The Saints Are Coming - A St Mirren FC Story

Scott Dickson

Reaction score
Everyone loves a good underdog story. There's nothing quite like seeing a team defy all odds to pull of, or achieve, the seemingly impossible.

British Footballing History is filled with underdogs - The Welsh National teams run to the Semi-Finals of the 2016 Euros, Leicester's unexpected League win in 2015/16. Raith Rovers winning the Scottish League Cup in '94 after beating Glasgow Celtic on penalties and Gretna's run into the Scottish Cup Final in 2006 where they narrowly lost out to Hearts on penalties.

This is one such story...

1581248919607.png

Although St Mirren Football Club was founded in 1877, it was not until the 1880's that they came to prominence in the national game. They played their first match at Shortroods on the 6th October 1877 against Johnstone Britannia. John Goold had the honour of scoring the first St Mirren goal in a 1-0 victory. However, they quickly hit earth with a harsh bump with two quick loses, first to Vale of Caldon, and then the humiliating defeat to Pollockshields side Ailsa Reserves - a 7-1 loss. A year after their forming, they moved to Abingdon Park, and very quickly after to Thistle Park in Greenhill.

In the early stages, their rivals were Abercorn, who were also formed in Paisley in 1877. Saint won the first match 7-0.

1882-83 saw a historic occasion when, on the 30th September 1882, Saints lined up against Greenock Morton in the 2nd round of the Scottish Cup. Sadly Morton won comfortably 5-1, but this was the very first meeting of the two teams who would go on to become fierce rivals.

Saints were back in the final of the Renfrewshire Cup this season after defeating Cartvale (5-1), Paisley Athletic (3-0), Greenock Southern (8-0) and Johnstone Rovers (5-0), they faced Thornliebank in the final.On 14th April 1883 the teams lined up at East Park, home of Paisley Athletic.The St.Mirren team that day was: - Drinnan, Marshall, McPhee, Paterson, Kerr, Wallace, Watt, Brown, Fairlie, Imrie and Johnstone.6000 people saw goals from Wallace (2) and Imrie give Saints a 3-1 victory. It is interesting to note that Saints were the first team to be presented with the magnificent trophy as, although the competition was in its fifth season, the Renfrewshire F.A. had only just got round to having a trophy made!

The 20's

At the end of the 1921/22 season, St Mirren were invited to Spain, at the request of Barcelona Football Club, as part of the official opening of their new stadium, Les Cortes. Barcelona had arranged a number of friendly matches and named the tournament, The Barcelona Cup. Although St Mirren lost the first two games 1-2 and 0-1 to Catalan select teams, their third match was to be played against Notts County. After a goalless first half, County retreated to the dressing rooms to cool down, while Saints opted to remain on the pitch in the sweltering conditions. Not only did this allow the players to climatise, but it won over the hearts of the Catalan faithful, who rallied behind the team during the second half. Dunky Walker put the Saints ahead inside the first 10 minutes of the second half, only for County to send the game to extra time with an equaliser. With the end of extra time looming, Dunky Walker won the game for Saints, and took the team through to face Santander. Two matches against the team from Northern Spain saw a 3-2 victory and a 2-2 draw.

Gijon were next and the two sides met twice in the space of 2 days. The first game a 7-2 victory for the team from Paisley, and the second a 4-1 win for Gijon.

Barcelona next, and a victory for St Mirren resulted in them being awarded the Barcelona Cup. This was the first trophy won by a British team from Mainland European soil.

To this day, St Mirren hero Dunky Walker holds the record of 45 goals in a league. This makes him the highest scoring footballer in a single league season.

1924-25

By this stage in the decade Saints were keeping more consistency in their performances and 1924-25 was to be no different.

Davie McCrae continued what he had started at the tail end of the previous season by notching 29 goals, to justify the faith shown in him by Saints. One particularly good period for Davie was October and November when he scored in six consecutive matches, finishing up with four in a 4-1 win over Motherwell. Aided by his goals the team remained in 6th position for the third successive year.

