The Saints Are Coming - A 2019 Story

Scott Dickson

Reaction score
Hello to all who have decided to follow me on my managerial journey. I've started this a little later than I normally do, which was mostly down to my laptop not working for several months. Now that it is repaired, I can get started with this years FM Story.

This year, I'll attempt to include some of the fixture clips on Youtube - although I had some issues with this last year with the upload time. If I can get the uploads to work this year, I shall include the link to the specific fixture and result within the post about that game.

So let me introduce The Saints Are Coming Story....

The Saints Are Coming will follow Scottish Top flight side, St Mirren. As a lifelong St Mirren fan, I've chosen them as the football team I will manage.

I will combine a number of challenges I have taken part in over the past few games into one ultimate challenge.

Challenge 1 - Stop 10 In a Row

Celtic Football Club have been the dominant force in Scotland for the past 7 years. Ever since arch rivals, Rangers, were liquidated and relegated to Scotland's bottom tier, Celtic have had no competition. This challenge means I have 3 seasons to win the top flight and prevent Celtic obtaining a historic 10 in a row. Winning the title would also obtain St Mirren's first ever top flight league title, as their highest league positions has been 3rd place. I won't be the only team trying to dethrone Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and Rangers (managed by Steven Gerrard) will all be trying to secure the Champions Crown.

Challenge 2 - Domestic Treble

A domestic treble is a hard thing to achieve, unless you are Celtic. Another challenge I will be looking to complete within this story is winning a domestic treble with St Mirren. The Scottish Domestic Treble consists of the Premier League, The Scottish Cup and The League Cup.

Challenge 3 - European Glory

The third challenge in this story will be to secure regular European football for the Paisley side, with the eventual outcome being winning the Europa League and the Champions League. This will be incredible difficult given St Mirren's low stature and finances.

Challenge 4 - Home Grown Talent

This is where the challenge becomes increasingly difficult. Long term I will look to turn my side into a Scottish Player only side. This will make the prospect of winning the Europa League and Champions League more difficult, as my side could potentially lack the Spanish and Italian flair, and the German organisation.

Challenge 5 - National Glory

Another long term aim is to secure the manager role of the Scotland National Team. The target is to then secure regular qualification to European and World Cup competitions, with the ultimate long term goal being winning both competitions. This is where my Home Grown Talent challenge will come into this, as I will look to cherry pick the best Scottish talent from my own team, and other teams around the world (who posses Scottish Players).

Bonus Challenge - £1 Billion Challenge

This is a bonus challenge that I will be looking to complete. Here my aim is to obtain a club bank balance of £1 billion. I have only ever achieved this once before with Ajax, and it requires buying and selling players at the right time. These updates will be provided at the end of each season initially as progress will be slow. However, as I move closer to completing this challenge, more regular updates will be provided.

Please don't be shy to share any advice, or comment on the challenges I will undertake. I hope you enjoy this thread.

The Gaffer and His Plans

Each Football Manager player has their own playing style and philosophy as to how they think they will get the best out of their team. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. Here I will introduce how I plan to set up my playing formation and the style of play I will look to adopt.

Over the past few FM games, I have favoured a 4-2-3-1 formation with my central attacking midfielder being utilised as a Shadow Striker. This formation allows my team to control the midfield and provide support to my striker, as well as assisting the back 4.

My back 4 normally consists of 2 no-nonsense centre halves who's job is simply to defend. None of this ball player defender stuff - at least not initially. The two full backs will take the role of wing back, and will support the attacking 4 (striker, wingers and attacking mid).

My midfield two will play a key role in controlling the game. These two will generally stick to their positions and assist the defence, whilst looking for that key pass to unlock the opposition defence.

My attacking midfielder will support my centre forward. This is normally a player who possess a good rating in flair, pace and passing.

My two wingers both need to be quick - especially when it comes to dealing with Scotland's top 4. The best way to deal with Celtic, Rangers, Hibs and Hearts is to attack them on the break, and in order to give myself the best chance at that, I need to break quickly. In previous games, I opted to use my wingers as Inside Forwards and that may be an option I go down again - especially if my full backs are supporting the attack.

