The return to the family - Dexther Bolle back to Crewe Alexandra.

• Thread starter Thread starter Death Ball
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 6K
Have a look for loan players from the Scottish Premier League. Celtic etc often has some hidden gems.

Midseason 2013-2014

- Fixtures:

So far the season looks better than the past one, but not too different. We are being quite more consistent, with a good run that's much longer than any of the past season's, with only a couple losses strewn between several matches with a decent proportion of wins. However, that's not as great as it could see once the poor start is considered, with a long run of defeats with just one or two wins in between; and that the good run includes a few cup matches.

Disappointing are the short results in the cups against much weaker opponents, a mere 1-0 against BSP Lincoln, a penalty shootout to get past John Paint Trophy quarterfinals. And in the league getting only a draw in the last two matches against teams from the bottom to end the first half of season with a balance to home wins of +1 point, three below the final balance required for play offs past season.

Fixtures14-12-2013.jpg

Northamptongame2013.jpg

- Competitions:

In the semifinals of John Paint's Trophy against Rotherham and getting the objective of third round in the FA Cup (against Swindon), the performance is just acceptable, given the trouble to beat teams such as Lincoln or Northampton.

In the league, the consistency has seen us climb back to reach the fourth place, just six points from third and two from seventh, and potentially seventeen from second. Direct promotion is, therefore, out of the question. But play off qualification is very well within our reach.

Table14-12-2013.jpg

Graph14-12-2013.jpg

- Performances:

There's not much that has changed from the start of the season, though the defence seems to have improved somewhat since the addition of Reece Brown, who got injured for a couple weeks in the cup match against Oxford, and we've suffered that in the later games. However, there's still the games in which it seems to fall into pieces, like the Colchester game, in which the offensive efficiency with Litmanen in the hole of a 4-2-3-1 made up for the defensive nonsense. That was quite a rubbish game from the defence, not a single goal from Colchester being acceptable:

1st - Murphy passes back to the 6 yard box straight to a striker's feet.

2nd - Akins stays in a side of the pitch six yards deeper then the barrier, having all the opponent players six yards behind all my field players.

3rd - Their winger crosses a pass to D'Ath and Clancy iswithin inches of the trajectory but does nothing.

My first was also crazy: their centreback heads a corner into the crossbar, the ball bounces back to his head and into the goal.

As mentioned, some more trouble than acceptable to get past weak teams in the cup.

International matches had us play with Alan Martin a couple matches (Rotherham and Scunthorpe, I think) and he did well again. It makes me regret buying Paul Smith.

Swindon match was played with ten men, being 1-0 down, after Tunnicliffe made a two feet tackle that will keep him out for a yet undecided amount of matches. The only positive is we came back with ten men and Clayton had two chances, one very clear, to have won the match.

No prizes for anyone, but Tunnicliffe and I were among the top three in at least one month.

Purcell still our best man assisting and scoring and midfield leading the tackles ahead of fullbacks ahead of centerbacks, with the latter leading interceptions, which is very nice.

Colchestergame23-11-2013.jpg

Novemberyoungplayer2013.jpg

OctoberManager2013.jpg

Tunnicliffeban14-12-2013.jpg

Squadstats14-12-2013.jpg

- Injury table:

With Brown almost back into full training, Osman's is perhaps the more important of the injuries.

Injurytable14-12-2013.jpg

Finances

Not a good financial situation with a projected negative balance at the end of the season. That makes the run in the cups more important than before. While one would hope to cut down the losses with player sales, the monthly balance in past months show that even with no player wages the team would keep losing money. Any solution to the economy would then go rather through achieving promotion.

Finances14-12-2013.jpg

- Transfers:

There's been one addition to the side, after Clayton suffered an injury while Leitch-Smith was injured as well. In the end, the next day to the confirmation of the deal, Clayton returned as he recovered faster than at first estimated, just like Leitch-Smith. The player picked on a free was Wade Elliot,an older player with very good mental stats, though not as good as Litmanen's, lacking only in bravery, aggression and physical attributes. He can play any midfield position but defensive midfield. Has done very well in 4-2-3-1 from the same position as Litmanen in both cup matches.