The Scottish Cup also provided some cheer, for the first time in many years! Defeats of Peterhead (3-1), Ayr UTD (1-0) and Partick Thistle (2-0) saw a quarter final meeting with Celtic at Love Street. 47,428 a new record, crowded into the ground to see both teams battle out a no score draw. The replay at Parkhead also ended in a draw, 1-1. Saints goal was scored by Douglas Thomson, on loan from St.Johnstone to replace the injured McCrae. In the deciding match at Ibrox, a solitary Jimmy McGrory goal sent Saints out.

That First Honor!

If 1924-25 was exciting for the fans, 1925-26 was to surpass even that!

Saints started in great form with 23 points taken from a possible 28 to see them sit proudly atop the league during November. However, a shock 1-0 reverse at the hands of bottom placed St.Johnstone started a slump in form and, despite Davie McCrae again scoring regularly to top the charts with 24, Saints could not regain the early season form and slipped from the championship race. They eventually secured a fourth place finish, the best since 1893!

The Scottish Cup began comfortably enough with a 4-0 win over Mid-Annandale at Love Street.
The second round took Saints to Gayfield to meet Arbroath. A poor performance saw Tom Morrison miss a penalty and Saints struggle to hold on against ten-man Arbroath for a 0-0 draw. The replay at Love Street was once again uninspiring, but a 3-0 win was gladly accepted.

Partick thistle (2-1) and Airdrie (2-0) were disposed of and Rangers were the opposition in the semi final. In a close fought match Jamie Thomson scored to take Saints into their first cup final since 1908. The opposition was Celtic, the team who beat them in that previous final!

On 10th​ April 1926 the following players lined up at Hampden: - Bradford, Findlay, Newbiggin, Morrison, Summers McDonald, Morgan, Gebbie, McCrae, Howieson, and Thomson. Celtic were undoubted favourites, but St.Mirren got off to the best possible start when top scorer McCrae headed home in just three minutes

Jimmy Howieson added a second midway through the first half to seal the victory, and the Cup was on its way to Paisley for the first time ever.

Each player was presented with a bottle of whiskey for their efforts and Davie McCrae vowed not to drink his until the Cup returned to Paisley again. He was to have a long wait!

#
1581249174740.png

The 50's - That Second Honor

The 1958-59 cup trail began with St.Mirren staring superstition in the face by agreeing to play Peebles Rovers on Friday the thirteenth February, in the first ever floodlit match at Love Street. This proved to be far from unlucky as Saints, on a bonus for the amount of goals scored, rattled in ten without reply.

After disposing of Motherwell and Dunfermline, Saints lined up at Hampden on the 1st April against Celtic in the semi final with this team: Walker, Lapsley, Wilson, Neilson, McGugan, Leishman, Rodger, Bryceland, Baker, Gemmell and Miller.

Celtic started as favourites, but Alistair Miller had other ideas and constantly tormented the Celtic defence. He scored twice and assisted in further goals from Bryceland and Baker to earn a 4-0 victory that made Scottish football take notice of the men from Paisley.

In the final on the 25th April the same eleven men were entrusted with the task of bringing the cup to Paisley.
As in the League Cup final of 1955 Aberdeen were the opposition, but this time they were not as clear favourites.
Once again Alistair Miller was on top form and led Saints to a memorable 3-1 win scoring once with the other goals coming from Baker and Bryceland.

As Paisley celebrated, the Saints team were joined by 1926 hero Davie McCrae who had kept his promise to keep his celebratory whiskey until the cup returned to Paisley. 1959 skipper Davie Lapsley had the first drink from the bottle.

Another piece of silverware arrived at Love Street during April when the reserves defeated Motherwell 3-2 over two legs in the final of the 2nd​ XI cup.

Following the Scottish Cup win Saints were invited to play FA Cup holders Nottingham Forest in an Anglo Scottish Challenge. Goals from Laird (2), Bryceland, Kerrigan and Baker gave Saints a 5-4 aggregate win.

1581249202769.png

The 80's - That Third Honor

St Mirren deployed 14 players at Hampden in 1987, to face a rampant Dundee United side in the Scottish Cup Final. By the end of that afternoon, each of those 14 players would become legends. Against all odds, they would bring the trophy home to Paisley for only the third time in their history. An extra time goal from club record transfer (sold) Ian Ferguson sealed the win for The Buddies! This was to be the last time that the Scottish Cup was contested by 2 teams containing only Scottish players.

