FM_TNSSO

Reaction score
1646255657275.png

The Tractor Boys

So, here we are...Ipswich Town football club. A club with some history, albeit not an elaborate one. Yes, they have a Premier League title to their name (or at least the old First Division), but this was way back in 1962. Runners up a couple of times in the early 1980's was the closest they ever came to lifting the coveted trophy again. They also have a single FA Cup to their name, but again this was over 40 years ago (1981). In that same year, Ipswich also managed success in Europe and they can proudly claim that they have a UEFA Cup in the cabinet! Since then though, the only other silverware the club has lifted is the Championship title in 1991/92, so the Blues fans haven't exactly had a lot to cheer about over recent years.

111. honours.jpg

In all fairness, it's fair to say The Tractor Boys have had a minor fall from grace over the last 20 years, dropping out of the Premier League in 2001/02 before spending an incredible 19 seasons in the Championship. After a couple of playoff appearances, the Suffolk based club quickly became the division's safest bet for a mid table finish. That was until disaster struck in the 2018/19 season, when Ipswich finished bottom of the Championship and were relegated to League One - this saw them drop out of the top 2 divisions for the first time in 63 years and an all new low was hit. To make it worse, it was Paul Lambert, an ex Norwich manager that led them there....for any of you that aren't aware, Norwich and Ipswich are fierce rivals and compete in the East Anglian Derby!

111. league history.jpg

I'm sure most Ipswich fans will admit they expected to breeze through League One and find themselves reinstated to the Championship with relative ease. However, it hasn't quite worked out that way and an 11th and 9th placed finish has been seen as a major underachievement and better is most certainly expected! That's where I am entering and look to restore the club back to their former glory. First stop is to get us back to the Championship and then back amongst the Premier League elite. From there, the aim will be to bring European football back to Portman Road and we'll look to add a few more trophies to a cabinet that still has plenty of room in it!

Talking of fans, Ipswich Town has a rather famous one in the form of a certain Ed Sheeran and the singer songwriter is now an official shirt sponsor for his beloved team, with the kit proudly advertising Ed's world tour.

1646257023890.png

Ed has even been named in the Ipswich squad for the 2021/22 season and has been handed the number 17 shirt (although he doesn't feature on FM).

1646257106917.png

Anyway, thinking out loud, let's give these fans something to sing about and make them happier. I see fire burning amongst these players, so I'm going to dive right in, and although there might be a small bump or two along the way, I'm confident we can turn Ipswich back into The A Team.....

.....who saw what I did there ;-)

Looking forward to this. Ipswich are my home town club and I've had a season ticket for 14 years now. Best of luck, bring back some glory!

Pre Season 2021/22

The first thing we'll take a look at is the squad I have available to me... It's big, which is good as we'll have a lot of games to play this season with a minimum of 50 on the agenda depending on how far we go in cup competitions. Rotation will be a necessity! We have 2 strong keepers at the club who will likely keep each other on their toes, with a defence in front of them who are decent enough, although our best centre back, George Edmundson is injured for the first 2 months of the season! Lots of options in the full back positions and central midfield and these positions will be hard to find a first choice 11 as I have a number of good options in these areas...don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining...it's a nice problem to have! Our attacking midfield is possibly our weakest area of the pitch, even though we aren't short of players in these roles either and the standard still isn't terrible. Options up front aren't limited either and we should have no issues scoring goals this season. This squad is, without a doubt, good enough to be challenging for a playoff spot as an absolute minimum!

1. squad.jpg

One of the most talented players in the squad is not one of our own though. Bersant Celina is actually here on loan from Sporting Dijon in France and for League One football, he really stands out as an amazing talent! I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do for us this year and could be key to any success we have!

1. celina.jpg

I can't pinpoint an on loan player as one of our best, without mentioning one of our own as well. George Edmundson is the rock at the back, my best option in central defence and is a great signing from a Derby County side who are bang in trouble! Unfortunately, he is injured for 2 months, but he'll be key when he returns to action!

1. edmundson.jpg

I'll be looking to put my own stamp on this squad as well, and I will have a £300k budget to do it with. The bank balance is OK with £2.5 million in the account, although we'll need to get moving up the leagues again rather quickly or this could easily dwindle.

1. finances.jpg

Although we'll be OK if the fans continue to flock to see us. Portman Road is an impressive stadium for this level and with a capacity of just over 30,000, the infrastructure is already there for Premier League football if and when we get there.

