Reaction score
The Road to Europe

Welcome.

I've been playing FM for a few years now, and I've grown to really enjoy the game. Just like in real life, my worldly experience has been limited. I've really focused on MLS, as I know the players and the league. This save is going to be based on expanding my knowledge of FM, and providing new challenges.

Note - I'm not going to spend a ton of time talking about the workings of the league. If you're interested or are having trouble following me, I will selfishly plug my own guide to the league: Reddit Link. Hopefully, this inspires you to do a save of your own.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goals

Create a Successful European Career -
the number one objective of this save is to make a foothold in Europe. I want to experience the system, and learn to coach beyond the borders of my own country. Just a warning, but I'm going to be picky. At minimum, I'm aiming for a team with a potential for strong youth development - it needs to be located in a decently sized city with high attraction.

Conquer MLS -
to make the move, I need to build reputation. I'll be starting with National rep, which may seem a little high, but consider that there are not many opportunities to build that in the US. I also don't want to burn out, either. This will be the culmination of my MLS knowledge to conquer the league and simply bring home as much silverware as possible.

Coach the USMNT -
My tertiary goal is to coach nationally, by way of the United States. This is something I've never done, and so will be yet another door to open.

**DISCLAIMER** I am using an updated MLS database, that reduces some of the arbitrary restrictions on star players, and makes parity a little better. Don't expect players like Kaka to be completely up to their full potential, however - just a little more realistic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, where do we start?

We'll need a team with strong designated players, because transfer funds are very hard to come by in the FM2015 version of MLS. We'll need a foundation that still has some years left to win trophies. This leads us undoubtedly to the West. A star-studded team like Toronto FC would give us Michael Bradley and Sebastian Giovinco to destroy the league. Similarly, Seattle has one of the best starting 11 available. Los Angeles has Robbie Keane, who should be able to slam goals in consistently.

However, any of those teams would make a somewhat boring save because of their reputation. No, we're going to go somewhere a little more humble..

Sporting Kansas City

View attachment 239820

Yes, we're going to the midwest - right in the smack middle of the country. Sporting Kansas City (or SKC for short) is my local club, and a success story for sports in the United States. Beginning as the Kansas City Wizards, a new ownership group changed the brand and galvanized the youth of city. The current sell-out streak for home games is greater than 50 games.

View attachment 239821

My story begins as a player from the early days of the MLS. My attributes are a little high, but I'm challenging myself in a number of ways here. I'm hoping that this save will leave me with enough experience to start a Journeyman story, and work with a little less. We need to get that national reputation up using the available competitions to find a suitable "Goldilocks" club in Europe.

View attachment 239822

Speaking of competitions, we've got four to work from. The Supporters Shield is your standard points-based title. Most points among both conferences takes the trophy. The MLS Cup is the playoff title at the end of the season, and the more prestigious of the two. The US Cup is the national cup competition and considered unimportant by the board.. however, every title counts, and I'll still be looking to win.

The NACL (Club World Cup qualifier) has not begun, and thus is not displayed below. However, it will be particularly important - the Club World Cup is the best reputation boost available for me, and a win here will be a jump-start for our goals.

View attachment 239823

Our budgets are pretty standard for an MLS team. Keep in mind that allocation funds work differently than your standard transfer budget, and the business side of soccer changes as a result. In addition, there is a salary cap in the MLS - so my payroll is the cumulative total of my salaries, but registration with the league will be far more important. Just because I have money remaining doesn't necessarily mean I can use it.

View attachment 239824

That's it for this post - really looking forward to this story, and I appreciate any comments. I'll be posting about my first changes as manager and the team overall shortly.

January, 2014 - Initial Actions

We're starting in early January, the beginning of the MLS pre-season. With any new save, there's a lot of work to do prior to starting competition. I'll be focusing on the managerial changes that I make, the players, and my tactics. This is going to be pretty large post, so be warned.

Managerial Items

My first actions as head coach involve setting up a suitable training program for all players, changing squad status, and making sure the staff is up to par. In particular, the staffing situation requires change.

I brought in a quality physio, which at my reputation is about a ~14 in Physiotherapy. My first choice with a 19 in the attribute was signed by an expansion team, New York.. which is upsetting to say the least. I seriously doubt I'll have anyone of that quality available for awhile. Another reason to envy Europe.

The coaching staff is pretty strong for this level of play, especially adding in my skills. I'm particularly pleased with my assistant, who will let me delegate a good amount of work. We need a little shoring up, however I can only sign one more coach. I choose Zizi Roberts, who provides a decent rating in ball-control. This lets me reduce the overall workload by having a dedicated "secondary" coach.

