The Rise (Hopefully) of Taymuir FC (Scotland's newest Football Club)

TaymuirFC

Reaction score
*I've never done this before but something I've wanted to try out so here goes....

badge.png

| TAYMUIR FOOTBALL CLUB |

| CLUB |
Taymuir Football Club are a Scottish amateur football club based in Taymuir, Central Scotland. They were founded in 2019 after an agreement was reached between town locals and businesses for a football club to be created as part of a community initiative.

| NAME |
The club name derives directly from the naming of the town. Taymuir. The name of Taymuir was put together by taking the two most focal parts of the town. The ‘Tay’ - the River Tay that runs through the town. The ‘Muir’ – the town was built on an open heather moorland, which in Scotland is called ‘muir’. Despite several suggestions to add a second name, i.e. Town (Taymuir Town), the club name would be Taymuir Football Club.

The club has adopted several nicknames. The most prominent being “The Muirs” for obvious reasons being the name of the town plus the moorland the town was built on. Other nicknames less-frequently used to identify the club include the; Wanderers, Thistles and Pink-Heathers. Younger fans also use the term ‘Hitmen’ due to the likeness of the club’s colour and kit design to the famous wrestling group The Hart Foundation.

| GROUND |
The club will play its home games at Blackwood Park. A hastily put together football ground in the south of the town. The name comes from the unusually black woods to the south of Taymuir, where the ground is situ. In addition to playing home games at the ground, Blackwood Park will also act as a training ground for the club, as well as being used for any Youth and Reserves fixtures necessary in due course. Thanks to local construction companies, four modestly terraced stands were built in quick time.

The capacity of Blackwood Park is exactly 1,399, which doubles as the estimated population of Taymuir. Why an estimated population? When government records were checked for the most recent national census, no figure was returned for Taymuir. As such an estimated average for the local areas is generally accepted. When the club’s founders agreed on a capacity, they requested a place for everyone in the community.

clubinfo.png

| FACILITIES |
The club’s facilities can be described as basic at best, minimalist to most. No youth academy. No training facilities for senior, reserve or youth level. No corporate facilities. What you would expect from an amateur club. Outside the walls of Blackwood Park, you won’t find any property, big or small, club-owned, bar the car park used for match day key-workers. Inside Blackwood Park though, you’ll find the club shop – a miniature sized portacabin; four terraced stands – each with toilets; and a food and drink kiosk – one at opposite diagonal East and West ends of the ground. The club therefore relies on the use of the local Taymuir High School and Sports Centre for the use of their recreational grounds and amenities to compliment their own facilities.

| BADGE |
The club’s badge is a representation of the town and its roots; The thistle is for Scotland. The bridge is the real bridge in Taymuir which crosses the river Tay. The town image is for the town’s rural identity. The Highland Cow also represents the very animals you find on the Taymuir moorland – ‘muir’ – which the town was built on. These images, club name and year date are enclosed by a shield. This identifies the town’s strong community sense. The two stars in the shield are to represent the counties of Angus and Perthshire, the town’s border dispute. Finally, outside the shield is a circle, which serves as a ball shape for football, broken into three points. These represent the North, West and East. The three ‘settlement schemes’ of the town, that come together as one, serving the football club and it’s ground, which lies in the South, outside of the schemes.

| COLOURS |
The club’s colours were chosen with two thoughts in mind – history and identity. After deciding on the design of the badge, those in charge made the decision the predominant colours for the club would be; Black and Pink, with the minor addition of White. The main colours of the badge itself. The history for these colours were; Black - the dark land surrounding the town. Pink - the pink heather moorland the town was built on.

A strange choice, but the identity behind the colour Pink was simple. Any person with a basic knowledge in Scottish football can tell you; Red is Aberdeen. Maroon is Hearts. Green is Celtic or Hibs. Tangerine is Dundee United. So, when the community came together with the plan for Taymuir they wanted the club to have an instant identity. With no other clubs in Scotland known for Pink, the plan for Taymuir is to be just that. Pink.

home.png
away.png

| SUPPORT |
The entirety of Taymuir Football Club’s new-fanbase resides in the town. Given the setup and strong community sense, the fanbase, although small, are very loyal and highly passionate. As they are new to football, expectations are modest. “The Muirs”, as the fans are known, are somewhat temperamental people and given the town’s highly rural and agricultural background, the support base is not affluent at all. Despite this, Taymuir have setup a Club Membership scheme which has become a popular thing in the community and fans help the club through various fundraisers throughout the year.

| FINANCE |
Given the town’s reliance over the years on the agricultural industry, money in Taymuir is not in great supply. In terms of wealth, the town is ranked in the lower ends of the national average. As such, the money that is put into the football club is only used when absolutely required. Setup costs such as club registration, ground development and basic football essentials i.e. kits, equipment and what not were paid for through grants and donations from some of the more affluent individuals in the community. Also, had it not been for the generosity of some local businesses, offering their services on a voluntary basis, there may not have even been a club. Money therefore is very tight.

balance.png

| TEAMS |
Taymuir Football Club operates three teams. The; First Team, Reserves and Under-18s. Taymuirs’ club development plan is to bring new youth recruits into their U-18s, educate and develop their skills and abilities, promote them to the Reserves to gain much needed senior experience, then eventually introduce them to the first team when ready.

| INTRODUCTION TO THE LEAGUE PYRAMID |
After the Scottish football non-league reconstruction of 2019, newly founded Taymuir were admitted to the Caledonian Amateur Football League, which now forms part of tier 10 in Scotland’s football pyramid, the highest tier for Amateur football clubs in Scotland. Despite competition from other more renowned community clubs, to receive entry into the new setup, Taymuir would win the vote taken by the Scottish Football Association.

Adding clubs to the new structure was intended to be simple, placing Taymuir into the correct regional amateur league in tier 10 was not. The main reasoning for this is due to the mix-up that happened when Scotland’s boundaries were adjusted not long ago. It’s thought without visiting the town, Taymuir lies somewhere on the county borders of Angus or Perth and Kinross. How? When the boundary maps were sent to Central Government, each county omitted Taymuir from their records, for whatever reason. Therefore, when the SFA elected to place Taymuir into the most appropriate region, a drawing of lots was used, and they were allocated to the Caledonian Amateur Leagues.

pyramidpath.png

| AMBITION |
As with any club, the ambition for Taymuir is to be the biggest and best club they can. Starting from scratch, as an amateur club, in tier 10 of Scottish football no less, means they know they may only be non-entity part players in the overall football landscape. However, the club’s committee, who’ve put their money into getting Taymuir into the game, have dreams of one-day leading the club into the Professional Leagues. Grand ambitions no-less for a team who lie 6 tiers below that level, a long-term project at best.​

Attachments

• overview2.png
    overview2.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 143
  • overview1.png
    overview1.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
expect-png.505651

| STARTING EXPECTATIONS |

(Caledonian) AMATEUR LEAGUE; 14 Clubs. 26 Games. 1 Promotion Playoff. 3 Relegated.
Expectation; 12th (Relegation)

The Caledonian Amateur Premier League (tier 10) consists of teams deemed to be top amateur clubs from across Central Scotland with high standards being set for admittance to the league. Since the league formation, teams competing in the division have been of a good standard, with clubs winning the Scottish Amateur Cup 9 times. The club’s goal for the season is to remain in the Caledonian Amateur Premier League. They view their maiden year as a chance to build the foundations for the future stability and success of the club.

league.png

(Macron) JUNIOR CUP; 232 Non-League Clubs. 11 Rounds. Winner; Entry to Scottish Cup.
Expectation; 3rd Round.

The Junior Cup is regarded as the top trophy that can be won outside the professional leagues. With entry into the Scottish Cup proper for the winners, a VERY BIG prize is at stake. This cup also offers clubs the hope to make a lot of money. Each round offers the losing club a prize money of £1,000, also going up a thousand per round. With money in short supply in the very low tiers, a good cup run in the Junior Cup is pretty essential.

(Scottish) AMATEUR CUP; 236 Amateur Clubs. 11 Rounds. Winner; Entry to Scottish Cup.
Expectation; Be Competitive.

The Amateur Cup, while not as prestigious as the Junior Cup, is another potential money maker in that the winners also get entry to the Scottish Cup proper. So, winning the cup could lead to very big things. Unlike the Junior Cup however, there is no prize money on offer, except to the two clubs that make the final of the competition. While the number of clubs in the Amateur Cup is higher, the level of opposition is slightly lower, so this Cup realistically offers clubs a better chance of winning and getting that Scottish Cup entry.