There is no reason to bring any new faces, but the financial situation calls for considering what to do with high earners and players who finish contract this season and, specially, those who fall in both categories.

One option is to consider what high earners have a good replacement with lower wages and chances of finding some cheap back up and get rid of as many as possible that aren't strictly needed.

The second option is limit that to high earners who finish contract this season, try to get some money out of them, though it may be a little too late.

The third is to just forget about it and just push for promotion with what is had.

Transfers14-12-2013.jpg

Contractend14-12-2013.jpg

Higherearners14-12-2013.jpg

One risky movement would be to try get something above a million euros for fon Williams and trust in Martin and Smith, but Williams has been solid in most of the games, though is the man who has made more mistakes leading to goal, two.

Among the players who end contract, only Purcell and Ellis, maybe Pogba, would be expected to attract enough interest to be bough in this window. Ellis has been doing very well to keep our defence solid along Brown, so it wouldn't be very sensible to sell him. Maybe Davis could be sold, though Kovacevic is valued more and has much higher wages, plus is older and prone to injuries.

Among the high earners, they're players that are clearly above any other already in the squad and nothing that could be hoped to replace cheaply. The only one who might be sold with much danger is Ryan Tunnicliffe. He's been very solid, though, and his tendencyto run into the opposition area has given us a few goals and has made us more dangerous ahead, so it doesn't feel right to give him up.

The only possible moves would be a sale of Kovacevic, and Tunnicliffe only with a very good offer. Pogba could also be sold, but it's doubtful he'd attract anyone, given the little time he's enjoyed.

I looked over some of the Scottish league clubs, but had no luck finding players I wanted and would have itnerest in joining.

- Other

Nothing in the various curiosities but that Litmanen's goal sets the new record for oldest scorer at Crewe.

Litmanenveteranscorer24-11-2013.jpg

Start of 2014

- Fixtures:

With a 2 wins and 3 defeats in league, it's not the best of the periods of this season, however it has left us with one point from promotion playoff with one game in hand, which is played at home against a direct rival that's tied in points with us. Pending that result, we may be with a +6 balance to home wins, which would place us in the play offs any of the past seasons. Specially painful was the Bournemouth defeat, in which fon Williams seemed incapable of stopping anything, maybe because of unhappiness.

In the FA cup fourth round we drawed Manchester City, a couple of mistakes and a bit of bad luck had us lose 4-1 (having been 2-1 with 13 minutes to go). Didn't play the strongest side and the defenders showed their lacking in positioning.

In the John Paint's Trophy, we reached the North final and overcame a 0-1 home lose in the first round against Oldham with a fine display away to win 2-1 and the round. In the final Ipswich will be waiting. Not very confident in our chances.

Fixtures19-02-2014.jpg

vsManCityFACup.jpg

IpswichfinalofJPT.jpg

- Competitions:

In the league we're looking good to fight for promotion play offs, with some decent performances and a few tweaks in tactics. A +6pts home win balance awaiting the home match in hand against Peterborough, a match that has twice been postponed. ((I'm afraid it may be a bug? Start of January it was postponed for waterlogged pitch, twenty days later again for the same reasons, I hope it's not stuck that this match is waterlogged because then finishing the season may be at risk. Or just luck)) If we defeat Peterborough or, at least, don't lose, I can be somewhat optimistic for the play offs. From all the teams that may be there, all are beatable, except, maybe, Peterborough.

Table19-02-2014.jpg

Graph18-02-2014.jpg

The ups and downs of the last part are caused by the second game in hand, though the first was lost to Bournemouth

- Performances:

Tadgh Purcell still is the top scorer and assister of the team, despite which I've not yet done more than one match with two strikers. The current 4-5-1 is working well, so I'm reluctant to change it. Seeing Mark Ellis has commited two goal mistakes is a surprise, sharing with fon Williams being the player that has made more, as he's generally performed admirably. Fullbacks and defensive midfielders still are ahead in the tackling stats, which is a very good sign for a solid defense. Loanee Robert Hall has had a very good start at the club, contrary to Forsythe.

