19's Assistant Manager so that I could be close to the club I loved and help mould the next generation of Vitesse players. I was over the moon and immediately started working towards the Continental Pro License. A few years of working with the Under 19's and Reserve Team and I received the License on the 18th of February 2013. I had achieved another personal milestone and was determined to prove myself. Suddenly, I snap out of my daze and realize I've been standing at the Chairman's door, holding the door **** and my breath. Slowly breathing out, I open the door and walk inside.

Mr Jordania, smiling thoughtfully welcomed me into his spacious office. The first thing I noticed, as I always did when I walk into this room, is the framed picture of him with Roman Abramaovic. I was in the presence of a powerful man. "Lyle, I have some sad news" Mr. Jordania says to me, with the corners of his mouth twitching. I began panicking inwardly, immediately searching for the words to save my job as Reserve Team manager. Nervously, I say "Mr. Jordania, sir, I assure you those 2 losses last month were a dreadful mistake! See the thing is...". Laughing, he interrupts my stammering and said "No, no Lyle. This is not about the reserves! You have done well there. This is about Peter Bosz! This morning I had to relieve Mr Bosz of his position as manager of our dear club. The fool tries to convince me of his ambition and what does he do? He sells Bony and van Ginkel! Bah!". Having spent a lot of time with Marco van Ginkel at Under 19 level, I know exactly what a great talent we have lost. "So, I haven't lost my job as the reserve manager Mr. Jordania?" I asked reluctantly. "Alas, you will not be in charge of them anymore. I plan to remove all trace of Bosz and his bumbling staff at this club!" he said with a devious glint in his eye. Standing up dejectedly I manage to say "I'm sorry you feel that way Mr. Jordania. I will be clearing out my office if you need me". Laughing again, Mr. Joardania said 'Lyle, you will need to learn to call me Merab from now on if you are going to be the manager of Vitesse!". At this point I was already at the door but I freeze in the spot. "What?! What do you mean?" I nearly yell while spinning around wildly to face the Chairman. "Yes, at the board meeting yesterday we discussed possible successors for Peter and there is nobody that knows this club, its players and its mentality better than you! Understand me when I say this Mr. van der Berg, you will be the new manager of this illustrious club. The contract is on the table."

3HSASYo.jpg

1 hour later, after going over the contract we start to discuss the teams vision. 'All we want from you this season is a safe, mid-table finish" Merab tells me. Seeking to impress him, I replied "Mr. Jord... erm... Merab, I believe that with the right investment and tactics, we could qualify for the Europa League again." "Ha! a young and determined man I see! very well! I will make sure that you have what you need for this season. Hmm, from the look on your face, it seems as though you've already identified a few transfer targets! Tell me, who can you sign with ?3.5million?". It is my turn to be sneaky. Taking out my phone, I scroll down and dial a number as I make my way out of the office. "Just an old friend Merab. I'm just calling and old friend...". As I'm about to go out the door, I turned and saw Merab staring at me intently trying to hear my conversation. "Moshi moshi Keisuke-san! I hear you're trying to leave CSKA...'

Chapter 3: First Match in Charge

u0zQIvj.jpg

The events of the past month were still swirling in my head. I had been appointed manager of my boyhood club. I had rescued my old friend keisuke Honda from CSKA Moscow for ?1.8million. I strengthened the defence when I signed Gabriel Tamas from West Bromwich Albion and I snatched the brilliant youngster Raichiro Zivkovic from FC Groningen right before he would have signed for either AC Milan or Manchester City. Also, by selling Renato Ibarra to Ajax, I had even made a nice ?1 million profit. And it all lead up to this evening.