1. portman road.jpg

Before I could start looking at adding to the playing staff, I wanted to sort out my back room team first. Most of the coaching staff were let go as I look to rebuild the club from the ground up!

1. coaching staff.jpg

As part of the shake up, Andy Crosby comes in as my new right hand man. His experience with the likes of Sheffield United, Reading, Southampton and Hull will be extremely valuable to me as a new manager.

1. crosby.jpg

The likes of Sol Campbell has also joined the coaching team!

1. campbell.jpg

With Premier League dreams still some way off, the vision of the board is to reach the playoffs this season and if we fail to go up, then automatic promotion next season will be a minimum expectation!

1. vision.jpg

Which is in line with the bookie's predictions who expect us to be there or thereabouts in the playoff race. No surprise to see the league's two biggest clubs as the two joint favourites to go up!

1. preview.jpg

Our friendlies starting off with a bit of a wobble, but we got stronger throughout pre-season.

1. friendlie.jpg

And after a bit of tinkering throughout pre-season, this is the tactic I have set on ready for the start of the season.

1. tactic.jpg

August 2021

Before the league campaign gets underway, there was the draw for the Papa John's Trophy. We'll take on my beloved Gillingham in the group stages and I'm sure the Hammers youngsters will prove a to be a tough opponent too.

2. papa johns draw.jpg

Transfer In - Aaron Pierre (CB)

Signed from Shrewsbury Town for £95,000

2. pierre.jpg

Pierre becomes my first ever signing for the club and will provided much needed cover at centre back. With George Edmundson out for at least another month, my options were limited at the back and Pierre is a good addition for a cheap fee.

Transfer In - Connor Mahoney
Signed from Millwall for £90,000

2. mahoney.jpg

Worth the fee alone just for his corners and free kick taking ability, he'll create plenty of chances for sure and is likely to bag a fair few assists from set pieces for us. An excellent crosser of the ball, Mahoney can have a real impact down either wing!

Saturday 7th August 2021 - 15:00
EFL League One - Morecambe (Away)

Lineup: V.Hladky, K.Vincent-Young, L.Woolfenden, C.Burgess, D.Thompson, S.Morsy, L.Evans, T.Bakinson, C.Chaplin, K.Edwards (C.Mahoney 65), J.Pigott (M.Bonne 45)

2. morecambe.jpg

We kick off the season in the worst possible way, losing to one of the weakest teams in the division! Not good!

Wednesday 11th August 2021 - 20:00
Carabao Cup First Round - Forest Green (Away)

Lineup: V.Hladky, K.Vincent-Young, L.Woolfenden, A.Pierre, D.Thompson, S.Morsy, T.Bakinson, L.Evans (T.Carroll 66), C.Chaplin (C.Mahoney 66), K.Edwards, M.Bonne (S.Aluko 73)

2. forest green.jpg

Our first cup game also ends in defeat against lower league opposition and the fans must already be doubting my appointment!

Saturday 14th August 2021 - 15:00
EFL League One - Sunderland (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young, C.Burgess, A.Pierre, M.Penney, S.Morsy, T.Carroll, L.Evans, S.Aluko, C.Mahoney, M.Bonne

2. sunder.jpg

We were very much in this game at half time, but a poor 2nd half from us saw Sunderland take control of the match and another disappointing result. I genuinely never would have envisaged that I'd lose my first 3 games in charge at the club and something needs to change!

After such a terrible start to the season, it was time for an early change in tactic. We seem to be leaking goals left, right and centre, so I decided to tweak things and go with two defensive midfield players to try to provide some extra cover.

2. tactic.jpg

Saturday 21st August 2021 - 15:00
EFL League One - Sheffield Wednesday (Away)

Lineup: V.Hladky, K.Vincent-Young, L.Woolfenden, A.Pierre, D.Thompson*, S.Morsy (L.Evans 85), T.Carroll, C.Chaplin, S.Aluko, C.Mahoney (K.Edwards 62), M.Bonne (J.Piggott 85)

2. sheff wed.jpg

The new tactic immediately gets us a clean sheet and our first point is officially on the board. Let's see if we can kick on from here!

Saturday 28th August 2021 - 15:00
EFL League One - Accrington Stanley (Home)

Lineup: V.Hladky, K.Vincent-Young, L.Woolfenden, A.Pierre, D.Thompson, S.Morsy (L.Evans 68), T.Carroll, C.Mahoney*, S.Aluko, B.Celina (K.Edwards 68), M.Bonne

2. accrington.jpg

We did kick on from the draw in Sheffield and finally put up our first win of the season. We didn't dominate the stats here by any means, but we did take our chances well and were good value for the win. Connor Mahoney had a blinder, scoring a cracker for our first goal and assisting both the others.

