The Spear (work in progress...testers needed)

mcbgun

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm taking the plunge! First couple of tactics I'm releasing. I'm still exploring the possibilities with this and I know the community can help make this better!

Check the screenshots below to get an idea of what this tactic is all about!
View attachment 315611
View attachment 315610
View attachment 315609
View attachment 315608
View attachment 315606
View attachment 315603

What we're aiming for here is a tactic that relies on attacking possession and winning the ball back as quickly as possible. It's great to watch and given the right players I think could work for a lot of teams. I went through a purple patch during the season where I kept 18 clean sheets in 19 games....I've never done that before.

I should have won the premier league and Europa League were it not for a few poor losses towards the end of the season. From late February till end of season I did tend to concede a lot more goals. This will be something I will need to either rectify through Training or make adjustments in the tactic. It will be interesting to get feedback on what people think.

Training
=====

The demands of playing in England mean I tend to adopt a cautious approach when training my players. I don't like to overload them and tire them out. I didn't get any jadeness whatsoever this season.

I do the maximum number of pre-season weeks which is seven and do the below for the first 3 weeks without playing any friendlies. I have both allow rest boxes unticked:

View attachment 315601

Once the 3 weeks are up I arrange friendlies every 3 days to get the tactical familiarity as maxed as possible and match fitness for everyone sorted. I change general training to balanced whilst keep intensity at very high. I also tick rest after match:

View attachment 315597

Once you have at least fluid for the match tactics then change the match preparation to Teamwork for the remaining friendlies if you have any. If not then keep the main focus on Match Tactics.

A week before the first game of the season I set my training to the following:

View attachment 315593

In terms of individual training I kept anyone with a natural fitness stat of below 15 to an average intensity. If I have any who are susceptible to injuries (check your coach reports!) I put it down to light to try and minimize the risk. Luke Shaw is a good example where you would ignore his natural fitness stat of 17 and put him on light as he is susceptible to injuries.

I appreciate this will take a little time to go through but to be honest it's worth it in the long run. I managed to field the same team for most of the season without people getting tired. Phil Jones played 51 games and he is susceptible to injuries so it gives you an idea of what forward planning can do for your season!

Player types
========

As per the screenshot. I have dabbled with using a BWM on support duty and also a Central Midfielder on defend duty instead of BWM on defend....I didn't find it was as stable.

As you can see I managed to get Di Maria into the team by retraining to a CM. He plays superbly here given time. Falcao is a beast in the AF role...35 goals is no mean feat! James Wilson gives you another option if you change the role to poacher.

I would think if you changed the two CM A roles it would mess up the tactic as this formation relies on Di Maria and Herrera bombing forward to support Mata who feeds the striker. However, please please feel free to experiment and pull everything apart and let me know if you get something that works over the course of a season.

PLEASE NOTE
========

You will need pacy defenders to counter through balls as this tactic relies on a defensive line that is set to the highest possible defensive line in order to connect the defence to the midfield....again feel free to experiment with everything and let me know if you experience any success!

Last edited: