The Return of Aitor Herrera - An Athletic Bilbao Story

1607449748113.png

Txetxu Rojo
1965-82
Forward
541 apps, 67 goals

Txetxu spent his entire career with Athletic and also managed the club twice so is a club legend. He didnt win any trophies while playing for Athletic despite having such a long career although he did win 18 caps for Spain, scoring 3 goals.

--

SEPTEMBER

sociedad.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Rodrigues), Guevara, Raul Garcia*, I.Williams (N.Williams), Muniain (Unai Lopez), Cordoba, Villalibre

Derby day joy for us as we beat Real Sociedad 3-1. Villalibre netted his first goals of the season with his 2nd being a 25 yard lob over their keeper and Cordoba netted for the 3rd game running as we easily beat our fiercest rivals. ****** off that we conceded an injury time goal though.

--

UEFA Champions League Group A
inter.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Rodrigues, Guevara, Raul Garcia (Vencedor), I.Williams, Muniain (Unai Lopez), Cordoba, Villalibre (N.Williams)

We returned to European football and got taught a lesson here. We deserved a point but Inter scored 2 first half goals and sat back and we couldnt find a way past them. Frustrating but this was always going to be a tough fixture for us.

--

atletico.png

Lineup - Simon*, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Rodrigues, Guevara, Raul Garcia, I.Williams (N.Williams), Muniain, Cordoba, Villalibre

An astounding result and performance. We were truly terrific and thumped Atletico Madrid who only lost 1 league game last season and finished 17pts ahead of us. Kevin Rodrigues finished from a narrow angle to put us ahead in the first half and we were clinging on but when Villalibre broke away to score it was game over and Koke headed into his own goal to gift us a 3rd.

--

alaves.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (Areso), Yeray, Martinez, Rodrigues, Guevara, Raul Garcia (Sancet), I.Williams, Muniain, Cordoba (Berenguer), Villalibre

We maintain our 100% start to the season with a narrow victory over Alaves. Villalibre could have had a hat-trick as he had an early goal disallowed and a late penalty saved.

--

espanyol.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Rodrigues (Berenguer), Guevara, Raul Garcia*, I.Williams (N.Williams), Muniain (Sancet), Cordoba, Villalibre

Another victory and another clean sheet!!! Villalibre scored another 2 goals as he has started the season on fire and Ander Capa scored with a fine individual effort. Unfortunately for us Villalibre went off injured in the last minute and he is out for 3-4 weeks.

--

ajax.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Martinez, Rodrigues (Yuri), Guevara, Raul Garcia (Sancet), I.Williams, Muniain, Cordoba, N.Williams (Serrano)

Another stupendous result as we thrash Ajax. My big dilemma here was who to start up front and I put faith in young Nico Williams and he duly put us ahead in the 1st minute. His brother then had us 2 up at half time and the 2nd half was a procession. Capa amazingly scored 2 terrific goals and the only downside was the last minute goal conceded.

--

SUMMARY

Well its fair to say that this month was well above expectations!!!! On paper we had some tough games with a derby against Real Sociedad, Atletico Madrid away and Inter and Ajax in the Champions League with a couple of other matches to boot. In the end we won all but one very convincingly. In the league we won all 4 matches - Sociedad were beaten 3-1 before we rocked up to play Atletico Madrid and we beat them 3-0. To follow that up we defeated Alaves and Espanyol which means we top the league with 6 wins out of 6, with 5 clean sheets and our next match is away to Valencia who also have a perfect start to the league campaign.

In the Champions League we were beaten 2-0 away against Inter Milan which was a tad harsh but then we thumped Ajax 5-1 in a terrific performance so that has us in good stead to qualify.

Looking at the league table the big 3 are all struggling so its vital that we take advantage of this but I fully expect Real Madrid especially to come back to form. Barcelona? Maybe not.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ASIER VILLALIBRE
villalibre.png

--

LA LIGA
SEPT.png

1607458474495.png

Joseba Etxeberria
1995-2010
Forward
514 apps, 110 goals

Etxeberria joined controversially as an 18y/o from Real Sociedad for £2.5m and spent the rest of his career at Athletic. No trophies were won by Athletic but he did become a club legend and even played his last season for free as a gesture back to the club. He won 53 caps for Spain, scoring 12 goals and is currently manager of Athletic's B team as he is on this save!

--

OCTOBER

valencia.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Rodrigues (Yuri), Guevara, Raul Garcia (Sancet), I.Williams (Serrano), Muniain, Cordoba*, N.Williams

This was a thrilling match against 2 sides with a 100% record and it was us who came out on top as yet again we excel away from home. The Williams' brothers were at it again as Nico scored twice and Inaki once while Cordoba added another. They had a goal disallowed and a missed penalty in the last 10min as well as a goal so it was a crazy end to the match.

--

leganes.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray*, Martinez, Rodrigues, Guevara (Unai Lopez), Sancet, I.Williams (Vencedor), Muniain, Cordoba, N.Williams (Serrano)

A disappointing way to end our perfect start to the league season. We were sloppy in front of goal but took the lead when Yeray scored however they got a penalty which was converted and we had to settle for a draw.