I can go one of two ways with my striker. I can either go for a big target man, who's job is to win the ball, and hold it up for my wingers or attacking midfielder to run onto to. They will also be there to get on the end of corners and crosses. If this is the route I choose to go down, then this player will need to be tall and will need to possess good ratings in heading, strength and positioning.

The other option I can go down is to look for a quicker, flair player. With this method, I look to play a short passing game, and utilise my 2 centre midfielders pick out a pass that gives me attackers the opportunity to score. Here, speed, flair and finishing are my chosen attributes.

As for squad size, I generally go for 23 players within the Scottish Leagues. This consists of the 11 starting players, 7 substitutes and 5 "reserve" players. My substitute layout normally consists of the below.

Sub 1 - Goalkeeper
Sub 2 - Centre Back
Sub 3 - Defender Right/Left
Sub 4 - Central Midfielder
Sub 5 - Midfielder Right/Left
Sub 6 - Attacking Midfielder
Sub 7 - Forward

Sub 3 and 4 need to be able to play on both the left and right side. Sometimes I get lucky and find a player that can play in 3 out of he 4 positions, which allows me to use that substitute space for another player. Here, I need to identify players that are both versatile, and of a sufficient quality to make an impact for my team.

Since I'll also be competing in 3 competitions, I also have to have players who can come in and allow others to rest, or take a place if someone is injured. These 5 "reserve" players are normally youth players when I play in the Scottish Leagues.

Since Scottish clubs do not possess the same budgets as England, it is harder to maintain a high quality bench and stand in players. Celtic boast almost 3 quality players per position, where as smaller clubs like St Mirren, Dundee, Motherwell etc have to rely very heavily on youth players. My 5 stand in players are normally as below.

Res 1 - Youth Goalkeeper
Res 2 - Youth Centre Back
Res 3 - Youth Full Back
Res 4 - Youth Midfielder
Res 5 - Youth Forward

In order to successfully achieve the challenges I have set myself, I am going to have to utilise the youth system as best as I can. I will need to identify those players who have a high potential, and effectively throw them in the deep end.

Initially, I will not be able to compete for all 3 competitions, and will use The League Cup to blood in the younger players. There is a problem with the League Cup format that presents an initial problem. Prior to the season starting, the League Cup Group stages take place. This Group stage has largely taken the place of Pre-Season friendlies in Scotland, and I will need to select XI players in order to ensure they are match fit for the season starting. If my team make it through the group stage, then the remainder o the tournament will be handed over to the youth players, and those that do not get a regular game for the team.

Last edited:
Im a Rangers man ! but I genuinely like this type of challenge when im done my Boro one I may attempt this. Could be fun.

Im a Rangers man ! but I genuinely like this type of challenge when im done my Boro one I may attempt this. Could be fun.

Ranger's would be more difficult in my opinion, mostly due down to the pressure the board would apply if you were to finish outside the top 2. My first major problem is avoiding relegation and looking to build on it as quickly as possible. If you try it, good luck and let me know how you get on!

Got any transfer targets in mind ? hopefully land a good senior feeder club

Meeting the Squad

The current St Mirren side boast a large number of low quality players - thank you Alan Stubbs.

Currently, there are 29 listed first team players, with a high volume of youth players as well. It will be difficult to keep 29 first team players happy, and a squad that size may result in a high level of disruption. My first challenge is trimming the squad down to a suitable size - either by sending players out on loan, or selling them.

So lets assess the clubs assets....

Goalkeepers

Lewis Muir - 16
View attachment 23065

Lewis Muir is one of 3 youth goalkeepers in the St Mirren side. At 16, he is still incredibly young. He is currently valued at 2k, and earning £100 a week. Lewis shows a 2 star potential for the club with a current half star ability. Whilst he dosnt impact my finances much, he dos look like he is going to make the cut

Loan or Sell.