Good surprises have been Alan Martin keeping up his good performances in the cup and Paul Smith doing very well when he's been given the chance.

Squadstats19-02-20014.jpg

Neither team nor players are among the top of the league.

- Injury table:

A few injuries were had, Kovacevic, McHattie, Addo, Diao, Leitch-Smith, but none was long. Currently no first team player is injured, only one is a youth, Meppen-Walters, for several weeks, which is a bit of a worry as he's a promising one.

Injurytable19-02-2014.jpg

-Finances:

Improving in the last months that have seen profits of three hundred thousands for two months in a row.

- Transfers:

Rangers came at the start of January offering to buy Harry Davis and after some negotiations I managed to get them to raise their bid from €350K to €500K and accepted it. Preparing for his leave I looked in the loan list and picked Bradely Orr and Darryl Westlake. But then Davis rejected Rangers because of wages. So I sent Westlake back, as his deal had us pay €1,100p/w in wages and I didn't to stress out finances more than strictly needed.

There were two more loans agreed to: Craig Forsythe to have an offensive leftback due to the McHattie injury and the match congestion that made it look too likely to not have fit leftback at some point. Also a left winger able to cross and good enough passer as inside forward. We pay €1,700 p/w salary, though, which is a little high.

And Robert Hall was also loaned, to have a try at a striker with a decent teamwork, as many chances were wasted in the past due to a egoistical striker. He's started well.

Because Smith and Martin have been doing so well and the high value of fon Williams, he was offered to other clubs without transfer listing. He got mad, I told him he could stay, but the match after that he was abyssmal so I transfer listed him and agreed to sell him to Dundee Utd for €1,2M.

As the future goes, I've taken a look at the end of contracts this season.

Addo and Diao will be leaving at the end because they're not that great anymore. I will rather try to fill their places with loanees next season. Purcell may be let go, depending how he performs in what is left of season and how much he asks for, as he is on a high salary. Tootle doesn't look quality so he's probably leaving. Ellis and Leitch-Smith I'd like to keep, but in december were asking for too much. Wade Elliot has done well when he's played, so I'm considering offering him a new deal, it will depend on who I find. Paul Smith will also see a contract offer in the coming months unless he dramatically drops his form and we find some cheap good goalie.

As you can see, I offered one more year to Litmanen, who's been very good for us, though not enjoying too many minutes. He's too injury prone.

Abdul Osman may or may not be offered a contract, it will depend on who can we find and his performances. Chances are he'll stay with us.

Bradley Orr is a bit old, but he's been very good and I may look to sign him permanently. Forsyth has had a poor start and may still be sent back to his club. Hall is shaping very well and I may try to reloan next season.

Contracts19-02-2014.jpg

Futuretransfer19-02-2014.jpg

RobertHall19-02-2014.jpg

CraigForsyth19-02-2014.jpg

BradleyOrr19-02-2014.jpg

- Other:

In January I was offered to change expectations, but I left them at midtable finish, as I don't want to press my players.

Newexpectations01-01-2014.jpg

Last edited:
Midseason 2013-2014

- Fixtures:

The objective marked of avoiding bad long runs has been avoided, reaching the last match of the league with a +6 balance regarding home wins. Not real matches to lament as the only low level team that managed to defeat or deny victory to us was one we didn't do anything against in the first round, so maybe it's their style of play.

Only one, is the final of Johnstone Paint Trophy, where our very defensive tactic created the chances to win, but they were missed so Ipswich came away with it.

Fixtures28-04-2014.jpg

- Competitions:

As already sayd, the JPT was lost in the final to Ipswich with a lucky 1-0 for them.