--

dinamo.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez (Nunez), Yuri (Rodrigues), Guevara, Sancet, I.Williams*, Muniain, Cordoba (Berenguer), N.Williams

The Williams brothers were on the scoresheet here as we defeat Dinamo but the story here was about their goal. Unai Simon collected the ball, cleared the box and then turned round and rolled it into our goal from 15 yards!!!! ******* ridiculous!!!!

--

betis.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Guevara, Sancet (Unai Lopez), Muniain (Morcillo), Raul Garcia, Cordoba, N.Williams (Villalibre)

Despite dropping 2pts I cannot fault my players here as they played brilliantly and on another day could have scored 4 or 5. Nico Williams scored to show that he doesnt need his big brother to hold his hand while Villalibre returned from injury and Muniain was awful as he has been all season so far tbh.

--

mallorca.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Guevara, Sancet, Muniain (Morcillo), Raul Garcia, Cordoba (Berenguer), N.Williams (Villalibre)

Now this draw is not good enough. I expect much better, especially at home, against a struggling newly promoted side. Very poor.

--

getafe.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez (Nunez), Yuri, Guevara, Sancet (Unai Lopez), Muniain*, Raul Garcia (N.Williams), Cordoba, Villalibre

Now thats much better!!! Iker Muniain finally put in a performance as he scored an amazing hat-trick including a rocket from 30 yards into the top corner. I restored Villalibre to the starting lineup and he notched to.

--

SUMMARY

Despite being unbeaten this month and opening up a 5pt gap at the top of the league this month could definitely have been better. We drew 3 games in a row in the league which could so easily have been 3 wins and that leaves a slight bitter taste in the month. Having said that the fact we were unbeaten with some of the injuries we had is testament to how my players performed. Nico Williams has burst onto the scene and has shown that he can be relied upon to perform while Raul Garcia is having an Indian summer and Yeray is playing out of his skin.

Lets hope our form continues into next month!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
YERAY
yeray.png

--

LA LIGA
OCT.png

1607465373689.png

Andoni Iraola
2003-15
Defender
510 apps, 38 goals

Iraola spent almost his entire career with Athletic before ending his career in the USA with New York City. The right back was part of the wonderful side led by Marcelo Bielsa who came runners-up in the Europa League. He didnt win a trophy with the club but played 7 times for Spain and also represented the Basque national side.

--

NOVEMBER

zagreb.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez*, Yuri, Guevara, Sancet (Unai Lopez), Muniain (Morcillo), Raul Garcia (Berenguer), Cordoba, Villalibre

Asier Villalibre's penalty was enough for us to win the match and secure qualification into the knockout stages. I now have to decide whether to try and top the group or rest my players and accept 2nd place.

--

granada.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Nolaskoain, Yuri (Rodrigues), Guevara, Sancet, I.Williams*, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Berenguer), Villalibre (N.Williams)

I am getting quite excited about my side as we rack up 5 more goals with Inaki Williams helping himself with a hat-trick and Berenguer coming off the bench to get 2. We were on top form here and if we continue like this there will be no stopping us.

--

villarreal.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez (Nolaskoain), Yuri, Guevara, Sancet, I.Williams (Berenguer), Raul Garcia, Muniain*, Villalibre (N.Williams)

I am happy with this win as Villarreal defeated us twice last year but we gained revenge here. Muniain scored the only goal of the game and he also had a goal disallowed as did Ander Capa so it could have been another comfortable victory.

--

milan.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Nolaskoain, Martinez, Yuri, Guevara, Sancet*, I.Williams, Raul Garcia (Unai Lopez), Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre (N.Williams)

What a win!!!! We take charge of the group after this win and it is a great win as in a nervy match we won it with a stoppage time penalty from Unai Lopez. What made the victory even more special was the fact that we played the last 25 men as I had made a triple substitution and then Yuri went off injured.

--

madid.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Martinez, Rodrigues, Guevara, Sancet (Vencedor), I.Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre (N.Williams)

******* GET IN THERE!!!!!

We beat Real Madrid (they beat us in all 4 games last season) to open up a 8pt lead at the top of the table and whats more we never really looked like losing. I will say it now - we are gunning for the title!!!!!!

--

SUMMARY

This season keeps on getting better and better as my players refuse to get beaten! That was shown in our match against Inter Milan when despite being down to 10 men we won the match in stoppage time. In the league we are amazingly still unbeaten and we are on fire. We hit 5 past Granada, edged out Villarreal before beating Real Madrid 2-0 with a great performance.

These results leave us top of the league with an 8pt advantage but with the way how the team is playing and with the lead that we have got I now have to admit and focus on a title challenge - the heat is on!!!

More good news - Inaki Williams and Yeray signed new long term contracts to extend their stay at the club.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
INAKI WILLIAMS
williams.png

--

LA LIGA
NOV.png

How are you finding managing in Spain this time around? I've seen a few posts on the SI forums about B teams being in the same league as senior teams, as well as promotion from the 3rd tier being a bit broken but I suppose that doesn't really impact you here?

How are you finding managing in Spain this time around? I've seen a few posts on the SI forums about B teams being in the same league as senior teams, as well as promotion from the 3rd tier being a bit broken but I suppose that doesn't really impact you here?