Tuesday 31st August 2021 - 19:45
Papa John's Trophy Group Stage - West Ham Under 23s (Home)

Lineup: V.Hladky, K.Vincent-Young (D.Thompson 43), L.Woolfenden, C.Burgess, M.Penney, L.Evans, T.Carroll, C.Chaplin*, S.Aluko (I.El Mizouni 46), B.Celina, J.Pigott

2. west ham.jpg

Right, it is only West Ham's youngsters and it might only be the 'noddy' cup so I'm not going to get carried away, but this result could be significant in really kick starting our season. We were brilliant here and it's worth noting that since we changed formation, we haven't lost in 3 and have only conceded a single goal.

We certainly need to kick on in the league, that's for sure. It's not been a great start and we need a good month in September!

2. league.jpg

Player of the Month

2. thompson.jpg

Thompson has been electric down that left flank and has easily been the most consistent of all of our players so far. If the attackers could finish, he would have several assists to his name already!

September will offer up a relatively quiet month with only 4 games scheduled. The target has to be 9 points as a minimum to get our season back on track!

2. septemner.jpg

September 2021

Saturday 11th September 2021 - 15:00
EFL League One - Cheltenham Town (Home)

Lineup: V.Hladky, J.Donacien, L.Woolfenden, A.Pierre, D.Thompson*, S.Morsy, T.Carroll, C.Chaplin (C.Mahoney 65), S.Aluko (I.El Mizouni 65), B.Celina, M.Bonne

3. cheltenham.jpg

Another really disappointing result in a game that we really should have won. We were on top for the most part, but our finishing let us down and failure to find the back of the net costs us 2 points!

Tuesday 14th Septemnber 2021 - 20:00
EFL League One - Oxford United (Away)

Lineup: V.Hladky, J.Donacien, L.Woolfenden, A.Pierre, D.Thompson, L.Evans (S.Morsy 59), T.Carroll, C.Mahoney, I.El Mizouni, B.Celina, J.Pigott (M.Bonne 66)

3. oxford.jpg

Oxford isn't the easiest place to go, so I didn't expect an easy game, but again it's a tough result to take. An early penalty for them unsettled us and it took us 20-25 minutes to come into the game. Unfortunately, just as we were starting to get on top, they scored from a corner and held on to take all 3 points!

Saturday 18th September 2021 - 15:00
EFL League One - MK Dons (Home)

Lineup: V.Hladky, J.Donacien, G.Edmundson, A.Pierre, D.Thompson (M.Penney 53), S.Morsy, T.Carroll (I.El Mizouni 82), C.Mahoney (C.Chaplin 20), B.Celina*, S.Aluko, M.Bonne

3. mk dones.jpg

Much, much better! A lot more chances created and we were dominant for long periods in this game, so Sone Aluko's 2 late goals were fully justified in our performance and we deserved the win!

Saturday 25th September 2021 - 15:00
EFL League One - AFC Wimbledon (Away)

Lineup: V.Hladky, J.Donacien, G.Edmundson, A.Pierre, D.Thompson*, S.Morsy, T.Carroll, C.Chaplin, B.Celina, S.Aluko, M.Bonne

3. wimbledon.jpg

A boring first half here was followed by a scintilating second! We went into a 3-0 lead taking control of the match, before Wimbledon starting to stage their potential comeback. In the end, we were definitely hanging on a bit, but managed to secure a much needed victory!

I was aiming for 9 points at the start of the month and we got 7 which isn't the end of the world as we move within 3 points of the playoff positions, although still in the bottom half of the table!

3. league.jpg

Player of the Month

3. celina.jpg

I didn't have one of our best (if not our best) players available for the first few games, but Celina has now come into his own and has been our biggest threat in attack over the past month.

Well September may have been quiet, but October will be anything but! No less than 8 games to play next month, including my first meeting against my beloved Gills.

3. october.jpg

October 2021

Saturday 2nd October 2021 - 15:00
EFL League One - Plymouth Argyle (Away)

Lineup: V.Hladky, J.Donacien, G.Edmundson, A.Pierre, D.Thompson, S.Morsy, T.Carroll, C.Chaplin*, B.Celina (M.Penney 72), S.Aluko (J.Pigott 78), M.Bonne

4. plymouth.jpg

Easily our biggest and best win of the season so far. Plymouth came into this game in 4th place and presented us with a tough test. A test we passed with flying colours!

