s6dj

Reaction score
San Marino Calcio

View attachment 417702

As i'm sure everyone on this Forum knows, San Marino Calcio are a team who despite hailing from the tiny nation baring the same name, actually play their football in the 3rd tier of Italian Football, the Seria C1A. I intend to take on the well known challenge set by Kandersson, first of all by taking over the club team and making them a force in Italian and eventually European football, before then turning my attention to also taking over the national team and hopefully making them a major player in World football too.

The database I am using (From the Neoseeker forum) seems to have been edited slightly so that players can take San Marino citizenship after only 3 years and not the regulatory 25, however when I eventually take over the national team I intend not to use any player who's primary nationality is not that of San Marino, as I feel that will spoil the fun and make the International portion of the challenge easier.

I will also look to complete a few of the challenges set by kandersson on his thread, with my ultimate goal to dominate Italian football using a side full of home grown talent, preferably all from San Marino, but if not then definitely players produced by the club itself.

I have already started the season and played the first few games, so the first proper update will contain the signings, a little background info on the club and the first quarter of my campaign at the helm of the club.

2013/14 - Part One

The first thing I noticed about the squad was that most of the players were both very young and on loan, so I felt it necessary to bring in experience all through the team. With this in mind I made a total of 4 signings, 2 defenders, 1 midfielder and a striker.
View attachment 455408

View attachment 455412
Loria is a good centre back, and although he is getting on in years he has excellent mental stats and can even still move quite well for a 36 yr old.

View attachment 455411
Despite being a natural right back, I plan to play this fella on the right of my 3 centre backs, with his lack if height and heading ability being covered by his more than respectable physical stats for this level.

View attachment 455410
I feel this is the best player i've signed with the most to offer, he is well rounded and hardworking as well as knowing where the net is.

View attachment 455409
Mateos doesn't look up to much but San Marino are desperately lacking in centre midfield cover in the first season, and with his passing ability he will come in to offer an alternative to the young Italians in my midfield.

I've decided to break the season up into 3 parts, as with there only being 16 teams in the division this means only a short 30 game campaign, with no relegation in the first season due to the future restructuring of the Italian footballing pyramid. This meant no real pressure as our board simply wanted consolidation, however I felt the squad was better than this and could push for one of the many playoff places on offer. (Though i'm still not sure how many are gonna be promoted)

​Up next - The first 10 league games and our first (and hopefully only) foray into the Serie C Cup.

I admire your sober transfer policy, I wish I could do the same ;)

good luck with the challenge

Haha there's nothing to say that will continue to be the case mate!

Just got in from work, so will start writing the next update now and hopefully get it up before I go to football later.

2013/14 Season - Part One

View attachment 418325

San Marino 2-0 Rimini (Serie C Cup)
(Ucha 51, Draghetti 58)

we started our Serie C Cup campaign with a comfortable victory over Rimini, with debutant Ucha on the scoresheet
Santarcangelo 1-1 San Marino ( Serie C Cup)

(Ucha 90+2)
A one all draw away sees us through as group winners as the game between the other 2 sides ends in a draw.

San Marino 3-2 Cremonese
(Mateos 5 + 51, Graffeidi 58)

Our league season begins with a hard fought 3-2 win over highly fancied Cremonese, another new signing Mateos with a well taken brace.

Reggiana 3-6 San Marino
(Ucha 4, Del Piero 10, Graffiedi 33 + 55, Cintoi 38, Poletti 88)

A real ding-dong battle ends in our favour despite our opponents coming from behind 3 times

San Marino 3-2 Como
(Ucha 22 + 36, Graffiedi 39)

Our record of goals at both ends continues, with another high scoring affair ending in our favour.

Carrarese 1-4 San Marino
(Cintoi 22, Del Piero 86, Gavilan 88, Sensi 91)

3 late goals but to be honest we deserved this win in what was our most dominant performance so far.

AlbinoLeffe 4-3 San Marino
(Ucha 13, Poletti 22, Villanova 81)

Annoyed with this defeat as not only did we lead 2-0 at one point, none of the 4 goals we conceded were from open play! Cintoi playing a 4.9 no doubt hampered us too, he was fined 2 weeks wages at full time.

