ZeCarlos

Reaction score
"It's time to get down to business," I announced, "I'm sure you've all been made aware of my appointment and I'm sure you're all equally aware of the position we're in. It's certainly not going to be easy to navigate an escape but I'm confident that we're capable of producing something special. What you lot have produced this season hasn't been close to good enough and I think we're all in agreement on that. I'm not here to point fingers at individuals or blame the old management. We're 26 games into the season with just 16 remaining. It's important we focus on what's ahead rather than what's in the past. With my arrival comes a chance for every single one of you. A clean slate. We have three days, including today, of full training before the next game. Myself and the staff are going to work you hard - harder than you've worked all season. If anybody falls by the wayside, they won't be in the squad on Saturday. You have three days to prove your worth to me. Don't believe for one second that I won't be brutal. You have half an hour to warm-up and prepare yourselves for the day - don't waste it."

I should probably explain.

It's Wednesday the 19th of February, 2014. Standing in front of me were the 30 members of Real Madrid Castilla - the last phase of development before an introduction at the Santiago Bernabeu. The team currently occupy 20th position in Liga Adelante; a position which heralds relegation. We have 16 games left to escape. If I were an optimist, I'd say we're just two points from safety. If I were a pessimist, I'd say we've lost more games than anybody else in the league. Make what you will - I'm here to do a job.

My name is Santiago Norwood. Don't let the name confuse you: I hold dual citizenship - part English, part Spanish. I've been hired on a (very) short-term contract until the end of the season. Beyond that? I don't know. I've moved here from northern Germany - I left my post as Under 19 manager at Hamburger SV to take charge. It's a strange move for me - with no assurances past June, my livelihood comes into question. But, is there any better way to enhance a CV than working at Real Madrid? No, I didn't think so either. Home games are played at the Alfredo di Stefano stadium which was opened in 2006 - it holds up to 6,000 people. Attendances this season, I've been told, have been poor and it was becoming a struggle to attract 2,000 supporters.

My objective here is simple: keep the club in the Liga Adelante. Before signing, I extensively researched the squad. We certainly have enough quality to avoid relegation. Kiko Femenia, formerly of Barcelona, can do a job out wide. Jose Rodriguez has the keys to unlock any defence. Omar Mascarell will provide legs as well as creativity in the centre of the park. He's also been capped four times by his homeland, Equatorial Guinea, at the age of 21. Aside from those three, everybody has to compete for their place in the team. I don't want players to start committing road kill and feeding off one another. A little bit of competition, however, isn't a bad thing.

We would set up with a 3-5-2 formation. Three defenders would keep us solid at the back with the aid of two attacking wing-backs. A holding midfielder, preferably Jose, would pick up the bits and pieces and look to build an attack. In front of him will sit two central midfielders; they're expected to contribute in both the defensive and attacking stages of the game. Spearheading our attacks will be two strikers who are expected to supply more than just goals.

I wasn't going to have time to chat in length with our chief scout, Ramon Martinez, just yet. I asked him to send over an e-mail including the basics of Real Zaragoza's game. I intended to personally do further scouting before the match on Saturday.

At lunch, following a solid morning of training, I opened up my e-mails. On-loan Manchester United striker Angelo Henriquez is their top scorer with 12 in 20 matches. Arguably their best player, David Cortes, is out injured which is a big positive. I've already identified their right side as a weakness. 'Keeper Leo Franco is statistically having a great season. In 23 games, he's kept 14 clean sheets and conceded just 14. Their wingers aren't particularly anything special and we should be able to limit them to scraps.

A difficult few days of preparation are ahead. Back to training.

Last edited:
Superb start mate, really looking forward to much more of this. :)

Superb start mate, really looking forward to much more of this. :)

Thanks mate, good to know you're supportive!

Just a quick note to everybody: any feedback is hugely appreciated (and encouraged!) I'm desperately trying to progress/improve so any comments, including constructive criticisms, are welcome.

The journey here was magnificent. The coach ride was little over three hours from Madrid to Zaragoza and the views of the sunrise were astounding. Kick off wasn't until 9:00 pm meaning we had most of the day to lightly train and run through some additional routines. I was impressed with the effort and willingness of all of the players. They knew places were up for grabs.

