The rollercoaster of non-league football

Reaction score
I recently started a game with Alfreton Town FC of the Blue Square North. I must admit I'd never heard of the place but a quick google search told me they are in Derbyshire and there local rivals in Mansfield.

Media prediction was to win the BSN and with a wage budget of 7k / week I thought it was a good possibility. This is the first time I have ever went this low down in the leagues so didnt know anything about players. I signed a shed load of free's and a couple of loans.

Good start to the season saw me get to the first round of the FA cup where I drew Southampton. I was beaten 1-0 but brought in much needed revenue. With 10 matches left I was about 8 points back in third but a late push and a 10 match winning streak saw we bring home the league title. Paul Clayton and Rafael Nade scored 40 odd goals between them.

I'm half way through my first season in the BSP. Media prediction was 20th and the board wanted me to battle bravely against relegation. Another large dip into the free transfers market and I picked up some terrific youth players who had been released. The pick of the bunch being Harry Bunn and Jake Bidwell. Home friendly victories against Charlton and Southampton brought in the crowds and got confidence up.

I had a great start and was in the play-offs with games games gone. I had a slump form 3-4 games and then a resurgence which saw me as high as third. A further slump has left me five points behind the play-offs with 13 matches left. I was beaten 2-1 at home by Plymouth in the FA cup first round and a third round defeat by altrincham from the FA Vase left a bitter taste in the mouth.

I would love to make the play-off's but it will be a long shot. I'm building for next season and have made further free transfers from Italy and trying to broaden my scouting range across Europe.

Whilst all this has been happening the chairman was trying to sell. After 4 failed takeover bids, including one from an Arab Tycoon who promised to invest £13m, the club was finally taken over by a board member who stated their would be no fresh investment. I really need to make the club full time and improve facilities to improve the players and get a good youth system in place. I have also asked numerous times for a parent club but the board haven't found one.

I was sceptical of going into non-league football but I must admit I have enjoyed this game as much as any other I have ever had on FM.