1581249222140.png

Attachments

• 1581249262443.png
    1581249262443.png
    730.2 KB · Views: 97
The Present

And so I was born. I remember in early 2000 asking my father if St Mirren would be in the latest game of Fifa after we had won the league. "Yes son, they will be" "That's great, I can have Quitongo, and Yardley and Rudden in my team"

I remember Steven McGarry turning round to me that day and asking "Can I get a game for your team wee man?" My reply? "How? Who are you?".

At the end of that season, I went down to get autographs from my favourite players. McGarry ran through on goal and poked the ball passed the goalkeeper. He ran over to me, signed my book, and told me that I knew who he was now. Its a moment that solidified my love for the club. I'd never forget it. He'd never forget it either.

I'd watched a few cup wins, but nothing major. The 2000 League win, the 2005 Challenge Cup, the 2006 League win. But nothing big. We came close, in 2010. A loss to 9 man Rangers - and the mocking call of "wasted journey wee man" from their fans - in the League Cup final shattered the belief that I'd see The Buddies lift a major trophy. Then came 2013.

View attachment 483584

St Mirren's run to the league cup final started well with a 5-1 demolition of Ayr United in the second round - 5 goals, 5 different goal scorers. A 1-0 win oer Hamilton saw them into the Quarter Finals. Extra time and penalties was required to see off Aberdeen to reach Celtic in the Semi Finals.

I remember new loan signing Goncalves introducing himself to the St Mirren faithful with an 8th minute goal at Hampden to put The Buddies 1-0 up, only for Hooper to score on the stroke of Halftime. I remember Samson's penalty save to stop Celtic taking the lead and McGowan immediately scoring his penalty at the other end to put St Mirren ahead. Thompson's goal sealed the place in the final with Mulgrew getting s 93rd minute consolation goal.

13 years on from Fifa Gate, McGarry posted on twitter. Paisley born and bred, he was a die hard St Mirren fan who found himself managing in Australia at Perth Glory. He'd booked his ticket home to watch his wee team in a major domestic final. Hearts were the opposition. They were bottom of the league, they were struggling. This was our chance.

McGarry would ask fans to name their favourite St Mirren memory. Some spoke of past success and trophies, some mentioned beating the Old Firm at certain points in history, I mentioned Fifa Gate. To my surprise he remembered the whole incident, and mentioned how he was still mocked from his own dad for what happened.

I remember the heartbreak of watching Hearts go 1-0 up, then the relief as Goncalves prodded the ball over the line after Teale rendered the Hearts keeper helpless. Paisley Hero Thompson and Newcastle loanee Conor Newton sealed the deal for Paisley, and the Saints went Marching On to Cup Glory. I had witnessed my first major trophy.

In recent years, St Mirren have suffered. After a dismal showing in the Premiership, the club were relegated to The Championship, and only recently survived a second relegation by goal difference in the 2016/17 season, when former right back, Jack Ross, managed the team to a final league game draw against Hibernian - that year's League Winners. It really was to be Sunshine on Leith.

The following season, St Mirren's fortunes improved after running away with the league to be names Scottish Championship Winners, and with it, the return to the top flight. Ross would depart for Sunderland and Alan Stubbs would take the helm, a position he would hold for just 3 months. With St MIrren struggling at the foot of the table, Oran Kearney would take the managerial seat and guide St Mirren to safety via the play-offs against Dundee United in penalties.

Now Kearney has departed for his hometown of Coleraine, and its my turn to write the story.

The Challenge(s)

There are a number of things I would like to achieve in this years challenge, which I have listed below:

Challenge 1 - Avoid Relegation
This is a fairly self explanatory one. St Mirren are a small club and have struggled in the top flight. The team presently isnt great, and will require a little work. My first aim is to secure our top flight status.