View attachment 239819
Our scouting team is in dire straights - I get a newgen and no other personnel. I immediately fire him and bring in four fresh scouts. At this level, I'm just aiming to get something in the ~11 CA/PA attribute range. My head scout should give you some idea of the quality I'm working with.

View attachment 239785

All of these coaches have room to grow, however most are signed on short contracts. This is going to be helpful, because I see the need to replace my physios and head of youth development in particular. There just aren't any decent options available yet, which is going to hurt a little bit this year for injuries and my intake.

The Team

I'm always interested in the players during a story, so I'll be going through each and every one of them. This may be a little tedious for some, so I'll simply BOLD the players on the first team. Strong youth players will receive an asterisk (*). Skip through those for lighter reading.

The first team, before making any changes:

View attachment 239784

Check out the spoilers below to view individual players.

Goalkeepers
Tim Melia - Melia will be my starting keeper, and should serve nicely. His rating isn't great, but his personality and stats should work very well.
Jon Kempin - Kempin is my backup keeper, and also a youth player for the future. He is a decent prospect, but really needs a lot of improvement.
Defender - Right
Chance Myers - Keep an eye on Chance. He's a wonderful right back, and a big reason why I'm focusing on left-sided wingers as I'll discuss later. I'll be doing everything I can to keep him.
Jalil Anibiba - A great defense substitute to have in the 18, as he can play well in the center or right side to hold a lead. He's not starting material at fullback due to technical abilities, but should make do if necessary.
Saad Abdul-Salaam - A young player who is really here to provide depth, I'm not to keen on Saad. Hopefully he can prove me wrong.
Defender - Center
Matt Besler - Our captain and star player, Matt belongs in Europe. Again, I'm going to need him and build around him to win titles, and it is extremely unlikely I will sell him at any price. He's entering his prime now, and should serve the club very well.

Ike Opara -
Ike is a wonderful physical player with a lot of years ahead of him. I'm concerned about injuries, but I will be using him during every possible match. His personality is great, and he will be a strong tutor.
Kevin Ellis - Kevin is a valuable depth player who can play in the center or at the right hand side. He'll be on the bench mostly, however.
Erik Palmer-Brown* - EPB is my strongest youth prospect, and has all the makings of a wonderful player for his country. I'm going to be him playing time where possible.
Defender - Left
Seth Sinovic - While not as strong as chance, Seth should be able to fill arguable the least important team role fairly well. He is a very dependable player, and that should make up for my lack of depth at this position.
Amadou Dia - As a youth prospect that came from previous drafts, I'm hopeful for Dia, but not at all certain. We will see how he develops with playing time as our primary backup.
Defensive Midfielder
Soni Mustivar - We're pretty solid on DMs, and Soni embodies that. He's very strong both mentally and physically, and should be able to handle this position.
Mikey Lopez - Lopez is my one and only generation adidas player, and luckily doesn't count towards my salary cap. He's overpaid, but still has good potential for the league.
Servando Carrasco - Not much worth mentioning here - depth player and will ride the bench unless needed.
Central Midfielder
Benny Feilhaber - Benny is one of our star players, and totally embodies an attacking midfielder. We'll be looking to him to kickstart our offense and provide lots of assists. He is getting a little aged, but I'm hoping to get a lot out of him before his low natural fitness kicks in.

Roger Espinoza -
This is my ball-winning midfielder. Roger is expected to clean up second-balls and I'm excited to see his skills in that area. In addition, he'll be a surprise attacking option coming from deep.
Paulo Nagamura -
Our team veteran is Naga, and he has wonderful abilities. He will be the second choice for all midfield positions, and still has a few years of great soccer left in him.
Attacking Central Midfielder
Krisztian Nemeth - The Hungarian is a natural striker, but he's too good to play second to Dom. Instead, he'll be playing in behind him on the starting 11, where I can make use of his attacking ability. He effectively lets me have a second striker on the pitch while still linking play from the midfield.
Jimmy Medranda - Another good youth prospect, but I'll need to see more before I know his full potential. Still, Jimmy will have lots of opportunity for playing time and so I expect his development to reflect that.
Winger
Graham Zusi - Our vice-captain and another cornerstone of our star midfield. San Zusi can play anywhere, anytime, in an effective way. He'll be playing as an inside-forward on the left hand side to use that right boot, while also giving him a chance to make a difference in the final third.
Bernardo Anor - Our secondary winger, I don't like his left-footedness. However, he should be able to start as a depth player.
Connor Hallisey - Hallisey is a previous draft signing who again may have some ability. I'm hoping to see him improve this year in order to make a decision.
Jacob Peterson - Jake is a good servant to the club in real life, so I have a hard time letting him go. However, he's just not good enough for his salary and I may need that roster spot. We'll see what options are available while continuing his carreer.
Striker
Dom Dwyer - In the real world, Dom scored something like 24 goals in 30 games during this season. I want to let him do that virtually as well, and he'll be our starting option.
To summarize, our defense is strong - I expect a **** of a lot of these players, as long as I can keep them away from injury and international problems that always plague MLS. Our midfield, when used correctly, should be the absolute best in the league. With more depth, this team is the reason why I've chosen SKC to conquer the league.