I was just going through the formations, the tactics and possible outcomes on the team bus, while we approached the Gelredome. The lights from the magnificent building were illuminating the supporters were strolling in a bit late. When they caught sight of the bus, they produced a cheer loud enough to be heard inside the stadium. With the roof being opened as a special request, the crowd inside roared in unison when images of the players leaving the bus were displayed on the big screen monitors. The Vitas had arrived. This was my first competitive match in charge after a successful pre-season. While the players went to change Mr. Jordania invited me up to the Executive Lounge in order to formerly meet the Xazar Lankaran staff. The first leg of Europa League 3rd Qualifying stage was about to kick off. I was nervous as I left the executive suite on my way to the changing rooms, but I walked to the edge of one of the stair-wells first. Surveying the crowd as the cheered while our boys warmed up, roaring passionately whenever someone passed the ball to Keisuke, I felt a sense of calm wash over me. I was born to do this.

CuZudT7.jpg

I found everyone settled and changed into their match kits by the time I got to the change room. Everybody looked eager to get onto the pitch to prove themselves worthy. Not to me though, but to the crowd. They were determined to show the world why they wore the kit. Turning down the stereo that was blasting Wiz Khalifa's "Black and Yellow", I told them calmly that they were the destined to be in this competition. They had to go out there and prove that we were determined to not only become the best team in the Netherlands but in Europe too. That did it. They were geared up and chomping at the bit to be unleashed on the pitch. While captain Guram Kashia lead the boys onto the pitch, I took up my new seat in the dugout. It felt strange, sitting there in a new suit while the players lined up, I felt like an emperor surveying his troops. Before I knew it, the ball was at the centre spot. When the whistle blew, my reign at the helm officially started.

It took Keisuke 2 minutes to make his mark. Jonathon Reis' expertly taken corner found Honda unmarked in the opposition area, and he coolly slotted the ball into the net. 2 minutes for the crowd to get behind him. While Keisuke and the rest of the players were celebrating on the touchline, I glanced up at the Executive Suite to see Mr Jordania grinning enthusiastically and he flashed me two thumbs up. 35 minutes later Xazar equalised and we went into halftime having created more chances and with the majority of possession. In the locker room, I simply told the team that I had faith in them. We would do exactly what we have been doing all night, and with high possession and unrelenting pressure, the result would come. In the 69th minute, keisuke was up to it again. Davy Propper had a shot blocked and Gael Kakuta pounced on the rebound. It too was blocked by a Xazar defender, but it fell straight to Honda who made no mistake when he lashed it into the net on the half volley. While he was doing some weird dance at the corner flag, he caught my eye and gave me a look that seemed to say "We're going all the way to the top!' In the 86th minute Honda then set up an unmissable chance for Gael Kakuta to seal the win and my first competitive win.

2 goals and 1 assist in a debut match for Keisuke and an eye on a Europa League spot, the team bus on the way out of the stadium was the nosiest place in Arnhem. I knew it would be hard to sleep when I got home. Suddenly Guram Kashia handed me his cellphone. I look at the number that is busy dialling and realise that all the players have gone quiet. "Hello?" a tired voice asks me, obviously confused as to why he is receiving a call at this late hour. "Yes, is this the Heracles manager Jan de Jonge?" I ask with feigned sincerity. "Yes it is, how may I help you?" he replies. With a mischievous grin and to the sound of laughter I tell him "Beware. We are Vitesse and we're going to tear you apart on Wednesday!"

The European Dream Begins

u0zQIvj.jpg

Before the season even started, there were people that had their doubts about us. People wanted to see us fail. We had sold our star players in had replaced them at a fraction of the cost. Journalists and pundits called us the pretenders and had said that our aspirations were those of children. Tonight we would prove them wrong again. We felt invincible. Then again, we had every right to feel that way.