San Marino 4-1 Pagliese (Serie C Cup)
(Sensi 15, Graffeidi 28, 59 + 70)

Another lower league side comfortably dispatched, with their consolation coming after sloppy defending in the last minute. Managed to field a couple of young San Marino midfielders that were generated at the start of the game.

San Marino 1-1 Vicenza
(Poletti 24)

Annoyingly conceded yet another set piece in the last minute, though the highlight of this game was undoubtedly Cintoi taking a throw in on line with the centre circle halfway up the pitch? Madness...

League Table

View attachment 455147

We tailed off slightly after our 100% start, however i'm more than happy to be in 3rd place after the first 6 games, and slightly surprised that despite banging in 20 goals in that time i'm not the divisions leading scorers! Cremonese have had a 7-1 and 6-0 win and look like real contenders even though i've already managed to beat them. Alto at the top have been sneaking wins and I expect them to tail off before too long

Player of the Update

Mattia Graffeidi
View attachment 455146

This award could have gone to one of 3 players, with new signing Ucha and winger Poletti both excelling in the first few games. However i'm giving the gong to Graffeidi, not only because he's averaging a goal a game and bagged a hat trick, but also because almost every goal he's scored has been an absolute worldie!
Decided to break the updates up more in the end to allow for cup games and potential end of season play off fixtures. Next update will contain another 9-10 games depending on how tired I am when I get back from football, thanks for reading!​

2013/14 Season - Part Two

View attachment 418606

Venezia 0 - 4 San Marino
(Poletti 5, Graffiedi 9 + 35, Ucha 38)

Back with a bang. Graffiedi went off injured in the second half and will be out for a month.​

San Marino 1 - 1 FeralpiSalo

(Gavilan 44)
Was coasting and should have been well in front then threw it away with their chance in the dying seconds.​

San Marino 4 - 1 Savona (Serie C Cup)
(Cicarevic 13, Del Piero 36 + 45, Ucha 41)

Raced into a 4 goal half time lead enabling me to field a few youngsters in the second half. Never won this cup so would like to go all the way.​

Lumezzane 2 - 3 San Marino
(Ucha 18, Villanova 22, Gavilan 75)

Made hard work of this against the bottom side. Back to the top with this win though.​

San Marino 0 - 0 Pavia

Their keeper played an absolute blinder. First time we've failed to score.​

Pro Vercelli 1 - 3 San Marino
(Cintoi 10, Ucha 42, Gavilan 58,)

They gave us a scare when they equalised but both strikers bagged either side of half time as we run out comfortable winners.

San Marino 1 - 1 Savona
(Gavilan 78)

Hammered them for 80minutes then got hit with a sucker punch on the break. Reyt annoyed with this draw.

Aldo Adige 2 - 2 San Marino
(Ucha 2 + 90)

After that early goal we were awful, and to be honest lucky not to get a hiding. Then we pinched an equaliser with virtually the last kick.

San Marino 4 - 4 Perugia (Serie C Cup)
(Gavilan 2 + 44, Cintoi 3, Ucha 14)
This was the first of another 2 game group containing 3 teams. Fuming that we threw away a 4 goal lead, and although we're not losing games all these draws and losing leads is becoming a real concern

League Table

View attachment 455030

Still looking comfortable and well inside the playoff places, however Cremonese are beginning to pull away as I feared, and unless we start to put together a consistent run of wins soon I think we will be entering the lottery of the playoff system. Any info on how the playoffs work in this division would be great appreciated. One pleasing factor is that we are proving very tough to beat, with just a solitary loss being the best record in the division
Player of the Update

Davide Poletti

View attachment 455028

An assist a game and 5 man of the match awards in the last 9 games means this award can only really go to one man. Poletti is our club captain and I will be looking for him to continue to lead from the front in the tough period of fixtures we have coming up.

2013/14 Season - Part Three

View attachment 419131

San Marino 3 - 0 Pro Patria
(Gavilan 37 & 53, Ucha 82)

A good confidence boosting win and a rare clean sheet, Gavilan's playing fantastic at the moment and keeping the now fit again Graffiedi on the bench.

Virtus Entella 3 - 1 San Marino

(Draghetti 17)

Didn't deserve anything from this game, and my keeper Venturi (8.7) saved us from a bit of a hiding.

