The touchline ban?

• Thread starter Thread starter CJACKO11
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 4K

Does the touchline ban need to change in England?

• Yes (please specify)

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • No (please state why)

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CJACKO11

Reaction score
Currently Sir Alex Ferguson is serving a 5 match touchline ban for multiple jibes at officials which i know many believe the ban was deserved but this isent the argument.

The touchline ban in general has more holes than a Swiss cheese and it needs to be changed as the whole world yet again is laughing at the English FA. Ferguson was sitting in the stand at Old Trafford on Saturday as he watched his side beat Bolton 1-0 and take a closer step to retaining the Premier League titles. But he spent nearly the whole 90 minutes on a phone (a very aincent phone i may add) talking to coach Rene Meulensteen who passed on the managers opinions and changes to assistant Mike Phelen, who then passed them onto the players.

What does this ban actually achieve? The only difference i could tell is that Ferguson wasent able to shout at the officials. If anything Fergie got a better view of the game sitting so far up in the stands. Just to get this straight and stop Manchester United supporters abusing me im not slating Sir Alex for this at all because what he is doing isent wrong and who blames him? I know i dont blame the man but this needs to change.

In european competitions if the manager gets a touchline ban he is banned from the stadium and i believe its something the FA should take on board. Currently Fergie trains with the squad all week, travels to games with the squad, gives team talks and changes everything during the game? So what is the difference, seriously??

My question to you all is does this rule need to change and if so how would you change this

Last edited:
Football needs to learn from Rugby in this area. In Rugby managers are banned from the ground for the game which could have serious effects on the team whereas in Football managers can keep in constant contact with the team.

I agree with the OP.

Doesn't really seem to have much of an effect at the moment to be honest. Although Fergie could easily have sat at home and phoned Rene Meulensteen to make changes.

As far as I know there's no rules against that?

You raise a good point.

The rule needs to be changed. As Pauley said, banning from the ground would be a very good idea, as would just banning them from using all forms of communication.

You raise a good point.

The rule needs to be changed. As Pauley said, banning from the ground would be a very good idea, as would just banning them from using all forms of communication.

Agree with this.

Definitely needs to change. At the moment it's pretty pointless - he's allowed in the dressing room and can contact his assistants on the bench.

yes it needs to be changed

ban them from entering the city on match day

You raise a good point.

That's also a good point. No need to ban them from the ground, just ban them from communicating with staff or players. Should have the desired effect.

In the A-League over here, if a manager gets a touchline ban he has his phone taken off him an hour before the game and I'm 99% sure someone is either with him or watching him all game so he cannot make any signals to the assistant or anything.

I think we should just exile them to Afghanistan for a couple of weeks. Without access to the TV either so they can't watch it.

To be fair, im more concerned with what touchline bans are actually given out for.

Fergie shouldnt even be banned, and im not saying this out of bitterness from being a utd fan, but he got banned for telling the truth. Atkinson was a joke and lost us the game, pure and simple and right there for all to see, but to dare actually say about it is to get banned.

FIFA and the FA need a major overhaul.

To be fair, im more concerned with what touchline bans are actually given out for.

Fergie shouldnt even be banned, and im not saying this out of bitterness from being a utd fan, but he got banned for telling the truth. Atkinson was a joke and lost us the game, pure and simple and right there for all to see, but to dare actually say about it is to get banned.

FIFA and the FA need a major overhaul.

It wasent the fact he said Atkinson was a joke it was the fact Ferguson insinuated Atkinson threw the game in Chelsea's favour.

I just think that no phones should be allowed in the Dugouts as this would stop this nonsence. Its not much of a punishment anymore.If a manager gets a touchline ban,let him in a directors box but dont let him communicate with his staff. Might not be so quick to get banned again if there team lose 2 or 3 games for his behaviour.

It's not really a punishment which is the problem. When you have managers like Sam Allardyce (sp) who sit in the stands anyway and has a monitor + phone, you have to question the point of the ban when Fergie can do the same despite supposedly being "banned"

The touchline ban was introduced so that managers couldn't abuse the officials during the game. Think I may be correct in thinking SAF was the first manager to receive a ban for what he said after the game.

If the FA are going to ban managers for what they say after the game I guess it is fair to say the rules need to be changed.

Just send him to the moon until his ban is over. This way the manager would not be able to train with his players, go the the games, communicate with the players, watch the game and make tactical changes and will most certainly lose a few games. That would certainly make the managers think twice before questioning the referees, right?

Banning him was a mistake in the first place. That rule needs to be changed.

He was talking whole 90 mins on phone. Just for tactical reason he called the coach which is a big loophole in the FA rule.

This is not the first time that FA has failed to implement something, Banning Managers for saying what they feel instead of reviewing ref's decision.

I'm fine with the rule as FA likes to ban Fergie more often so it would be helpful for the club i support.

Ban from City and Stadium? Isn't that against human rights. FA can do something that is related to the manager's involvement in the game, not his personal life.

Back