Challenge 2 - Establish A Development System
Scottish clubs outwith the Old Firm rely on Youth and St Mirren are no different. Recent graduates from St Mirren's Academy include John McGinn, Steven Mallan, Jason Naismith, Kenny McLean and Lewis Morgan. My goal is to establish a good development programme where at least one player is promoted to the Senior Team each year. This will also provide a good source of income for the club as I look to try and assert my dominance.

Challenge 3 - Win the League
St Mirren have never won the top flight. This is something I want to change

Challenge 4 - Win the Domestic Treble
As I progress, I want to win all 3 domestic honours in a single season.

Challenge 5 - Win the Europa/Champions League.
The reason I have split this up is I, potentially, might win the Champions League before I win the Europa League. This of course will all depend on how I progress with the team

Challenge 6 - National Duty
I want to gain the Scotland Managers Job and develop my own players to play in the team. With the Scotland post I want to win the Euro Cup and World Cup

Challenge 7 - Domestic National Treble
Win the domestic treble with a team containing all Scottish Nationality players

Lets Get Started.

So we begin our story at the manager welcome screen. Now lets ignore the fact that I used the 3D camera to create my managers face, and its turned out like what would have happened if Wayne Rooney kept his hair, and didn't go for the transplant. These camera's never seem to be great in each version of the game, and I'm still waiting for the day where it's more realistic to the actual manager playing the game.

So the club sees newly appointed manager Jim Goodwin leaving the club to be replaced by a young 26 year old, and being provided a rather generous £2.2k a week wage. I'll go through my managerial philosophy, the formation I plan on using and a little bit about my squad and prospects.

1581260574513.png

Formation

For the last 4 versions of Football Manager, I have opted for a 4-2-3-1 Tactic, and I don't think i'll change away from that. I've found that it covers all the space required on a park and provides both enough defence and attack. It offers the ability to play some quick passing football, that will allow my more skill-full players to develop and express themselves, whilst equally allowing my defenders the cover they require to prevent leaks at the back.
1581260769184.png

For this, i've chosen to borrow a tactic from the Steam Workshop (so i'll give credit where it is due). This tactic was created by SE7EN and is designed around the football that Liverpool currently play. This is exactly the sort of football I want my team to be playing - quick, passing football.

We now just need to select the correct players to play in each position and see what we are missing.

The Team

1581261140133.png

Goalkeeper - Vaclav Hladky
At 28 years old Hladky is in the beginning of his prime, and is a very capable player for any Scottish Premiership side. Hladky was signed by former manager, Kearney, and played a vital role in keeping St Mirren in the Premiership. Currently, hes attracting the attention of Rangers in real life. Vaclav will hopefully be my iron curtain between the sticks and help in keeping the club in the Premiership

Left Back - None
I think i'm going to have to delve into the transfer market for this area. Currently, St Mirren have 2 left backs at the club. Ethan Erhahon (Who is a more natural central midfielder) and Calum Waters (on loan from Kilmarnock). Neither of which look particularly great for what I want to achieve with the team. This is an area of the club that will require strengthening. If I cannot find a suitable candidate then Waters will have to play at this role.

Centre (Left) Back - Sean McLoughlin
On loan from Hull, the 22 year old centre half was actually recalled by his parent club due to good performances. Sean is young, strong and quick for this league, and although his passing isnt great, he will be able to do what I need him to do.

Centre (Right) Back - Kirk Broadfoot
Kirk is currently in his second spell at the club after coming through the youth academy before making the move to Rangers. Spells down south, and a few good seasons at Kilmarnock have saw his profile rise. He finds himself back at St Mirren for a second spell after a fall out with KIlmarnock manager Alessio

Right Back - Paul McGinn
Paul is the brother of St Mirren captain Stephen McGinn and Aston VIlla's John McGinn. All 3 McGinn brothers came through St Mirrens youth academy and moved on to other clubs - two of which are now in their second spell. Paul initially moved to Dundee after failing to make the breakthrough into the first team, after spells at Chesterfield and Partick Thistle, Paul returns to the club as a wing back. The right back isnt the quickest but he does possess a good crossing ability. Defensively, his attributes are not too bad at this level either.

