The Secret Footballer: Fans stop gay footballers from coming out

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 3K

Joss

Reaction score
The Secret Footballer: Fans stop gay footballers from coming out.

A player's team-mates would have few problems with a gay footballer but abuse from the terraces stops players from being open about their sexuality

Justin-Fashanu-007.jpg

Justin Fashanu was the first openly gay footballer. Photograph: Allsport

I am not gay. But then I don't feel that I should have to "come out" and say as much. It is nobody's business but my own. The cricketer Steven Davies's recent declaration has triggered a spate of absurd media debates in an all too predictable attempt to uncover why the newspapers, TV, radio and websites have no gay footballer to chew up and spit out.

It is starting to feel as though the fault is with us players for not producing a gay professional on demand. Just to be clear, there is more chance of a player's civil partner saying: "Just get me a card this year" than the Premier League outing its first gay footballer. For a start, look at the media coverage that already surrounds the topic despite not even having anybody specific to hold up as an example – who would want to be at the centre of that?

If we apply the law of averages theory, it is highly likely there are gay players among the professional ranks of football, despite its culture. That said (and with apologies for stereotyping here), anyone watching players arriving at a match for the first time could be forgiven for thinking the game was played exclusively by homosexual men, such is the attention to detail given to hair placement, general attire and a luxury gentleman's wash bag – don't even get me started on some of the things I have seen produced from the latter.

The reality is that I don't "officially" know any gay footballers, although I suspect I have been only a Jäger bomb or two away from a team-mate confiding in me. What we are all agreed on, however, is that there is principally one very good reason that gay players would keep their sexual allegiance firmly in the locker: the fans.

For the most part football supporters give out stick that qualifies as banter. But every now and again an element will cross the line. From abusing players for their skin tone to their nationality, certain fans will grab hold of anything if they can get a cheap laugh and be able to tell their mates down the pub later on what they shouted out.

It takes an awful lot to sicken me on a football pitch, probably because I am desensitised, having heard it all before. In certain sections of some grounds I am so used to hearing discriminatory chants that those people may as well be shouting out their weekly shopping list. There is one man at a London club who shouts the same thing at me from the same seat every season. Now I just smile and he laughs, happy that I have heard him.

Unfortunately, whereas I am now hardened, others are still forming their protective shell. I saw a talented young kid reduced to tears in the changing room because of the abuse he took from a couple of buffoons a few years ago. He never told anyone what was said and nobody ever asked him but, thinking back, I can definitely guess.

So would you come out and then travel around the country playing football in front of tens of thousands of people who hate you? I wouldn't. I would be in the dressing room feeling hugely depressed that certain components to our great game make it all but impossible for me to do anything other than keep quiet. I would also have in mind the gay footballer Justin Fashanu, who tragically took his own life in 1998.

Thankfully football has moved on since those days, or has it? Rewind to Fratton Park, September 2008, when Sol Campbell was subjected to homophobic abuse and a section of Spurs supporters were caught on film singing: "Sol, Sol, wherever you may be, Not long now until lunacy, We won't give a **** if you are hanging from a tree, You are a Judas **** with HIV." Apologies if you didn't like reading those words. But spare a thought for how Campbell felt when he was listening to them.

Sadly, I'd say the general abuse players receive hasn't got much better. It is very rare that there is any appreciation of the opposition's great play, a stunning goal is normally met with a thousand hand gestures from the stands and our best talent is routinely booed with the sort of vigour and hatred that, I feel, offers us a precious insight into society as a whole.

Amazingly, having said all of that, I'm pretty sure a gay player would have few problems coming out to his team-mates if he were offered a hypothetical, "nobody outside the team will ever find out" clause. It isn't because we're a superior breed – even I wouldn't take on that argument with half the England team conspiring against me. Quite simply, it is because we're all about looking after ourselves and, consequently, we try not to get too involved with other players' trials and tribulations.

The changing room is a very harsh place to survive – say what you like about footballers' lack of intelligence (and people often do), the banter is razor-sharp and anything out of the ordinary is seized upon in a flash. But this is precisely the reason why a gay player would feel comfortable coming out here. A footballer is a footballer, it doesn't matter if you are black, white, straight or gay, players are at ease in this environment, where they are used to ****-taking.

But the terraces are a different ball game. We are not at home here and are very much on our guard around fans. The changing room offers a strange, familiar sanctuary where the preferred etiquette is to have a quick laugh, look as if you know what's going on and get on with things before anybody starts asking uncomfortable questions such as: "Are you gay, mate?"

Follow the Secret Football on Twitter @TSFguardian

The Secret Footballer is an exclusive column every week in the Guardian.

Think it's shocking how footballers can't come out because of the abuse they would receive. Fashanu's case was tragic, and it's a real shame for footballers who might be gay.

We should be in a time where it does not matter whether you are straight/gay/bi. Unfortunately not as too many idiots cant see beyond someone doing a job regardless of their sexual orientation.

I think it's sad that TSF is absolutely spot on.

'Rewind to Fratton Park, September 2008, when Sol Campbell was subjected to homophobic abuse and a section of Spurs supporters were caught on film singing: "Sol, Sol, wherever you may be, Not long now until lunacy, We won't give a **** if you are hanging from a tree, You are a Judas **** with HIV."'

That just sums it up for me.

