LUFCSpeni

Reaction score
enfield_town_fc.gif

How did an unknown manager get such a good job?
7th July 2009
This was the question I woke up and asked myself. How exactly did i get this job? Enfield Town are a small club, based in London, playing in the 8th Tier of English football. I am 29 years of age, and played for Boston United, just some 2 years ago. I suffered a fateful injury, and know walk with a limp. I have always wanted to be a football manager, going back to when I was younger, playing the Championship Manager series, eventually getting into Football Manager near the end of my playing days. I saw this job advertised, thought, why not? And applied. I didnt expect a reply, so you can imagine the shock I got when I got a text from the assistant at Enfield, Craig Swaine, to come down to the ground immediatley. I did so, and walked out about 1 hour later, the proud manager of Enfield Town FC.

Arriving at Enfield
7th July 2009
I checked my emails as soon as I woke up. I had one from the Enfield Town chairman, Michael Hughes. It stated his aims for the club, and a quick overview:
- Finish in the top half of the league
- Reach the 3rd Qualifying Round of the FA Trophy
- Reach the 4th Qualifying Round of the FA Cup

Founded: 2001
Rep: Obscure
Chairman Status: Loves the club
Fierce Rivals: Enfield
Other Rivals: Boreham Wood, Barnet
Finances: Okay
Average Ticket Price: £7
Average Season Ticket Price: £120
Estimated Value: 60K
Estimated Finish: 8th

When I arrived, I looked around the ground, and wasnt over-impressed. With a small capacity of 1000, we had one of the smallest ground in the league. I quickly went to my office, and sat down, and got to work with Craig Swaine. We decided that simplicity was key, and stuck with the tried and tested 4-4-2. We looked at the squad, and picked out the weak links, and how to improve. We decided that the weakest parts we up front. I ran a shortlist of positions I wanted to improve, and he agreed. The media predicted us at 8th spot, but I want promotion, so I need the players to do this. I told Craig we need a backup keeper, 2 midfielders and a striker. He asked me who, then I realised I didnt know exactly who I wanted. I had another coffee with him, and by the time we had finished, we had sent scouts out to look at 7 players, and some around Premiership clubs, looking at possible loans to get us out of this division.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 05:29 AM ----------

Pre Season and Tranfers - Summer 09
8th August 2009
Here I am, just one more sleep to go before I have my first ever League match in charge of Enfield Town. I really jope this season will be a successful one for me, and the club alike. Enfield is a small place, but it is going places, big places. Of course, I want to go up the leagues, something to put on my CV, for when I want to move on. To do this, I need to bring in some fresh faces to the club. Unfotunately, we have no money to bring players in, and I dont want to promise money we havent got to other clubs. So we didnt pay money for a single player. But we did, however, bring in 6 new faces to the club. One on a free, 5 on loan for the whole season.

First, we brought in Scott Andrews, for free. He was unattachted and we desperately needed a keeper, so I sent Craig to have a look at this guy, and we agreed that he would do for now. We are only paying £90 per week for his services, which is a real bonus, as we would rather save money for when we get into higher leagues, and on players who would stay with us for a few years, not just ones who would be here for a season, then not be good enough.

Second, we brought in Graeme Montgomery, on loan from Dagenham and Redbride. He is a talented Left Winger, and will slot right into our starting lineup, hopefully getting lots of assists, as well as chipping in with a few goals for himself.

Third, we got Esmond James, from Hayes and Yeading. He is not the greatest player, but we needed a right midfielder, and he is the best we could get on short notice. We would love to get another right midfielder in, but we cant, atleast until January.

Fourth, we got our biggest coup, Daniel Fitchett, from Wycombe Wanderers. He is by far the best player at the club, and hopefully will fire the goals to get us out of this league. He is top quality, and I hope he proves it.

Fifth, we have Charlie Read, from Ebbsfleet. Again, not the most gifted of players, but will have to do in the centre of defence. hopefully he will play above himself, and become a rock in our defence.

Last, we have Andy Pugh from Gillingham. Not as good as Fitchett, but hopefully can build a successful partnership with him, and fire us up.

Overall, a dissapointing set of transfers, with only Daniel Fitchett standing out. Not too confident with this lot, but I hope they prove me wrong.

Our pre season friendlies were as follows:
Lost 2-0 vs Kidderminster
Won 1-0 vs Gainsborough
Lost 1-0 vs Grathm
Lost 4-1 vs Yate
Drew 2-2 vs Folkestone
Lost 1-0 vs Bromsgrove
Won 2-0 vs GH Academy
Won 1-0 vs Harrow.

Again, not a great startm winning only 3 of our 8 friendlies. I am confident we will be better than this in the league, and can only hope that the players are fired up for this season. Up the Towners!

Nice start mate, I love LLM so keep it up and good luck!

Some good loan signings. Good luck for the start of the season.

enfield_town_fc.gif

August/September 09 Update
These two months I hope to be in the top 5 or 6 teams in the league, in a playoff spot. This will give us a solid foundation to build upon this season.

Won 1-0 vs VCD Athletic (Okikiolu)
Very happy with this result. We deserved the win, and it was a great start to the season, and my career. The Centre Back getting the decisive goal for us.
Drew 1-1 vs Concord Rangers (Pugh)
A pretty average game for us. The main thing is that we didnt lose, which is a plus point. Rangers are a strong team in this division, and I expect them to make ripples. Loanee Pugh got the goal to draw us level.

Won 2-0 vs Leiston in the FA Trophy (Fitchett, Pugh)
Pugh got another goal for us in this routine victory. Fitchett got his first goal for the club, putting us through.

Drew 0-0 vs Romford
A poor display against a poor Romford side. At least we got another point.

Won 2-0 vs Heybridge (Pugh, James)
A great result against a strong team. Pugh carries on his great scoring record, with Jamie boy getting in on the act. Another point in the league, a promising start.

Won 3-0 vs Harlow in the FA Cup (James, Fitchett, Pugh)
A decent result. Expected nothing less, and the boys delivered.

Won 2-0 vs Waltham Forest (Crace, OG)
The run carries on, with Ricci Crace getting his first of the season. A great three points here, and hopefully lots more to come.

Won 4-1 vs Brentwood (Crace, Pugh, James, Montgomery)
A fantastic result, getting 4 goals against a decent team. If we are to get promoted, we should be doing this to all teams in this position.

Overall, a brilliant start to the season. We finished 2nd in the league, scoring 18, conceding 2. Hopefully we can carry on like this throughout the season, if we do, there is no doubt we will go up.