Vicenza 1 - 2 San Marino (Serie C Cup)
(Vincini 18, Graffeidi 90)

A last minute winner by super sub Graffeidi puts us through as group winners again, and Vincini's goal marks the first by a Sammirenese national for the club.

Cremonese 0 - 3 San Marino

(Graffeidi 6 & 78, Ucha 75)

To take on the leagues leading scorers and one of my main promotion rivals, and not only beat them comfortably but keep a clean sheet too was very very pleasing indeed.

San Marino 4 - 2 Reggiana

(Graffiedi 7 & 22, Del Piero 64, Ucha 67 )

Could have easily been 10. My young Sammirenese winger Vincini is proving a real handful for defences and lays on another 2 assists to mark his first call up to the full national squad.

Como 0 - 2 San Marino

(Graffeidi 12, Ucha 42)

Graffeidi clearly didn't like the bench and has been on fire since I brought him back, with Mr Reliable Ucha also on the scoresheet in this routine victory.

San Marino 3 - 0 Carrarese
(Vincini 57, Ucha 61, Graffeidi 83)

2 quick fire goals second half swung this tie in our favour before our talisman Graffiedi added a third late on.

San Marino 0 - 0 AlbinoLeffe

2nd met 1st in a massive promotion six pointer, so I guess it was an inevitability that the game was never going to live up to the hype surrounding it. We had the best chances and probably should have nicked it but Venturi also made a fantastic save from point blank range at the death.
Cremonese took advantage of the result and leapfrogged both clubs to hit the summit once more.

Vicenza 0 - 4 San Marino
(Carra 21, Ucha 54, Poletti 58, Gavilan 75)

Carra scores 21 minutes into his debut in this dominant win over mid table Vicenza

League Table

View attachment 454785

It's getting very tight at the top with ourselves, Cremonese and AlbinoLeffe all battling it out for that promotion spot. The lead has changed hands several times over the last few weeks with all of us leading at least once since the last update.

Player of the Update

Giacomo Venturi

View attachment 454780

It's been no coincidence that the vast improvement in our defensive record has coincided with a string of match winning performances from my Keeper. Venturi, on loan from Bologna has put in a number of 8.5 and higher displays and thoroughly deserves this accolade, hope I can bring him back again next term.

Other News

I added two players to the squad in the January Transfer Window, with Alberto Filiciotto joining on loan from Alessandria for the rest of the season to add some much needed depth to our midfield.

I also completed the signing of right winger Alexis Carra on a free transfer to provide competition to young Vincini and hopefully further aid his development. His pace and decent crossing ability for this level will hopefully prove crucial in the run in.

There were no permanent outgoings, however I decided to terminate the loans of 2 young strikers that were at the club when I arrived. Both barely featured and if i'm honest I probably should have done it earlier as between them they were earning 1.2k a week, which doesn't sound much however money is a precious commodity when crowds and TV money are both almost none existent.

Former Serie A player David Suazo joined the club as Reserves Manager.

I also signed a new 1 year deal with the club resulting in a 2k pw wage budget increase, giving me the bit of room I needed to add a couple of extra midfielders to the squad.

l
The next update will contain the final league games along with the semi final of the Serie C Cup, can I go onto will the league or will we run out of steam and have to face the playoff lottery...

2013/14 Season - Part Four

First of all i've decided to change these updates slightly, partly to make them easier to read and also to make them a little easier to write, as my Mac often has a mind of it's own and decides to move and delete things without warning. After this season I plan to move to monthly updates to bring a little more structure to the story.

View attachment 419164

2014 Youth Intake

View attachment 454739

Not much to see in the first intake as expected due to the poor starting facilities, however we did get one decent player..

View attachment 454738

14 year old Volinpari has the potential to be a leading Serie B right back, so although he may not have a long term future in the club first team, if he is nurtured right he could become an integral part of the national team in the next few years.

Serie C1A
San Marino 5
Venezia 2

(Graffeidi 3, Ucha, Carra)

We were 5-0 up at one point, so I was a little annoyed to concede 2 at the end. This win puts us back at the top.