After the Xazar match we had dispatched of Heracles (3-0), we drew away at Xazar to earn a Europa League Playoff tie against Lech and we had thoroughly defeated AZ and NAC 2-0 and 2-1 respectfully. The first leg of the Playoff would be on Lech's turf, but nerves had crept in on that cold evening. Complacency had grabbed the players by the short and curlies and we found ourselves 2-0 down at halftime. With some carefully chosen words I told the team to show no fear, to go out and grab an away goal before the end and we would let the Vitesse supporters show these Lech players no mercy in the return leg. The tie ended at 2-1 but we had the consolation of the away goal. Our attentions then turned to our biggest match yet. A visit to De Grolsch Veste, to face title contenders FC Twente. Coming off a defeat 3 days earlier, morale was low on that rainy night. It took a poster in the crowd to remind us just before kickoff that we were on top of log and undefeated in 3 league matches. That seemed to renew the confidence in the boys as Gael Kakuta, Davy Propper and Marko Vejinovic proved to an FC Twente crowd stunned to silence that we were in fact the title challengers and they were the pretenders. 3 weeks later after a goal scoring streak by Havenaar, Reis and Kakuta we had whipped Lech 4-1 at home and qualified for the Europa League, destroyed ADO Den Haag 3-1 and decimated SC Cambur 6-0 in successive order. And now we face the biggest challenge to come to the GelreDome in recent memory.

Even though it was raining and the thermometer had stopped at a chilly 11 degrees this Thursday night, I was feeling the heat. The rain had my hair plastered to my forehead and the sweat had my shirt sticking to my back. Sitting in the dugout, staring intently at the Sevilla players lined up, I thought I could hear the heartbeat of every single one of the 30000 fans. My throat tightened up as the rose to drown out the 4000 odd travelling fans. We had made it to the big time. Yet, I was as nervous as a virgin on prom night. It would take 8mins for the nervousness to be dispelled though, as Giorgi Chanturia picked up a pass from Havenaar, danced his way past two defenders and with all the composure in the world, neatly slotted the ball away to the left of the Sevilla goalkeeper. The roar from the crowd threatened to blow the heavy clouds above away. One second I was standing on the touchline and the next I on the ground under a heap of black and yellow. "Give me 3 more of those Giorgi!" I managed to shout as the players took up their places once more. In the 21st minute Cala silenced the crowd from a sweetly struck freekick and handed Sevilla an equaliser. I couldn't believe it, and neither could the crowd. The rest of the first half was watched in a medley of silence and soft singing. As we headed into the change room, and 12 year old boy hung over the railing and proclaimed "You can do it boys! The Spanish don't know real Totaalvoetbal!". Laughing, we headed into the changing room. "Well, that kid just told you what to do. You've all been in his position. Do you want to disappoint him?" It was the shortest team speech in my career thus far. But it worked. 1 minute after kickoff Gael Kakuta was tripped by Rakitic 30 yards out. As he lined up the freekick, I saw him look in the direction of that kid. And then the noise enveloped once again. He had rippled the net with a thunderbolt of a freekick that dipped and served with the accuracy of a Tomahawk missile. We held back waves of Sevilla's attacks after that goal, Velthuizen proving to be titan in goal. In this 86th minute, Chanturia broke free after another Sevilla corner and darted down the right flank. Suddenly, Havenaar ghosted free of his defender in the box and sent his header across the goal, wrong footing the keeper and into the back of the net...

3-1. We had defeated Sevilla and I think I went deaf for a few minutes. After the final whistle and the lap of honour for the incredible crowd, I had a surprise waiting for the players waiting in the changing room. That young man that had given us the boost was waiting for them to give them the post-match speech. In little over 2 months I had taken a team and created a family. As I watched that boy walking out the changing room in Theo Jansen's shirt, I heard him say "One day, I'll be scoring against Sevilla too dad!"

vZ1jjs7.jpg

Loving this so far, you really capture the passion and emotion very well.