Its fine so far. No issues regarding my B team getting promoted although I did think I saw 3 teams say they got promoted when they were bottom of the promotion group.

If my B team gets promoted from the 2nd tier (in a promotion slot just now) then it is save over. Cant have that!!!!!!!

1607756970212.png

Markel Susaeta
2007-19
Midfielder
507 apps, 56 goals

Susaeta was a key part of the Bielsa side that got to the Europa League final and he actually won a trophy with the club albeit the Supercopa. THe right winger left the club to join Gamba Osaka in Japan and he currently plays in Australia. He won 1 cap for Spain and scored while he has represented the Basque Country 7 times.

--

DECEMBER

barcelona.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Nolaskoain (Manolo), Rodrigues, Guevara, Sancet, I.Williams, Raul Garcia (Unai Lopez), Muniain, Villalibre (N.Williams)

Meh. Our 14 game unbeaten start to the season is over as Barcelona do a number on us here. They blew us away in the first half in truth and we were lucky to keep it down to a respectable scoreline in all honesty. Manolo came off the bench to make his debut.

--

levante.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Rodrigues, Guevara (Vencedor), Sancet*, I.Williams, Raul Garcia (Unai Lopez), Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre

We get back to winning ways here by beating Levante. Oihan Sancet has had a quiet start to the season but he shone here with a goal and the MOM award.

--

AJAX.png

Lineup
- Simon*, Capa (Areso), Nolaskoain, San Vicente, Berenguer, Guevara (Vencedor), Sancet, Morcillo, Unai Lopez (Serrano), Muniain, Villalibre

We finish off the group stage with a thrilling victory over Ajax. Despite putting out an understrength side my players battled hard and scored 3 goals albeit from 2 of my first picks. San Vicente made his debut here coming out of nowhere to do so but I was struggling for CBs.

This result means we actually win the group!
GROUP.png

--

sevilla.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Rodrigues, Vencedor, Sancet, I.Williams (N.Williams), Unai Lopez (Nolaskoain), Muniain, Villalibre (Serrano)

Meh. Just one of those days. We fell behind and then went a man down so the game was almost over before it had begun - a sad way to end the calendar year.

--

SUMMARY

Not the greatest of months as our 8pt lead at the top of the table has now been cut down to 2pts thanks to defeats against Barcelona and Sevilla. A blip in form was always going to come however so lets hope we kick on next month when the fixture list is a tad kinder although with so many games coming in such a short space of time it will be tricky.

Our reward for winning our Champions League group is a tie against Borussia Dortmund which will be interesting. I fancy our chances against them but at the same time they should beat us given their playing squad so we shall see what that brings.

Not much planned for the upcoming January window i'm afraid.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
OIHAN SANCET
SANCET.png

--

LA LIGA

DEC.png

1607758378001.png

Agustin Gainza
1940-59
Forward
493 apps, 152 goals

Nicknamed "Piru", Gainza made his debut as a 16y/o and spent his entire career with Athletic and even managed them for a couple of years. He won 7 Spanish Cups as a player and also 1 as a manager!!! He won 33 caps for Spain and scored 10 goals.

--

JANUARY

huesca.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray*, Nolaskoain, Yuri (Rodrigues), Guevara, Sancet, I.Williams, Unai Lopez (Raul Garcia), Muniain, Villalibre (N.Williams)

We werent at the races here and were lucky to win tbh. We took the lead when their keeper fumbled a weak Muniain header into his own goal and then in stoppage time Inaki Williams had a shot that deflected in. A fortunate win but one I will gladly accept!

--

Supercopa Semi-Final
valencia.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Rodrigues, Guevara (Vencedor), Sancet, I.Williams*, Unai Lopez (Raul Garcia), Muniain, Villalibre

This was a thrilling match as we reach the final. We surged into a 2 goal lead with 2 goals in the opening 5min and also had a goal disallowed a few minutes later but even though they pulled a goal back a stunning effort from Ander Capa had us 3-1 up at the break. In the end we traded goals in the 2nd half although they did miss a load of chances and it could so easily have been 6-6.

--

Supercopa Final
atletico.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray*, Martinez, Yuri (Rodrigues), Guevara, Sancet, I.Williams, Raul Garcia (Unai Lopez), Muniain, Villalibre (N.Williams)

WE WIN THE SUPERCOPA!!!!!

My first trophy as manager is secured as we deservedly beat Atletico Madrid. They had a few chances but we were the better side and finally got our rewards when Unai Lopez scored a 25 yard screamer to put us ahead with a minute to go. Nico Williams sealed it in stoppage time and the trophy was ours!

--

elche.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Nunez, Yuri, Guevara, Sancet (Vencedor), I.Williams (N.Williams), Raul Garcia (Cordoba), Muniain*, Villalibre

A comfortable victory. Iker Muniain had the game won in the opening 20min with 2 great finishes and Cordoba added the 3rd in stoppage time. They had a goal disallowed but we played them off the park and could have scored 6 or 7.