Kyle Miller - 16

Kyle is the second of 3 youth goalkeepers at the club. Similar to Lewis, he is valued at 2k, and earns a low £90 per week. Similar to Lewis, this is another player who doesn't look like he is going to make the grade, as he shows a half star future potential.

Loan or Sell.

David Wilson - 17
View attachment 23064

The third of my 3 youth goalkeepers. Like the others, he doesnt look great (showing a 2 star potential). Like with the others, he won't impact my finances too much (£90 a week wage, and 3k value). But it may be better trying to free up the wages and look to bring in a higher potential youth goalkeeper.

Loan or Sell.

Danny Rodgers - 24

View attachment 23063

On loan at St Mirren from Aberdeen, Danny Rodgers looks set to be my first claim goalkeeper. His potential is showing as 4 stars whilst is current ability is set at 3.5 stars. Danny will also be claiming £1000 a week in wages from the club.

Keep.

Craig Samson - 34

View attachment 23062

Craig is currently in his second spell with St Mirren , having won the League Cup in his first spell in 2013 (saving a penalty from Celtic in the semi-final). A firm fans favourite, Sammy will compete with Danny over the number 1 spot with his 3.5 star current ability and 3.5 star potential. He will draw a £700 a week wage.

Keep.

Dean Lyness - 26

View attachment 23061The third of my 3 senior goalkeepers at the club. Dean is a recently acquired player, however he is also the weakest of the three. A team of my stature cannot operate with 3 first team goalkeepers and 1 will have to go. Unfortunately, it has to be Dean. This will free up £500 a week in wages and potentially bring in 3k.

Loan or Sell.

The Defenders

Once again there is a large number of defenders within the club, and limited quality throughout both the first team, and the youth team. Future potential is almost non existent, and again I will need to source a few younger players to come into the team.

Adam Eckersley - 32 (D/WB L)

Adam has been at the club for a while, and starts the game with a long term injury. Showing a rating of 3.5 stars, Adam is my best left back at the club. Although he is in the latter stages of his career, he can still be reliable when required. At this moment in time I am willing to spend the £700 a week and keep a hold of him after he recovers from his injury, as his experience will prove vital.

Keep

Alfie Jones - 20 (DC)

On loan from Southampton, Jones was one of three centre backs brought in by former St Mirren manager Alan Stubbs. Boasting a £2000 a week wage, Jones is one of the clubs highest earners. Showing a 3.5 star potential, Jones can fulfil that role of either first team player, substitute or reserve defender (as he can be classed as a youth player)

Wait till end of Pre-Season

Anton Ferdinand - 33 (DC)

Former Premiership centre half Anton Ferdinand currently finds himself at St Mirren. Taking home £700 a week and rated at 3.5 stars, his experience and leadership will be extremely valuable in the upcoming season. Anton will more than likely be one of my two starting centre backs.

Keep

Ben Cameron - 16 (DC)

Youngster Cameron doesnt come highly rated for a 16 year old, and is another youth player that may be moved on. The problem I seem to be facing is that I may not have a youth team left by the end of this. I will sort the first team first, then look to set up my youth, however this may be a player who finds himself looking for another club soon and freeing up £90 a week.

Loan or Sell

Cole Kpekawa - 22 (DC)

Kpekawa's real life stats make for grim reading. 6 years into a professional footballing career, the former QPR youth player has managed no more than 34 career appearances - making no more than 10 appearances at any club before being moved on. His stats here seem to look better than they did when he actually played for The Buddies. Kpekawa''s 750 a week wage also mean he is not taking a large part of the wage budget home with him, and he may be one of either Heaton, Jones, Baird or Cole for the younger centre halves I keep.

Wait till end of pre-season

Gary MacKenzie - 32 (DC)

Like Adam, Gary is another player who is considered a firm fans favourite - he also start the season on the treatment table. Gary is the strongest centre half present at the club, and I will monitor his progress to see how he is when he returns from his injury. Anton, Gary and Adam all posses a rating within leadership, and their experience may be the deciding factor in avoiding relegation.

