The Savior Cometh and Beyond - Aston Villa

Stevie99

Reaction score
200px-Talksport_logo.png

Lambert Sacked

images

Paul Lambert's disastrous reign as Aston Villa manager is over after Randy Lerner decides enough is enough and calls time on Lambert's career. Aston Villa are rock bottom of the Premier League and have won just games all season. Lambert's side were expected to be within the top half of the table but a disastrous run of form has seen the Villains freefall to the bottom of the league. Lambert has released a statement saying
"I am extremely disappointed with the decision and I am gutted to be leaving. I knew we weren't getting results but with the January Transfer Window I genuinely thought we could bring in one or two players to shake the momentum and help the club finish in the mid-table. I understand why I have been terminated but I personally don't feel that this was the right time. I wish the next manager success and I hope the club survive relegation."
Randy Lerner released a statement as well saying
"We weren't getting results and it didn't look like our luck was changing any time soon so I made the decision to sack Paul. Paul has been a gentleman throughout the process and I am sad to see him go but I feel the club need a new manager with fresh ideas and who can help us in our battle to survive relegation. I wish Paul Lambert every success in the future in his next role."
With Paul Lambert gone Sky Bet has released the odds on his replacement:
Alan Curbishley 6/4
Martin O'Neill 5/1
Gus Poyet 8/1
Gareth Southgate 10/1
More to follow

images

Aston Villa appoint Gareth Southgate as manager
Aston Villa have wound back the years to appoint ex player Gareth Southgate as manager on a contract until the end of the season. Southgate made 237 apperarences for Middlesbrough in total and had said in December that he had a point to prove in management and was looking for a new role. After his appointment, Southgate released a statement saying
"I am delighted to be back at Aston Villa, I spent six years at the club and it was brilliant and to be in charge is an honor. I have been brought in to save the club from relegation and although it didn't work out with Middlesbrough it is a new chapter and I will keep the club up. I have met the lads and they know what I expect and what the fans expect."
Southgate's appointment comes three days after Paul Lambert was sacked and fans have reacted well to Southgate's appointment.

I think "and fans have reacted well to Southgate's appointment" is a bit out of the realms of reality even for FM, he's hated at Villa Park!