--

Copa del Rey 3rd Round
orihuela.png

Lineup
- Simon, Areso, Nunez, Mosquera, Rodrigues (Montanana), Vencedor, Nolaskoain, Morcillo*, Unai Lopez (Zarraga), Cordoba (Serrano), N.Williams

My backups came out to play and they thumped Orihuela to see us through. Montanana, Mosquera and Zarraga made their debuts so it was a good day except for the fact that we were 5 up at half-time and couldnt score in the 2nd half against 10 men. Cordoba went off injured and will be out for a few weeks.

--

celta.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Guevara, Sancet (Vencedor), I.Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Morcillo), Villalibre (N.Williams)

This was a tough match. We were ahead going into the final 20min and then all **** broke loose. They went 2-1 up with 2 quickfire goals but we equalised within a minute of them taking the lead fortunately through Nico Williams. Villalibre has started the last 9 league games and not scored so he may get dropped now. Muniain got injured and is out for a month which is a big blow with Cordoba also being out.

--

valladolid.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Guevara, Sancet (Adrian), I.Williams*, Raul Garcia, Serrano (Morcillo), N.Williams (Villalibre)

Inaki Williams great hat-trick and a powerful finish from Raul Garcia saw us romp to victory over the bottom side Valladolid. I dropped Villalibre but Nico Williams didnt fare much better tbh. My recent signing, Adrian, came off the bench to make his debut to become the clubs youngest ever player (16 years and 101 days) while Serrano started on the LW.

--

Copa del Rey 4th Round
barakaldo.png

Lineup
- Simon, Areso, Nunez, Nolaskoain, Rodrigues (Montanana), Vencedor (Uriarte), Unai Lopez*, Morcillo, Adrian, Serrano, N.Williams (Artola)

We went up against one of our feeder sides and they didnt put up much of a fight. We didnt embarrass them though.

--

sociedad.png

Lineup
- Simon*, Capa, Yeray, Nunez, Yuri, Guevara, Sancet, I.Williams, Raul Garcia (Unai Lopez), Serrano (Morcillo), Villalibre

Fantastic. This is the first of a double header against our great rivals and we win the 1st match thanks to Sancet and Villalibre. Villalibre responding to getting dropped by scoring a goal is particularly pleasing.

--

SUMMARY

We have started 2022 in fine fashion as we went the entire month - 9 games - unbeaten. In the league we maintained our 2pt lead at the top of the table despite drawing with Celta Vigo as we won comfortably in our other 4 matches with a great 2-0 win in the Vasco derby in our last match being the highlight.

We will play Sociedad again in our next match as we have been drawn against each other in the Copa del Rey as we knocked out lower league sides to progress. Our cup exploits didnt end there as we claimed the Supercopa to give me my first trophy. We defeated Valencia 4-2 in the semis before 2 goals right at the death gave us the trophy against Atletico Madrid.

Regarding the transfer window I allowed Berenguer to leave on loan and lo and behold Cordoba and Muniain duly got injured so he would have got a run in the side! I loaned out a few youngsters while I did sign 1 player.

I spotted this lad, Adrian, at Sevilla and couldnt get him on trial or loan to give him Basque nationality easily and with only £3m to spend I couldnt afford him so I asked the board and they agreed to pump in the £12.5m required to meet his release clause!!!! Spending that much money on a 16y/o is a bit of a risk but I need a prospect in the AMC position and I think he will be a real star. He goes straight into my first team squad and should learn off Raul Garcia who he is due to replace!
ADRIAN.png

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
YERAY
yeray.png

--

LA LIGA
JAN.png

1607773185184.png

Jose Maria Orue
1950-68
Defender
480 apps, 1 goal

Orue spent his entire career with Athletic and won 1 League title and 3 Copa del Reys as well as earning 3 caps for Spain. He only scored 1 goal for the club and was part of the side that was nicknamed "the 11 villagers"

--

FEBRUARY

Copa del Rey Semi-Final
2-3.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Guevara (Vencedor), Sancet, I.Williams, Raul Garcia, Serrano (Morcillo), Villalibre (N.Williams)

I AM ABSOLUTELY RAGING!!!!!

To be 2up at half-time against your biggest rivals and end up losing 3-2 to get knocked out of the cup is not on. The thing is we were in control of the game apart from a crazy 14min spell and even after that we hit the woodwork a couple of times in trying to equalise. Gutted.

--

alaves.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Rodrigues), Unai Lopez, Sancet (Adrian), I.Williams, Raul Garcia, Serrano (Morcillo), Villalibre

Another horror result as we fail to beat struggling Alaves. We got off to the perfect start with an early penalty but then we wasted chance after chance and were made to pay when Enrich equalised with their only shot on goal. Raul Garcia then had a goal disallowed and we are left rueing all the missed chances.

--

1-2.png

Lineup - Ivan Martinez, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Guevara (Unai Lopez), Sancet, I.Williams, Raul Garcia (Adrian), Serrano (Cordoba), Villalibre

AAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Once again we fail to win despite being the better side. We took the lead and were in control but they scored twice against the run of play to get the win and Yeray getting sent-off just added to our woes. Ivan Martinez made his debut in goal as Unai Simon was ill.