Keep

Hayden Coulson - 20 (D/WB/AM L)

The versatile full back finds himself at St Mirren, on loan from Middlesborough. With a high level of pace and flair, he may take the starting role of left full back whilst Adam recovers from his injury. Earning £1000 a week and rated at 3.5 stars he could be a player I look to keep a hold of for the entire season.

Keep

Jack Baird - 22 (DC)

Academy graduate Jack Baird is one of 4 younger centre backs I opt to keep. The friendly games will decide which one out of Heaton, Baird, Cole or Jones I decide to keep at the club. With a potential rating of 4 stars and a £600 a week wage. Baird edges it on paper, but the pre-season will ultimately determine who stays, and who goes.

Jamie Walker - 17 (DC)

Another youth player with very low potential. There appears to be a problem with my youth set-up that it isn't showing a great deal of quality in future blood for the first team. Something I seriously need to address.

Loan or Sell

Josh Heaton - 21 (DC)

The final of the 4 younger centre backs that show signs of good potential. Josh is rated at 3.5 stars and currently earns £700 a week. Pre-season games will determine who stays and who goes.

Lee Hodson - 26 (D RL)

On loan from Rangers, Lee provides versatility for both left and right back cover. Rated at 4 stars he is one of three players fighting for a starting spot. His wage, at £4000 a week, however poses a slight issue.

Keep

Liam Miller - 18 (DC DM)

More youth, very little potential. Potentially another 100 a week freed up which can be used to bring in someone slightly better.

Loan or Sell

Max Potter - 18 (DR)

Another low potential youth prospect, although this one shows slightly more prospect than the others. Max, may be one I hold onto for a little longer, just to ensure I have the right numbers.

Keep (for now)

Paul McGinn - 27 (DR)

Paul McGinn is brother of club captain, Stephen, an former St Mirren player John McGinn (Aston Villa). Paul will be battling it out with Lee for the starting spot at right back. Rated at 4 stars and earning £550 a week, this will be one that is dependent on pre-season performances.

Keep

Scott Glover - 17 (DC)

Another youth player following the same trend as all previous other youth players. I feel a raid of the lower league teams coming on.

Loan or Sell

I've tried saves with all players from the home country, I wonder how tough it would be if you could select the entire national team from your own squad and compete.

Anyway, this looks pretty good and I'll follow along, good luck!

The Midfielders

Like the previous two positions currently looked at, the midfield is littered with an array of players - many lacking any actual talent. I'm beginning to see the scale of the problem that I will face with this team

Jim Kellermann - 23 (DM CM/ACM)

Kellermann was former manager, Jack Ross, final siging before he departed for Sunderland, and was meant to be his last gift to The Buddies Faithful. Alan Stubbs sent him away on loan, before being sacked a month later. Kellermann is a 23 year old versatile midfielder that can play anywhere in the middle of the park. With a 3 star potential rating, Kellermann may not be the final gift that Saints fans deserve, and it may be worth leaving him on loan just now.

Cameron MacPherson - 19 (DR MC)

MacPherson looks to be the first bright light from the academy. At 19 years old, he cal play at both right back and in central midfield. With a potential 4 star rating he will be one I will be looking to develop.

Matty Willock - 21 (DM CM)

21 year old Willock is currently on loan from Manchester United. Again, he comes highly rated. Willock may be another player I keep. My problem however is that I only play with 2 central midfielders, so I will need to pick carefully.

Ethan Erhahon - 17 (DL DM CM/ACM)

Another highly rated academy graduate. Erhahon comes very highly rated in Paisley with the youngster already showing very promising signs as a competent left back. Young Ethan can play anywhere in the middle of the park, as well as fill in at left back. Rated a potential 5 stars, this is definitely one player I will be looking to develop.

Stephen McGinn - 29 (CM)

The Captain. McGinn is a cult hero at St Mirren. Scoring the wondergoal that earned St Mirren their first home win over Rangers in 27 year, the Captain returned to the team he developed at after unsuccessful spells in England. McGinn and former Buddie Mallan formed the heart of a midfield that saved St Mirren from dropping into the Third tier of Scottish Football. The Captain played a pivitol role in gaining promotion to the top flight. He shall remain my captain, and sit at the heart of my midfield.