Tactics

As I'm lacking in right wingers and have a very strong midfield, we're going to be playing an asymmetric formation. This allows me to get all of my star players on the field at once time, and plays to our pace and possession ability. The ideal game will allow us to strangle and overload teams by pushing high up the pitch and winning any second balls.

It's been several months since I've used an asymmetric formation, so I'm taking a bit of a gamble with this.

View attachment 239794

Our secondary tactic will be a simple high pressing 4-3-3, aiming to win the ball back as much as possible. We'll look to cut inside from the wings and effectively switch to a 2-5-3 on offense with overlapping fullbacks.

View attachment 239793

Set pieces should leave us with some scoring chances, with strong takers in Zusi and Feilhaber. Our centerbacks also have decent finishing ability and will be great targets. Penalties leave a little to be desired, with Dwyer as the primary taker.

I've already played about half way through the season, so my next post will discuss the pre-season fixtures, incoming and outgoing transfers, as well as the all important registration date.

Liking the story so far and your reddit post has made me think about a MLS save as it may not have as many rules or be as complex as I have always thought.

March, 2014 - End of Pre-Season

So, the pre-season is over, and I can say that things are looking very well. I'm going to condense information to talk about our friendlies, our transfers, and the registration - the most crucial date in MLS.

Just a note, but the registration date actually occurs a little ways in to the season. So, I'm skipping ahead a little bit to keep things consistent. Don't worry, we'll cover those fixtures later on.

Friendlies - Our first fixtures show a lot of promise, but to be honest I was expecting a bit more. My assistant managed most of these, and of course he used our alternate tactic. Still, this does provide some confidence even if they're against second-tier sides. I particularly like our clean sheets - only conceding in three games out of eleven.

View attachment 239782

Transfers - As it stands, I have 6 player slots available and not a whole lot of cap-space, assuming I don't loan anyone out. This isn't a bad scenario, because really we're just looking for depth at this point. Strikers are necessary, and I'd also like to get some central midfielders available as well. An extra left-back would be useful, if I can find one for cheap. Finally, another goalkeeper can't hurt at this point.

For trades, I made a couple of movements to gather allocation money. I have plenty of domestic players, and I'm not finding a great deal of foreign players that excite me at this point. So, I sell some international slots to desperate teams.

View attachment 239781

View attachment 239780

Regarding players, I'll start with three players brought in from my academy:

Keith Binzler is a right-back with good defensive stats at the tender age of 15. I do wish he had a bit more pace, however - but we'll work on that.

View attachment 239779

Jonathan Osborn is an attacking midfielder with lots of potential, great personality, and good work rate. He has an opportunity to be a strong player in MLS, though not a star.

View attachment 239778

Scott Shaffer is my hottest pick, and has wonderful mental and physical abilities for being 15 years old. I expect him to go very, very far. His personality is also wonderful, although his consistency may be an issue. He may get some playing time.

View attachment 239777

I've also brought in some older players to fill some of those depth areas I spoke about earlier.

Jorge Luiz was brought in on a free transfer. The Brazilian will provide striker depth while also having room for improvement for the future.

View attachment 239776

Justin Mapp was acquired via a trade with Montreal. I probably paid a little too much for him, but I really needed a winger who can fill in for Zusi when on international duty. Mapp is an experienced player who should add to the maturity of the team.

View attachment 239775

View attachment 239774

I'm still a little light in the midfield, but some of my DMs can also rotate if required.

Registration - so, the commissioner has arrived for his yearly shakedown. It's time to make sure we've followed all of the rules correctly.

Our starting registration looked like this:

View attachment 239773

Zusi and Besler are designated players, but we're very light in internationals. In addition, we have extra cap-space available from last year which should allow significant breathing room. I'm making a mental note that I need to save allocation funds for next years registration, but with the trades performed that should not be a problem. I'm also expecting to negotiate down a little bit on a few contracts.