Centre (Left) Midfielder - Kyle Magennis
Kyle is the latest product of the St Mirren Academy and has cemented his position at centre midfield. AT 20 years old he has plenty of time ahead of him and potential to improve. He can however be prone to injury which I will need to be careful off. Kyle will be a regular starter for my club given the potential to develop, and the ability he currently possess.

Centre (Right) Midfield - Sam Foley
This one was tough as I actually have 3 other players than can play in this role. Sam Foley, Stephen McGinn and Ryan Flynn. With McGinn injured for 3 months, I opted for Foley, largely down to his higher starts for passing. Flynn however will be good backup for the advance playmaker.

Winger (Left) - Ilkay Durmus
Durmus is a new addition to the St Mirren side. Again he's quick for this level and appears to have a good ability for crossing as well. His finishing isnt great, but it'll do for now.

Attacking Midfield - Tony Andreu
Andreu came through the AS Monoco youth academy and found himself in Hamilton (Scotland) where he made a name for himself. He earned a £1 million move to Norwich where he struggled to make an impact. Now back in Scotland i'll be hoping the ageing attacker can make the same impact he had in his first spell in Scotland, create plenty of goals and hopefully score a few himself.

Winger (RIght) - Kyle McAllister
Kyle is another SMA graduate. After making his breakthrough under manager Alex Rae, McAllister moved to Derby for £300k after just 10 appearances. Injury and TV money ruined his chances down south though and he returned on loan to help St Mirren achieve safety in the play-offs. Kyle is quick, can cross, a great dribbler of the ball and can shoot from distance - most importantly he's still only 20. He will also hopefully be a mainstay of the starting XI

Striker - Jonathan Obika
This man once player in the same Spurs Youth team as Gareth Bale. He now finds himself in Paisley. More effective as a target man, I'll play Obika just now until I find a striker that can better fill the advanced forward role.

Club Staff

1581264037873.png

On the staffing front, there's a fair bit of work to do. I'm not overly happy with the level of coaches I have, and my scouting team isnt great. This is the same for all levels of the club - from my Under 18's, right through to my first team. I'll also update this as I progress to show how the staff changes over time.

Between looking for a new left back, a new striker and an entire new staffing team, it's going to be a busy pre-season.

Finances

1581290026692.png

As it stands, my current club finances are good. I'm not playing in Europe so for now I dont have to worry about FFA regulations. Just now I am focusing on the wage budget and the transfer budget. The wage budget is currently under control. I can maybe bring in one decent quality player before I need to start thinking about shipping out another player on loan or transfer.

My transfer budget is looking a little low for what I want to try and bring in, however after looking at my clauses, I could gamble and cash out on the 330k sell on fee for Lewis Morgan and hope he doesnt sell for a higher amount. I'm going to try and free wheel in the unattached players market just now and see if I can identify any gems.

1581290009944.png

The Search for New Players

So the search is currently underway to identify a new left back and a new striker. I've also been looking at an additional centre attacking midfielder. Currently Rickie Lamie of Livingston has caught my attention.

Lamie is naturally a centre back, however can play at left back. Lamie is strong player that has good stats in heading, tackling and marking for my current level. My scouts also say that he's a decent player for Premiership level. My issue is that he isnt particularly quick, crossing ability is almost non-existent and acceleration isnt great either. Lamie may also cost me anywhere between £145k and £400k, which is a fair amount to spend.
1582145701148.png

Craig Sibbald is another player that has caught my eye, also of Livingston. Sibbald is a central midfielder who can play in a central attacking role. Early scouting reports show him as having a good first touch and good passing, with fairly good finishing - he's also on the transfer list. I've instructed my scouts to take a closer look

1582146981494.png

So far we've still had no luck in attracting a suitable player to the club to join my first team. Its proving rather difficult to make a signing.

We're now about to commence the Betfred Cup Group Stages.

1582151208200.png

Stranraer is the first side I will face in a competitive game as a manager. Currently, my team stands as the initial staring XI I posted, with a handful of youth players being promoted to the first team.