Serie C1A
San Marino 1
Lumezzane 0
(Ucha)

Boring game where we had the only clear cut change and Ucha tucked it away with ease. We also secured one of the 8 playoff places with this win

Serie C1A
FeralpiSalo 1
San Marino 4
(Graffeidi 2, Ucha, Paolini)

Paolini's first of the season was an absolute belter of a free kick from 30 yards. 10 games unbeaten now in all competitions.

Serie C1A
Pavia 1
San Marino 2
(Carra, Poletti)

Should have been far more comfortable than it was as we missed a host of chances throughout the game.

Serie C Cup Semi Final First Leg
San Marino 3
Venezia 1
(Ucha, Gavilan, Filliciotto)

We had 2 goals disallowed then gave away a late penalty to keep Venezia in the tie going into the second leg. Graffeidi tore his calf and will be out for the rest of the season.

Serie C1A
San Marino 2
Pro Vercelli 2

(Ucha, Gavilan)

2 up then conceded both goals from free kicks which was frustrating. Luckily Cremonese and AlbinoLeffe both lost.

Serie C Cup Semi Final Second Leg
Venezia 0 (1)
San Marino 2 (5)
(Ucha, Mateos)

We make it into the final with a solid away win and our 4th victory over Venezia of the season. We will face FeralpiSalo in the final.

Serie C1A
Savona 2
San Marino 5
(Sensi 2, Mateos, Vicini, Ucha)

A high scoring game but once we were in front we were never really at risk here. This win leaves us 3 points of Cremonese with 3 games left, AlbinoLeffe have fallen away and can no longer catch up.

Serie C Cup Final First Leg
San Marino 0
FeralpiSalo 1

We had a mountain of injuries in the run up to this game, and a severely weakened team went down without much of a fight, will take a lot to turn it round in the second leg. My first home defeat as boss.

Serie C1A
San Marino 2
Alto Adige 0
(Ucha, Guarco)

CHAMPIONS!! We scored very early then had Draghetti sent off after half an hour, hung on till the 80th minute then back up player Guarco scored his first goal of the season.Cremonese lost leaving them 6 points behind us with 2 games to play, and our better head to head record makes it impossible for them to catch us.

Serie C1A
Alto Adige 1
San Marino 1
(Gavilan)

Played a few youngsters to rest players for the cup final and they did a decent job, holding 4th placed Alto Adige to a draw.

Serie C Cup Final First Leg
FeralpiSalo 1 (2)
San Marino 2 (2) A
(Ucha, Sensi)

We complete a league and cup double albeit on away goals, but it was nice to win this trophy in what hopefully will be our only appearance in the competition.

Serie C1A
San Marino 3
Virtus Entella 0
(Vicini, Ucha, Gavilan)

A nice way to end the season, and nice to see Sammirenese winger Vicini back amongst the goals after a long lay off with injury.

Serie C1 Super Cup

This is a fixture played at the end of the season between the winner of C1A and C1B, I wasn't too bothered about this cup to be honest hence the limited write up. We played Benevento over two legs and ended up winning 4-1 on aggregate to complete a clean sweep of trophies for the season.

League Table

View attachment 454704

We end up 6 points ahead of 2nd place Cremonese, with AlbinoLeffe falling apart in the final third of the season and ending up 13 points off the pace. I've got to be honest I didn't think I was going to win the league at the halfway stage, and it was a pleasant surprise to put such a long unbeaten run together in the second half of the season.

Review

I'm not going to do a player of the update just yet as I will put it together with all the in game awards in the End of Season Review post, which will be up later this evening.

Cheers mate, I took inspiration from Chrissydude's Under Pressure tactic and converted it into my own 3-5-2 formation, with 3 centre halves and a flat 5 across the middle.

End of season post will be up shortly, was going to leave it until tomorrow but this England match is so boring its untrue.

2013/14 - Season Review

As the results showed this was an extremely successful season for the club, as we ended up completing a clean sweep of all 3 trophies we entered, despite being predicted to come bottom of the league at the start of the season. I'm particularly pleased to have done this without spending a penny and by only bringing in a total of 6 players, with my faith on the clubs starting squad being repaid no end.

Final Standings

View attachment 454657

We ended up winning the league simply by being very difficult to beat, and the fact that we only lost 2 all season more than made up for the fact we drew 8 games which is more than I would have liked. To remain unbeaten at home however is a major positive, and tells me our home form is going to be crucial to our survival in Serie B next term. I'm not entirely sure how the new league structures are going to work, but as far as i'm aware there aren't going to be any changes to the Serie B format, so fingers crossed the new style leagues will never affect San Marino!