Defeat

u0zQIvj.jpg

The excitement for tomorrow was building in the streets. Throngs of people were milling around the streets as if it was already matchday, many bursting into raucous singing that seemed a little too spontaneous. Well I was sitting in plain sight at my Braave, my favourite little restaurant in the city, with Merab Jordania. Due to our midweek 4-2 victory over Wigan, he had thought it better to deliver his monthly report to me after the big game. Sipping on a delicate red wine, he spied me eying the long legged blonde girl that had stooped over our table just a little too low to suggest that she only wanted an autograph. Chuckling he asked "Lyle, when was the last time you went on a date?" He went on slyly 'You work too hard my good man. You should take some time out and enjoy the city!". The look on my face was apparently very hilarious to him, as he roared with laughter, though I received a very devious grin from the girl. Suddenly Emma had written her number on a napkin and tucked it into my shirt pocket. With muttered promises of calling her soon, I looked over at Merab who had gone as red as his wine from laughter. "Very funny Merab, nut may we please get onto business? ****** ****, she can't be over 21!". Still chuckling and muttering to himself, he produced a letter that held the boardroom discussion. Finally he said "The board are pleased that we are undefeated in the 8 matches since the Lech match, the were excited that we had managed to teams with the reputation of Sevilla and Wigan 3-1 and 4-2 respectively, but they are most thrilled with the 4-1 hammering of those bastards at NEC. Honda is a great acquisition, Havenaar is performing out of his skill etc. Damnit Lyle, you have done a brilliant job so far. Can we put business to the side and enjoy this late afternoon sun? Ajax should be done with their training at the Gelredome by now." After a few more minor work related topics, we had indulged in the bottle of red. When the second was done, I told Merab that I would see him tomorrow before our match against Ajax.

0gPLJ6b.jpg

The sun poked through the open curtains all to early for my liking on Sunday morning. Those bottles of wine surely snuck up on me when I got home. After a shower and a quick perusal of yesterday's results I was on my way. FC Utrecht had lost and now sat 4 points behind us. the 3 mile walk to the Gelredome through the drizzle definitely helped clear up the headache that was sneaking in. I wondered if Emma would be at the match, but hastily dismissed her from my thoughts. I asked the team to be at the stadium early today so we could work on some last minute defensive tactics. Sitting in change room after the warm up, with the noise of the gathering crowd faintly echoing in around us, I studied the faces in front of me. "Boys, today is the day we prove that we aren't overachievers. A mid-table team boosted by an run of form destined to fail. Those guys across the hall think that the Eredivisie title is theirs because they're Ajax. We're here to show them otherwise. Go out out there, and prove a point! Show them why we are on top of the log! Make me proud! Make yourselves proud! Make Emma and the rest of the crowd proud!" I had not realised I mentioned Emma until Theo Jansen dutifully pointed it out to me and the rest of the player to a chorus of laughter. This was our match!

Rather surprisingly, we started off on the front foot. Rushing forward, Reis came close in nearly the first minute. Keeping the majority of the possession and the crowd urging us on, we had three successive shots parried by the Ajax goalkeeper Vermeer. It took Ajax 10 mins to get over the shock that we weren't going to bend over and let them have their way with us. Hutchinson, the strong lad on loan from Chelsea, tackled Victor Fischer and conceded a corner which was easily dealt with by Velthuizen. Then we went on the offensive again, retaining possession until the attempted to mount a counterattack. This is how it went through the entire first half. This is the totaalvoetbal I had been drilling into the players the past few weeks. Then the 62nd minute came, Fischer played a defence splitting one-two with Serero and got free in the box. Silence. With Velthuizen rushing out, Fischer played a delicate chip, watched the ball bounce over the flailing goalkeeper and into the net. Pandemonium erupted in the away stand. But I saw the players were not discouraged. Immediately after the restart, they attacked with a fury not seen in Champions League finals. Attack after attack was blocked, successive corners cleared and counterattacks by Ajax were extinguished at the halfway line. Vermeer and his defense would not let anything through.

3vPuKi0.jpg

The final whistled sounded and several players just collapsed from the exhaustion where they stood. There would not be any scathing post-match meeting from me. They played their hearts out tonight but were just unlucky. Even the crowd had not moved an inch, still chanting loudly as if we had triumphed. We would get them next time though. Our first league defeat let us 1 point clear of FC Utrecht and 2 ahead of Ajax. We would persevere. One thing about arnhem men, you can't keep us down for too long. As we walked down the tunnel with our heads held high, I caught the eye of someone familiar in the crowd. someone that had just blown a kiss at me. Someone whose number was written on a napkin that was still in my shirt pocket.