St Mirren 3-1 Stranraer

1582228245383.png

Still unable to make any new signings, I opted for the above starting XI - 3 St Mirren Academy players (Erhahon, McMaster and Breadner) were selected for the bench. The opposition, Stranraer, predictably opted for go for a highly defensive tactic.

St Mirren got off to a good start in the league cup with an 18th minute close range strike from Kyle McAllister. The team worked the ball around the park well before MaGennis's pass to Andreu, who had his initial attempts saved twice, before McAllister slotted into an open net.

The young winger doubled St Mirren's league with a close range header from another St Mirren cross.

And it was to be 3-0 before half time with the winger completing his Hat-rick. A loose pass from the Stranraer defence allowed McAllister to steal the ball and race down the park to slot passed the helpless goalkeeper.

Unfortunately the Buddies could keep the clean sheet at a late consolation goal from Stranraer's Elliot completed the scoring at 3-1.

I've included a link below for the goals

Attachments

• 1582297970114.png
    1582297970114.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 57
Morton - St Mirren

1582299152255.png

Morton v St Mirren. It's not quite the Old Firm Derby, but it is a fiercely contested affair between the two Renfrewshire sides. I really want to win this one. I have a few early injury problems, and a small squad means i've had to use a few of the Academy players to fill the squad and bench. This game will be interesting. In defence i've gone for experience, as the injured McLoughlin i currently only fit enough for the bench (he wont actually be called upon as he is still recovering, and is only there to make up the numbers. McGinn and Waters take up the roles as the full backs (although I have had my scouts busy looking into a few interesting players). Sam Foley and Erhahon take up the centre midfield roles - with injuries to Flynn, McPherson and Magennis. Andreu will support my lone striker of Obika, whilst Durmus and Hatrick Hero McAllister will look to add width to the game.

*Fun Fact - I actually used to coach Adam Livingstone (Morton) prior to him signing as a professional.*

The game was nervy. Morton had a few early chances, although none really hit the target or threatned Hladky. Gary MacKenzie had a header from a McAllister free-kick rules out for offside. Then came the breakthrough. 19 year old, Academy graduate Ethan Erhahon found the Morton goal in the 44th minute - again McAllister's free-kick was left unanswered by the Ton defence, and Erhahon was found alone, and in space at the back post. Saints took a slender lead going in at half time.

The Second half saw a stronger St Mirren performance, once again McAllister danced through the Morton defence, and flashed a shot wide of the post. Tirdness set in and Durmus and McAllister where substituted for Morias and Breadner. Waters, playing a blinder of the left side of the park, teased a floated cross in for Obika to head home and make it 0-2 for the visitors.

It wasn't to be smooth sailing though, as Morton halved the deficit and made it 2-1 Nesbit sent a rare freekick into the St Mirren penalty box, where an unchallenged Livingstone headed passed Hladky. It went from bad to worse for St Mirren as Captain, MacKenzie saw red for a second yellow card and left The Buddies with 10 men, and no substitutions as Mullen had replaced the tired Obika.

Morton levelled the score in the 84th minute as Bob McHugh fired passed the Saints goalkeeper, who really should have done better!

However, it was to be Saints Day in the Sun as Tony Andreau fired in 4 minutes later to make it 2-3 to the Buddies!

What this game has shown me is that I really need to get a few new players in soon. With my midfield injury struck, I may need to bring in one or two additional players there, and a centre back might prove vital as well, even if its a youth player to provide cover where required and gain experience off my two older centre halves. I need to find the right balance. I can't just go and sign 4 or 5 players and let them think they are going to play every week. I have a core of players I'd like to use each week, and the rest will be used as rotation. Wages is another issue, I cant afford to give everyone £1k+ a week, so I'd need to bring in a few lower wage players, without impacting the quality and harmony of the squad.

Reinforcements

So, whilst I was working through the Morton game, I had a few things cooking in the background. Benjamin Kimpioka joins on a season long loan from Sunderland, and will play a vital back up role to ease Durmus, Morias, Breadner and McAllister, Kimpioka can also play as a central attacking midfield which will provide devent cover for Andreu. He's quick and has bags of ability, and was in demand by a few Championship sides. He's maybe not quite ready yet to be a first team player, but he's got bags of potential and it provides a quick option for my team.