View attachment 454658
View attachment 454659

We also performed very well in both cups, and even though neither were a priority it was a nice touch to win both at the first (and hopefully only) time of asking. I thought we'd lost the cup after that home defeat to FeralpiSalo, but to come back and win it away from home made it even sweeter.

Player Stats

View attachment 454660

Club captain Davide Poletti led the way in the rating charts, averaging 7.9 over the season whilst racking up 25 assists and 11 MOTM awards in the process, not bad for a winger who's now approaching his 33rd birthday. Honourable mentions also to Mattia Graffeidi, who I have no doubt would have ended up the leagues leading scorer if his season hadn't been hampered by injury, and keeper Giacomo Venturi who, after a shaky first few games, went on to be instrumental in our long unbeaten run and finish as one of our two ever-presents this season.

Player of the Season
Gonzalo Ucha

View attachment 454661

There were a number of contenders for this award including the 3 players singled out above, however I felt Ucha deserved this award for being my only outfield ever present this campaign, along with banging in 30 goals in all competitions to boot. He was only one goal off winning the leagues leading scorer award, and i'm pleased to have him contracted for another season.

Finances

View attachment 454662

In short, not good. We're almost ?1million in the red and I cant see this changing until we make it into Serie A as the money in the next league is not much better than this. Going to have to try and work miracles on a tiny budget next season I feel, though to be honest it could be argued i've already done that once already.

Sammirenese Update

Going to keep this part brief for now as i'm not yet manager of the national team, but as expected it has not gone well for San Marino on the international scene. They have lost every game except one 3-3 draw with fellow minnows Gibraltar. I have 4 players in the full senior squad, though only Vicini regularly turns out for my first team. The U21's are largely populated with my players (16 of them to be preciser) including the young right back from my youth intake who is progressing nicely.

Next Season

I can't see our first season in Serie B being anything other than a mighty struggle, as i'm expecting a low budget due to the debts, and i'll be losing a good proportion of my first team as their loans come to an end. I'm sure people will be wanting me to steamroller the next division and hit Serie A so I can start working on developing the Sammirenese youth, however I see this as a much longer term game and project, and right now would happily settle for 1 place outside the drop zone next season.(19th I think)

I'm gonna have a fair old scout tonight while our lass is at work, so the next update will either be late on tonight or tomorrow, containing my summer business and July friendlies.​

Last edited:
Just a little addition here, but ridiculously despite finishing in 9th... the bottom half of the league and only on 35 points.. Pro Patria went onto win 5 playoff games and win promotion up to Serie B.. outrageous.

Nice work mate! Keep us updating. A lot of fun to read it! Im starting a San Marino save as we speak. We'll see if i manage to get them promoted first season as you did. My goal is to at least reach the semi-finals of the playoffs. Cheers!

Last edited:
Cheers mate, glad you're enjoying it, it's been the most enjoyable save i've played in a long while. Good luck with your game!

I'll have my July post up soon which contains summer transfers and friendlies.. and a pleasant surprise on the finance front.

July

View attachment 420464

Much to my surprised San Marino are actually quite well sponsored, with new sponsors totalling over ?2million at the end of the season.

View attachment 454253

This put the club over ?1million back in the black, which lead to a pleasant surprised when the board announced the initial budgets.

View attachment 454252

I moved most of the transfer budget across to wages, which meant I was given a wage budget of 73k p/w in order to keep us in Serie B. With that in mind I set off on a free transfer hunt to add depth and quality to what is now a tiny squad.

View attachment 454251

The board also upgraded the junior coaching, not likely to make a noticeable difference to youth intakes straight away but a step in the right direction nonetheless.

Transfers

View attachment 454250

I actually got a little bit carried away with the new found wage budget and ended up adding more players to the squad than I had planned. I feel in hindsight this will end up being a good thing though as the squad has to cope with an extra 12 league games this season. I was particularly pleased to extend the loan of keeper Venturi for another season after fighting off interest from a host of other clubs. I wont bore you by screenshotting all of the players, and instead i'll just give a sample of what I consider to be my best signings of the summer.

