bcfc1

Reaction score
I thought for what will probably be my final save on FM2013 I would start a game in the MLS. It seems to be a good challenge of mixing experienced players from around the globe with young americans who could be the next big thing. I've already completed the first season of my game so there will be a few updates coming thick and fast. This is my first attempt on a story so any advice with it will be happily noted.

Would love to see you explain the draft, lol! Mind checking out my story, see if you find anything interesting?

As you can probably tell from the title of the thread I have decided to manage New England Revolution. They aren’t the greatest team in the MLS but I completed the pentagon challenge on FM2012 last year and they had a good core of players then so I’m hoping they are just as good now.
View attachment 376511

Key Players

View attachment 376515View attachment 376516View attachment 376517

I'm hoping that these three among others can carry me through this season and push the team into challenging for the title.

Staff

The number of staff at the club is very low with only one coach, one physio and one scout so this will have to be an area that I will have to improve in order to push the club on further.

History

View attachment 376525

With the MLS being quite a new league compared to most european divisions its no surprise that the club doesnt have many trophies and with no MLS or NACL trophies in the clubs history I'm going to have to work hard to change this club into a force of North America.

Pre season

The pre season friendlies were entirely against lower level American teams so there were a few good results as well as good performances in most games. When it comes to the league games I will give a bit more detail on each game but as these were only friendlies I dont feel they will give a fair representation of my team and what I should expect from them throughout the season.

View attachment 376539

Transfers

The main transfer I was looking for was a natural left winger as the team only really had one player in lee nguyen who could play there but he is a naturally a right sided winger.

View attachment 376543

I spent £250k of my allocated funds on Corey Ashe from Houston. He looks to be a fairly decent player with some speed and he can cross a ball. Also being American helps keep the number of international players in the squad to a minimum. I'm hoping as he is a left footed player he will bring some balance to the team when attacking and give the team some width.

View attachment 376549

I was also able to sign Labinot Harbuzi on a free transfer. He looks to be a great player for this level and at only 26 he should be able to be at the top of his game for a few years.

March

San Jose 1 (Wondolowski
49)
New England 3 (Bengtson 4, Harbuzi 71, Toja 88)

A good game in which we dominated the chances and the possession. A good result to get away from home.

Sporting Kansas City 3 (Bieler 57, Sapong 63, Gardner 74)
New England 2 (Soares 19, Bengtson 65)

A game where we played well but we chucked it away with some bad defending. we seemed to get caught out by a long ball over the top constantly so I might have to drop the defensive line a bit.

New England 3 (Harbuzi 36 69 92)
Portland 3 (Johnson 5 55, Silvestre 87)

A pretty even game where a draw was probably a fair result. I cant seem to keep a clean sheet by the looks of it though.

Los angeles 4 (Keane 24 64, Donovan 81, Clark 87)
New England 1 (Nguyen 26)

It was actually a pretty even game but as I pushed on for a equaliser late on I got caught on the break twice which makes the score look much worse than the performance was.

A poor month where I only got 4 out of 12 points. I'm hoping for more points next month and hopefully a tighter back line as I seem to be leaking goals in every game.

April

FC Dallas 0

New England 1 (Bengtson 82)

Finally a clean sheet. A good result in an even game. Hopefully this will lead to a tighter defense from now on.

New England 2 (Soares 17, Bengtson 24)

DC United 1 (Pajoy 81)

A good result at home but they gave us a good scare at the end hitting the bar and the post as well as scoring one in the last 10 minutes.

New york 2 (steele 48, espindola 69)
New england 3 (Bengtson 4 17pen, Nyassi 42)

A great performance in the first half and we were dominated in the second. While I'm not happy having to hold on twice in a row it at least shows that the team are able to do so if necessary.

A good three games with maximum points taken especially considering one of those games was against New York away from home. April also saw a signing with youngster Jeff Meola coming into the club from New York.

View attachment 376578

May

New England 2 (Bengtson 16, Rivero og 26)
Colorado 2 ( LaBrocca 42, Harbottle 76)

We seem to be the most interesting team in the league with the largest number of goals scored and second most conceded.

Real Salt Lake 2 (Morales 5, sandoval 10)

New England 1 (Bengtson 69)

Poor performance where we were dominated from start to finish. Probably the worst performance so far this season

New England 3 (Soares 2 74, Harbuzi 7)
Vancouver 1 ( De Merit 53)

A good performance and result which was needed after the game. I dont know whether its my defense or the league in general but they had 1 shot on target and scored it and I've seen that a few times now. Has anyone else seen this.

New England 2 (Toja 9, Soares 87)

Houston 2 (Ching 42, Boswell 56)

A pretty decent result in the end with a late equalizer but I would of liked to have won this especially being at home.

DC United 1 (Pajoy 40)
New England 2 (Harbuzi 59, Sene 88)

Another good performance and a good result. Again leaving it late though which wont always be there to save me.

US cup
New England 2 (Fagundez 14, Sene 45)
Tampa Bay Rowdies 5 (Hurtado 3 51, *** 11, Antoniuk 26 77)

I couldnt believe it. I still struggle to think how I lost this. I played a bunch of youngsters but I still should have easily gone through this round. It wasnt even close they dominated from start to finish with every stat from shots to possession in their favour.

A mixed month to say the least with a good away win against DC United but on the other hand I'm out of the cup straight away.

A gap at the top of the Eastern Conference is starting to build with me, Houston, Sporting Kansas and Montreal all pulling ahead. New York have had a shocking start they are second bottom and have already sacked their manager.

Transfers

A couple have left thats worth mentioning. Khalifa Cisse and Chad Barrett have left for Toronto and San Jose respectively. I got both teams first choice in the superdraft which was a great deal considering Toronto are bottom of the league and San Jose are mid table.

For those who dont understand the Drafting system I will try my best to explain it when I reach there in my story. I dont find it too complicated but I think the best way to learn it is to be a team in the MLS and just go for it.

I wont be updating the story anymore tonight but I will hopefully finish telling the first season.

Feedback would be great to let me know how im doing and so i know im not just writing this story for myself.

June

New England 5 (Sene 12, Harbuzi 14, Ashi 21, Soares 54, Simms 78)
Chicago 2 (Berry 24, Nyarko 80)

A good home result to keep the points coming in. At this rate we could definitely challenge for the league

New England 1 (Sene 14)
Columbus 1 (Sanchez 63)

A boring game in which not much happened. A draw was probably a fair result in the end

Toronto 1 (Welshman 63)

New England 2 (Bengtson 15, Nguyen 28)

Not a great result considering they are bottom of the league having won only one game this season. Still collected the three points however so cant complain much

New England 2 (Alston 37, Harbuzi 85)
Seattle 2 (Johnson 6 29)

A good draw against a good team. We need to win matches like this however if I want to maintain being top of the eastern conference.

A decent month going unbeaten but with two draws Sporting Kansas have closed the gap at the top to only 2 points now.