The South African Football Thread

Dark Raven

Reaction score
As a new member of this site, I have had a poke around and seen some threads about foreign leagues, such as the portugese thread, and the liga bbva thread, so I thought I set-up a about South African football, my home country. I will try to update you on all the results every matchday, and even enter the world of the African Champions League. Hopefully many of you follow or will follow a South African team by the end of the stage.

The 16 Teams - with their websites
Ajax CT
AmaZulu
Bidvest Wits
Bloem Celtic
FS Stars
Golden Arrows
Kaizer Chiefs
Mamelodi Sundowns
Moroka Swallows
MP Black Aces
Orlando Pirates
Platinum Stars
Santos
SuperSportUnited
Vasco

So far there have been 3 rounds of games so far in the Premier Soccer League with the Mamelodi Sundowns and Ajax CT leading the way so far this season. The only side not to pick up any points so far, is newly promoted, MP Black Aces, who are stone dead last.

In the next update, i will hopefully be able to give you the results of the Champions League and Confederations Cups, which have been going on since february.

Here is a website to keep you involved with all the gossip of South African football - http://www.psl.co.za/premier.asp

I'd welcome any tips or advice on how to impove this thread, and the updates to come. Hope you enjoy the party season <3.

Dark Raven :)

Last edited:
Looks good, I'd quite like to follow some South African football.

A few tips I'd give you, you don't need to listen to them though:

1. I'm not sure if many of us on here know much about South African football, so I'd be interested in seeing a short profile of each team in the league.

2. I'd also like to see some key players profiles, as I don't know many/any players apart from the SA national team.

3. Your images haven't shown up of my PC, but that might be my fault. I'm not sure how you're trying to show them but it's not working for me.

I'd like to follow the African Champions' League too :) I'm going to South Africa next summer to do football coaching at Port Elizabeth. So if you could tell me a bit about the closest team to there, and maybe tell me somewhere I could buy their strip.

my home country too, i am not going to lie, i have NEVER watched a game of the PSL,
510613697e9143b2919336f1c3b415b6.jpg

I think its some of the worst football there is in the world to be perfectly honest :D we have such awesome infrastructure here after the WC but we will never utilize it to its fullest as our league is rubbish!
MTN8logo_resized.jpg

one of the main competitions, the MTN 8, the winner gets R8 million, equivalent to 700k

on a whole, yes they may be the occasional great goal or freekick but the standard of football is poor, the games are most of the time 1:0 or 0:0, rarely you will get games like United's fantastic win over Liverpool or the free flowing, fantastic Chelsea, its overrated garden soccer!

but thats just my opinion, i do however know the coach of Orlando Pirates personally, Mike Makaab, great coach and nice guy!

Another South African here:)

To be honest I kind of agree with Raikan about the South African standard of football. The amount of times I USED TOO change the channel because the match just bores me is quite shocking. This season It's been much better however with a couple of good matches and upsets happening.

Just gutted that Daine Klate decided to join Orlando Pirates because he is my favorite SA player and is definitely good enough for Europe. :'(

Also I have played 3 seasons as my favorite team, Ajax Cape Town winning the PSL Title twice. It was quite exciting so to all those that want to try playing as a South African team I highly recommend the experience.

Was wondering is there a player in Africa called Excellent Walaza, I'm sure I had him on an old management game and he was pretty good, I'd imagine he's on FM10 but I never really checked if he was decent?

Tshabalaba :wub:

Wigan Ath ( my team ) was rumoured to put a bid in for him, I've never heard of him until the World Cup but he played well throughout

Was wondering is there a player in Africa called Excellent Walaza, I'm sure I had him on an old management game and he was pretty good, I'd imagine he's on FM10 but I never really checked if he was decent?

Yeah he is South African, last I heard of him he was Bloemfontein Celtic. Don't know whether or not he moved during the off season.

Tshabalala is still playing here in SA, he was on the cards to join Burasaspor (or some other Turkish team) but they all wanted WAY too much money club and player to make it viable for those clubs to make the deal! greedy pigs, there loss not to play overseas!
Khumalo (CB) was linked with a big move to Tottenham (which fell through)

so NO one has left our shores for overseas this year (i am quite sure, may be wrong) Modiese, Khune etc all still here!