View attachment 454248

View attachment 454247

View attachment 454246

View attachment 454245

View attachment 454244

There aren't particularly any standout players amongst the signings, however I feel I have added considerable depth and experience to the squad which will hopefully be enough to keep us up in Serie B this season. I only spent money on one player all summer who ironically isn't the highest quality of all the signings.

I also revamped the backroom staff, most importantly adding a Head of Youth Development with 16 Judging player potential and 17 working with youngsters, who is sure to be an asset at future youth intakes.

Friendlies

Libertas 2
San Marino 4
(Coletti, Croeccti 2, Coppola)

Pavia 5
San Marino 1
(Carra)

Pietracuta 0
San Marino 7
(Ucha 3, Moi 2, Coletti, Ciciretti)

Misano 0
San Marino 7
(Cori, Gavilan 2, Poletti, Coppola, Tomi, Mateos)

A mixed bag in the friendlies, not sure where the Pavia result came from, however the two 7-0 wins were pleasing. In the second game against Misano (who aren't a good side) we actually managed to have 40 shots to their 1 which was excellent. I tried to give game time to all of my new players, and these early results show that they are beginning to gel nicely

The next update will contain the first 3 league games from August, as well as our first foray into the Italian Cup, where we will face either Grosseto or Catanzaro in what looks a very winnable tie.

August

View attachment 420568

Italian Cup Second Qualifying Round

San Marino 2
Cantanzaro 1
(Ciciretti, Gavilan)

We hammered Cantanzaro here and should have won by far more. An excellent way to start the competitive season.

Italian Cup Third Qualifying Round

Atalanta 3
San Marino 1
(Coppola)

We had the better chances in this game and were unlucky to lose, but a good display nonetheless against our first Serie A opposition.

Serie B

San Marino 1
Spezia 3
(Gaeta)

Brought back down to earth with a bump. Conceded 2 goals very early and never really got back into it.

Serie B

Varese 2
San Marino 2
(Coppola, Gaeta)

We went behind twice but showed good character and determination to battle back for the draw.

Serie B

San Marino 3
Avellino 0
(Gavilan, Gaeta 2)

A convincing win and good to get our first of the season. Gavilan's goal was an absolute belter.

League Table

View attachment 454212

Not much to take from the table this early on, however seeing the name San Marino closer to the top of the division than the bottom was a very refreshing sight. Padova were definitely the most exciting side to watch this month with 26 goals netted in their 3 games, including one match which ended 8-5!

Overview

So our cup run was short lived, however it was pleasing to put in such a good display against Serie A side Atlanta and arguably edge the match.

I was a little worried at how easily we went down in our first game in Serie B, but we got it together after that and even ended the month with a convincing win over Avellino, who the bookies fancy to be at the business end of the table come the end of the season. The new players are still very unfamiliar with our formation, so much so that my tactic fluidity has dropped below half, though i'm hoping this will soon change with the games coming up thick and fast.

News

We have 32 players called up to represent than San Marino national team at various levels.

The board agree to improve our youth facilities for the first time! The work will cost ?350,000 and begin at the end of the season.

Player of the Month

View attachment 454211

Gaeta started the season on the bench, however after coming on and scoring in our first league game he has gone onto 4 league goals already this term, making him joint top scorer in the division at present.

September

View attachment 454175

Serie B

Benevento 0
San Marino 1
(Gaeto)

This one was a re run of the Serie C super cup from last season, and despite 19 shots on target it took us 84 minutes to break the deadlock, Gaeto continuing his excellent form by scoring his 5th goal of the season to bag us a priceless away win.

Serie B

San Marino 1
Sassuolo 1
(Gavilan)

Newly relegated Sassuolo are predicted to finish 1st this season so to get a draw has to be seen as a good result. We actually had the best of the game and Sassuolo scored with their only shot on target so must count ourselves unlucky not to win this one.

Serie B

Novara 2
San Marino 3
(Gavilan, Gaeta 2)

We got hammered in this game and to be honest we were very fortunate to win though. Gaeta is proving a real find finishing every chance that is put in front of him.

Serie B

Siena 1
San Marino 5
(Gaeta 4, Gavilan)

A first half hat trick from 'Goal Machine Gaeta' helped us to a thumping away win over struggling Siena.