Here's where we are at after the transfers:

View attachment 239770

All looks well! We even have one spot remaining should someone become available that I must have, or if I need to change something during the summer window. The story isn't quite over, however.

Just after the registration, I noticed some very, very interesting players in the waiver draft. Usually you'll only find trash - and won't have enough to time scout effectively. However, two players I simply couldn't let go:

Bradford Jamieson is a striker with incredible personality and stats for his age. I can't see any way that he won't be in Europe some day. Side note - I actually watched him play in the Homegrown game this evening, and he did very well. I picked him immediately.

View attachment 239767

Victor Mansaray is another striker with wonderful stats for his age, and is a "model professional" - just about the BEST personality you can have in a youthful player for development. He's not quite up to par with Brad, but he was simply too much to pass up.

View attachment 239766

Of course, he puts me over my limit of 30 players. So, I very quickly waive Jorge Luiz. This decision might seem a little strange, but I'm always going to favor domestic talent - it costs me less money, it's less risk, and I won't have the opportunity to do work with US players as much in Europe.

And here's the final tally:

View attachment 239765

All in all, I feel good about this window. I could wish for a little more starting depth at midfield and a youthful left back, but I also need to take my opportunities. I'm very, very excited to see how Brad lines up and I'm definitely going to give him some playing time.

Obviously updates are going to slow down as I catch up to the season, but thank you for reading so far. The next update will be at the 1/3 mark of the season, and I'll do a review of how we've got along. If there is a preference that I wait a little longer (perhaps 1/2 season?) just let me know!

Liking the story so far and your reddit post has made me think about a MLS save as it may not have as many rules or be as complex as I have always thought.

Glad to hear it! I certainly recommend it - there's never been a better time!

2014 Season - 1/3

One quick transfer update post-registration - I've traded Jake Peterson and player right's to someone I'm not familiar with for allocation money. Jake was very unlikely to make it in to the first team, and was taking up a chunk of cap space.

View attachment 239075

We opened the season with a spectacular result - a 5 goal smash against Seattle. I consider them to have one of the best (if not the best!) lineups in the league.

View attachment 239074

This outlines our result - the voting for goal of the week was completely filled by SKC...

View attachment 239073

... and so was the team of the week.

View attachment 239072

Just after our victory however, I had my first international callup happen. This is likely to plague us throughout the season, and is my biggest worry with this squad. If we perform well, it will only get worse.

View attachment 239071

One of my youngsters has decided to rebel against a loan deal to our affiliate, Oklahoma Energy FC. Kind of a shame, because his stats would give him first team experience in the lower division. His personality is also perfect for developing on his own.

View attachment 239070

Speaking of youth, Brad grabs his first goal and breaks his first record, all in one. Very, very excited about where he's going.

View attachment 239069

One last note - the injuries are already plaguing us. I'm begging the soccer gods that this isn't going to be an issue for the rest of the season. My first team is already off-and-on due to fixture congestion and international duty, so more downtime really can't happen with this squad. Not pictured, Justin Mapp is also out for three weeks with an ankle injury.

View attachment 239068

Results - how can I describe this as anything other than stellar. We're leading the league by 7 points. We've conceded only 4 goals in 12 games, while scoring 30. I honestly can't believe it. If we can keep up this form and keep our depth, we could get a jump-start to building reputation.

View attachment 239066

Here's the individual fixtures list. We're still early in the season, so match congestion hasn't quite become a factor yet. I'm a little disappointed with the loss to Chicago - they're a mild rival and we really have no reason to be losing to them.

View attachment 239065

We're looking great individually on both sides of the field. Dom Dwyer has 9 goals and 1 assist in 8 games, with 1 sub appearance. Benny has 7 assists already. Zusi is splitting the mix with 5 goals and 6 assist from the left side of the pitch. I'm also very impressed with Chance Myers, who's contributing very effectively to the attack - and has nearly an 8 in his average ratings.

I don't think I need to say much about the defense, considering the goals we've conceded can be counted on one hand.

View attachment 239063

Here's some bonus insight in to our playing statistics as a team:

View attachment 239061

That's all for this evening. While our form is great, we've got to endure now because we're getting in to the tough part of the season. Two competitions haven't even started, so expect a lot of back to back fixtures coming up.

Let me know if this format is working well - happy for any comments or recommendations.

2014 Season 2/3

Early on, I've signed Myers, Nagamura, and Sinovic to new contracts. In doing so, I negotiated about ~50k of free cap space, which should help as we're significantly over right now.

