TomD2286

Reaction score
The Return:
So its the start off December 2014 and Aston Villa are found in 16th position and after weeks with Randy Lerner for takeover talks Businessman Grahem Taylor buys the club. Promising to improve the clubs finances and hopefully see the club rise up the table again.

The first piece of action taken by the new Owner is too sack Paul Lambert and bring in a fresh new face to make the club a top 6 club again. The decision was made that the club wanted past legend of the club to take over. Who knew the club inside out and would have the support of the fans. With so many top recent legends of the club around: Dion Dublin, Dwight Yorke, Ian Taylor, Gareth Southgate, Paul Mcgrath, Paul Merson and Steve Staunton being a few of past Villa Heroes. The fans are aksing who could it be???

BREAKING NEWS
Villa Owner is delighted too announce the clubs new manager. Who was a fantastic captain during his time at the club. While playing 101 games and scoring 18 goals during his four years at the club. That man is the one and only Paul Merson who is looking forward to getting back into management after time away being a pundit on Soccer Saturday.

The aim is to bring success to the club once again. With the target for this season to finish mid/top table. The target will be made harder. With the squad missing two key players who were both sold cheaply, with Vlaar sold to Monaco for 2.8m and Delph sold to Southampton for 4.2m. Merson is shocked that two kep players were sold so easily, his comeback maybe made harder without the skills of these two.

With a home game against Newcastle being the first match of the Merson Era. Is a good way to start off with Newcastle on one place ahead in 15th position, hopefully can take advantage of there poor form.

Hope u enjoy this first post, next one will detail the squad and tactics and of course results in december and january.

Gone with Merson, a bit different but good luck!!! lol

Thanks mate, will do a update soon. Merson is a villa legend

So heres the squad left by Lambert for me too take over from.
Goalkeepers
Guzman, Steer and Given
Summary: Happy with this position to start off with. As Guzman is a top keeper and Steer could be a decent backup. Given is one of the players not suited for the future of the club.

Defenders
Hutton, Baker, Okora, Senderos, Lowton, Mulgrew and Cissokho
Summary: Need to seriously strengthen this position. Okora is the leader at the back. Mulgrew is out for 5/6 months which is another blow.

Midfield
Cleverley, Cole, Bacuna, Westwood, N'Zogbia, Richardson, Sanchez, Herd, Grealish
Summary: Aim to try and buy Cleverley in January window. There are also blessed with several young talented midfielders but Cole and Richardson may go at the end of the season.

Forwards
Benteke, Kozak, Weimann and Agbonlahor
Summary: Benteke and Weimann are decent strikers and Kozak and Gabby are both okay backups. Need another goalscorer at somepoint.

Tactic
Think of starting with what may seem like a strange tactic of 4-1-2-1-2. With the prefered lineup to be: Guzman, Lowton, Cissokho, Baker, Okora, Sanchez, Cleverley, Westwood, Grealish, Weinmann and Benteke. Looking to use Grealish as my playmaker for years to come.

Last edited:
So only played two games so far and disappointed to only get a point out of them. Lost 2-0 at home to Newcastle. De jong was a beast against us and partly blame myself as the 4-1-2-1-2 tactic just didnt work at all. So my game against Burnley(Away), we used a 4-1-2-2-1 (wingers). Which seemed work really well for 82mins but a bad defensive error let in Ings to score a equaliser. Should have had more than 1 goal before then though but still working this new tactic.

Other news is that sadly Benteke has asked for a move away from the club with Liverpool are heavily interested in him. If i can get 20-25mil for him then off he will go. As i can work some magic in the Jan transfer window. Plus at the moment Tom Cleverley wants 82k a week to join permantly do trying to get him down as he is Key player for the club

So managed to battle into the start of the January transfer window. It will be a make or break window for me. With a few fresh faces needed to put my own stamp on the club. Two major decisions have been made for players departing. Benteke has had a bid accepted for 22.5 mil from Spurs and Cleverley is having his loan cut short. So opens up both a increase in budget and wages.

