Super Wolves

Reaction score
Sunday, July 4th 2010

I was woken up by my wife getting ready to go to work. She always seemed so energetic and lively, she loved her job. For five days a week, I would sit in front of Sky Sports, and do nothing. I haven't felt happy enough since 2008 when I was managing Stafford (but even that ended badly).​

I had got up and made breakfast and was eating it with the TV on in the background. There was a breaking headline which caught my eye. 'Mick McCarthy leaves Wolves'. The presenter said they would have move information in a short while, but I couldn't wait to find out what had happened. I left my breakfast, and opened the laptop.​

BBC SPORT

McCarthy Leaves Wolves
Wolves Manager Mick McCarthy has left Wolves after he received news of an unknown illness.

The announcement was made at a news conference this morning. Wolves' Chief Executive, Jez Moxey, wished McCarthy 'good luck' in his 'battle' and also said the club would begin the search for a new manager 'right away'.​

In a statement on the club's website, McCarthy thanked the fans and wished the club 'all the best' for the forthcoming season.​

Although the club have not stated who they want to replace McCarthy, rumours are circulating that they are lining up either Aidy Boothroyd, or a shock move for ex-Wolves great, Steve Bull.​

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

I was saddened by the news as I thought Mick was a great manager. The last bit made me laugh, though! As if Wolves would consider me for the job! Some more in depth coverage had just come up on Sky Sports News, so I sat down to watch.​

Monday, July 5th 2010

I was woken up again today, but this time by the phone going off. My wife reached over and answered it, it was normally for her! But not this time, she handed me the receiver.
'Hello'
'Hi, Steve, it is Steve Morgan.'
'Oh, hi!'
'I'm sure you heard about Mick yesterday, and you know we are on the lookout for a new manager. On that front, I would like you to come down to the club and we can have a chat about it.'
'Yeah... That sounds... great! When do you want me?'
'Can you get here in an hour?'
'Yes, I'll be there!'​

I was as excited as a hen on a hot griddle! I dashed over to the wardrobe and searched for my suit, not worn in 2 years!​

'Who was that honey?' my wife asked
'Steve Morgan, I've got an interview at the club!'​

It was only a short drive, but I tried to keep my feet on the ground. It was only an interview after all. They were bound to have someone else already lined up. I approached the stadium, the feeling of excitement ran through me again. I went around to the office side of the ground, and steadied myself.​

After sitting in the waiting room for only 3 minutes, I was called into Steve Morgan's office.​

'Hi Steve, sit down. Well, I'm going to get straight to the point. Why should you be hired as manager of this football club?'
(I felt very underprepared for this, I was nervous, but I tried not to let it show.) 'I know what everybody wants from a football club, specifically from this one. I was a player here, so I know what players want, I have been a fan for 25 years, so I know what the fans want and I know that I can get it. I have many footballing contacts (agents and the like) who I can call upon to keep this club in the Premiership, and then build on that in future seasons.'​

'Well that does it for me! Steve, I'm offering you the job!'​

I didn't think it would be that quick or easy! I had no hesitation in signing the contract; a two year deal, worth £16,250.​

Tomorrow, the hard work really starts!​

Last edited: