joseboy

Reaction score
I decided to start FM 2011 with a very difficult challenge, Scottish 2nd division and part time club, Stenhousemuir. With a squad of pretty poor players and objectives of battling relegation, I knew I'd taken on a very tough challenge but one I thought I could cope with due to my extensive FM experience.

As always, my first thing I do is set up the way I want to play. I never take into account my squad, as I always believe my philosophy is the best way and even if it takes time, I'll find the players to fit the jobs. On this occasion I opted for a flat back 4(2 x FB defend & 2 x CB defend), midfield 3( 2 x BWM with a B2B midfielder playing dead centre) and uo top I went with 3 through the middle, the centre being a TM with the other 2 as AF. I'd play rigid, direct, counter and little creative freedom. Only some allowed to the AF's and B2B CM.

Season 1

My first season was to be a difficult one, staying up by a point on the final day of the season. Spending no cash but bring in no less than 6 players, it was a poor season but still successful. I had given myself a base for the next season and with the addition of a good goalscorer I was hoping I'd make a mark on the division.

Season 2

I signed 5 new players for the season, looking to bolster the squad and again my objective was to steer clear of relegation. Once again I achieved it but only just once more, this time by 4 points. Another not so great season, fraught with defeats but again I hoped I was close to turning the corner. However, come the new season I'd be told again I'd have no cash and a paltry wage budget to steer this team forward. Onwards and upwards I hoped.

Season 3

I decided it was time to search long and hard for talent and I changed my backroom scouting staff. The new guys were finding talent but some outwith my price range unfortunately. Still, I managed to make a few signings that I thought would really take me to a team that could compete. Vincent Pericard, Jonathan Obika, Buba Yohanna, Isaac Osbourne, Thomas Bendiksen. All of whom I was excited about. The new season started and I could see imrpovement but I thought there was more to come and it would just take time for this team to gel. With the objective of steering clear of relegation again, I was very confident of bypassing that. As the season progressed the consistency was excellent and Stenhousemuir, against all odds would lift the 2nd Division title. Was it too soon? Would The Warriors come crashing back to earth with the step up? Only time would tell.

Season 4

With the objective of battling bravely against relegation, I went transfer crazy, bringing in 8 players, all on free transfers. Most notable were Victor Palsson, an Icelandic midfielder, who would be converted to a CB and he would be a mainstay for years to come. Adam Le Fondre, who would write himself into Stenny folklore with his goals, goals, goals!!! Stenny managed to stay up, again by the skin of their teeth, goal difference! I was hoping I would get a little cash to spend for next season, wishful thinking perhaps!!

Season 5

Once again I was to battle relegation and I was given no cash. It was a common occurence by this board to have me battle against crazy odds to stay up. I was enjoying the challenge though. With a pretty settled team, I decided on only 3 signings and ones that would help my style massively. Kieran Agard ST, who was pacey and Benik Afobe another speed merchant would play either side of Adam Le Fondre to supply him with chances and also to spring those opposition defences with lightning quick counters. Stenny would play well above expectation and finish 2nd behind last seasons SPL relegation dogs, Dundee. Not a bad feat. The teams generally coming down were pretty strong and with only 1 team being promoted to the top flight it was going to be difficult to get outta this division.

Season 6

Again with no cash to spend, I opted to steer clear of relegation even though I knew I'd be mid table but the extra 1k per week for wages would not make much difference so I decided not to risk it. St Johnstone were the relegated team this time and they finished by far and away league winners with 20 points clear of 2nd place, which again was Stenny. A good season once more but still way off the pace. I was going stale and was wondering how the **** I could get out this league without cash. My scouts were still finding players but with no cash it was extremely difficult.

Season 7

With the signature of a young Ghanian LB, my first cash signing for 20k I was positive for the season. I also snapped up Milan Jovanic, a very good GK, something I always lacked. St Mirren were the relegated side from the SPL and a team I thought would be far too strong. I started well, undefeated for the first 12 matches, drawing at home to St Mirren along the way but it was a lucky draw, they were strong. Stenny had some blips throughout the season but these were matched by St Mirren's too. On the final day of the season Stenhousemuir would make the big time. Winning the league by a point. A marvellous day in the history of The Warriors and at last I'd made the big time, TV money, sponsorship deals, players wanting to play top flight football could be attracted, I could not wait. My team also went full time, a great day for all Stenny fans to behold.

Season 8

With 50k to spend, my joy soon turned to horror as I just could not compete so I decided to sell my young Ghanian asset for 250k. This cash would help me build. However, an absolute schoolboy error of not checking how much % was made available was going to shock me. 15%!!! Gutted!! A couple of free transfers would join and the season would KO. A plus side was that my regulars seemed to be improving as players so there was some hope. A very impressive 7th place finish would see Stenny safe and hopefully, just maybe the reputation would grow enough to entice some talent.

Season 9

3 major signings for Stenny as they aimed to top last seasons 7th place finish. Valerie Germain ST, Danny Ward AML/ST and the experience of Benoit Assou-Ekotto to replace the outgoing young talent that was Benson. With a good balance and no need to gel, Stenny would see an imrpovement of finishing 5th but unfortunately, just outside of euro qualification which may well have seen a windfall of cash. So, so close.