Jamieson has been fighting been about playing time based on one conversation we had, which is very unfortunate. He's actually been in the 18 during almost every game and had several starts, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I've had some success in getting him happy again though after a few matches.

View attachment 238789

I sent out Mansaray on loan to our affiliate. I can't give him much time right now, especially with the need to please Jamieson. Hopefully this appeases him and gives him some starts.

View attachment 238788

Servando Carrasco is traded to Chivas USA for a small amount. I'm happy to get something better than a free transfer, and he wasn't going to make it into the 18 this season barring disaster.

View attachment 238787

I sign a new deal myself. In hindsight, I should have held out honestly. Oh well. I also signed my assistant and our fitness coach to new deals as well, before they start clamoring for more money.

View attachment 238786

As my last bit of transfer news, I bring in Brazilian midfielder Diones. I needed depth here very badly, and he should be able to provide that for this season.

View attachment 238785

Results - Our form has dropped a bit, with some particularly unfortunate losses. The results against Houston and Chicago are disappointing in particular, as they are both rivals - and we should be winning these matches.

View attachment 238784

View attachment 238783

On the other hand, we have a great win versus Portland. They're chasing us up the ladder, so this point swing may be crucial as we near the end of the season.

View attachment 238782

Injuries are killing us. There's no other way to describe it. My first team is getting smashed to pieces. This is just a momentary sample of the downtime we're having. Benny, Chance, and several others are also having spells of injury.

View attachment 238781

In regards to our success, we have several players make it to the All-Star game. We've also set a new record..

View attachment 238780

View attachment 238779

One last specific mention, the US Open Cup has begun.. and we've been knocked out by a lower tier team in the semi-final. The board don't care about it, but I'm not at all happy with the players.

View attachment 238778

Here's the final stack-up. Our results and the league results at the end of the summer have given us a comfortable lead, but I'd still like to do better. My excuse at this point is fixture congestion. We have two international breaks at the end of the season, and we have to either secure or get very close on the shield prior to those.

View attachment 238777

View attachment 238776

Thanks for reading! A couple of requests:

Does anyone have any thoughts on keeping Jamieson happy? He's got plenty of playing time, and he's only 17 years old with a "Hot Prospect" squad status. I'm not sure what to do. I've been asking my captains to talk to him constantly but it doesn't seem to help.

In addition, I've seen other posts where people have resized their screenshots. Any ideas on how I can do that? I'd like to make things a little more viewable.

2014 Season 3/3

Finishing out the season, we're a little closer than I'd like to be in terms of our lead. The international breaks are absolutely killing me, with a huge swath of my squad gone. I'm having to play Jimmy Medranda as striker, and he's really not at all cut for the role. Of my first 18, only 7 players are available.

View attachment 238772

I'm having to play important games with only 3 substitutes. Tim Melia made a novel experience at right back, covering a modest 0.3 KM.

View attachment 238771

In more positive news, we've easily qualified for the quarter-final of the NACL. Here's to hoping we can make it to the CWC for the juicy rep boost.

View attachment 238770

Shafer has taken an absolutely awful injury. It's really unfortunate, because he's stepped up so well for the first team. Krizstian Nemeth has been very unlucky with injuries, and the 16 year old Shafer was really performing.

View attachment 238769

We also managed to set an MLS points record (before winning the shield). It says something that Houston is performing so well that they are in the competition. Our rivalry is really turning up. Shortly after we win the shield with 3 games left in the season to play after a Houston loss.

View attachment 238768

View attachment 238767

Two big victories off the field: the board agrees to increase our average Junior coaching budget, and Jamieson is finally happy again!

View attachment 238765

View attachment 238766

Playoffs - we begin our run out of the East at Columbus. We grab an away victory which is wonderful, and that saves us a 1-1 draw at home. Note the Jamieson goal - he loves big matches.

View attachment 238764

View attachment 238763

I've developed a small crisis at left back. I'm really surprised we've made it this long, but Dia takes an injury which only leaves Roger Espinoza as an alternate, who played there while on a spell in England. I can also switch Chance over, but left back is much less important than right back in my tactic. Unfortunately, Roger gets suspended on the first leg which leaves me very few options.

View attachment 238762

Our conference final versus Chicago opens up with a draw, but we secure two away goals. As mentioned, Roger was sent off early in the second half.

View attachment 238761

The second leg is a smash, which is also good for the fans - beating a minor rival in a big game at home. Dwyer scored a wonderful hat trick, to top things off.

View attachment 238760

The final will take us up against San Jose, with Innocent Emeghara - who is having a killer season for an AI team. If only he played with that consistency (36 apps!) in real life.