(William Turner) CHALLENGE CUP; 64 Caledonian Region Clubs. 6 Rounds.
Expectation; 2nd Round.

The Challenge Cup is a regional cup on offer to the clubs registered with the Caledonian Football Leagues. Open only to those in the area, the cup is probably setup to provide clubs with games that mean more to the fans, given clubs are likely to face other local teams nearby, thus throwing up a few derbies. Unlike the Junior and Amateur Cups, with no entry to the Scottish Cup on offer, and only a few thousand pounds for winning the cup, this is the least attractive cup to win, but a trophy to be won nonetheless.​

Attachments

• expect.png
    expect.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 114
  • expect.png
    expect.png
    320.2 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
breaknews.png

| MANAGER |

The man assigned to create the club’s first-ever team is Jack Lawson. A relative unknown, originally from the Highlands of Scotland. Lawson joins the club with the minimum necessary coaching badges and qualifications, alongside past Sunday league playing experience in the Highland Amateurs. Tasked with assembling a team full of identity, passion and vision. Guiding them to heights never seen-nor imagined by those within the club. Lawson has his goal, but the question for Taymuir is; can he deliver?

| MANAGER EXPECTATIONS & GOALS |

CLUB
Expectations; The Club will support me in my first year as Manager. They will allow me to bring in the necessary players and staff to create a solid platform to build on. They will also be patient with me given my inexperience and lack of knowledge. However, they will also be ambitious to allow the club to grow beyond our reputation as a tier 10 club.

Goals; To put the foundations in place for a stable and successful season. To have my contract extended beyond the first season. To be allowed to complete a coaching course to improve my skills. To create a player development pathway from youth to the seniors.

SQUAD
Expectations; They will share my ambitions for taking the club forward. They’ll abide by the code of conduct I will be implementing. They’ll take on board all coaching and management feedback. They will give 100% in every game for the club and our fans.

Goals; To assemble a squad capable of being the best team in the division within year 1. To retain most of the playing squad over-the-course of the season despite being on Amateur contracts. To create a tactical system which compliments the style of football I want to play with the players abilities. To create a great dressing room atmosphere.

COMPETITIONS
Expectations; The Caley Amateur Premier League won’t be as tough for us as the club’s expectations have made out. The Junior Cup will be tough though and require some luck with the draws. Winning the Amateur Cup will be achievable if we can put a good squad together. As for the Caledonian Challenge Cup, depending on how the other cups go, I’m expecting us to either go far or go out early when thinking about our goals and priorities.

Goals; To win the league and gain Promotion to tier 10 via the Playoff at the first time of asking. To get a good cup run in the Junior Cup so we can make some money as a result. To try and win the Scottish Amateur Cup with a bit of luck. (By winning this and getting entry to the Scottish Cup it could be massive). To be competitive in the Caledonian Challenge Cup – a cup we could go far but given lack of prize/money not something I will be overly concerned with in the overall landscape of the season ahead.​

Attachments

• welcome.png
    welcome.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
| STARTING SQUAD |
Given we’re a brand-new club, we start with a random selection of regens to fill out the Seniors, Reserves and Youth. While the First Team is filled out, I’ve got to add players to the reserves and youths slowly over time when the game populates ‘hidden players’ in the squads. As we’re amateur and in tier 10, any decent players will no doubt be poached from clubs higher up the league pyramid. So, I’m going to need to add the right player.

squad.png

| TRANSFERS |
For the first season only, the Chairman has allowed me to sign 11 new players in addition to the players already signed up on Amateur terms with the club. After I’ve reached 11, the club will only allow me to sign players on a 1 in, 1 out basis. Given the lack of quality, I’ve delved into the market and picked up some rather good players. As we’re an Amateur club, a lot of players, either with previous experience or as youth prospects, in the lower-end of the professional leagues, have agreed to join the club. Some hope for a fresh start at Taymuir, others to use us as a stepping stone back up the leagues. I don’t know this yet, but I soon will, as not long after signing up, some have already left. As expected, we lose our best regen players, sign a new team and a ball hasn’t been kicked!

in1.png
out1.png

| TACTICS |
From my experience in the non-leagues I believe the best way to setup will be to have a solid backline, maintain possession when we have the ball and use counter-attacking pace in my front line to break down the opposition. At this level quality is in short supply and it’s very much about just scoring one more than the opposition. When the game begins I’ll be looking to attack the opposition trying to get the first all important goal. If we’re expected to win, I’ll employ positive/attacking mindsets. If the teams are matched I’ll instead use balanced/positive methods. If otherwise we’re not the better of the two teams, I’ll plump for defensive/balanced. Looking at the players we have, and the situation we’re in, I’m not going to be able to play attractive football for a few years at least. For now, it’s all about results so I’ve opted for this tactic as my go-to this year; 4-2-3-1.

Really, I would rather have more options up front. But at this level, most players don’t have the technical ability. But they do have pace. Committing too many players forward is going to leave me wide open for teams with pace forwards to run onto balls and end up in countless 1-on-1s with my keeper. This however is what I’m going to do at the other end. By using 1 striker with 1 behind and 2 on the wing, I’m hoping to beat opponents down the wing with pace and either go for goal themselves or put it to one of the 3 in the center. With the 2 in midfield playing quite deep, they along with the 1 behind the striker could be the pivotal players in my season. I’m going to need them to be able to break up the opposition, dictate the play in midfield and bring the other players around them into the play. If I’m attacking these two can push forward but still sit deep, and if I’m defending these two plus the 4 behind them should provide enough bodies to stop most attacks.

tactic.png

Attachments

• squad.png
    squad.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
| FIRST EVER MATCH |
According to the club’s schedule our first ever match was scheduled against Brechin Vics. However, given this will be the club’s first ever game, I wanted it to be more of a spectacle, so I pressed ahead to add a friendly prior to this against a proper name in football. Unfortunately given our level there wasn’t much selection and it ended up being a choice between Basel U-21s or Darlington. Therefore, I picked Darlington. To mark the ‘occasion’ I even designed a match programme cover online for the game.

programme.png

I was hoping a game against a professional side would attract a big opening crowd. Around 100 from Taymuir turned up. What I didn’t realise though was the cost of inviting Darlington to open the ground. While the game ended up being a good spectacle for the fans, it was costly for the club. So, we’ve gone from being £450 up to around £13,000 in debt. All for the sake of wanting a bigger game to kick things off in the life of our club. Not the smartest of ideas. In terms of the game itself, we went 2-0 down and looked like it was going to be a hiding. However, the team fought back in the second half and the home support went home happy as a 92nd min equaliser from young Steven Ronald ended our first game 2-2. Debt aside, I’m happy with the outcome. Although the debt is pretty big.

darlington.png

| PRE-SEASON |
As for the rest of the pre-season, I allowed the Assistant Manager to take charge of the games. I only selected the formation for the games, so we could work on improving our familiarity. Given my lack of knowledge at this level and the lack of intensity in friendly games, I can’t say too much on the games itself. We’ve put some good results together hopefully building confidence along with the tactical know-how for the season ahead.

Picking the teams for the friendly games has been a bit of a challenge, deciding who to play, given the circumstances. I don’t really want to be playing players who won’t be here for the season ahead. However, I want to get to know my best players and the team’s strengths and weaknesses, so anyone still at the club on game day has been included for the games, despite knowing in the back of my mind some won’t still be here in the coming days and weeks ahead. Not ideal preparation but that is life in tier 10.

preseason.png

Attachments

• pre-season.png
    pre-season.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 66
  • preseason.png
    preseason.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
| SEASON 1 REVIEW – PART ONE & AUGUST |

Before a ball was kicked, I forgot to include this. It seems the majority of players were happy for me to be the new manager of the Club. Only 1 player out of the entire playing staff was not. I wonder how his career will turn out. :LOL:

unhappychap.png

The odds are in from the Scottish Football Informer. Wow. 1st. The board think we're going to get relegated and want me just to keep the club in the division. lol. I'm confident then that the bookies think we must have one of/if not the best team in the division.

ods.png

First Game of the Season.

game1.png

The first game of the season at home to Giffnock North. I wasn’t sure what to expect. Here we were. When it all matters. How would we cope? A 5-0 win no less with new signing Kameron Stanley scoring 4 goals! After 1 game I was already thinking Stanley was going to be a hero.

stanley.png

...How wrong would I be? No soon after notching 4, he was off to the Conference North in England. I was raging. How could he do this? We’ve only just signed him. Now he’s off. Out of all the players that have left the club this hurt the most. I understand he’s way better than several tiers above us, but why sign just to leave?

Second Game of the Season.

game2.png

Coming out of the next few games and it was clear just how big a blow losing Kameron Stanley would be. Scoring 4 in his only game, our first game, our second game was away to Glasgow University. Despite dominating, an own-goal for both sides looked like causing us to drop points right away after losing Stanley, however, young Ross Ferguson came off the bench and scored a winner with 3 minutes left to play. Maybe this first year wouldn’t be as easy as the first game would make out?

Our first cup draw.

firstcupgame.png

Our third game of the season.

game3.png

Following that, I was worried then that the next game would be that first loss. We were to play Colville Park at home, who are the current Amateur Cup Champions. It was to be a tough game with neither side having an upper hand, however two late strikes from Kyle Rodger (AMC) and Jamie McKenzie (RW) would ensure victory in a 2-0 win, with the second coming in the 89th minute. Despite my initial concern another 3 points.

Second cup draw.

junrcup.png

Fourth game of the season.

game4.png

Our next game was away to ‘goal friendly’ Thorn Athletic. Despite putting a number of wins on the board I was growing concerned the first game may have been a one-off. An early penalty for Thorn quickly confirmed those concerns, however, the keeper I brought into the club in the summer, Alex Crean, saved it! With the game nearing the end, Oliver Kirkpatrick would score a header from point blank range in the 86th minute and we would hold firm thereafter to claim another precious victory.

...thoughts...

Having reviewed the table, going on form, I was starting to get the feeling that we were probably one of the strongest teams in the league. Despite this, Oban Saints, who like pretty much all the teams in this league I knew very little about, were matching us point-for-point. Now without Stanley, a new hero was starting to emerge. This time someone I have a feeling won’t just up-and-leave. Our starting (AMC) Kyle Rodger. 25 years old.

5th and final game of the month. A big game no less.

game5.png

Our final game of August was against Oban Saints no less. An early indication for how the season would pan out surely with both teams tied at the top and with 100% records. In front of a whopping 32 people, clearly our fans didn’t want to travel up to Oban, the titanic collision ensued. We struck the first blow with a quick double from Oliver Kirkpatrick and Connor Higgins to go 2-0 up after 13 minutes. However, Oban clawed back with two goals themselves. With 17 minutes to go, at 2-2, only a bit of magic was going to settle this. Step forward Kyle Rodger. A 23-yard strike into the top corner. Boom. That was enough to give us an important 3-2 win and send us 3 points clear!

gotm.png

tablesep.png

Last edited:
| SEASON 1 REVIEW – PART TWO & SEPTEMBER |

monthyl.png

We start September, top of the league, with a B+ management performance. On the field things are looking very good so far. Off it though, the balance sheet comes in at just under £24,000 in debt. What’s more worrying is that last month our income was just over £1,100. I’m no banking expert but even if my losses were cut to bare minimum, it’s going to take a very long time, if at all, to break even. A good junior cup run is now essential to bring the finance in check. Our expected bank balance after year 3 is a staggering £72,000 in debt. I wasn’t expecting anything like that and I now need help.

money.png

forecast.png

With the transfer window now shut, hopefully, I’ve brought 18 new players in over the course of the summer. 7 have left. 2 of those I signed, Kameron Stanley and Logan Martin, both also left as part of the 7. When I review the squad list for the upcoming game, it’s just dawned on me that of the 16 I’ve picked for the match-day squad; only 1 of those already at the club, Kyle Rodger, is in it. The other 15 are my own signings. Only now is it hitting home how important bringing those new players in was for us. Without them I dread to think how different things might be. I can’t do this every window though.

ins.png
oots.png

Our first game in September was at home to Harestanes. Given our form I was hoping for another win. My concerns about the squad depth were there given how tight the last few games had been. However, it wasn’t needed. We registered 22 shots on goal to their 1. Yes ONE. One of those new signings, Connor Higgins, grabbed two goals and missed a penalty for this third. Kyle Rodger, our sole Taymuirian, who I’ve now made Club Captain got one the scoresheet as well as we rounded off a well-deserved 3-0 win.

game6.png

It’s becoming apparent that games come thick and fast in the amateur leagues. While the season only has 26 league games, with the many cups on offer, some weeks can lead to a packed schedule. The next game lined up was our first cup game. A William Turner Challenge Cup 1st Round away to Milngavie Wanderers. A cup we should do well in, however, as this offers no money until the final, and no Scottish cup prize, a cup that may well end up being a distraction. Anyway, the game ended up being a very tight affair, for the first time quite some time, a game I felt we wouldn’t win. No goals were scored from open play, but that didn’t stop the goals. We took the lead from a Josh MacDonald header from a corner, however Milngavie soon equliased from the penalty spot. Only minutes later a super 28 yard free kick from young Charlie Mulgrew (not THAT one) would give us a 2-1 hard fought win to see us through to the Second Round. Perhaps undeservedly.

game7.png

Four days later it was back to league duty, home to Callander Thistle. A team in the relegation zone and the only team yet to win a game. A sure 3 points. We hammered their goal ending up with a 22-2 shot comparison, but sometimes it’s not enough. Yes, Callander took the lead with a close-range header. They clearly had a game plan to frustrate us with hard work and determination at the back. Kyle Rodger would pull one back towards the end of the first half. Surely, we would break them in the second half? The answer was no. Our first setback of the season as the game ended 1-1. Despite going 7 unbeaten in the league with the draw, I felt it was 2 points dropped. Our rivals won.

game8.png

No time to think about dropped points as we were thrust into the 1st Preliminary Round of the Junior Cup. The most prestigious cup for non-league sides. More importantly a cup that offers us a big financial incentive for our level. After seeing our financial outlook, a good Junior Cup run is now imperative. Luckily, we were drawn at Home to fellow league side Harestanes who we easily beat at the start of the month. I was confident therefore that we would beat them although I was also wary of a drop-in morale because of our last result. Harestanes offered more threat in this game and at half time I was worried at 0-0. For all our play we didn’t look like scoring. Into the second half and it was a team transformed. Young striker Kieran Sweeney bagged 25-minute hat trick, followed by goals for Kyle Rodger and Oliver Gardner to give us a 5-0 win. A great win for us, however all that was important to me and the club was getting through.

missing.png

Outside life in Taymuir, the game in Scotland was looking like going places. Not only had Celtic qualified for the Champions League Group Stages, the Europa League Group Stages also had Scottish life as Rangers AND Aberdeen both made it through. Sitting in 20th spot in the Co-Efficient Rankings, the country needs to get up to 15th spot come the end of the season to ensure a 2nd Champions League spot, and as many teams as possible in Europe, before the introduction of the UEFA Conference League in 2 years.

coeff.png

Our busy September continued with another 2 games in the league. First up was a Home game against Shortlees. It was important for us to get back to winning ways in the league ASAP. Ross Finnie gave us an early lead to which Kyle Rodger soon doubled. Craig Murdoch would pull one back for Shortlees, but we would hold firm thereafter for a 2-1 win. 8 unbeaten now and the media were all speculating when it would end.

game9.png

Following that, we were Away to Goldenhill Amateurs. It seemed this would be the day. Our new star in the making Kyle Rodger had a goal ruled out. Then he missed a penalty! With half hour left, Goldenhill took the lead from the penalty spot. We piled forward but Goldenhill sat back and stood firm, they were insistent on denying us. But finally, Kyle Rodger would get his goal in the 85th minute. The few fans who made the trip went crazy, our unbeaten run goes on as we secure a 1-1 draw on a very tricky afternoon.

game10.png

Lastly in September, a Junior Cup 2nd Preliminary Round clash Away to Broomhouse. In what ended up being a tight affair, little to separate the teams, almost 50-50 chances, Ross Finnie gave us a 1-0 lead before the half time whistle. Knowing how tight this was, I deliberately diverted from our usual attacking philosophy. This worked as the game would peter out to a 1-0 win in which the media would claim was a game marred by a succession of Taymuir fouls to break the play up and ensure there was no rhythm. I’m a little hurt by that comment but honestly, I shouldn’t care. We are through and that’s that!

game11.png

The month ends with the Breaking News that Kyle Rodger is gay. I don’t recall seeing this before in FM. However, that’s the story. He’s apparently had a sit-down interview with The Scottish Football Informer about it all. He reveals with this out of the way he can now fully concentrate on helping the club reach it’s targets for the season. If his form so far was in a state of lacking focus, I can’t wait to see how he performs now. He’s our star player, a local Taymuirian and Club Captain! Potentially, our first cult hero!

kyrd.png

Last edited:
| SEASON 1 REVIEW – PART THREE & OCTOBER |

octmth.png

The board feel I am doing an unbelievable job and am clearly putting a smile on the face of every single supporter and member of the community. Long may it last. We’ve gone from a B+ up to an A+. Highlights include; Delighted with the Club’s Performance in the League, Pleased with convincing 5-0 win in the Junior Cup, and happy with Kyle Rodger’s performances. A negative is our 1-1 draw with Callander.