December went as well as i hoped with games against Southampton, Liverpool, Chelsea and Palace. We got 4 points out of them. No surprise that Chelsea beat me 3-0 but were very unlucky to not get a poimt against Liverpool. Each game the team worked hard til the end with a point earned against southampton in the last 10 mins and a winner against palace in the last 5 mins. Which have moved me up to 15th in the table slowly but surely. Past players have come out and announced " That Merson is the right person to improve the club" which is pleasing to see after some rival managers have called for me to be sacked. Which is unfair considering 1 win, 2 draws and 3 losses isnt to worst considering the teams played.

Two players have been brought in all ready with Joel Obi (1.1mil) and M'Baye Niang (Loan- option to buy 7mil). Who give me more depth in centre mid and a option for benteke replacement
Ps i will do more depth on matches at the end of the Jan transfer window

Last edited:
I like the signing of joel obi an underrated player in the game for me!

So even though the Jan Window isnt finished yet i am doing this update as i am happy with my completed deals and dont think anymore will be done. So here they are:
Departures:
Bent( Released)
Benteke ( 21.5 mil -Spurs)

Players In
M'Baye Niang (Loan)
Joel Obi (1.1 mil)
Castaginos ( 6mil)
Gouweleeuw(7mil)
Fischer(13mil)

Delighted with the players who have come into the club all young and talented options for the squad. With attacking options looking alot better with Castaignos and Fischer for the fans too look forward too. Plus Jeffrey Gouweleeuw looks like a fantastic defender to partner Okora in defense.

Ah a fellow Villan? :D
I've taken up the Villa challenge as well, though I started in June so I had the first transfer window to improve the squad. I'm using a 4-3-3 as well, but with Gabby playing off Weimann as a Defensive Forward rather than as an Inside Forward. Thought of setting up a 4-1-2-1-2 as well but Hutton and Cissokho don't seem to be particularly great wing backs.

All the best!

Thanks mate, good luck to u too. I have finished my first season now and will do update on how i did this evening and how it looks like a fresh new squad too lamberts old one. Will do more details on everything for my new season too. Hope people are interested in this story

Some great transfers there! even though Benteke is a top player, the money you made as improved your team a lot! be interesting to see how you done first season but just a hint mate, maybe use screenshots and writing instead of all writing

You finished a season in 3 days? Wow. Yeah do include some screenies.
I'm inspired to craft a story thread as well.

Thanks guys, having issues with screenshots at the moment but hopefully a friend can have a look at my laptop soon. Just about to do a update too

So in my second season and just about to start my first match of pre season. Delighted too announce that we are very happy to be finished in the transfer window already. It helps alot with the club having been taken over in the first season plus finishing 8th after taking over the club when they were in 16th position.

Chairman Taylor wants us still to finish in a mid table finish but aim to finish in a Euro League spot. Taylor has given us 33.5mil transfer budget. Which is amazing to build a squad which is young and hungry for success. A few fring players were shipped out to make way. With three players all surprisingly going to the same club in Watford. Last seasons vice captain also left in the form of Gabby Agbonlahor. Both fans and players didnt mind that he was being sold and all agreed that it was the right step going forward.
Departures
Given (Retired)
N'Zogbia( 1.4m Watford)
Richardson (1.0m- Watford)
Agbonalhor (5.5m - Watford)
Bennett (1.5m Leicester)
Senderos ( 600k Rubin)

So this is my list of new players which will be exciting the fans this season.
Dele Aĺli (5mil)
Maher(8.5mil)
Veltman(7.5mil)
Bruma(6.5mil)
Eyserric(7mil)
Henrikssen(8mil)
Batshusyi (11.5mil)
All transfers totals include money owed after 48 months so not up front transfer fee was more than 5mil. Plus there was a few extra bonuses thrown in as well. Overall delighted with my new additions and the fans will be excited too see them all this season

some nice business and sounds like you had a great season!

Thanks mate im delighted with my squad now should bring me alot of success.