Ian McShane - 25 (CM)

McShane was the top assist provider for St Mirren in the Championship. At 25 he still has much to offer the Saints. This is where things are difficult, as I only play with 2 central midfielders, I cannot possibly keep them all happy. I currently have Magennis out injured, so McShane should be able to fit in until he returns. With his passing ability, he may be key to unlocking tough Premiership defenses.

Kyle Magennis - 20 (CM/R)

Another product of the St Mirren academy line. Magennis is currently injured, however uon his return he will play a vital role in the clubs survival and long term progression. With a 5 star potential rating, he is another player I will look to develop.

Ryan Edwards - 24 (AMC/R MC/R)

Currently on loan from Hearts Ryan provides a high level of versatility. With 4 star rating he will be another player who will be kept.

Jordan Kirkpatrick - 26 (MC/AMC)

26 year old Jordan is currently injured, however he will be one player who I will be looking to offload. With a 3 star rating, there are plenty of players who are better than him.

Cody Cooke - 25 (AMC/MC, FC, MR)

Again another player that brings a lot of versatility, just a shame he doesnt back it up with ability. Cooke is my last favourite Cook - behind Big Cook and Little Cook - and is another midfielder I will be looking to shift.

Adam Hammill - 30 (ML, MR, AML/R)

Hammill is a proper winger, relatively pacey, can cross, has flair and strength. Hammill will be a key player for The Buddies and I will be looking for him to deliver plenty of assists this season.

Ryan Flynn - 29 (MR/L AMR/L)

Flynn once had a promising career, and earned a move to Liverpool. Now at 29 he finds himself at St Mirren, and I would say isnt even good enough to make my team. However, until a replacement winger can be found, he finds himself a spot in the side. For now.

Cameron Breadner - 17 (ML AML)

Young. Fast. Good Crossing. This kid has the makings of a top Premiership winger.

Jeff King - 22 (AML ML)

At 22 Jeff is another player who could be quite promising. However there are just too many players who play in his position that are better. I won't sell him however, I'll look to loan him out instead.

The Strikers

I only play with 1 forward, so this will be difficult to pick from. Currently, there are 6 registered strikers with the club.

Danny Mullen - 23 (AMC / ST)

Danny Mullen will act as cover for Cammy Smith - who will play my Shadow Striker roll. Danny has a potential of 4 stars.

Cammy Smith - 22 (AMC / ST)

At 22 Cammy should serve the club for many years. This man will play the role of Shadow Striker, a role I have used him in in previous games to great effect

Conor O'Keefe - 19 (AMRL / ST)

Sadly O'Keefe did not reach his potential when he was brought back into St Mirren. He is a player that I will be looking to offload.

Sam Jamieson - 19 (AML / ST)

A player with plenty of potential but will struggle with first team opportunities here. I will look to loan him out to develop.

Simeon Jackson - 31 (ST)

On paper Jackson is my best striker, but he doesnt fit my formation. Jackson doesnt seem to suit the role of lone centre forward. However, friendlies will best determine what I will do with him.

Nicolai Brock-Madsen - 25 (ST)

Nicolai seems to bet suit the role of target man, which is exactly what my formation would require at present. He will start as my main striker, until I am proven otherwise by another.

Got any transfer targets in mind ? hopefully land a good senior feeder club

Hamilton usually have a few good prospects. I havent actually got into scouting opposition players yet and i'm still trying to assess what my team should look like in its formation. From very early indicators Ethan Erhahon and Kyle Magennis - both at St Mirren - look like they will be leading Premiership midfielders if developed right.

Magennis is 20 and has featured quite regularly within the St Mirren set up for the past few years. Although he starts the game off injured.