In the league, the lack of long slumps and the +6 gave us a spot in the promotion play off!. The bad news is that our first rival are Peterbrough, the team relegated from Championship and one we have lost both past matches against.

When the league was approaching to the end, with ten matches to go, Charlton had a slump and, for some days it looked like we had a chance for direct promotion, but their slump didn't last enough and we had some tough matches yet to come.

Table28-04-2014.jpg

Graph28-04-2014.jpg

- Performances:

There is not much new to comment about the performances, though lately the team seemed a little bit sloppy, specially defending.

Forsyth was given an opportunity that he took with a hat-trick after we got the opposition's left winger out with a red card.

Most noteworthy is the high amount of mistakes leading to goal by Paul Smith, though he's been generally performing well enough not to miss Owain fon Williams. However, it leaves a bad taste going into the play offs, as after the confirmation of his sale Owain showed no will to do anything for the team. The question, however, is if I should use Alan Martin, who's done very well and without mistakes costing goals.

Nobody of the team stands out in the league general statistics, but as a team we're among the top scorers, which is good. Should I go against Peterbrough for the win at home in the first leg?. Something yet to be decided.

Squadstats28-04-2014.jpg

Playerstats28-04-2014.jpg

Teamstats28-04-2014.jpg

- Injury table:

After two seasons with a decent luck with injuries, exception made for Litmanen, we get the ones that hurt most in this important moment, as two important players will be missing for the whole play offs: Tunnicliffe and Max Clayton. The first being more important, as his preference to make runs into opposition area serves as a good measure to balance defensive tactics. Clayton can make very good matches, but we got enough to cover for him.

DBTunnicliffeinjury05-03-2014.jpg

Injurytable28-04-2014.jpg

((I didn't think on looking injuries for play off teams, so there's only for the other that was right above mine))

- Transfers:

Most of the transfer work will not begin until we know if we'll play League One or Championships, though I'm expecting League One; but a few deals have been made.

Despite my initial thoughts to let their contracts expire, Addo and Diao are going to stay, as they work as decent back ups. It's two iffy deals, because perhaps it would have been better to let them go and accept Mark Ellis's demands to renew, which would've meant him earning almost as much as the two combined. But the team finances are not as good as spend two players salaries in one. Besides, he's not having as much time as he once had. Most of contracts that end this season will be running out, either because the players are old, not good enough or ask too much.

Two deals are complete, one you know, the sale of Owain fon Williams, the other is the sale of Adam Dugdale, who had one more year of cotnract but has had no time in the first team since his injury early in the season.

Robert Hall and Bradley Orr are players I want to keep. Forsyth is going to have, I think, a chance in the play offs.

But that's not the end, there is one player who is going to come in June. Paul Smith asked too much and with his amount of mistakes leading to goals, I've chosen another slightly younger, almost as good at shot stopping but definitely better distributing the ball, which is something I miss in Paul Smith: Brad Jones.

Transfersnext28-04-2014.jpg

BradJones28-04-2014.jpg

- Other:

((One curiosity is that for the first time in my entire FM13, I see more than one player convincing fans in the confidence section.))

Playerconfidence21-04-2014.jpg

Special play offs

- Semifinals against Peterborough.

This is the worst semifinal I could have. First, I am forced to take out the one team I've not yet defeated. Second, defeating it doesn't guarantee our promotion, so I could as well be ensuring a hard rival stays in League One for next season.

I go to the first leg with a new formation that was briefly tested against Swindown, a 4-4-1-1 counter, to try exploit the reported weaknesses of their squad.

First leg:

Peterborough1stlegstats.jpg

Success! We come away with a 1-0 win that's more comfortable than it looks as it could have been a 3-0. The result means there's still all to do for the second leg.

Second leg:

I repeat formation and instructions. Peterborough creates much more danger this time and we are held with barely any.

Peterborough2ndlegstats.jpg

And we do it!.

