The Story of a Scouser: An Ethical Journeyman

FMPivot

Reaction score
***DISCLAIMER: I’m not actually Scouse, but for the purposes of this story, I am***

Hello everyone. I play Football Manager, just like anyone reading this thread. I’m fascinated by peoples’ stories of their saves so I thought I’d have a go at my own. For me, journeyman saves are the most enjoyable, but also the hardest; mainly because I get too attached to whoever I’m managing and I never want to leave. This season, I need that to change. I am going to be the most successful journeyman that has roamed the earth, all will kneel before me.

I’m a Liverpool fan, that’s the goal and that’s where the story will end, once I have won the Champions League with my beloved Liverpool. Also, I’m going to only manage in the UK & Ireland. I’ll have the main European leagues loaded on a view-only basis so I can see what’s going on – but I’ll only be managing on these shores, Brexit and all that. (I voted remain). All of my Football Manager saves have a character, I’m never myself, so I have to create by Scouse hero. I have literally zero imagination and I was struggling to think of a name, so I went simple, I named by manager after two of the people who turned Liverpool into the club it is today. Meet Bill Paisley, the lovechild of Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley.

View attachment 107362

Bill’s not qualified, his last stint of assistant supervisor at the local Subway chain hadn’t gone well, so a career in management beckoned after earlier being released from Tranmere’s youth system. I believe in a way of playing, fast, direct (not long) football with an emphasis on winning the ball as quickly as possible, but also being solid and compact defensively. The aim is to get from back to front as quickly as possible, very much like the plan your stomach has when it wants to be sick. Whilst the system may change (I prefer a 4-3-3 but 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2, 4-5-1 and 3-4-3 are formations I can also cobble together), the philosophy will never change. I’m a mix of Louis van Gaal and Jurgen Klopp.

There will be self-imposed rules as well, to keep things interesting. I can’t spend money on players over the age of 24, free transfers can be any age. In terms of moving on from my club, applying for jobs (apart from Liverpool) is banned, I’m going to be an ethical journeyman – but I must attend all interviews and accept any job that offers more than double my current wage. Confused? So am I. All UK & Ireland leagues will be loaded, I’m not using any custom databases which means I’ll probably end up in some field in Northern Ireland.

Right, I need to get a job. When you hear from me next I’ll hopefully have a job, if this thread remains blank, then it’s 2021, I’m still unemployed and the computer’s crashed…

August has quickly rolled around and I’m happy to announce that a few signings have been made. I’ve actually spent most of the summer frantically offering new contracts to players as other clubs keep swooping in as they’re all on non-contract terms. No players actually left whilst I’ve only managed to sign five.

View attachment 107325

David Cully comes in at right back whilst I also signed Declan McVeigh as his cover, he can also play in midfield which is a tidy bonus. Both are pretty terrible, but so is football in Northern Ireland so they go hand in hand. Jack McCrea joins as goalkeeping backup, and some company for Tuda Murphy who was his own goalkeeping coach. Matt Lowe joined as cover in the centre of midfield, whilst Gavin McParland is a backup striking option, with the potential of making it into the first team if he impresses off the bench.
If I’m honest. I’m not particularly happy with the window, I could have strengthened the squad more, but with no scouts and attribute masking enabled, it was almost impossible to gauge the ability of potential signings.

Belfast Telegraph Championship

View attachment 107324

Ballyclare Comrades 0-4 Loughgall

A really, really good start to the season which was basically my philosophy in action. A dull first half finished 0-0 before we came to life. A penalty from debutant David Cully opened the floodgates as Ross Black added two more from left back, one a stunning free kick. Striker Francis McCann added extra gloss onto a result that I was incredibly happy with.

Loughgall 1-0 Larne

After being happy with the fluidity and competency of our play in the last game, here things looked disjointed and nervy. Another boring first half with few chances was followed by a slightly more open second, where Larne deserved at least a point. Tom Carlin finished off a brisk counter attack to seal the three points in incredibly unconvincing fashion.

Warrenpoint Town 0-1 Loughgall

Back to excellency as we played the bookies’ favourites for the league title off the park. This time there was actually a goal in the first half after some neat possession play. Warrenpoint offered little as we saw the game out comfortably.

Loughgall 1-1 PSNI

Police Service of Northern Ireland came to Loughall unbeaten in their opening two games and took the lead midway through the first half after some poor defending. Luckily, a cataclysmic goalkeeping error allowed us to equalise ten minutes later and it was a deserved point. Neither side deserved to win the game and I can’t complain.

View attachment 107322

2nd​ in the league and unbeaten. I can’t complain but the goals haven’t been flowing. Defensively we've been excellent and I'm looking for that to continue. I'm genuinely surprised by the lack of chances the opposition get against us, especially with the individual quality of our defence. The team hasn't even reached 50% in terms of tactical fluidity, so fingers crossed that things can only get better from here.

NIFL Cup

View attachment 107321

Two comfortable wins see us into the 3rd​ round, we never really had to break sweat, and it’s a competition I want to do well in.

All in all a really solid month. Player performances have been good; Ross Black has been especially strong at left back, chipping in with plenty of goals and assists. I'd like to keep the unbeaten run going, mainly because I'm incredibly self-obsessed and arrogant, and it makes me look incredible. But in all seriousness, I want to do as well as possible and at least meet the objectives set by the board. We have four league games in September and it's up to me to make sure we do as well as possible.

Last edited:
September 2016
Football is a beautiful game, it’s THE beautiful game. Unless you are in Northern Ireland, then it’s basically lots of Tony Pulis’ plying their trade, screaming at the world for some attention. Not me. I preach nice football, aggressive in the right way football. It hasn’t clicked yet, but it’s certainly clicking. Forza Loughgall.

Belfast Telegraph Championship

View attachment 107279

Knockbreda 1-2 Loughgall

By no means a convincing victory, but comfortable nonetheless. Again we needed an own goal to set us on our way, before toiling through another 45 minutes of football before finding the comfort of a second; Gavin McParland slotting in a ball over the top. They scored from a corner with 10 left to keep things interesting, but didn’t threaten after that.

Loughgall 2-0 Armagh City

By far and away the best performance of my reign. We completely suffocated Armagh. A 5 minute brace from Francis McCann left the opposition stunned as they struggled to get the ball. From then on it was a procession, with only one team creating any chances.

Institute 2-1 Loughgall

Sadly our unbeaten run came to an end. It looked like things were going to play when Jack Upritchard gave us the lead just before half time. But in the second half we were slow, we conceded after just five minutes before letting in a 91st​ minute winner. It was disappointing, but I always expected the unbeaten run to end sooner rather than later.

Lurgan Celtic 2-0 Loughgall

The wheels are coming off. We didn’t get near them, we looked tired, and they scored two well worked goals thanks to my defence getting the sun loungers out. Scrap that, there is no sun in Northern Ireland.

View attachment 107280

I thought after the first two victories we’d be marching on up the table. It doesn’t make for bad reading considering the expectations at the start of the season but the two consecutive defeats hurt. I know we can bounce back, it just has to be as quickly as possible.