--

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 1st Leg
dortmund.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Guevara, Sancet, I.Williams, Raul Garcia (Adrian), Serrano (Cordoba), Villalibre (N.Williams)

We go 4 games without a win as our form has just plummeted. We didnt deserve anything out of this match and have it all to do in the 2nd leg now.

--

espanyol.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Nunez, Martinez, Yuri (Rodrigues), Guevara, Sancet, I.Williams*, Raul Garcia (Adrian), Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre

We get back to winning ways but we didnt make it easy for ourselves as we came close to throwing away a 3 goal lead. Inaki Williams with a double and Villalibre's goal (he has scored in his last 4 league games) had us on easy street but they pulled 2 goals back and we just managed to hold on. We welcomed back Iker Muniain into the side from injury which is a boost.

--

1-1.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray*, Martinez, Yuri, Guevara, Sancet (Unai Lopez), I.Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre (N.Williams)

Meh. I suppose with regards to our current form this is a decent point however if we are to win the title we need to take advantage of our home matches. Having said that if we had lost they would only have been 2pts behind us!

--

SUMMARY

A horrific month. We were terrible and only won one of 6 matches yet somehow we still top the table. The worst result was our defeat to Real Sociedad in the Copa del Rey as we threw away a 2 goal lead to exit the competition. Our league form offered little respite as we drew with Alaves and Valencia and lost to Atletico Madrid with a win away to Espanyol offering the only crumb of comfort.

We are only ahead due to the head to head record as Real Madrid struggled this month also (they did beat Barcelona 5-0 mind you) and Valencia are also chasing us down so its going to be close!!!

In the Champions League we lost 1-0 away to Dortmund but have a chance to put things right in the 2nd leg at home.

Lets hope next month is better and we get a world superstar in the youth intake!!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ASIER VILLALIBRE

VILLALIBRE.png

--

LA LIGA
FEB.png

1607779706709.png

Aitor Larrazabal
1990-2004
Defender
445 apps, 43 goals

Larrazabal spent his entire career with Athletic however the left back didnt win a trophy. He didnt win any Spain caps either although he did represent the Basque Country. His son, Gaizka, went on to play for Athletic.

--

MARCH

betis.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Guevara, Sancet (Adrian), I.Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre (N.Williams)

FOR **** SAKE!!!!!!!!

We battered Betis here and should have won on statistics but more so than that we should have won when Guevara volleyed in from 25 yards with only stoppage time remaining but we still let them equalise and its now just 1 win in 6 league games.

--

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 2nd Leg
dortmund.png

Lineup
- Ivan Martinez, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Rodrigues), Unai Lopez, Sancet (Vencedor), I.Williams, Raul Garcia*, Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre

A fantastic result. I can almost accept the previous poor results to get this one good one which is much needed. We got off to a perfect start when Villalibre pounced in the 1st minute and he put us ahead on aggregate with a goal early on in the 2nd half. Bellingham had a goal disallowed for them which would have changed things however Raul Garcia scored late on and we are through 3-1 on aggregate.

--

leganes.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Martinez (Nunez), Yuri, Guevara, Sancet, I.Williams, Raul Garcia (Adrian), Muniain (Serrano), Villalibre

Are we back on track? Thats 2 decent performances in a row now as we look to forget our recent poor form. Yuri put us in front with a stunning strike for his 1st of the season and although we were pegged back Villalibre converted a penalty to put us back in front and Inaki Williams sealed it late on.

--

mallorca.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Guevara, Sancet (Adrian), I.Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre (N.Williams)

Very nice. Ander Capa scored a double from right back for the 2nd time this season and he is on a fine run of form. He now has 7 goals for the season!!! I am also pleased that we picked up our first clean sheet in the league for a while.

--

getafe.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Rodrigues), Guevara (Unai Lopez), Sancet, I.Williams (N.Williams), Raul Garcia, Muniain, Villalibre*

We all of a sudden have hit top form again as we put Getafe to the sword. Despite falling behind we smashed 4 goals past them thanks to a hat-trick from Asier Villalibre.

--

SUMMARY

March was much better for us. Although we dropped points annoyingly in our fast match as we drew with Betis but then we put in 4 really strong performances. Dortmund were beaten 3-0 to see us progress in the Champions League before we put 3 past Leganes and Mallorca and then 4 past Getafe. We end the month still top of the league with 8 games to go however next month we have an incredibly hard fixture list.

In the Champions League we have drawn against Real Madrid and lo and behold our league match is sandwiched in between the 2 legs so we have a triple header against them that could define our season.

As for the youth intake there was 1 player who caught my eye. Nobody outstanding but a decent prospect nonetheless.
lopez.png

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ANDER CAPA
capa.png

--

LA LIGA
march.png

1607799300455.png

Canito
1948-63
Defender
435 apps, 6 goals

Winner of 1 league title and 4 Copa del Reys, Canito almost spent his entire career with Athletic as when he left he joined Alaves but only played 1 match.He won 1 cap for Spain.

--

APRIL

granada.png

Lineup
- Simon, Areso (Nunez), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Guevara, Sancet, Morcillo (N.Williams), Raul Garcia (Adrian), Muniain, Villalibre*

Villalibre gets another hat-trick as he does so for the 2nd game running!!!! His first was a penalty but the other 2 were things of beauty. The 2nd was finishing off a beautiful team move and for the 3rd he latched onto an Adrian pass before chipping the keeper.