We arrived at the stadium an hour and a half before kick off.

After an intense warm-up, the players returned back to the dressing room. The squad was decided.

Starting eleven: Fernando Pacheco, Diego Llorente, Jorge Pulido, Derik, Kiko Femenia, Jose Rodriguez, Jorge Casado, Omar Mascarell, Cristian, Pablo Teixeira, Willian Jose.

Substitutes: Ruben Yanez, Javier Noblejas, Burgui, Fran Sol, Jaime, Quini, Borja.

"You've all been excellent," I said, "but let's not stop there. Let's get three points today. I acknowledge the last few days have been hard work but you've all done well and deserve this chance tonight. Everybody here is aware we have capable players who have missed out but they'll get their chance if somebody doesn't perform. We know Zaragoza will dominate possession and start well so we need to stick together, leave no spaces and make our chances count. Keep Henriquez marked at all times - you've all been made aware of what he can do."

Zaragoza dominated early proceedings and were excellent in possession. Their passing was quick and precise but they lacked the cutting edge we knew they were capable of. We made little use of the limited time we had on the ball.

We had our first opportunity after twenty-five minutes. Kiko smashed a clearance down the right wing which Willian latched onto. He knocked the ball through one defenders legs and was surprised to look up and see just the goalkeeper and a single defender stood between himself and the goal. He ran. And ran. And ran. Until, he was chopped down.

"Ref, that's a red," I shouted, "he's last man and was done for!"

He took a moment to make a decision. No card. NO CARD?! He was last man, for goodness sake. To compound our misery, Willian was stretchered off. I signalled for Borja to replace him.

We began getting a foothold in the game. Zaragoza lost concentration and suddenly looked beatable.

On the stroke of half time, Borja broke away. He beat one. He beat two. He was isolated at the by-line and knocked it off a defender for a corner. Jose whipped a corner in Derik rose highest at the front post and glanced home.

0-1

The half time whistle was blown before Zaragoza could even restart.

"We've scored at a really good time but so far this isn't enough. They haven't reached their best yet and it's probable they will at some point. We need to look after the ball much better and keep it tight at the back. Remember, you're expected to contribute to all aspects of the game. Fight for one another."

We started the second half much better. We were confident on the ball and played at a higher tempo. After our corner routine broke down, Zaragoza counter-attacked. Jose chased back and tripped Henriquez about 35 yards out. The subsequent free-kick was curled into a dangerous area with pace. Omar swung with his weaker left foot to clear. The Zaragoza crowd went wild as Omar sliced the ball into our goal to level the scoring. He immediately apologised to his team members and looked eager to move on.

1-1

We restarted with real purpose. Casado picked the ball up on the left and played a one-two with Borja. He continued his run down the left - beating an opposition midfielder - and played a chipped ball over the top which Borja took out of the air with real class. He dipped his shoulder, faked a shot and took the ball with him - leaving the 'keeper on the floor. With an empty net at his mercy, he tapped in.

1-2

A couple of minutes later, we had another injury. Borja challenged in the air and landed awkwardly. He was on the opposite side of the pitch and we still heard his initial scream. Burgui replaced the substitute.

After taking the lead for the second time, we were expectant of the inevitable onslaught from the leagues' best attack. We waited. We waited some more. They threw on another striker in place of a midfielder and still nothing. I looked at my assistant, Carlos Espinola, and he shared my confusion. We won possession easier than we had all game. We kept the ball well. We frustrated.

With the clock running down, we broke away. Omar attacked down the right - beating one, two and then three. He passed the ball inside to Cristian who, with his first touch, played Omar through on goal with an excellent pass. Omar looked up as time seemed to stand still. The 'keeper began to fall, and Omar lifted it over him with the ball nestling in the far corner.

1-3

I looked up at the stands as the Zaragoza fans streamed out in their thousands. The final whistle blew.

In the dressing room, the players were jubilant. Aside from being dominated on overall possession, we had done everything right. Well, except Omar's intervention...