Season 10

This season would see another 2 arrivals, Prince Buaben on a free and Zdravko Vujovic, both CM who would add steel and some craft. With safe mid table the objective, Stenny would once again outdo their previous season, not only with a 4th place finish but their 1st piece of major silverware, The Scottish Cup, beating both halves of the Old Firm on the way, Rangers 1-0 in the final. I was writing myself into folklore. I was desperate for the new season and a crack at europe. 5 signings were made in the summer, 3 youngsters. Luiz Carlos an 18yo RB from Arsenal, Arjen Koeman an 18 yo ST from VVV and Morten Andersen a 19yo AMC/ST from Notts Forest. Havard Nordveidt CB and Younes Kaboul CB/RB were also brought in.

Season 11

Europe awaited the arrival of Stenny and the task of defeating Stade Malherbe Caen was lying in wait to reach the group stages of the Europa League and a cash windfall. However, before the euro adventure begun, it was over, 2-2 at home and a crushing 3-0 defeat in France. I was gutted but soldiered on to another 4th place finish. Another crack at Europe lay in wait for next term and hopefully this years experience would help.

Season 12

An ageing Gabby Agbonlahor joined the Stenny ranks as did Matias Fernandez GK and these two would add to a growing strength of squad. Maccabi Petach Tikva were up first, losing 2-1 in Israel but winning 2-0 at home would see me one tie from a moneyspinner. As luck would have it, Stenny ran into Inter Milan. The first tie in Milan, 2-0 to Inter. At Ochilview I managed a glorious failure in stunning the Italian giants, beating them 1-0. Still, another season and another hammer blow before my season had begun. However, Stenhousemuir would shock Scottish football by not only splitting The Old Firm, but by lifting the SPL title, by a margin of 8 points over Rangers. Was it a freak? How could they follow this... Champions League group stages lay in wait, would there be cash available? In 12 seasons, from 2nd division part timers to the best team in the land, spending only 20k on transfers...

Season 13

Still with little cash to spend, less than 1m. I decided to use it all for wages to attract some good calibre players. An entry to the CL was mouth watering. ~My group? Old foes, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich and Galatasaray. Undefeated at home, 0-0 with both Inter and Bayern and a 2-1 win over Galatasaray seen me happy although I lost all 3 away matches 1-0. It wasn't a bad performance first time out. A major cash windfall would soften the blow of exit but more was to come. A 2nd consecutive title and another cup win, this time the league cup would see a successful season. Once again, auto CL qualification was exciting.

Season 14

4 major signings that would shape the future of Stenny would arrive, 23 yo ST Vincenzo Vieri from Villa was an explosive striker who would become a fans favourite, Jonas CB, a Spanish 21yo who is now club captain, Mehdi Ghasemzadhi ST, another flying machine who was snapped up from Malmo for 16k and veteran Spanish ace, Javi Martinez CM. These four would be the backbone for years to come. A third consecutive title would arrive for Stenny but before that their euro expedition would see them travel once more to Italy to face Inter, Germany to face Bayern again and this time England for a Battle of Britain v Liverpool. With little expectation, Stenny punched above their weight by beating both Liverpool and Bayern at home and drawing with Inter. However losing all 3 away matches seen then fail to qualify for the last 16 but Europa League was the next expedition. PSV Eindhovenn were the obstacle for Stenny. PSV crushed Stenny 5-0 in Holland and also 2-1 at home and seen a 7-1 thrashing handed out. Vieri finished the season with 21 goals and 27 assists, Mehdi with 12 goals and 14 assists, Martinez 8 goals, 12 assists and Jonas was a rock all season.

Season 15

Once again auto qualification for Europe's elite competition had the Stenny fans excited but so did the arrival of a young Brazilian FB, Mauro, labelled the next Nilton Santos. He was thrown straight in at 18 and he was unbelievably consistent. What an acquisition!! Vieir and Medhi started the season well and Stenny were firing on all cylinders, a 6-0 demolition of Celtic away from home showed this. Hopefully the good form would carry on into europe. Bayern, Zenit and Benfica were the enemies. 0-0 at home to Zenit was worrying, however a 1-1 draw at Bayern held promise, before the double header with Benfica. The trip to Portugal was one worth doing as Stenny came back with 3 points following a 2-1 victory. This was followed by another demolition job, 4-1! Stenny were making their mark. A daunting trip to Russia seen Zenit swept aside 2-1 and the home tie to Bayern seen Bayern win the group with a 1-0 victory against us. So the last 16 was here... Barcelona were ready to crush Stenny!! The first game at Ochilview, Stenny stayed in the tie, drawing 0-0. however, Barca showed their class winning 2-0 at The Camp Nou although it could have been 5 or 6. Stenny would make it 4 titles on the spin.

Season 16

My most defining season, 2025/26. Stenny would again notch up the title, in record breaking fashion. Undefeated all season. winning the league by 26 points. CL seen me come through my group once more, finsihing 2nd behind Barca and in front of HSV and FC Twente. Faced with the familiar faces of Bayern, I exited at the last 16 phase. In October of 2025, I was offered both the Denmark and Uruguay jobs. I took Uruguay. Both had already qualified for the World Cup in 2026. As football would have it, I was in the same group as the Danes. Germany and Cameroon were my other opposition. 0-0 Germany, 2-0 Cameroon and 1-0 Denmark seen Uruguay go through without the defnce being breached. Turkey lay in wait and they were seen off 2-0. The quarters seen Egypt go toe to toe with my boys and once again i was victorious, 2-0. The Semi final was faced with in form South Korea who have 3 players playing for Real Madrid. It showed as it took a 4-3 ET win to reach the final where I'd face the only team I hadn't scored against, Germany and their crappy greyed out players. They were good though but just not good enough as Uruguay lifted the World Cup.

Season 17

I am just about to start. I have resigned from Uruguay to focus on Stenny. It's been a rollercoaster so far. I will update soon.