Scott Dickson

Reaction score
A massive Merry Christmas to all my fellow Football Manager Players out there. Like many players, I received this years game for Christmas and, after many previous failed attempts, decided to give the blogging of my managerial journey another go.

I'll look to include links to my Youtube videos of the games where possible for you to view results, comment on where I am going wrong, and what can be improved.

As a lifelong St Mirren fan, I've chosen them as the football team I will manage. So, some background information on St Mirren Football Club.

Founded in 1877, St Mirren are a professional Scottish club currently playing in the Ladbrokes Scottish Championship. The club have suffered a difficult period in recent times after being relegated from Scotland's Top Flight in 2015. After a poor start which saw St Mirren have 4 points in December 2016 (14 points from safety) St Mirren pulled off The Great Escape. On the final day of the season. St Mirren required a point against Hibernian (who had already been crowned league winners) to secure safety. A goal from Rory Loy to equalise in the 64th minute of the game saw St Mirren seal safety. St Mirren Football Club also competed in the Irn Bru Cup, reaching the final against Dundee United, where they were narrowly beaten 2-1. St Mirren fans are, understandably looking for improved performances in the new season.

The club play their games at the Paisley 2021 Stadium and posses good training facilities and good youth facilities. The Clubs training ground is in Ralston. The club also has adequate junior coaching and above average youth recruitment network. The club is affectionately known as The Buddies and retains a fierce rivalry with Greenock Morton.

As a club which enjoyed its best spells of success during the 2000's and their last competition win coming as recently as 2013. The Buddies are a club with a growing history. St Mirren have won the Scottish Cup on 3 occasions in 1926, 1959 and 1987 and have finished runners up on three occasions. They have won the Betfred League Cup on one occasion in 2013 and finished runners up a further two times. They have won the 2nd tier of Scottish Football in 1968, 1977, 2000, and 2006 and runners up on 2 occasions. They also won the Irn Bru Cup in 2006 and have finished runners up on two occasions.

Now for my managerial background and my own playing style. I've chosen to set my coaching badge as Continental Pro Licence and my past playing experience as an International Footballer on a global level. The reason for this is, while I have played the previous FM games, I'd like to gain experience at playing the new one first before starting to make things more difficult. Like the previous versions I have aimed my style around youth development. I aim to use St Mirren's youth facilities to develop young players into first team stars - leading to big money moves or progressing my own team.

St Mirren Press Conference

BBC Sport Scotland: So Scott, you stand here as the new St Mirren manager. How do you feel?

Scott: Well being a life-long fan, I can't stop myself from smiling. I've thought about this moment since I was a kid. I've been in constant contact with the club's board since I hung up my boots and Jack Ross left the club.

BBC Sport Scotland: You join the club after they narrowly survived the threat of relegation. Many believe that a club of St Mirren's stature should never have been in that position. How do you intent to manage the club to ensure that results start changing for the club and things start progressing?

Scott: Well Jack left the club in good position. He turned a 14 point deficit around and improved squad moral. I've inherited Jack's squad and hope to continue to build on the foundations that he built. I've retained Jack's backroom staff to allow this transition to be as smooth as possible, and continuity of training continues. Where I will be looking to improve things is within the scouting centre, and looking to improve the team going forward and build for the future This club has great youth facilities and has become known in Scotland for producing fine talented players. I have a few secrets that I will be looking to unleash as well, but I can't tell you those. You'll just need to see for yourself as the season unfolds.

BBC Sport Scotland: Scott, thank you for your time today, we know you are very busy with team preparations, so we will leave you to get started. Thank you very much for your time today, and good luck for the forthcoming season!

Scott: Thank you. Bye.

Demitriou In Dreamland

*After training*

Scott: Stelios, can I have a word with you in my office?

Stelios: Sure gaffer.

Scott: Please, take a seat

*Stelios sits down opposite Scott*

Scott: I just wanted to personally congratulate you on winning your first cap for Cyprus. Your hard work last season has paid off.

Stelios: Thanks gaffer. I've been working really hard, and I'm glad its starting to show in my performances.

Scott: Keep up the good work, and I'm sure you'll see many more caps!

So Far So Good

Early friendly fixtures going well - albeit playing against lower league opposition. Strikers, especially Reilly, scoring plenty of goals.

First round of the IRN-BRU cup sees St Mirren at home to Partick Thistle U20's

The First Game - Betfred Cup Game 1 - Livingston (H)

My first managerial game saw me take on Livingston at home. Livingston are the newly promoted side to the Ladbrokes Championship, after a dominant league campaign. Although St Mirren are the favourites, Livingston will provide a tough test for my St Mirren side. Going with my favoured 4-2-3-1 formation, I easily ran over the top of Livi 6-3.