Final:

It will be played at Wembley, single leg, against Colchester, who beat Bury on 3-2 aggregate (both legs won by the away team, 1-2 and 0-2).

To my surprise, there's 20 days between the semifinal's second leg and the final. Also I find that Clayton and Tunnicliffe will come out of their injuries before that, though Tunnicliffe with few days.

I arrange three easy friendlies to keep condition of the players. Tunnicclife is forced to try get his match fitness up.

When the final arrives, Clayton is up to speed, but he's on the bench to be used as a supersub. Tunnicliffe, beside his tiredness is playing in the starting team. By report of Colchester and past tactic I decide to field a 4-1-4-1, by simply dropping back the wingers of the usual 4-1-2-2-1. Tunnucliffe is considered vital for his tendency to run up to the opposition area, which is desired to bring enough men to the attack.

Colchesterstats.jpg

And though possession is controled, the team doesn't generate enough danger, even when returned to the 4-1-2-2-1 and changed from counter to attacking. All the effort ruined by two stupid mistakes by both centerbacks. Why they both have high ratings and the left back, who had no part in either goal, was poorly rated is beyond me.

((Now, I'm unhappy with this. The first time I couldn't avoid but rage quit, which is annoying because now I don't have a pkm to send to bug reports. Things were going well, like the second play that I won on penalties, which went very similar. In that first they score after a cross that is going from my right side, my DCL is right between ball and attacker, in the former's trajectory, when the cross is shoot, but strangely decides that in such conditions a defender's priority isn't to clear the ball but to run away. Goal is scored. So far, it's annoying, but ok, **** happens, player make horrible mistakes. Now, it's scored in min 89:47, 2 mins of injury time announced, ball is carried to the central spot in 90:02, when I pause the game and go to tactics and set to attack and subs. Then... the kick is made... with the clock having jumped to 93:38‼, the game stole me the few minutes to make a comeback, and the final whistle comes at 93:48 with the team positioned decently for a good chance with one or two passes. I rage at the time steal and close before I can think. I replayed and won on penalties. But I don't like cheating and I don't approve reloads. Because in between the last save and match it was some long things to do, I decide make it three sets, whatever happens in the third, happens. And I lose. Luckily, as that retains the original result, preventing tainting a promotion. But it still leaves a sour aftertaste, having made a ragequit and reload.))

Fixtures31-05-2014.jpg

So another season in League One. Time to plan for it.

Gradi, the U19 manager retires, which I'm not unhappy with, as I want another who's better at it. Wade Elliot also retires, but that's not a big loss as I wasn't going to renew his contract and he hasn't played much nor he's the best tutoring material.

Leitch-Smith was offered a new contract, paid as the current with €1,700p/w, which is a little too much for a player who's not performed all that well, so I am considering withdrawing the offer and letting his contract run out. Possibly I will try to renew Purcell's, who's been very good this season, instead of him.

There's an Oldham midfielder who ends contract this season and looks like a great signing, Dean Furman. Tackling, passing at 12, first touch and technique at around 11-13, 13 creativity, but just 10 composure, concentration and decisions. Great season in League One, highly recommended by scouts. Issue is that he'll likely ask a lot of wages and I would rather try to save as much, to get promotion this next season and have then funds to make signings for next season.

I've been feeling lately that keeping two stories at the same time makes them progress slow, slower than I'd like, so I'm considering parking one and playing just one. You may say which one you prefer, this or the belgian talent.

Preseason 2014-2015

- Fixtures:

The announced fixture list looks decent to build a good run before a not too congested stint against the tougher sides, however, they come packed in the second half of each round, which is a danger for team morale. Recently relegated Preston, Cardiff and Hull plus tough sides from previous season like Sheffield United and Peterborough, those five in seven matches, with Sheffield, Cardiff and Peterborough in a row.

Announcedfixtures25-06-2014.jpg

The friendlies were in majority against weak teams to build up conditioning of players. A match against Manchester City away had to be cancelled, though, because of the squad getting too tired in the start of the preseason. The strong sides we met were Middlesbrough, against whom we had a fine first half, though ultimately lost, and PSG reserves, which included Jèrèmy Menez and was a short but comfortable win.

With the first round of the Capital One Cup we close the preseason with the players in good fitness, which allows us to look to the start of the season with optimism.

Fixtures13-08-2014.jpg

- Competitions:

We reached the second round of the League Cup for the first time and we won't be going further, for we got drawn against Wolverhampton Wanderers. Chances of winning aren't 0, but they're not much better!.

CoC2ndrounddraw12-08-2014.jpg

In the league the betting companies give us no more than an outside chance to push for promotion; but so far we've overachieving, so I'm hoping to find success.

Leagueodds26-07-2014.jpg

- Injury table:

This season we start badly. Only one injury, but one that is important: Luke Murphy out for two months. And Tunnicliffe has not got well through his long injury just before the summer break.

Murphyinjury04-08-2014.jpg

- Transfers:

There was quite movement, with bad and good news. Since I feel satisfied with the overall balance, I shall begin with the bad ones.

The first but not the worst is that I withdrew the contract offer for Leitch-Smith and let him go. As it turned to be, any prospective replacement I could be was one step behind and asked for more money. Then Brentford came asking to take Lucas Akins to Championship; the offer was good and would srve to boost our balance, so it was offered to avoid upset players. The next bad piece of news was that Brad Jones had declined in his time without team and I didn't quite feel comfortable depending on him or Alan Martin, so I would have to look for another goalkeeper. And finally, because of a low free release transfer for higher level teams, we lost Reece Brown, the soul of our defence since the day he arrived. It was to Brighton & Hove Albion, so we possibly would have lost him anyway, but at least we might have pulled a deal proportionate to his quality and importance.

In the good side: we've got €3,1M in for just €375K out, a winger on loan to fill Akin's departure, a hopefully good replacement for Brown (arrived too late to show his quality in preseason) and in general I am happy with the signings as I consider they reinforce the squad to make it effectively stronger. The only question mark is in the goal, as the new goalkeeper, Ryan Esson, has commited some very nasty mistakes distributing the ball, as he's not much better there than Paul Smith. And he asked for higher wages than Smith.

Shane Breeze was promoted to the first team, on account of his superb finishing, off the ball and more than decent jumping and composure.

Transfers13-08-2014.jpg

GrgoryVignal13-08-2014.jpg

LeonBest13-08-2014.jpg

MichaelNelson13-08-2014.jpg

NathanBaker13-08-2014.jpg

BenGibson13-08-2014.jpg

RyanEsson13-08-2014.jpg

ShaneBreeze13-08-2014.jpg

ShaunMaloney13-08-2014.jpg

ValentinGjokaj13-08-2014.jpg

BradJones13-08-2014.jpg

DeanFurman13-08-2014.jpg

GavinMorrison13-08-2014.jpg

- Performances:

All of the new signings have shown enough quality to play regularly, Vignal being a good back up in the leftback position, Leon Best scoring several nice goals Jones and Esson offering some solid goalkeeping shows. Though the later was somewhat slopping passing the ball, as he costed two of the three goals conceded to Middlesbrough.

- Other:

More than half million euros will be received in TV rights for the next season.

Reece Brown was chosen the Fans' Player of the Year past season, which shows how important he was. There are no surprises in the best eleven, which I consider just.

TVrights14-15.jpg

PlayerofYear2014.jpg

Besteleven2014.jpg

Midseason 2014-2015. End of a dream

Sacked06-12-2014.jpg

While the latest run of form has been poor and the season definitely bad so far, I can't feel but think there's some injustice in the decision, once you consider we had played three matches less than most and four less than some, and that a reasonable rate of success of the games at hand would send us to the middle of the table 10-14th positions, at reasonable distance from the play off spots to have hopes of finishing on a good note.

That's the price of matches postponed by CoC, FA and JPT cup matches or international selection.