On the coach back to the hotel we'd be staying in overnight, I checked the MARCA website. We were up to 15th in the table - although every team below us had a game in hand. If results go against us we could go back to 20th.

View attachment 406408

Great update mate, love the detail. Look forward to more. (H)

After training, there was a knock on my office door.

"Come in."

"Hey Santi," it was Carlos Espinola, my assistant, "myself and Lopez are headed out for a drink or two and food. Fancy it?"

Lopez is a coach.

"Ah, I've got some scouting to do tonight but you lads have a good time. Not too good a time, mind you."

We both chuckled.

"Come on, boss," he smiled, "you've been here almost a week and you haven't ventured further than the training ground or your hotel room window. It'll be a good night; me and Lopez could show you around a little. We might even treat you to a couple of dance moves, too."

We chuckled again.

"If you insist," I said, "I've been wanting to explore Madrid a little. Besides, I'm gasping for some good food."

We caught a taxi into the centre of Madrid. It's not too long a drive from Ciudad Real Madrid - our training facilities. Half an hour, at most. The journey was manic. The taxi drivers here at night are insane. City lights flashed by as other taxi's sped past. We eventually arrived at our destination and myself, Carlos and Lopez were hauled out of the car. Carlos led us to some Italian restaurant. I can't quite remember the name, but it was delicious. I ordered some turkey-type dish. After our meal, we walked for 10 or 15 minutes before we entered a nightclub. We didn't stay long - I was told we were only showing our faces because Lopez's friend owned the place. A taxi took us to another nightclub where we stayed for over an hour.

After a couple of drinks, I said goodbye to the pair and reminded them of their duties which resumed tomorrow morning. We shared a laugh. Overall, it was a good night. Carlos was 30 - four years my senior - whilst Lopez was 31. They were both light-hearted and humble guys; I felt like I had made progress in establishing a link beyond our workplace.

I opened up the Maps app on my phone and was soon informed I was just a 20 minute walk away from my hotel.

I was astonished at the night life here - and I don't just mean the nightclubs. Cafe's, restaurants and independent parlours remained open beyond times I was accustomed too. It was about 12:40 am when I decided to stop at a small cafe. I figured a flat white and small croissant could only help my body deal with the alcohol. After ordering, I took a seat on a table in the street and waited.

Five or so minutes later, a smiling dyed-red-haired girl brought out my order. She was beautiful.

"Anything else?" She asked.

"No, thanks." I smiled.

"If there's anything at all, we're open for nearly another hour."

She had a distinctly Australian accent. There was a mix of something else, but predominantly Australian.

"Thanks," I said, "Australian?"

She laughed.

"Yes," she smiled, "predominantly. A little German too - my father. And you?" She asked, "your accent is different."

"English father, Spanish mother," I replied, "shared most of my life between England and Germany. I only just moved here last week."

She sat across from me at the table.

"Interesting," she smiled again, "what're you doing out this late by yourself? You lost?"

"On the way back from a night with friends," I said, "Santiago, by the way." I held my hand to my chest.

"Lena," she paused, "making party friends after a week?" She chuckled.

"Friends, staff... same thing."

We chatted and I explained where I worked. She sounded impressed. She told me she attends University here - her father wanted her to experience different cultures. Work at the cafe is part-time and a small income to help her get by.

Time flew by and it was soon 1:30 am. Closing time.

I offered to pay for her taxi home but she assured me her apartment was just a five minute walk away. We strolled along several blocks before she came to a stop.

"This is me." She laughed.

"I see." I wanted to ask for her number. I really wanted to ask for her number.

"I'll uh," she paused, "I'll see you around."

We both smiled.

"Sure."

She started walking away and I just stood there. I just stood there. Ask her. ASK HER.

"Hey," I cleared my throat, "we could meet up some time? I could call you or something..."

She stopped, turned and smiled.

"Thanks for walking me home," she said, "I'll catch you sometime."