Gavin Reilly proved to be a cut above the rest, grabbing 5 goals - with Josh Todd getting his name on the score-sheet for St Mirren's 6th goal. Link for footage will be posted at the conclusion of the first month.

This Weeks Star Man: Gavin Reilly

Team's Top Goalscorers

1. Gavin Reilly (5)
  2. Josh Todd (1)

Bedfred Cup - Game 2 - Montrose (A)

The second game in the Betfred Cup saw St Mirren away to Montrose. Another dominant performance saw The Buddies run out 1-5 winners. St Mirren started well, with Gavin Reilly scoring inside the first 2 minutes. Lewis Morgan quickly doubled the lead with a goal less then a minute later. The Buddies didn't have to wait long before they were 0-3 ahead, with captain Stephen McGinn grabbing his first.

Montrose pulled one back 8 minutes later with Daryl Nicol's effort to make the scoring 1-3. 4 minutes later St Mirren had a penalty, and captain Stephen McGinn stepped up to calmly finish and make it 1-4. Gavin Reilly took his match total to 2, and 7 for the season, with his effort. Taking The Buddies in 1-5 at half time.

No goal in the second half, but Reilly did come close to a hat-rick with an effort that hit the bar. St Mirren still sitting top of their group and Motherwell are up next.

Club captain Stephen McGinn was this weeks star man, expertly controlling the midfield whilst grabbing himself 2 goals to the goods. Gavin Reilly once again with another great performance in front of goal to get himself a brace.

This Week's Star Man: Stephen McGinn

Team's Top Goalscorers
  1. Gavin Reilly (7)
  2. Stephen McGinn (2)
  3. Lewis Morgan (1)
  4. Josh Todd (1)

Bedfred Cup Game 3 - Motherwell (H)

Game 3 saw St Mirren host Premier League outfit Motherwell at the Paisley 2021 Stadium. St Mirren took an early 2 goal lead with a double from this weeks star man, Cammy Smith. Motherwell showed their quality to pull the game level. With no winner in the 90 minutes, the game went straight to penalties - Motherwell running out 4-5 winners and taking the 2 extra points to go 1 point behind St Mirren in the group, with a game in hand.

Star Man This Week: Cammy Smith

Team's Top Goalscorers
  1. Gavin Reilly (7)
  2. Stephen McGinn (2)
  3. Cammy Smith (2)
  4. Lewis Morgan (1)
  5. Josh Todd (1)

Betfred Cup Game 4 - Berwick (A)

The fourth and final game of the Betfred Cup Group Stage saw my St Mirren side take on Berwick away from home. A win for The Buddies would see them through to the next round of the cup, regardless of Motherwell's result.
Buddies in-form striker Gavin Reilly got the Saints of to a flying start after 27 minutes , before turning provider for Cammy Smiths 31st minute goal. Reilly grabbed his second of the game shortly before half time to take the score to 0-3 to St Mirren.

Marcus Godinho' needless swipe at Lewis Morgan in the 60th minute saw him see his second yellow card of the game, and an early bath. Cammy Smith rounded off the afternoon with his second of the game to take the score to 0-4.

Motherwell's draw with Livingston, with Livi winning on penalties saw St Mirren finish top of Betfred Cup Group A by a single point. The Buddies showed a superior class in front of goal by finding the net 17 times, although the 6 goals conceded will give me something to think about.

The next game is the league opener to Falkirk at home. It will be interesting to see how my team fares in the season opener.
This Week's Star Man: Gavin Reilly

Cammy Smith gave Gavin a run for his money this week with his brace, but the movement of Reilly, his double and his assist made him this weeks star man for the Buddies.

Team's Top Goalscorers

1. Gavin Reilly (9)
  2. Cammy Smith (4)
  3. Stephen McGinn (2)
  4. Lewis Morgan (1)
  5. Josh Todd (1)

Ladbrokes Championship Game 1 - Falkirk (H)

St Mirren kicked off their season with a home game against Falkirk. Cammy Smith put St Mirren ahead with his 31st minute goal, before James Craigen quickly pulled Falkirk level 9 minutes later.

Gavin Reilly continuing his goal-scoring form put St Mirren ahead again after half time - 2-1 St Mirren. St Mirren hero Rory Loy leveled for The Bairns 12 minutes later to tie the game at 2-2.