First up on the pitch for the month is a league game away to Milton. A total of 16 fans attend the game which may very well be the record low so far. Kieran Sweeney wastes no time getting on the scoresheet as we go 1-0 up in the first minute. Not much else happens in the game of noteworthy until Sweeney bags his second early in the 2nd half as we claim another precious 3 points with this 2-0 win to go 10 unbeaten in the league.

gmeoct1.png

10beat.png

Before we get to our next game, one of our key defenders Oliver Gardner is poached by Fylde. I know our players are Amateurs but so much for the transfer window?

octoot1.png

With a change to our defence, we head to Strathclyde University for a 2nd Round Challenge Cup game. On a wet afternoon, it was a hard-fought battle from both sides. We went ahead thanks to Kyle Rodger and by half time Kieran Sweeney had added another two. At 3-0 up I thought the game was over. An error from our replacement defender allowed them back into it with half hour to go and they would eventually get a second. Luckily it was in the 94th minute and too late to grab anything else. A 3-2 win was just enough for us here.

gmeoct2.png

Our next game was scheduled against Campsie who’d climbed up the table to second. However, a waterlogged pitch in Taymuir postponed that. Compared with our hectic September schedule October was very quiet in comparison. However, nothing stays quiet for long in Taymuir. York City now took their turn to poach one of our players, young 20-year-old CM Charlie Mulgrew. Not only was it a blow losing Mulgrew who was firmly in my usual first eleven, but the deal went through at 8:36 am on a Junior Cup gameday!

octoot2.png

Yes just a few hours later, our players were on the team bus and heading for Glasgow Perthshire in our 3rd Preliminary Round Junior Cup game. Far from ideal preparation. Given the circumstances I could sense tension and concern in the air. I really needed to give the players extra belief. It seemed to work. After 9 minutes Kyle Rodger gave us the lead. Then right before HT Kieran Sweeney put us 2 up. All we had to do was see it out. With the game petering away, they got a goal. 87 mins on the clock, 2-1 now. Come on lads, concentrate. Bang. Wild celebrations as the last kick of the ball in the 94th minute they equalise. Penalties here we come. Wait where’s extra time? So in amateurs it’s straight to pens. Ok. I didn’t need any extra tension but here we have it. We go first. 1-0; 1-1; 2-1; 2-2; 3-2; 3-3. Nerves are jangling. 4-3. Phew. 4-4. Eeek. Come on lads. 5-4. I can’t watch. 5-4. ?? It’s over and we’ve won 5-4 on penalties! I don’t know who is more relieved right now? Me, as the football manager, or the Club Chairman, needing the cup money! We get back to Taymuir and find out the Junior Cup first round proper gives us a Home game against Lochore Welfare. A team who are a few tiers higher up and a tricky tie.

gmeoct3.png

With morale boosted from our progress in the cup, we had one last game to see out the month. The rearranged home game in the league against Campsie. By this time, Campsie were just 3 points behind, however because of rearranged fixtures, Oban Saints had gone top of the league, 3 points ahead, albeit having played 2 extra games. We’re still the only unbeaten team in the league but that could all change right here. With pressure on both sides, the game is an even affair in terms of chances and possession. However, one team takes their chances. Us. Kyle Rodger gives us the lead with a penalty. Connor Scullion doubles it with a free kick. Scullion then scores another belting free kick. Recent replacement for Oliver Gardner, Tommy McMonagle then gets a fourth. At HT we are 4-0 up! The second half is then completely uneventful but that’s fine for us because the damage was done early on and we’re delighted with the 4-0 win!

gmeoct4.png

octgotm.png

We were playing catch up now to Oban Saints given the fixture rearrangements but here's how we end the month in the standings..

octtab.png

octtab2.png