--

UEFA Champions League Quarter-Final 1st Leg
madrid.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Guevara, Sancet (Unai Lopez), I.Williams, Raul Garcia (Adrian), Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre

A fantastic victory. We just edged it thanks to a solo goal from Inaki Williams and also a few late saves from Unai Simon. To take an advantage and a clean sheet into the 2nd leg is huge but I ask the question....... Would I rather have won the league match coming up next?

--

real.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa (Nolaskoain), Yeray, Nunez, Yuri, Vencedor, Sancet, I.Williams (Morcillo), Unai Lopez, Muniain, N.Williams (Raul Garcia)

We were so close to getting a tremendous draw as we went to the Bernabeu missing the likes of Martinez, Guevara and Villalibre plus Raul Garcia wasnt fit enough to start. We hit the woodwork a couple of times but they won it when Gabriel Barbosa broke free to score. We are now 3pts behind to Real but crucially we do have the advantage of the head to head record.

--

UEFA Champions League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg
0-0.png

Lineup
- Simon, Nunez, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Rodrigues), Guevara, Sancet, I.Williams, Raul Garcia (Adrian), Muniain, N.Williams (Villalibre)

I am so proud of my players. Somehow we got a 0-0 draw to send us through despite not having a shot on goal, having a man sent-off and they even had a stoppage time goal disallowed!!!!! Quite remarkable!!!

We will play Valencia in the semis - a decent draw!!!!!

--

villarreal.png

Lineup - Simon, Nunez, Yeray, Martinez (Nolaskoain), Yuri, Guevara, Sancet*, I.Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre (N.Williams)

We move 1pt behind Real Madrid with this win (Real Madrid drew). Muniain and Villalibre put us 2up early on and they pulled a goal back almost immediately but we managed to see the game out for the win.

--

barcelona.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Guevara, Sancet (Unai Lopez), I.Williams (N.Williams), Raul Garcia (Adrian), Muniain, Villalibre

A performance of champions - but will we be champions? Ander Capa was outstanding again as he put us in front and caused Todibo to score an own goal for our 2nd. Nico Williams came off the bench to replace his brother on the RW and scored the 3rd and although they pulled a goal back late on it didnt taint a glorious day.

--

UEFA Champions League Semi-Final 1st Round
valencia.png

Lineup
- Simon*, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Guevara, Sancet, I.Williams (N.Williams), Raul Garcia (Adrian), Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre

We have 1 foot in the final after beating Valencia here. They peppered our goal in truth as shown by the fact that my keeper, Unai Simon, got the MOM award while Asier Villalibre who scored both our goals misses out!

--

levante.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Guevara (Vencedor), Sancet*, I.Williams, Unai Lopez (Adrian), Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre

We surged into a 3 goal lead early on here and that killed this game off although they did pull 2 goals back. Inaki Williams also had a goal disallowed but this win secures us Champions League qualificiation and I have been given an initial budget of £8.5m for next season.

--

SUMMARY

This was a huge month which sets us up for a potentially even bigger month in the next update. We had a horrendous fixture list so to come out of the month with only 1 defeat is quite remarkable however that 1 defeat may have cost us the league title.

In the league a Villalibre hat-trick saw off Granada and then it was the meat in the sandwich when we played Real Madrid in the 2nd of our 3 games in a row against them and they narrowly beat us 1-0 to take charge of the league. We bounced back however as we beat Villarreal 2-1 before we put in a great performance to beat Barcelona 3-1 and then Levante were beaten so going into the last month with 3 to play we are just 1pt behind Real Madrid with the better head to head record.

In the Champions League we miraculously knocked out Real Madrid by drawing 0-0 despite having a man sent-off, a player injured and no shots on goal and in the semis we are 2-0 up against Valencia with Liverpool waiting in the wings in the final.

It is going to be some final month!!!!!!

(I should point out I post month by month - I never post having played ahead so I have no idea what is going to happen)

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ANDER CAPA
ANDER.png

--

LA LIGA
APRIL.png

1607808607116.png

Julen Guerrero
1992-2006
Midfielder
430 apps, 116 goals

Guerrero was a fantastic midfielder for Athletic and a must buy in an old edition of Championship Manager! The attacking midfielder played his entire career with Athletic and was also a key player for the Spanish national side as he was capped 41 times and he scored 13 goals. He played for the Basque Country 11 times also and scored 6 goals.

--

MAY

UEFA Champions League Semi-Final 2nd Leg
2-2.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Rodrigues), Guevara, Sancet, N.Williams, Unai Lopez, Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre (Serrano)

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL HERE WE COME!!!!

We reach the final after playing out a 2-2 draw with Valencia. Oihan Sancet scored the goal of the game as he struck from long range and despite them levelling the match scoreline we werent in any trouble.

--

huesca.png

Lineup - Simon, Areso, Yeray, Martinez, Rodrigues, Guevara (Nolaskoain), Sancet, I.Williams (N.Williams), Raul Garcia*, Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre

We keep the pressure on Real Madrid with our win here. Villalibre gave us the lead with a penalty to get us his 30th goal of the season and then Raul Garcia doubled our lead to confirm the victory. They pulled a goal back but we werent in any danger.

--

sevilla.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Rodrigues), Guevara, Sancet, I.Williams (N.Williams), Raul Garcia (Adrian), Muniain, Villalibre*

WE GO TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!!!!

Real Madrid drew with Valencia so this win takes us top of the table by 1pt with 1 game to play. Asier Villalibre got both of the goals (his 2nd coming from long range) and although Milik pulled one back for them we managed to see it through which is testament to my players as they knew Real Madrid drew before we played this match.

If we win our last match the title is ours!!!!!

--

elche.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez (Nunez), Yuri, Guevara, Unai Lopez, N.Williams, Raul Garcia*, Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre (Serrano)

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!

Tbh I thought we would be going into this match as Elche were already relegated but my players arguably put in their best performance of the season (individually) and we thumped them 4-0. Real Madrid won 2-1 in the end so they kept us honest but I am so proud of my players right now. Can we go a step further however?

--

UEFA Champions League Final
liverpool.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri*, Unai Lopez, Sancet, I.Williams, Raul Garcia (Adrian), Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre (N.Williams)

CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE!!!!!

I cant believe that we have done it! We went into the final as underdogs and in the end it was a horrible final with hardly any chances but as the 90min drew to a close the Williams' brothers struck. First Nico broke free to finish and then Inaki powered a shot in from the edge of the area into the top corner to make us the Champions of Europe.

--

SUMMARY

What a way to end the season. We went into the final month 1pt behind Real Madrid with 3 games to play and we end up winning the title by 2pts. The Sevilla match was the big one and we defeated them 2-1 thanks to a Villalibre double. Real drew on the same day so we went into the final match knowing that our destiny was in our own hands and we put in one of our performances of the season to win 4-0 and claim our first title in 37 years.

Then in the Champions League we drew 2-2 with Valencia to book our place in the final and there we came up against Liverpool and would you believe it we only went and won 2-0 become the Champions of Europe.

End of season post to follow.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
RAUL GARCIA
raul garcia.png

1607857004611.png

END OF SEASON REVIEW

What a season this was!!!!! After last season I thought this term would be all about securing a top 4 finish again, be competitive in Europe and maybe sneak a domestic trophy but we blew that out of the water by winning the league and Champions League with the Supercopa thrown in for good measure!!!!!

To win those 2 major trophies in just the 2nd season is quite something. Sure I strengthened in midfield with Guevara coming in but other than that it was the same side that I had last year. Maybe the fact that most of my players are at the peak of their careers played a part but then again Raul Garcia was key and he is about to turn 36.

In the league we started brilliantly as we won our first 7 matches and were unbeaten in the first 14 games to open up an 8pt lead at the top of the table. We lost to Barcelona and then Sevilla within 3 matches which narrowed our lead to 2pts but we then recovered until February when we hit a poor run of form as we won 1 in 5.

We were hanging on at the top of the league but when Real Madrid beat us 1-0 it handed the advantage back to them however we won our final 6 games to take the title by 1pt with us reclaiming the lead on the penultimate weekend of the season.

In the Supercopa we beat Atletico Madrid in the final thanks to 2 late goals having defeated Valencia in the semis. Our efforts in the Copa del Rey however left a lot to be desired. Having knocked out two lower league sides we took on Real Sociedad in the quarter-finals and we threw away a 2 goal lead to lose 3-2.

Then there was our European campaign!!!! We lost our first group match to Inter Milan but won the group by winning our remaining 5 next matches including a 5-1 thrashing of Ajax. We were drawn against Borussia Dortmund in the next stage and lost 1-0 in the first leg but won the 2nd leg 3-0 and that set up a tie with Real Madrid. We won 1-0 at home and in the 2nd leg we somehow escaped with a 0-0 draw as we didnt have a shot on goal and had a man sent-off!!!!

Valencia were up next in the semis and we knocked them out 4-2 on aggregate and then we met Liverpool in the final. The game was awful with little chances however Nico and Inaki Williams scored in the last 10min to give us the most unlikely victory. Make no mistake the draw was very kind to us and we rode our luck against Real Madrid - it was a perfect storm however in our favour!!!

I must also say that my B team and C team did incredibly well. My B team finished 2nd in the 2nd tier by 1pt but they really should have won the league as they won only 2 of their last 8 games. My C team did a bit better and got promoted though.

--

LA LIGA

title.png

--

FIRST TEAM SQUAD
squad.png
squad2.png

Goalkeepers - Unai Simon did brilliantly this season again and only missed 2 games. Despite Sergio Herrera being my backup keeper in the first team squad I was always going to play Ivan Martinez if Simon was out and he duly filled in for the 2 games.

Defenders - My back 4 were tremendous but Ander Capa and Yeray really stole the show and were my best players for the season. Capa notched 9 goals and 14 assists while Yeray out performed Inigo Martinez who was hardly shoddy himself. Yuri at LB could have done better but his backup, Kevin Rodrigues, did well and played more than I had expected.

Midfielders - In the middle I had my big summer signing, Ander Guevara, and last seasons young player of the year Oihan Sancet. Guevara was solid and scored one of our goals of the season when he volleyed in from 25 yards. Sancet developed again but I still think he can push on. Raul Garcia started the season at CM but spent the majority of it at AMC and he was immense. Sure he only scored 6 goals but he did rack up 17 assists and at 35y/o he amazed me.

On the right wing Inaki Williams had a great season. He scored 22 goals which is pretty **** good and he scored the clincher in the Champions League final too. On the left wing Iker Muniain was pretty disappointing in all honesty. He did have one stand out match when he notched a hat-trick and he did get into double figures for goals but I expect better.

My other midfielders all got their chances. Cordoba started the season on fire before fading away, while Unai Lopez, Vencedor, Nolaskoain, Morcillo, Berenguer and Serrano all came in and out sporadically. Serrano really needs to kick on in his development but I do have a future star in Adrian. The 16y/o January signing made 1 start and 16 sub appearances and I expect him to feature more next term.

Forwards - It was a season to remember for Asier Villalibre as he scored 32 goals. Despite that terrific goal haul he did have a barren spell and even went 9 consecutive league games without scoring. Nico Williams was his backup and he had a great breakthrough season as he scored 15 goals in all competitions including the opener in the Champions League final.

My Player of the Season - Ander Capa
My Young Player of the Season - Nico Williams
Must Do Better - Nico Serrano
Donkey of the Year - Iker Muniain

--

PRE-SEASON PLANS

I dont have much money to spend as we have just bought our stadium and are improving the facilities etc so I wouldnt expect much except for maybe bringing in regens for the future. I always like to promote from within so there may be a couple of first team squad changes plus we have the FIFA Club World Cup to negotiate!

1607858043599.png

2022 FIFA CLUB WORLD CUP

Group B
beijing.png

Lineup
- Simon, Areso, Nunez, Nolaskoain, Yuri, Vencedor, Unai Lopez*, Morcillo, Adrian, Cordoba, N.Williams (Serrano)

I put out my backups here and they did a good job. Cordoba struck twice but it was Unai Lopez who shone as he got 3 assists!

--

Group B
santos.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa*, Nunez (Nolaskoain), Martinez, Yuri, Guevara, Sancet, I.Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Serrano), Villalibre

I dont know how we won this match as we were terrible. We fell behind in the 1st minute and we just couldnt get out of the bit. We managed to scramble home an equaliser and then Raul Garcia scored a screamer from nearly 30 yards to put us ahead. They battered us tbh and missed so many chances and somehow we held on to win.

group.png

--

Quarter-Final
liverpool.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Guevara (Unai Lopez), Sancet, I.Williams (N.Williams), Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre

Meh. Out of the 8 sides in quarter-finals we were the weakest side (maybe apart from Barcelona lol) so victory was always going to be unlikely. In the end Liverpool gain revenge over our Champions League final victory against them. We lost narrowly but Villalibre missed an early penalty and we also missed some great chances to level so its a case of what might have been.

Hey peeps - I dont want to become that guy who has a story every other week but I think this save is ruined by the success I have had already. Winning the league and champions league in my 2nd season has kinda spoiled it so I am going to call it a day. Will look for a save that should be tougher!!!

My last save on FM20 I was nearly 10 seasons in so want to find a long term save that will be a challenge.

Sorry!!!!!

Feel free to suggest teams for me to be. Will be spending the night looking at teams etc to be.

This FM does seem much easier to be honest. I did start as Deportivo La Coruna in the 3rd tier of Spain, that could be an interesting one for you?

This FM does seem much easier to be honest. I did start as Deportivo La Coruna in the 3rd tier of Spain, that could be an interesting one for you?
I did that one but was too easy to get promoted and attract players, thats why I've started in Sweden as not winning the champions league anytime soon

A good challenge could be Schalke as they are in a dire situation right now. Also the newly promoted Premier League teams don't look all that good (Leeds the exception) and they could also be a challenge. Ultimately go with whatever you feel you want to do!

Theres a team in Russia where they arent allowed to sign anyone at all. Purely have to rely on their youth intakes, kinda similar to Bibao. Maybe have a look at that?

Had a look at a few teams. The one in Turkey that can only sign Turkish players.

Bologna, bari and monza in Italy
Kaiserslautern
Reims
Bolton

Tomorrow I will load up a few leagues and see if a save in a smaller nation appeals to bring up the national team also.

Had a look at a few teams. The one in Turkey that can only sign Turkish players.

Bologna, bari and monza in Italy
Kaiserslautern
Reims
Bolton

Tomorrow I will load up a few leagues and see if a save in a smaller nation appeals to bring up the national team also.
I've had experience with Altinordu (the Turkish club you mentioned) in FM19 and 20 and it's a pretty fun save although it is quite easy to get promoted to the top league. It's also relatively easy to stay up and establish yourself there but Europe will be a challenge and when the traditional Turkish 'Big three' recover from their respective crises they should provide a good domestic challenge.

They also have a great youth system and finances should not be a problem after you get promoted because the league gives you cash for every win and draw.

Would recommend.