St Mirren weren't finished there though as in-form winger, Lewis Morgan won the game for The Buddies with his 72nd minute effort.
This Week's Star Man: Lewis Morgan

Morgan's pace down the wing called all sorts of bother for the Falkirk defense, which proved vital in allowing Reilly to score. Morgan's goal sealed a man of the match performance.

The performances put in by Morgan, have drawn the attention of Southampton, with Pellegrino enquiring about the young St Mirren winger

Team's Top Goalscorers
  1. Gavin Reilly (10)
  2. Cammy Smith (5)
  3. Lewis Morgan (2)
  4. Stephen McGinn (2)
  5. Josh Todd (1)

Betfred Cup Second Round - Hamilton (H)

St Mirren's fine performances in the Betfred Cup Group stages earned them a home tie against Premiership side, Hamilton Academical. Hamilton were strong favourites to win the tie and progress to the Quarter Finals.

However, it was St Mirren who started early, with Cammy Smith scoring within the first 6 minutes to take the home side 1-0 up. Captain McGinn made it 2-0 8 minutes later. While goals from Morgan (26th minute), McGinn (31st minute) and Reilly (36th minute) took the Paisley side 5-0 up at half time.

With the game well and truly over, Hamilton could only salvage a single goal through Ronan Hughes in the 61st minute. Controversy struck the game late on with St Mirren left back Stelios Demitriou getting sent off - a decision later overturned when contested by the St Mirren manager.

St Mirren are now through to the Quarter Finals of the competition where they will play Championship side Dunfermline away from home.

Captain McGinn led by example with his brace, and assist against Hamilton. The St Mirren academy graduate proving a vital player on his second spell with the Paisley side.

Team's Top Goalscorers
  1. Gavin Reilly - 11
  2. Cammy Smith - 6
  3. Stephen McGinn - 4
  4. Lewis Morgan - 3
  5. Josh Todd - 1

Ladbrokes Championship Game 2 - Greenock Morton (A)

Derby Days. Fans love them. Players relish them. It's a chance to get bragging rights over your rivals until the next game. Until last season, St Mirren hadn't lost a game in 17 years to Morton, then the Greenock side put 3 past them. St Mirren responded towards the end of the season. Comfortably beating the Greenock side 1-4 at Cappielow on their road to safety.

This was the first derby game of the season, and a chance to get one over early, as well as secure some valuable points.

St Mirren started quickly, with Shadow Striker Smith grabbing a quick brace (19th and 20th minutes). Southampton target, Morgan made it 0-3 before the end of the first half.

Adam Frizzell sparked some life into Morton by putting the ball past keeper Samson to make it 1-3. With winger Morgan going off injured, Scott was forced to bring on 18 year old Lewis Morrison. The faith was returned as Lewis put the final nail in the Greenock coffin in the 89th minute

Morton 1-4 St Mirren

Despite Smith getting two goals, it was Morgan who made the difference with his assist and goal. It will be hard to hold onto this man for the remainder of the season.

Team's Top Goalscorers
  1. Gavin Reilly - 11
  2. Cammy Smith - 8
  3. Stephen McGinn - 4
  4. Lewis Morgan - 4
  5. Josh Todd - 1
  6. Lewis Morrison - 1

IRN-BRU Cup 1st Round - Partick Thistle U20's

Last season's beaten finalists St Mirren hosted Partick Thistle's U20's squad for the first round of the cup. Manager Dickson made a few changes to the squad to maintain sharpness and fitness, 9 changes made to the squad that beat Morton the previous fixture.

Goals from Smith, Ross Stewart (Striker), Kirkpartick and Morgan all in the first half saw St Mirren run out 4-0 winners. Debut goals from Kirckpartick and Stewart, as well as Morrison in the previous game added 3 new goalscorers to St Mirren's list of names.

Fast becoming a habit, Lewis Morgan has now created 8 goals in 9 games (including friendlies).

Team's Top Goalscorers
  1. Gavin Reilly - 11
  2. Cammy Smith - 9
  3. Lewis Morgan - 5
  4. Stephen McGinn - 4
  5. Josh Todd - 1
  6. Lewis Morrison - 1
  7. Ross Stewart - 1
  8. Jordan Kirkpatrick - 1

Ladbrokes Championship Game 3 - Livingston (A)

Game 3 of the Ladbrokes Championship saw St Mirren away to Livingston. Ian McShane scored his first goal for St Mirren since his free transfer move from Ross County. The 38th minute free kick thundered into the top left of Neil Alexander's goal from the edge of the penalty area.