1582302022219.png

Another player who joins is 27 year old Tam O'Brien, who joins for £17k from Arbroath. Again recruited to provide cover for the currently injury hampered centre of defence, Tam provides a good level of strength. Although the reports don't rate him overly highly at 3 stars, I'm surprisingly pleased with his stats and am hoping this one pays off to be a slight bargain.

1582302034233.png

Albion Rovers - St Mirren

1582302349201.png

New signing O'Brien is cup tied for this one so misses out. However, McLoughin has returned from injury and takes the suspended MacKenzie's place in the team. Henderson takes place for Erhahon, who drops to the bench to rest. McGinn and Waters continue to play as their is currently no one to allow them to recover. Mullen takes lone striker role over Obika, and Morias starts to give Durmus a rest. Lyness starts over Hladky, just to see what he can do.

Like the previous 2 games, McAllister makes a real nuisance of himself, and torments the Albion defence. A quick corner to Mullen is sent back to McAllister who, again, crosses for Mullen to head passed the goalkeeper. 0-1.

McAllister again from a set piece, this time finding McLoughin's head finds the back of the net. However it is flagged for offside.

However, it was quickly 0-2 St Mirren as Foley found the net. A quick throw-in from McGinn found Morias, who passed to the unmarked Foley.

Shortly after, it was 0-3 to St Mirren. This time Andreu with a 25 yard free kick which was low and hard into the bottom right of the Albion goal.

WIth St Mirren dominating possession, it was only a matter of time before they scored again. This time a Morias cross found Danny Mullen, for the striker to grab his second, and St Mirren's fourth.

Slack St Mirren defending allowed Byrne to make it 1-4 from a simple route 1 ball.

The second half was much the same, as McAllister once again found McLoughlin from a free-kick, this time there was no offside flag. Andreu also made way for new boy Kimpioka.

So far, I have seen how vital McAllister is to this side. I think he may be the key to a successful season. Morias and Durmus have played well on the opposite wing, but don't have nearly the same impact as Kyle. Obika has largely been ineffective when he has played as a loan striker. In the once game Mullen has played as a lone striker he has been much better and much more effective.

Behind the scenes there are still a few things boiling over. I am looking to bring in one marquee signing, however i'm still not completely convinced I can get it over the line. Adding to my ever growing list of walking wounder is Calum Waters, who will be out for around a week.

Gibson Joins Saints

Derek Gibson joins the Saints of a free deal. Derek was signed by my Head of Youth Recruitment and will join my under 18's team.
1582303940131.png

St MIrren - Falkirk

1582304344300.png

The final game of the Betfred Cup Group stage sees me take on Falkirk in a home tie. Falkirk are a tough fixture to have, and although I have already qualified, I still want to win all my games. McLoughlin drops out again to rest, whilst Erhahon takes the place of the injured (but recovering) Waters. Morias comes into allow Andreu a rest, and Durmus returns to the starting XI. Jay Henderson from the Academy makes a start due to good training reports from my coaches.

Falkirk drew first blood with a wonder strike from Toshney. St Mirren looked stunned as it really went across the run of play. However, things quickly levelled out when Mullen showed his composure to level from the spot after being brought down by Buchanan.

Danny got his second of the game and put St Mirren ahead after firing home the rebound from close range after Kyle McAllisters freekick was saved, but not held.

This was a difficult game, however it once again showed me teams reliance on McAllister. The majority of the passing came down the right side and the majority of the passes were directed to him. He didnt have the best of games this time round, however he did create the goals for Mullen. Once again, starting Mullen worked well. He scored another 2 goals and created plenty of opportunities on the park for the team. I am however concerned with the number of goals we are conceding. So far I have conceded in each of my cup games. I am however please with the number of goals I am scoring, and I hope the confidence continues into the first game of the season against Livingston.

On the transfer front, I have offers in for 2 players - a left back and a midfielder. The left back, if I can push it through will hopefully replace Waters as my starting left back (and a transfer I am very pleased with). The midfielder is someone we have seen before, and after receiving the full scouting report, I am looking to push through.