I'll catch you sometime. What did that mean?

i love your story's they are so in depth thats what stories i like

Great story mate, I love the fact it is so deep and detailed

Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2

The Real Madrid first team had been unimpressive all season in Europe and the squad was beginning to look despondent despite leading rivals Barcelona at the top of the Liga BBVA by two points. They finished third in a Champions League group compromised of Manchester City, Marseille and Bayer Leverkusen. City took top spot whilst Marseille edged ahead of Real on head-to-heads. Real subsequently dropped into the Europa League and were overwhelming favourites to win the competition - Juventus were undeniably the next best team. A day after I was appointed, Real had travelled to Rome and dominated against a poor Lazio side. Tonight was the second leg and Castilla's trio of staff (myself, Carlos and Lopez) were given tickets to attend. Real would be starting the night three goals to the good.

The beginning of the game was frantic as Lazio pressured all over the pitch. Los Blancos struggled to get a foothold in the game - their passing rhythms were all over the place. They'd up the tempo for a short period before falling back into a lull of nothingness. I'm aware some managers - namely Josep Guardiola - like to slow the game down and stretch opponents before finding space and striking within seconds. Real's problem was that they didn't find the space. They didn't even intend to. They may have three away goals in the bag but after the poor Champions League campaign, the Madridistas deserved so much more. I truly respected Carlo - but he had gotten tonight all wrong.

They fell lucky after twenty or so minutes. Bale swung a cross in and the opposition 'keeper, the experienced Marchetti, bundled into his own goal. Lucky, lucky Real.

At half time, I turned to Carlos and Lopez.

"What did she mean by I'll catch you sometime?" I asked bluntly.

The duo chuckled.

"Try not to over think it, boss." Carlos replied.

"Yeah Santi, I mean, she didn't flat out reject you." Lopez added.

"She didn't really need to."

"Don't be so negative, man," Lopez smiled, "maybe you should go see her? I mean, you know where she works. Don't become some psycho stalker - be respectful. If she tells you where to go, you only spoke to her for one night anyway. Carlos and I will find you another girl - one of different sorts."

We all shared a laugh.

Maybe Lopez was right - I'd only spoken to her one night. Showing my face wouldn't do any harm. But on the other hand, she could flat out reject me. I'm not sure.

In the second half, Lazio were flying. They equalised midway through when Lorik Cana played a fantastic reverse ball for the oldest player on the pitch - Mirsolav Klose. He rifled past the helpless Casillas. Cana ruined his otherwise fantastic night when he picked up a second yellow for a lunge at Modric. It was unarguable.

The final whistle was met by a chorus of boos from the Madridistas. The performance was shameful for a side of Real's stature and Carlo disappeared into the tunnel within seconds. He knew. Lazio deserved respect, though. They were dominated in the first leg at home and could've turned up tonight with no positive intentions. They pressured well, their passing was fantastic at times and I was hugely impressed by their work rate. Despite the huge financial restrictions placed upon them, they had performed admirably tonight at the Santiago Bernabeu.

The focus soon turned back to Castilla. We faced Tenerife on Sunday who had the same number of points as us and languished dangerously close to the relegation zone. It was my first game in charge at the Alfredo di Stefano and I was excited to see how many fans would attend after the excitement we had caused by taking three points from Zaragoza.

Great detail again buddy. Love that you cover loads of different angles to keep it all very interesting. :)

Always Love your story's :) yer updates are awesome ! Defo should write a book !

Thank you so much! :D

I'm currently writing the next update - should be posted soon!
great cause a need my fix ��������

I named a virtually unchanged side from the trip to Zaragoza. Despite the knocks Willian and Borja took, they were passed fit to play this morning. They would be starting together as the front two. Last time out, Willian started up top with Pablo. Pablo hadn't done enough in the Zaragoza game or in training during the week so he was out. Willian was now the most advanced striker - he would spearhead our attacks. Borja was almost playing as a second striker - he was primarily there to assist his partner although he wouldn't be punished for scoring one for himself. He was small, just 5'8", and fairly pacey.

Tenerife were level with us on 31 points. They were ahead of us in the league on goal difference - conceding almost 10 less. Aridane, their target man, was also their top scorer on 11. Aside from the 26-year-old Spaniard, they had no real threats. The game plan was simple: isolate Aridane and camp inside their half.