Tuesday 5th October 2021 - 17:45
Papa John's Trophy Group Stage - Colchester United (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young, L.Woolfenden, C.Burgess*, M.Penney, L.Evans, T.Carroll (I.El Mizouni 50), C.Chaplin, B.Celina (K.Edwards 50), S.Aluko (M.Bonne 68), J.Pigott

4. colchester.jpg

After 35 shots at goal, we finally scored the winner in the 94th minute!!

Saturday 16th October 2021 - 15:00
EFL League One - Doncaster Rovers (Home)

Lineup: V.Hladky, K.Vincent-Young, G.Edmundson*, A.Pierre, D.Thompson, S.Morsy, T.Carroll, C.Chaplin (K.Edwards 66), B.Celina, J.Pigott (W.Burns 66), M.Bonne

4. donny.jpg

Another game where we made hard work of it (despite dominating) and another game where a late, late goal grabbed us the win!

Wednesday 20th October 2021 - 19:45
EFL League One - Gillingham (Away)

Lineup: V.Hladky, L.Woolfenden, G.Edmundson, C.Burgess, D.Thompson (M.Penney 73), L.Evans, T.Carroll, C.Chaplin, B.Celina (K.Edwards 63), J.Pigott*, M.Bonne (W.Burns 63)

4. gills.jpg

The one game a year I don't mind losing, but there was never much chance of that happening with the Mighty Gills sitting bottom of the table! With regards to our own league position, this win saw us move up to 8th.

Saturday 23rd October 2021 - 15:00
EFL League One - Charlton Athletic (Away)

Lineup: V.Hladky, L.Woolfenden, C.Burgess, A.Pierre, D.Thompson (M.Penney 70), L.Evans (S.Morsy 70), T.Bakinson, C.Chaplin, K.Edwards, J.Pigott, W.Burns (S.Aluko 70)

4. charlton.jpg

After 6 wins on the bounce (in all comps), we fell to defeat here. We lost the game in the first half where we really weren't at the races. In the second half, we did improve and created a lot more, but couldn't find the goals to get us back on terms.

Wednesday 27th October 2021 - 19:45
EFL League One - Rotherham United (Home)

Lineup: V.Hladky, L.Woolfenden, G.Edmundson, C.Burgess (J.Donacien 72), M.Penney, S.Morsy, T.Carroll, C.Chaplin (W.Burns 72), B.Celina, J.Pigott*, S.Aluko

4. rotherham.jpg

Rotherham are one of the favourites to go up this year, so this was the perfect way to bounce back from the defeat at Charlton. Joe Pigott turned in his 2nd man of the match performance in our last 3 games as he seems to have hit a decent run of form.

Saturday 30th October 2021 - 15:00
EFL League One - Cambridge United (Home)

Lineup: V.Hladky, J.Donacien, C.Burgess*, A.Pierre, D.Thompson, S.Morsy (L.Evans 73), T.Bakinson, W.Burns (C.Chaplin 73), K.Edwards, S.Aluko, J.Pigott

4. cambridge.jpg

We finish the month with another win and we've well and truly turned the corner now. Just a single goal here grabs us the 3 points, a great solo effort from Kyle Edwards as he beats 2 defenders before a tidy finish beat Dimitar Mitov in the Cambridge goal.

A great month has seen us rise into playoff contention!

4. league.jpg

Monthly Awards

4. manager of month.jpg

Player of the Month

4. pigott.jpg

4 assists and 3 goals for Pigott this month as he has gone from backup to first choice striker!

The schedule next month is just as manic as this month was, with loads of games to be played! We've been handed a tough draw in the FA Cup and will do well to get through. Away games at Wigan and Portsmouth in the league are also likely to prove tough!

4. november.jpg

Wanted to do an Ipswich save for a while but I cant get my head around starting in a middling division lol. Either top or bottom makes sense to me!

Good luck!

Wanted to do an Ipswich save for a while but I cant get my head around starting in a middling division lol. Either top or bottom makes sense to me!

Good luck!

I always felt similar, but then I realised if I start at the top I find it way too easy and if I start at the bottom, by the time you get to the top, it's mostly regens (which I don't have a problem with, but it would be nice to be able to sign at least some players that I know at the top level). Starting in the middle should give a long term challenge that isn't too easy, but hopefully allow you to get up the leagues a little quicker than starting so far down.

November 2021

Wednesday 3rd November 2021 - 20:00

EFL League One - Wigan Athletic (Away)
Lineup: V.Hladky, J.Donacien, G.Edmundson*, A.Pierre, D.Thompson (K.Vincent-Young 81), S.Morsy, T.Carroll, C.Chaplin, K.Edwards (B.Celina 66), S.Aluko (M.Bonne 66), J.Pigott

5. wigan.jpg

I knew Wigan would present a tough challenge, so I'm proud of my lads for our second half comeback here. A good point!

Saturday 6th November 2021 - 15:00
Emirates FA Cup First Round - Sheffield Wednesday (Home)

Lineup: V.Hladky, K.Vincent-Young*, L.Woolfenden, C.Burgess, M.Penney, L.Evans, T.Bakinson, K.Jackson, B.Celina, S.Aluko, M.Bonne

5. sheff 1.jpg

With only 3 days between games, I had to rotate 9 players in the starting eleven, which worried me going into the game. However, the lads did me proud and we were the much better side throughout. Unfortunately, we couldn't find that 2nd goal to get the win though and we'll face a tough replay away in Sheffield in a couple of weeks.

Tuesday 9th November 2021 - 19:45
Papa John's Trophy Group Stage - Gillingham (Away)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young, L.Woolfenden, E.Agbaje, D.Thompson, L.Evans, T.Bakinson, W.Burns, K.Edwards (K.Jackson 61), S.Aluko, J.Pigott

5. gills.jpg

I didn't go full strenght against The Gills in the noddy cup as our two wins had pretty much done enough for us to qualify already. We managed a draw at Priestfield, with Gillingham taking the bonus point on the penalty shootout. One of them games that really doesn't really have any significance in the grand scheme of things.

Through to the knockout stages as group winners. I don't have a lot of respect for this competition (rightly of wrongly) but I guess silverware is silverware and if you make it to the final, the fans do at least get a day out at Wembley. We'll take on Walsall in the next round.

5. papa johns group.jpg

So I've been in charge for 20 games already and the main focal point for the journalists is our incredible goalscoring record as I have the side averaging just under 2 goals per game.

5. 20 games in.jpg

Wednesday 17th November 2021 - 19:45
Emirates FA Cup First Round Replay - Sheffield Wednesday (Away)

Lineup: V.Hladky, K.Vincent-Young (J.Donacien 79), G.Edmundson (L.Woolfenden 79), C.Burgess, D.Thompson (M.Penney 108), S.Morsy, T.Carroll, C.Chaplin, B.Celina (K.Edwards 79), S.Aluko*, J.Pigott

5. sheff 2.jpg

It took the whole 120 minutes to settle our FA Cup replay with Sheffield Wednesday and the only thing that seperated the two sides was a powerful effort from our top score, Conor Chaplin!

Saturday 20th November 2021 - 15:00
EFL League One - Fleetwood Town (Home)

Lineup: V.Hladky, K.Vincent-Young, L.Woolfenden, G.Edmundson, M.Penney, L.Evans, T.Bakinson, W.Burns, K.Edwards (B.Celina 71), S.Aluko (J.Pigott 63), M.Bonne

5. fleetwood.jpg

Going into this one after having to play extra time in the FA Cup, it's fair to say my squad was TIRED! Despite that, all the lads that played put in a good performance and we really should have won the game - the only player that let us down was the keeper (match rating of 6.3) who was at fault for 2 of Fleetwood's goals!

Wednesday 24th November 2021 - 20:00
EFL League One - Portsmouth (Away)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young, G.Edmundson, A.Pierre, D.Thompson, C.Chaplin, L.Evans, T.Carroll (T.Bakinson 73), K.Edwards (B.Celina 61), S.Aluko*, J.Pigott

5. portsmouth.jpg

We showed good spirit against a Portsmouth side that will also be challenging for a playoff position come the end of the season, twice coming from behind to earn another valuable point away from home.

Saturday 27th November 2021 - 15:00
EFL League One - Shrewsbury Town (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young, L.Woolfenden, C.Burgess*, M.Penney, S.Morsy, T.Carroll (T.Bakinson 45), W.Burns, B.Celina, S.Aluko (J.Pigott 45), M.Bonne

5. shrews.jpg

The Shrews were no match for us and we were always in control of this game with the 3 points never really in doubt.