1582367677555.png

Saints received a boost to their transfer budget with Norwich's sale of Kenny McLean to Jeonbuk. The £11million sale resulted in Aberdeen receiving a tidy 33% of the transfer. As part of an agreement between St Mirren and Aberdeen when McLean joined the Dons, St Mirren received 10% of any future fees and income from the player.

As can also be seen from the chat log, I am about to make my next signing in the form of Craig Sibbald.

1582367903216.png

Sibbald will join from Premiership Rivals, Livingston, for a fee of 61k. This now leaves me with just under 500k to strengthen my side. I've got a few more irons in the fire and am diligently working away to bring in more faces to improve the St Mirren size. Sibbald will bring increased vision to my midfield, and provide depth to a squad still struggling from injury. Sibbald was my intended marquee signing, however with my increased transfer budget, I may look to make a stronger signing.

The Season Commences

1582391437752.png

So before we begin the season, i'll take a quick look at my pre-season and League Cup Group Stage results.

As can be seen from the above, I have yet to lose a game. However, in reality I am yet to face a strong opponent yet. My pre-season tour of Australia went well, and my follow up friendlies were also a success. These friendlies allowed me to prepare my team to play in their new formation.

However, since my transfers didn't arrive till after the friendlies, they have yet to be fully integrated into the squad. I'm hoping this will happen quickly. The cup went well, I won all 4 of my games. My problem is that I have played lesser teams and have conceded in all but 2 games so far. I am concerned that this will cause problems when I face tougher opposition, such as Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen or Hibernian. Again, I am hoping my defence settles quickly, and manage to shore up the back line. Hladky is a strong goalkeeper and, I'm hopeful that he will prove the difference in staying up, and potentially springing a league or cup surprise.

Next up is Livingston at home. Livingston were promoted at the same time as St Mirren (as runners up) however, since then they have grown and progressed significantly better than St Mirren have. They will be a tough opposition to play. This is followed by an away game at Motherwell, who are one of the strongest teams in the league in my opinion, and will prove difficult.

Dundee is my next opposition in the League Cup, they are in a division lower but still have a fairly strong team. Rangers and Hearts will both be difficult games, and I will be lucky to take anything from them. If I can take 6 points out of 12 from my first 4 games of the season I will be pleased. I would also like to progress to the next stage of the cup, however I am going to utilise Academy and fringe players in the cup to allow my first team time to rest.

Currently, my squad stands at 28 players, 4 of these are listed for loan, and I may send out one or two more of my younger players who I believe may make it as future first team players. There are also one or two players that may leave. Realistically, I would like to have a squad size of 21 - including 3 goalkeepers to allow for rest and competition. I'll keep you all updated as the game progresses.

Transfer Business

That's my transfer business done for this window.

In
- Tam O'Brien - 15k - Arbroath
- Derek Gibson - Free Transfer - Free
- Craig Sibbald - 53k - Livingston
- Robert Muirhead - Free Transfer - Free
- Paul Watson - 62k - Dundee United
- Callum Hendry - 99k - St Johnstone
Total Spend £229k

Out
- Cameron Breadner - Loan - Queen of the South
- Jay Henderson - Loan - BSC Glasgow
- Dean McMaster - Loan - Civil Service
Dominic Lavelle - Loan - Gala Farydean Rovers
Alex McCaw - Loan - Gretna 2008

1582395402732.png

£62k is a fairly substantial sum of money to pay for a player in the Scottish Top Flight outside of Rangers and Celtic, however Watson will provide backup for both centre back and right back positions. At 28 years old there's still a few years left in this players prime, and after signing him, his value has gone to £98k. Watson is a fairly quick and strong player and can cross as well. Due to the vast number of fixtures I will play, I needed another right back to cover McGinn. Watson seemed like a good answer to that problem.

1582395421034.png

Finally, another striker into my side. Hendry is quick, can finish, is fairly tricky and is young. At 21 years old I'm expecting good things from this striker. Ok £99k is a fair chunk of money, but I believe it will be worth it. Mullen and Hendry will fight it out for the starting XI. I havent been overly impressed with Obika, but he's still there to be used.