Seconds later it was 0-2, as Cammy Smith stooped low to meet Josh Todd's assist. The shadow striker continuing his good vein of form.

Gavin Reilly collected the ball just inside the Livingston half in the second half and ran towards the Livingston goal.Reilly passed to C. Smith to slipped the ball to Lewis Morgan on the edge of the box. Lewis drilled a low cross across the face of goal and Gavin Reilly was there to meet it to make it 0-3.

It was 0-4 less than 10 minutes later when Gavin Reilly capitialised on a slack passback from the Livingston defense. St Mirren passed the ball around well until a loose pass fell to McMillan. His slack pass fell to Reilly who slid it passed Alexander

There was a late consolation goal for Livingston when a long Penrice pass found Macklin. Macklin crossed the ball for Mullen to headed the ball in. The game ended 1-4 and the Buddies stay top of the league.

View attachment 72751View attachment 72750View attachment 72749

Team's Top Goalscorers

1. [*=left]Gavin Reilly - 13
    [*=left]Cammy Smith - 10
    [*=left]Lewis Morgan - 5
    [*=left]Stephen McGinn - 4
    [*=left]Josh Todd - 1
    [*=left]Lewis Morrison - 1
    [*=left]Ross Stewart - 1
    [*=left]Jordan Kirkpatrick - 1
    [*=left]Ian McShane - 1

Ladbrokes Championship game 4 - Dundee United (H)

Gavin Reilly scored in either half to see off Dundee United in a 2-0 win on gameday 4. St Mirren still top of the league

Team's Top Goalscorers
  1. Gavin Reilly - 15
  2. Cammy Smith - 10
  3. Lewis Morgan - 5
  4. Stephen McGinn - 4
  5. Josh Todd - 1
  6. Lewis Morrison - 1
  7. Ross Stewart - 1
  8. Jordan Kirkpatrick - 1
  9. Ian McShane - 1

Ladbrokes Championship Game 5 - Inverness (H)

View attachment 72743

A 4-2 win for St Mirren sees them continue their fine form to stay top of the league. Goals from St Mirren's Reilly, Morgan, Todd and C. Smith.

View attachment 72742View attachment 72741

Team's Top Goalscorers
  1. Gavin Reilly - 16
  2. Cammy Smith - 11
  3. Lewis Morgan - 6
  4. Stephen McGinn - 4
  5. Josh Todd - 2
  6. Lewis Morrison
  7. Ross Stewart
  8. Jordan Kirkpatrick
  9. Ian McShane

Current League and Cup Fixtures

In order to get the blog up to speed with where I am in my game I'll just post the fixtures, their results and the goalscorers, which I will then add to the Team's Top Goalscorer list.

Ladbrokes Championship Results
  • Dunfermline (away): 2-2 (Reilly x2)
  • Queen of the South (home): 0-0
  • Brechin City (home): 4-1 (Cammy Smith x2, Reilly, McGinn)
  • Dumbarton (away): 8-3 (McGinn, Davis, Sutton, Stewart x2, C. Smith, McShane)
  • Falkirk (away): 1-1 (Todd)
  • Greenock Morton (home): 0-0
  • Dundee United (away): 2-1 (Reilly, Todd)
  • Livingston (home): 4-2 (McGinn, Reilly x2, Todd)
  • Inverness (away): 0-2
  • Dumbarton (home): 1-0 (Davis)

IRN BRU Cup Fixtures

• Crusaders (away): 4-2 (Kirkpartick x2, Reilly x2)
  • Inverness (home): 1-0 (C. Smith)
  • Forfar (away): 1-1 (Reilly) *St Mirren win on Penalties

Betfred Cup Fixtures

• Quarter Finals: Dunfermline (away): 4-1 (Reilly, Morgan, Todd, Sutton)
  • Semi Finals: St Johnstone (Hampden Park): 3-0 (McGinn x2, Sutton)
  • Finals: Partick Thistle (Hampden Park): 4-2 (Sutton, MacKenzie, Kirkpatrick, Reilly)
St Mirren Win The Betfred League Cup

Scottish Cup

• Buckie Thistle (away): 2-1 (Hilson, Kirkpatrick)

Team's Top Goalscorers
  1. Gavin Reilly - 27
  2. Cammy Smith - 15
  3. Lewis Morgan - 7
  4. Stephen McGinn - 9
  5. Josh Todd - 6
  6. John Sutton - 4
  7. Jordan Kirkpatrick - 5
  8. Ross Stewart - 3
  9. Ian McShane - 2
  10. Harry Davis - 2
  11. Lewis Morrison - 1