Tuesday 30th November 2021 - 19:45
Papa John's Trophy Southern Section Second Round - Walsall (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton, J.Donacien, L.Woolfenden, G.Edmundson, D.Thompson (C.Burgess 62), T.Bakinson, T.Carroll (I.El Mizouni 62), K.Jackson*, C.Chaplin, S.Aluko, J.Pigott

5. walsall.jpg

A Kayden Jackson double ensured we saw off the challenge from League Two's Walsall in the Papa John's Trophy. I didn't register Jackson for our league squad as I couldn't fit him in, but he is performing well enough for us in the cups, with 3 goals in 3 games now.

In the league, we now sit 7th with 18 games played, although we do have games in hand over 3 of the sides above us. Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland and Rotherham are starting to open up a small gap at the top.

5. league.jpg

Player of the Month

5. aluko.jpg

Sone Aluko is one of the only players to have featured in every single game this month and he has been ultra consistent with his match ratings. He also grabbed 3 assists and 2 goals this month as well.

Our schedule continues to be relentless and unforgiving through December with yet another 8 games to play!! Our Boxing Day fixture against Plymouth will be a highlight.

5. december.jpg

December 2021

Saturday 4th December 2021 - 15:00

FA Cup Second Round - Port Vale (Away)
Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young (J.Donacien 79), L.Woolfenden, C.Burgess, M.Penney*, S.Morsy, T.Carroll (I.El Mizouni 65), K.Jackson, B.Celina, S.Aluko (M.Bonne 65), J.Pigott

6. port vale.jpg

What a weird game this was. For 73 minutes we struggled to find the back of the net after completely dominating the match! Then in the final 17 minutes, we simply couldn't miss!! We'll now play Aston Villa away in the next round.

Tuesday 7th December 2021 - 20:00
EFL League One - Wycombe Wanderers (Away)
Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young, G.Edmundson*, C.Burgess, D.Thompson, L.Evans, T.Bakinson, C.Chaplin, K.Edwards, J.Pigott (W.Burns 73), M.Bonne

6. wycombe.jpg

We picked up where we left off against the Vale and absolutely battered Wycombe here. A stellar performance from George Edmundson at the back!

Saturday 11th December 2021 - 15:00
EFL League One - Crewe Alexandra (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton, J.Donacien, L.Woolfenden (Sent off 41), C.Burgess, D.Thompson, L.Evans, T.Carroll (W.Burns 78), C.Chaplin (Idris El Mizouni 78), B.Celina*, S.Aluko, M.Bonne (A.Pierre 41)

6. crewe.jpg

The goals just keep on coming as we smash 5 past Crewe and we're starting to put the league leaders on high alert with this form. Bersant Celina becomes the first player to score a hat trick under my management.

Wednesday 15th December 2021 - 20:00
EFL League One - Bolton Wanderers (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young*, G.Edmundson, A.Pierre, D.Thompson (M.Penney 69), S.Morsy, T.Carroll, C.Chaplin, K.Edwards, S.Aluko (M.Bonne 51), J.Pigott

6. bolton.jpg

A late goal from Macauley Bonne from the bench ensured we made it 4 straight wins in the league and 6 straight wins in all competitions.

Saturday 18th December 2021 - 15:00
EFL League One - Shrewsbury Town (Away)

Lineup: C.Walton, J.Donacien, G.Edmundson (L.Woolfenden 56), C.Burgess, M.Penney, L.Evans, T.Bakinson, W.Burns, B.Celina, J.Pigott, M.Bonne*

6. shrews.jpg

We only played Shrewsbury a few weeks ago and smashed them 4-1 at home. We replicated that result here on their turf, with Macauley Bonne stealing the show.

Wednesday 22nd December 2021 - 20:00
EFL League One - Lincoln City (Away)

Lineup: C.Walton, J.Docacien, L.Woolfenden, G.Edmundson, D.Thompson, L.Evans (S.Morsy 63), T.Carroll, C.Chaplin (C.Mahoney 63), K.Edwards, S.Aluko*, M.Bonne

6. lincoln.jpg

Despite a late fight back from Lincoln, we still managed to bag another win here. We looked extremely nervous in the final couple of minutes, but managed to hold on!