Not to be a pessimist, but the last thread that was made on this ended in someone getting banned for their homophobic views. Sadly, there are still homophobes in the world and possibly the most homophobic area of society today is professional sport. People should have the right to free speech, be who they want to be and be comfortable in doing so, but unfortunatley the backwards world we live in isn't ready for this, something which I'm sure that Justin Fashnu would agree with, were he still here.

they have to stop prejudice in football, its ruining the game

Last edited:
I think it's sad that TSF is absolutely spot on.

'Rewind to Fratton Park, September 2008, when Sol Campbell was subjected to homophobic abuse and a section of Spurs supporters were caught on film singing: "Sol, Sol, wherever you may be, Not long now until lunacy, We won't give a **** if you are hanging from a tree, You are a Judas **** with HIV."'

That just sums it up for me.

Is there any evidence that was actually sung because those fans that were charged have won the appeals and the charges dropped. The media failed to report this as they made such a big thing about it.

EDIT Just checked the song that was sung was the "You can stick Sol Campbell up your **** cause we have Ledley at the back"
People need to do research before quoting wrong facts just what they hear from the media.

Last edited:
This was discussed quite recently in another thread and it is truly sickening at some of the views that were put forward. There has been some progress since the days of Justin Fashanu, but we still have a long way to go before there is true equality, and prejudice will always remain. I'm afraid that this is the very sad world that we live in

This was discussed quite recently in another thread and it is truly sickening at some of the views that were put forward. There has been some progress since the days of Justin Fashanu, but we still have a long way to go before there is true equality, and prejudice will always remain. I'm afraid that this is the very sad world that we live in

Coudln't have put it any better mate

Is there any evidence that was actually sung because those fans that were charged have won the appeals and the charges dropped. The media failed to report this as they made such a big thing about it.

Probably not, I don't know.

I have to stress I'm not trying to make an example of Spurs fans, just that that song/incident/whatever just shows the kind of thing footballers/anyone is subjected to even three years ago.

Fans sing these songs as if they're simply chanting their side's name.

Probably not, I don't know.

I have to stress I'm not trying to make an example of Spurs fans, just that that song/incident/whatever just shows the kind of thing footballers/anyone is subjected to even three years ago.

Fans sing these songs as if they're simply chanting their side's name.

Next time you quote something then please quote actual facts and do your homework not what you have heard from the media.

Homophobic abuse is at the same level as racial abuse like when certain teams come to White Hart Lane and chant about gassing jews and hissing. Those fans of those clubs know who they are.

Next time you quote something then please quote actual facts and do your homework not what you have heard from the media.

Homophobic abuse is at the same level as racial abuse like when certain teams come to White Hart Lane and chant about gassing jews and hissing. Those fans of those clubs know who they are.

What the ****? Why attack me? All I did was quote the article, jesus.

This has ****** all to do with which fans chant what, and whether or not Spurs fans chanted what I quoted.

The songs about gassing Jews and every other racist chant across the leagues/countries/cities/wherever are disgraceful - of course they are, the writer (whoever he is) has decided to focus instead on homophobia & on a particular chant directed towards Sol Campbell (Which I'm sure some fans, somwhere, have chanted at him - a chant like that doesn't come from nowhere, whether it be from Spurs or Arsenal.)

What the ****? Why attack me? All I did was quote the article, jesus.

This has ****** all to do with which fans chant what, and whether or not Spurs fans chanted what I quoted.

The songs about gassing Jews and every other racist chant across the leagues/countries/cities/wherever are disgraceful - of course they are, the writer (whoever he is) has decided to focus instead on homophobia & on a particular chant directed towards Sol Campbell (Which I'm sure some fans, somwhere, have chanted at him - a chant like that doesn't come from nowhere, whether it be from Spurs or Arsenal.)

Because everytime I come on here you somehow have a direct or indirect swipe at Spurs fans that goes beyond the point of banter knowing you will get a reaction. It's like you cant help yourself. Then you wonder why you get attacked for it. End of discussion for me.

Because everytime I come on here you somehow have a direct or indirect swipe at Spurs fans that goes beyond the point of banter knowing you will get a reaction. It's like you cant help yourself. Then you wonder why you get attacked for it. End of discussion for me.

I assure you it has nothing to do with Spurs fans. I made a couple of comments on a Spurs thread, sure - Same as Spurs fans do on Arsenal threads, but I'm not trying to troll a thread on what I feel (without being Gay myself), is a serious issue in football, and in sport.

I'd quote it if it said Arsenal, Crawley or England - don't take everything so personally for crying out loud.

Jeeez, defensive much? You shouldn't generalise when it comes to supporters anyway, it's usually only a small minority that resort to derogatory chants such as those aforementioned. Don't take generalisations like that so personally

Mate calm down, it was the example that the author used, and Joss was quoting and commenting on it. It wasnt an attack at Tottenham fans, it was an example that was highlighted, that he used.

/thread
I think its a terrible shame that not just in football, but many people feel they cant come out openly, for fear family or friends reactions. I have 1 friend who is gay, but still hasn't told his Dad, because of the homophobia his dad shows in general conversation and such. His dad just things he hasnt had a girlfriend in years because he is focusing on his career for a bit...

I think some people are more prejudice against the homophobic than the homosexual these days. even though homophoia is still considered a medical condition.

I dont see why it matters what anyone else thinks anyway. be gay if you want to be gay its up to you isnt it.

I think some people are more prejudice against the homophobic than the homosexual these days. even though homophoia is still considered a medical condition.

I dont see why it matters what anyone else thinks anyway. be gay if you want to be gay its up to you isnt it.
you do realise that makes no sense whatsoever...

Back