Starting eleven: Fernando Pacheco, Diego Llorente, Jorge Pulido, Derik, Kiko Femenia, Jose Rodriguez, Jorge Casado, Omar Mascarell, Cristian, Willian Jose, Borja.

Substitutes: Ruben Yanez, Javier Noblejas, Lucas, Fran Sol, Jaime, Quini, Pablo Teixeira.

Our opponents hit the ground running whilst we were sluggish. Tenerife kicked off and before we had even touched the ball, we were nearly one down. Some quick passing in the centre of the park allowed one of their midfielders, Perez, to ping the ball into Aridane's feet. He flicked the ball out to the wing and Suso had the run on the poorly positioned Casado. Fortunately for us, Suso couldn't sort out his feet quick enough and his weak shot was pushed to one side by Fernando.

"Come on lads!" I shouted, "Get into gear! Don't let them set the tempo and for goodness sake switch on!"

The resulting corner was wasted and it gave the team a moment to organise. Borja, the captain, barked instructions to his team-mates and encouraged them to start how they intended to go on.

After a few minutes, both teams had settled into a rhythm. Due to the league position of both sides, it had been predicted the quality would be poor and it would take a mistake to decide a winner. Both sets of players, however, were eager to impress. The passing on show was excellent. The tackling was well-timed. It was an end-to-end game and, for a neutral, no doubt entertaining. It was a different story for myself and Alvaro Cervera, Tenerife's manager, however. It was heart-in-mouth type of action.

Midway through the first half, Kiko attacked down the right. He played a neat one-two and was sent down the wing by Jose. His cross was inviting and Willian, at the front post, must have been millimetres away from making contact. It didn't matter. Borja was round the back and was surely about to double his tally under my management. That was, however, until their central defender clumsily rammed through the back of Borja. The ref pointed to the spot.

Jose stepped up and thundered the ball straight down the middle. Diego Rivas, their 'keeper, dived to his left.

1-0

The remaining minutes of the first half descended into a keep-ball session. Tenerife unsurprisingly lacked confidence.

At half time, Casado complained of a slight pain after Suso had clattered his left ankle in a challenge. Jaime, a more attacking player, prepared to take Casado's place on the left side.

"This is good so far - it's been a tough game and both teams are going at it. We've got the advantage up to now but we've got to keep it going. Inevitably there will be one or two periods in the second half where Tenerife throw everything at us but I'm confident we can remain strong and hit them again. Jaime will come on and add another body in the attacking third - and Cristian, you've got to be more aware of your surroundings. You've been caught on the ball far too often."

We started the second half far better than we started the first. A couple of minutes after the restart, Kiko had temporarily swapped sides with Jaime and found space down the left. He cut in, beat one, beat two and swung a fantastic cross in with his weaker food. Borja flicked it on with the outside of his boot and it crashed against the base of the post. The supporters signalled their appreciation as Borja encouraged Kiko to keep up the service.

A Tenerife corner was delivered poorly by Suso. Derik rose highest and nodded it away - suddenly we were on the break. Diego, our centre half, beat a retreating Tenerife defender to the ball and steam rolled up the pitch. Diego, Willian and Borja were all bearing down on goal with just one defender covering. Diego shaped up to shoot and dragged across the defender. Another Tenerife player sprinted back and chased Diego. Both Willian and Borja were left in acres of space and Diego found the former with a pass weighted to perfection. Willian took one touch before slotting past the out-of-position 'keeper from outside of the box.

2-0

We dominated the remainder of the second half. The only let down in an otherwise fantastic display was Cristian. He had been poor. Very poor. He was withdrawn shortly after the second goal and replaced by Fran. Borja dropped back into midfield whilst Fran slotted in up front.

Tenerife were resigned to defeat as we controlled the game well. The final whistle sounded as the 1,841 confirmed Castilla fans rose to applaud their troops.

We had the last game of the weekend in the Liga Adelante. I checked the table and we were up to 13th.

View attachment 405737