Sunday 26th December 2021 - 15:00
EFL League One - Plymouth Argyle (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young, L.Woolfenden, C.Burgess, M.Penney, L.Evans, T.Bakinson, C.Chaplin (C.Mahoney 74), K.Edwards (I.El Mizouni 74), S.Aluko (T.Hughes 57), J.Pigott

6. plymouth.jpg

This was our worst performance for a while, but then Plymouth are 5th in the league and we are absolutely knackered!! So I can live with a point under the circumstances!

Tuesday 28th December 2021 - 15:00
EFL League One - Burton Albion (Away)

Lineup: V.Hladky, J.Donacien, G.Edmundson*, A.Pierre, D.Thompson, T.Carroll, I.El Mizouni (T.Bakinson 71), C.Mahoney, T.Hughes (C.Chaplin 83), S.Aluko (J.Pigott 71), M.Bonne

6.burton.jpg

Burton are bottom of the league, so this was a bad result for us! We were out on our a**es though after so many games over the past couple of months and we desperately need a rest!

But we won't be getting a rest any time soon, with January throwing up another 8 games!!

6. january.jpg

An unbeaten month of football had left us in a nice league position at the end of the year though. Sheffield Wednesday are going to take some catching though!

6. league.jpg

Player of the Month

6. bonne.jpg

Macauley Bonne had a great month scoring 9 goals in December!

And he now leads the way for the League One golden boot!

6. golden boot.jpg

Monthly Awards

6. award 1.jpg

6. award 2.jpg

January 2022

Saturday 1st January 2022 - 15:00

EFL League One - Gillingham (Home)
Lineup: C.Walton, J.Donacien*, L.Woolfenden, C.Burgess, M.Penney, L.Evans (T.Carroll 76), I.El Mizouni, C.Chaplin (C.Mahoney 76), K.Edwards, S.Aluko (T.Hughes 76), W.Burns

7. gills.jpg

Not the most amazing performance but we got the job done through an early Wes Burns goal. Although we didn't get the 2nd, we didn't really look like dropping points here though and as much as it pains me to say it, The Gills look like they'll do well to stay up this season!

Tuesday 4th January 2022 - 20:00
Papa John's Trophy Southern Section Third Round - Forest Green (Away)

Lineup: V.Hladky, K.Vincent-Young (J.Donacien 69), L.Woolfenden, A.Pierre, M.Penney, L.Evans, T.Bakinson, K.Jackson, C.Mahoney (K.Edwards 62), J.Pigott*, W.Burns (S.Aluko 62)

7. forest green.jpg

Forest Green came extremely close to knocking us out of a 2nd cup competition this season. Only a 90th minute equaliser and a penalty shootout got us through to the next round!

Saturday 8th January 2022 - 15:00
Emirates FA Cup Third Round - Aston Villa (Away)

Lineup: V.Hladky, K.Vincent-Young, G.Edmundson, C.Burgess, D.Thompson, C.Chaplin (C.Mahoney 68), L.Evans, T.Bakinson, B.Celina (K.Edwards 68), S.Aluko, J.Pigott (K.Jackson 76)

7. villa.jpg

A brave effort from my lads! It took a wonder goal from Jacob Ramsey to get Villa in front and up until that point, we had held our own and even had a couple of chances to take the lead. We certainly didn't disgrace ourselves here against Premier League opposition.

Tuesday 11th January 2022 - 20:00
EFL League One - Burton Albion (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young (G.Edmundson 64), L.Woolfenden*, A.Pierre, M.Penney, L.Evans, T.Carroll, W.Burns, K.Edwards (C.Mahoney 64), C.Chaplin (J.Pigott 64), S.Aluko

7. burton.jpg

We were back to our best against bottom of the table, Burton Albion, as we cruised to a comfortable win.

Saturday 15th January 2022 - 15:00
EFL League One - Charlton Athletic (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young, G.Edmundson, C.Burgess, D.Thompson, T.Carroll (L.Evans 71), T.Bakinson, C.Mahoney, B.Celina*, C.Chaplin (W.Burns 71), J.Pigott

7. charlton.jpg

And against Charlton we were even better! This was actually the best I think we've played all season and The Addicks can count themselves lucky we didn't smash 6 or 7 past them here!

Saturday 22nd January 2022 - 15:00
EFL League One - Rotherham United (Away)

Lineup: C.Walton, J.Donacien, L.Woolfenden, C.Burgess, D.Thompson, T.Carroll*, T.Bakinson (L.Evans 66), K.Edwards, B.Celina, S.Aluko, W.Burns (J.Pigott 66)

7. rotherham.jpg

Rotherham are right up there challenging for at least a playoff spot this year, so this was a massive victory for us. It looked like they might have nicked a point at the end there, but Kyle Edwards had other ideas.