Erhahon has only just broken into the St Mirren side this season at 17. He's a central midfielder, but due to St Mirren sending Coulson back to Middlesborough and Eckersley going out on loan to Forfar, Erhahon has been playing at left back.

I'd keep an eye on the Regen dates as well (the time where all clubs have a new youth intake). For Scotland its the 7th March. At this time i'll have scouts at almost every club in Scotland trying to pinch the best youth players from lower league teams.

I reckon you cancel the loan of Hodson, not sure what your wage budget is like but £4k seems a large chunk when you have other capable of playing RB.

Good luck for the season ahead

Also at the start check out u16-21 american players there is regens who would walk rite into your squad. its because the league is different in MLS.

highly recommend it.

Let the Trials Begin

One easy method I've found of bringing in players without the cost of having to scout them is to offer them a trial.

I offered out a string of trials to players who were out of contract - Diego Forlan and Bilel Moshni both turned me down to sign with Philidelphia and Kilmarnock respectively. I've included images of player who have accepted trials.

As you can see, some of them come with a low potential rating, and probably wont make the team. Some however seem promising.

More Trials

All of these players have been offered full time contracts

Lanzetta would be the ideal replacement for my 3 young goalkeepers and would be used for the League Cup to gain experience. However I face competition from a number of Scottish Premiership sides to secure him.

Diaz really excites me, but again I face a number of other rival clubs to secure his signature.

Ally Reynolds I would look to bring in, and then send out on loan to gain experience

De Pres is another one who looks promising, and thankfully I seem to be facing no competition for this one

Elliot would be one I would try to nurture to take over the right winger spot, however this may require a loan to start with.

Transfer News So Far

So let's run through the early transfer news so far. Most of the transfers so far have been bringing young players in to secure the future of the club. I know the long term goal is to have a team full of Scottish players, however to bring in the talent I need, I need money. Finances is something that St Mirren currently do not have, with a transfer budget of 80k. When I started the team I had a remaining wage budget of 3k. Most of the young players I have brought in have wages around the £100 mark, with a small handful earning £150 a week. This will balance it's self out again when I start to offload some younger players who will not make the cut.

Out

Youth goalkeepers Wilson, and Miller have both been loaned out with 100% of their wages being covered. Dean Lyness has also moved to Port Vale for 2.5k freeing up more wages and reducing the first team squad size in the process.

Jordan Elliot was brought in as a free agent and immediately loaned out to Cove Rangers for first team experience.

In

There has been a lot more activity into the club so far, with a lot of the players coming into the reserve system.I would have loved to have Diaz in the club as well, however he opted to go for Reading instead. Most of these players will be loaned back out again to reduce the wage budget, and allow the players to gain first team experience, and progress.

Al Hassan will be utilized within the first team, whilst Charlie Ball (also a striker) will be loaned out. Both of these players look like great prospects.

M'Voto is a 29 year old no-nonsense centre half, and will be used to fit into my current formation to settle things down until I feel comfortable tinkering it. M'Voto is a centre half I've used before an I've always been incredibly pleased with.

First Game in Charge

Pre-season went well, 31 goals scored and 4 conceded in 7 games with 5 friendly matches still be played. However, there's business to be done for the First Team. Hearts will be my first opponents as a manager in a competitive game. I have selected my first team based on their pre-season performances.

Craig Samson takes the position between the sticks. With Rogers injured, Samson will take the leading role in goals. New signing Fergal Hale-Brown will take the spot on the bench. Fergal is a 19 year old Welsh goalkeeper who was recently released from Norwich.

The defence will consist of on loan Hayden Coulson, Anton Ferdinand, Academy Graduate Jack Baird and Paul McGinn.

My central midfield will be created of Stephen McGinn (my captain), and Ian McShane.

My wingers will be Cameron Breadner, and Adam Hamill. Both players will be set as inside forwards to support Cammy Smith and my striker Brock-Madsen

The substitutes include
Fergal Hale-Brown
Josh Heaton
Lee Hodgson
Ethan Erhahon
Ryan Flynn
Danny Mullen
Simeon Jackson

Let the games begin...