View attachment 238758

In an absolute thriller, we go back and forth with the Earthquakes even while dominating possession. Emeghara puts one in the net in the second half which stops the heart a bit, but Jamieson (BASED BRADFORD!!) brings it back in the 89th minute. Absolutely huge goal. Zusi tops off his wonderful season with a double stoppage time winning goal, to bring us the cup.

View attachment 238757

Final Standings - our first season is a success, by winning our two largest available competitions. A US Cup victory would have completed the season, but I'm more than happy to leave that one in the dust. Here's a last look at our competitions:

View attachment 238756

View attachment 238755

Awards & Performance - Understandably, we've got numerous players up for end-of-season recognition. Dwyer gets the golden boot with 25 goals in the league. Jamieson wins the Rookie of the Year, which is very much deserved. Melia gets the goalkeeper of the year award, summing up our wonderful defense. Chance Myers wins Defender of the Year - special note that 3 of 5 selected players were from SKC, with Besler and Opara also nominated.

View attachment 238754

View attachment 238753

View attachment 238752

View attachment 238751

I win the coach of the year award - I'm not sure if this gives me reputation, but I'll take it regardless!

View attachment 238750

For my own choices, I'll line up some of our top performances below:

Third Choice - Chance Myers
This is so close, because Benny Feilhaber and Roger Espinoza have also done so well. Chance has our highest average rating, and has filled out one our most important positions about as best as could be hoped. He wasn't able to bring his offensive prowess into the second and third portions of the season, however, and that's why he's a little lower in the list.
View attachment 238748

Second Choice - Graham Zusi
Zus has played all over the field, contributing very well to our attack with 11 goals and 15 assists. I think I could still see better form from him, but as the linchpin of our offense he is critical to our success. His positional ability means I can fill just about anywhere I want offensively with a star player.
View attachment 238747

First Choice - Dom Dwyer
There's no doubt with 28 goals across 33 starts, Dom has been huge for us. I could've wished for a little more consistency, but he's doing everything he can with his stats. He has a few more years before Brad will overtake him to beat even more records.
View attachment 238746

Rookie Pick - Bradford Jamieson
It has to be him, given the award he won and his pure heroics in the MLS Cup final. It's been up and down in fighting him off the field, but he's put in a performance regardless. No doubt in my mind that he is going to be a huge player in the future.
View attachment 238745

Honorable Mention - Scott Shafer
This could have been so many players, and I would have liked to bring in another defender to recognize the minuscule amount of goals we found in our net. However, Shafer was on track to win the Rookie award over Brad, but unfortunately injury cut that short. Over 15 apps and 3 substitutions, he recorded our second highest average rating along with 2 goals and 7 assists at the tender age of 16.

View attachment 238743

One season down so far. We'll see if this results in any job offers - not that I'm expecting to find the right club just yet. I have doubts about our ability to repeat this performance, but we'll go in to the off-season expecting just that.

One more thought - I may change the format to only report on half seasons, just to save me some typing. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Hi all - haven't had much of a response to this thus far. Should I continue with the story? Let me know!

Yeah keep it up for the photos once you have uploaded them double click on them and then you can re size and relocate them.

Also as a Dynamo fan not happy you beat them to the shield but comgrats

Last edited:
Hi all - haven't had much of a response to this thus far. Should I continue with the story? Let me know!

Absolutely! I find the MLS interesting too but always struggle with the structure and rules myself, so nice to see someone else's take on it. :D

I think semi-seasonal updates would be just fine.

really enjoying this :) keep it up!

Thanks for the replies, and the tip about resizing images. It sounds like there's definitely some interest. I actually just received a very interesting offer..

View attachment 238460

Really surprised, because this is a HUGE team - I really didn't think they would approach me so fast. I'm not sure if I want to take it, because it's a jump immediately to a large team in the highest rep. league in the world.

Any thoughts? Keep going at SKC and hold out for a more suitable european team, or go straight for the moon with Atletico?

Difficult decision. AM are obviously an ambitious club who want to really challenge the Big Two, so it could end up hurting your career instead if you don't achieve some results quickly...

Difficult decision. AM are obviously an ambitious club who want to really challenge the Big Two, so it could end up hurting your career instead if you don't achieve some results quickly...

I agree. Thinking about it, i'd rather aim for something more humble - a championship team perhaps. I'll be posting the transfer window/preseason tonight.