Serie B

San Marino 2
Padova 1
(Gaeta 2)

We dominated this game against goal happy Padova to secure our 3rd win in a row.

League Table

View attachment 454177

We end the month in the lofty heights of second place, only a point behind early pace setters Brescia. Surprised to see promotion favourites Livorno and Siena both rooted to the foot of the table.

Overview

4 wins and a draw in our 5 games this month have given me a start to the season I could have only dreamed of back in may when we gained our first unlikely promotion. Our only points dropped this month were against Sassuolo who have arguably the best squad in the division, and even that game we should have won. As far as i'm aware there is only the 1 cup competition in Italy, meaning we are free to concentrate on the league without any distractions.

The squad is still only just over 50% familiar with my tactic and this gives me real hope that we might be able to maintain this promising start to the season once the players fully understand the way I want them to play.

News

Antonio Gaeta is selected in the Serie B team of the month.

My u19 team are a disappointing 17th out of 22 in their division, however Sammierenese youngster Volpinari and Albani are both progressing nicely and now apparently have the potential to be leading and good Serie A players respectively! Unfortunately both are still only 14 (according to their date of births they were actually 13 on intake day, even though it showed 14 on the screenshots?!) therefore it will be a while before you guys see either of them appearing in the first team updates.

The national team are still not fairing any better, starting their qualifying campaign with a 2-0 home defeat to Latvia.

Defending Serie A champions Juventus win only 1 of their first 6 games and sit dangerously close to the top flight relegation zone.

Player of the Month

Antonio Gaeta
View attachment 454176

Don't really want to keep giving the award to the same person every month, however it's impossible to look past Gaeta at the moment after his 8 goals in 5 starts this month fire us into the automatic promotion places.

Last edited:
Impressive start! Keep it up and you might get one of the playoffs spots. My regular season just finished, got in 9th place which means that I made the playoffs. Going up against Cremonese, will be a difficult game. Wish me luck!

Nope, lost the game 3-2. Was close though. The goal for next year will definitely be to get promotion!

October

View attachment 454149

Serie B

Latina 2
San Marino 2
(Ciciretti, Gaeta)

Threw away a 2 goal lead here after some calamitous defending in the second half.

Serie B

San Marino 3
Lanciano 1
(Gavilan 3)

I've got to be honest i'd never heard of this team when we kicked off, and they sprung no surprises as we ran out comfortable winners.

Serie B

Empoli 5
San Marino 4
(Ucha 3, Gavilan)

Gaeta went down with flu on the eve of the game but it was defending that was the issue in this ding-dong battle. Frustrated that we conceded from 3 corners and a last minute penalty.

Serie B

San Marino 1
Brescia 3
(Carra)
League leaders Brescia proved a cut above as we suffer consecutive league defeat for the first time under my stewardship. This was also my first home league defeat as boss. Centre half Ferraro was sent off and Gaeto picked up another injury which will sideline him for a fortnight.

League Table

View attachment 454147

The 2 defeats at the end of the month mean we slip to 6th place, 5 points off an automatic promotion spot. However as long as the top 3 don't pull too far in front (10 points I believe) then 3rd - 6th place end up in the playoffs to decide the 3rd promotion spot.

Overview

The month started promisingly but as we played the bigger sides our lack of cutting edge and frankly slightly inferior players started to show. That said, if someone had offered me a playoff place after 12 games at the start of the season i'd have snapped their hand off.

November is another tough month with games including Verona, Livorno and 'parent' club Cesena, all of whom have experienced top flight football in recent years.

News

I sign a new 2 year contract with the club worth ?2,500 a week.

Gaeta is now 4 goals clear in the race for the Serie B golden boot award.

Livorno, Sassuolo and Palermo all sack their respective managers.

Manuel Gavilan wins the goal of the month award with his 32 yard free kick in the defeat to Empoli

'Keeper Venturi is selected in the Team of the Month

Player of the Month
Alexis Carra
View attachment 454148

He missed the start of the season through injury, however since coming back into the team the winger, who was signed midway through our Serie C1A campaign shows exactly what we've been missing with a string of dazzling performances on the right wing.

This will be the last update for tonight I imagine, i'm writing the updates as I play so i'll get some of November played tonight then get it finished and posted after work tomorrow.