Table06-12-2014.jpg

Collinsbacks24-10-2014.jpg

We suffered a serious injury to Shane Breeze, but though I had planned to make him a regular part of the rotation upfront, it shouldn't have been too important. Perhaps more was a three weeks injury for Ryan Esson when we were having matches every three days, as Brad Jones has not been all that good in the league..

ShaneBreezeinjury08-10-2014.jpg

Injurytable06-12-2014.jpg

Fixtures06-12-2014.jpg

Missing are two wins and one defeat against Scunthorpe (3-0), Crawley Town (0-1) and Hartlepool (2-1), plus the expected defeat against Hull in the League Cup (0-1).

As will be seen, this season we were failing at avoiding bad runs. I would identify as the turning point the Preston defeat 1-4. We were 1-0 up after a great first half; but, since I was feeling the team was getting complacent, I told them to not let their arms down and they broke down, making a disastrous second half, after which we told them clearly what I thought of their display. Then followed a coiple of matches that they didn't get the result that should have been expected and from then only brief spells of clarity broke among strings of defeats.

The thing that is more bothersome is that the team has rarely plaed badly, they've been mostly moving the ball sensibly, controlling matches, creating chances, good ones. Admitedly less than one would have desired, but still more than most of the past season, yet they were unable to conver it in many times. Then defensive slips allowing the rivals to score a goal. Specially infuriating was the Cardiff's match: it was hard, I expected nothing but we contained them very well, being even the side more dangerous, then in the 91st minute, Clancy, being totally alone, decides to hand a completelly inoffensive ball. He was immediately added to the unwanted list to be sold or released, as he didn't play that much and was the top earner. Since it's mentioned, I also added to that Salif Diao and Eric Addo on account of not having nay minute for not being good enough anymore.

Some tactical tweks to the 4-5-1 and a new 4-2-3-1 were introduced, giving us a win or two, but then falling again to the demoralization of the squad.

Fixtures06-12-2014.jpg

The team is about twelfth in the least goals conceded, but it's about third to last in goals scored, which just tells the tale. Best started looking like he'd be a good suprise, but after a few good initial matches he just was unable to score. In one game he had twice the goal at his mercy, goalie beaten, and he didn't score. Granted, not the widest angle, but still those two should have gone in.

It seems the absence of the effective Robert Hall has been the toughest blow, as he was very effective and he'd have scored all those chances Best wasted. I don't think Leitch-Smith's absence has been too hurtful, since he didn't have that many appearances past season. And then at the back there's two clear holes that have hurt us badly: Reece Brown, who as said, was the vital piece of our defence and Paul Smith plus Esson's injury.

Smith was on paper slightly worse than Esson, but he performed constantly well. Then Esson was improving his performances at the start of the season, but when it looked he was settling, he got a 3-4 weeks injury; during that period we only had Brad Jones, who's been rather underwhelming (Alan Martin went to Dundee) and when Esson recovered, he was again in a poor form, costing us the first match after the injury, giving two balls straight to the opposition.

Then there's the absence of Brown. Of the centrebacks we could bring, none was comparable to him. Only Valentin Gjokaj was working at a level equivalent and he could have been that rock; but he got injured for long time, twice, which has impeded his setting in the team and forced me to field two of Gibson (lacking agility and acceleration), Nathan Baker (worst tackling ratio among centrebacks) or Michael Nelson (slow), so we never really had a defence solid enough.

Squadstats06-12-2014.jpg

So now it's either play just the belgian talent or maybe start something new. Either low top level team or high second level. I could start that Valencia save I was suggested when I asked (I played preseason of one). Or Real Sociedad because I remembered I supported it slightly when I was a kid and hadn't got disenchanting of football. Or Aston Villa for being the first English tem I felt some fondness for. Or maybe complete the season I left my FM12 Torino story at to see how it ends and then decide. I still have the play off final save of the past season, I could get it won and see what if I had earned promotion, but that's not an idea I find very attractive right now, to be honest.

Back