Think staying is a good idea doing well at Kansas City interesting to see how the NACL will go for you

2015 Season - Preseason and Transfers

Incoming Transfers - From the draft, we've brought in five players. Stand outs include Jimmy Evans who could grow into a great player, and Seth Knott whom my scouts lied to me about (an he had such great stats!). Neither were my first picks (there was an absolute wonderkid as the first pick by US regen standards).

View attachment 238393

View attachment 238392

Three others came from the supplemental draft: Bryan Walsh, Greg Allaway, and David Showers (I sure hope he does..)

View attachment 238396

View attachment 238395

View attachment 238394

I've signed three players from my academy. Juan Perez and Jeff James were on their final years, so best to sign them now and waive them if they don't pan out. Jeff Miller has OK potential (again scouts letting me down) and will fill in as the third/fourth string at LB.

View attachment 238399

View attachment 238398

View attachment 238397

Our last incoming player joins us via loan from our affiliate, Fluminense. Ygor Nogueira will be a backup at CB when required due to international duties.

View attachment 238400

Outgoing Transfers - Some of you may be thinking that I'm well over the 30-player limit, and you would be right. For starters, I've let Justin Mapp's contract expire.

Jalil, who was my super-sub last year, has been drafted for the expansion teams. I'll have trouble filling his position. Victor Mansaray was also drafted - I wish him luck and hopefully more playing time. Both players are hard to let go, but the draft could've been worse for us.

View attachment 238388

View attachment 238387

Rounding it out, I've waived Saad Abdul-Salaam and Seth Knott. Good luck to them both.

View attachment 238404

Finally, I've loaned out Greg Allaway, Juan Perez, Jonathan Osborn, and Jeff James to OKC Energy, our affiliate. This allows me to keep developed some of my best youths while staying under the 30 player limit.

Trades - Two trades came through - both involving an international slot for 1 year in exchange for 300k of allocation money. I'll spend my savings some day, I promise!

View attachment 238402

View attachment 238401

Registration - Our final tally gets us well under the cap limit, which is very surprising. I've left one slot open to recall a loan player if required.

View attachment 238403

Other Notes - Some other occurrences.. first, as mentioned previously I was approached by Atletico Madrid. I attended the interview but eventually declined. Since then, the job offers have been rolling in - notable clubs include Southampton and OM. The board has offered to upgrade our training facilities and youth facilities in return for me staying, which is a win-win.

View attachment 238391

View attachment 238389

During the offseason, Shaffer one the USA Young Player of the Year award, which is wonderful. Hoping he continues to impress.

View attachment 238390

Pre-Season - Six games, six wins against easy teams. We'll kick-off the season with two matches for the NACL Quarter Final on our way to the CWC.

View attachment 238405

Last edited:
Sorry about the delay - should have a new post of the 2015 mid-season either tomorrow or Friday.

2015 Season - Midseason Update

So, I've played half-way through the season and our results are so far a little disappointing. We're definitely not in the same form as last year - although to be fair, that's a hard goal to live up to. Our defense has fallen off a little, but the real factor is our attacking prowess. We're just not being particularly proficient in front of goal, and wasting a lot of chances.

In particular, Dom Dwyer is not scoring. He played nearly 6 games towards the end without scoring a goal up until our US Open Cup match. I would be playing Brad, but both he and Shaffer are in the U20 world cup for what seems like the whole summer.

View attachment 237247

As you can see, international breaks are really hurting my first team squad. The season began that way and is showing no signs of letting up in that regard.

View attachment 237245

Another issue is that Brad is now ****** at me again. I had to promise him to win the cup for him to stay (we won it last time - he scored the saving goal in stoppage time!! WTF?)

View attachment 237244

NACL - After winning in the semi-finals over Leon, we progressed to the final round of the NACL. CF America was our opponent, and they have a very, very good team. The away game was absolutely crucial that was atleast retain parity to keep up with them on away goals.

View attachment 237248

And we managed to keep it even! Even better, those two goals are very important in this competition, especially with their attacking threat. Paulo Nagamura scored the tying goal in the 90th minute to put us in a great spot. Side note - check out that attendance. 105,000 people? Holy ****.

Unfortunately, Matt Besler was injured during the game - which means my captain is gone for an extremely important match. Keep in mind, the CWC is the largest rep. boost available to any North American team.

View attachment 237241

So, the second leg came back home. We either have to win or keep their scoring to a minimum in a draw.

View attachment 237240

And we've done it! The 1-1 draw at home puts us through on away goals. I honestly wasn't paying enough attention in game, and saved my subs for extra time - but looks like we were just fine without them. We're in the club world cup at the end of the year!

View attachment 237239

Summary - I've included the fixture list below, which shows some our more disappointing league matches. The Colorado match in particular was painful to take against a nearby rival. Really need to get some more goals going on for the second half of the season if we're going to round up the silverware once more.

View attachment 237238

Here's the competition overview. Note that New York is beating us in the league with a game in hand. We play them very shortly, and really need to win that match for a point swing. Not to beat a dead horse, but that 18 goals number needs to increase, without a doubt.

In the US Open Cup, we're on to the quarter final - but we played it way too close against lesser teams. The Sounders are going to be a good match (Obafemi Martins is on FIRE) so we need to step it up.

View attachment 237237

Thanks for reading!

2015 Season - End of Year Update

Due to the goal drought, I've decided to bring an alternate tactic - getting rid of wingers entirely. With this formation, I can bring Dwyer and Jamieson in the game at the same time.

View attachment 236577

We have immediate success with this formation, taking a VERY good win against Seattle in the US Open Cup quarterfinals.

View attachment 236575

...and further success in the semis.

View attachment 236573

Speaking of non-league competitions, we also qualify out of the NACL for next years competitions. I'll also take this opportunity to talk about how annoying it is to have competitions that occur yearly, but individually span over 2 years.

View attachment 236572

Unfortunately, we happen to lose out in the US Cup finals against Portland. It's my least important competition, but also one that I have yet to take home any silverware from. Very disappointed with this.

View attachment 236570

Within the league, we manage to really turn our season in to something special and clinch the title with four games in hand. I use the last fixtures of the season to give my youth players the full 90.

View attachment 236569

Moving in to the playoffs, we overcome Portland 3-1 during the semi-finals. They've been a team that has really given me trouble throughout this season, so very glad to move past them. Zusi has two extremely late goals to pull us through.

View attachment 236567View attachment 236566

We encounter a very similar story with Houston, but manage to triumph in the end. Just as in the real world, the Houston-SKC playoff rivalry continues to thrill with an extra time winner from Dom Dwyer.

View attachment 236565View attachment 236564

For the final, we face midwest rivals Chicago to take the cup. Yet again, an extra-time goal from youngster Scott Shaffer wins our second consecutive title!

View attachment 236563

Somehow, I've failed to win my promise for Brad? I really don't understand this. Regardless, we're still victors and that won't detract from it.

View attachment 236562

Club World Cup - Our final competition this year takes us to the CWC, to play some of the best teams in the world. The quarter finals puts us against Saitama from Japan, which we're able to win convincingly.

View attachment 236561

In the semi-final draw, we have to somehow overcome Juventus. We're extreme outsiders to win the game, but I'm still hopeful we can take it to extra time and do some magic.

View attachment 236557

Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be. They were simply on another level than any of our first team players. Still, only conceding one goal is a big accomplishment in my mind. The fans, board, and even the other coach were impressed by the result nonetheless.

We snag third place in the tournament to cap off our season, which I'm more than content with.

View attachment 236556

Awards - I'll save some of the text and show our awards this season, which were surprisingly less than last season. I manage to pick up a second managerial trophy as well.

View attachment 236553View attachment 236554View attachment 236552

My own list starts with Scott Shaffer, as our third-best player in this season. The 17 year old continued to impress and turned up for us in some extremely important matches.

View attachment 236550

For second place, Chance Myers is once again extremely consistent in his approach with a 7.39 average rating. I really couldn't ask for much more at his price.

View attachment 236548

First place has to be Dom Dwyer, with 33 goals and 6 assists across all competitions. I needed him to step up for the second half of the season, and he did so with amazing results. He's a wonderful individual striker and doesn't need much help to get an offensive result. Oh, and he's also declared for the US now! Sorry, England!

View attachment 236546

The Young Player of the Year is Bradford Jamieson, who has grown so much that I've changed tactics just to fit him in the first team. Keeping him happy hasn't been easy, but his 17 goals and 9 assists even with limited playing time in the early season has made it all worthwhile.

View attachment 236545

Special mention to Ygor Nogueira, our CB on loan from Fluminese. He stepped up very well with a 7.15 average rating across 25 apps, and held down the back line during international duties.

I've listed the team as a whole (minus our loaned youngsters), our competition stats, and our second-half schedule below for those interested.

View attachment 236542

View attachment 236541

View attachment 236540

Next Steps - With two consecutive runs against all titles in the league and an NACL triumph, I consider the goal of 'Conquering MLS' achieved.

View attachment 236538

I leave Sporting Kansas City with every chance and hope of success in the future. There have been a couple of good opportunities, but I wanted to finish out the season first, and put the club in a good spot. So, the question is.. where will I go next?