Wednesday 26th January 2022 - 19:45
Papa John's Trophy Southern Section Quarter Final - Wigan Athletic (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton, J.Donacien, G.Edmundson*, A.Pierre, M.Penney, L.Evans, T.Bakinson, C.Chaplin, K.Edwards (C.Mahoney 77), K.Jackson, W.Burns

7. wigan.jpg

A solid performance in the noddy cup over a decent team and we move into the southern regional semi final. We won't get too carried away with this competition, but I still maintain it would be nice to give our fans a day out at Wembley if we can make it to the final.

Saturday 29th January 2022 - 15:00
EFL League One - Oxford United (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young (J.Donacien 40), L.Woolfenden*, C.Burgess (G.Edmundson 65), D.Thompson, S.Morsy, T.Carroll, C.Mahoney, B.Celina, S.Aluko (C.Chaplin 65), J.Pigott

7. oxford.jpg

We didn't really deserve anything from this game and Oxford created much better chances than us, so we have to see this as a good point.

Although the Oxford result did extend our unbeaten home record to 20 games! Portman Road is becoming somewhat of a fortress.

7. 20 unbeaten.jpg

Loan In - Joe Hugill (ST)
Signed From Manchester United Until The End Of The Season

7.hugill.jpg

Joe Hugill boosts our striking options between now and the end of the campaign. Sone Aluko and Joe Pigott have really carried us through a few months with a lot of games, but I fear they will run out steam soon if I didn't get them some help!

Sheffield Wednesday still lead the way in the league, although if we win our game in hand we will come within 3 points of them! We do have a nice 10 point cushion back to 7th now with 16 games left.

7. league.jpg

Player of the Month

7. woolfenden.jpg

Another centre back gets it! Luke Woolfenden has featured in 5 games this month with a minimum match rating of 7.5 in every appearance!

February 2022

Tuesday 1st February 2022 - 20:00
EFL League One - Doncaster Rovers (Away)
Lineup: C.Walton, J.Donacien, G.Edmundson, C.Burgess, M.Penney, L.Evans, T.Bakinson, C.Chaplin, K.Edwards, S.Aluko (K.Jackson 60), J.Hugill (M.Bonne 60)

8. donny.jpg

Kayden Jackson was registered for league games in the January transfer window and he repaid my faith by coming off the bench to score our first goal and get us on our way to getting back into this game. We'll take that point after being 2-0 down!!

Saturday 5th February 2022 - 15:00
EFL League One - Cheltenham Town (Away)

Lineup: C.Walton, J.Donacien, L.Woolfenden, A.Pierre, D.Thompson, T.Carroll (L.Evans 78), T.Bakinson, C.Mahoney, B.Celina, K.Jackson, J.Hugill*

8. cheltenham.jpg

Joe Hugill scored his first goal for the club to ensure we take another 3 points in a tight game against a Cheltenham side that battled well.

Transfer Out - Vaclav Hladky
Sold to Bohemians Praha for £155,000

8. hladky.jpg

Hladky has fallen down the pecking order to become number 2 keeper this year and he had thrown his dummy out the pram about it over the past month or two, causing disruption in the changing room. I therefore decided to let him go and clear his £5k per week wages off the bill.

The decision was made easier by the fact I had Tomas Holy, who I was able to recall from his loan spell at Port Vale to act as backup keeper for the rest of the season. Although, he will only be here until then, having a agreed a move to Zbrojovka Brno at the end of his contract.

8. holy.jpg

Wednesday 9th February 2022 - 20:00
EFL League One - Sunderland (Away)

Lineup: C.Walton, J.Donacien*, G.Edmundson, C.Burgess, M.Penney, C.Mahoney, S.Morsy, T.Carroll, B.Celina (C.Chaplin 67), J.Pigott (S.Aluko 67), M.Bonne (J.Hugill 84)

8. sunderland.jpg

A massive game for both clubs as 3rd played 2nd and we got off to the perfect start, when Bonne opened the scoring on just 31 seconds! Some sloppy defending saw us give away a needless penalty to allow them to level things up and the remainder of the first half was very tight, but the teams went in level. The second half was just as tight, with both teams creating good chances but in the end, it was a wonder goal from Aiden McGeady that sealed a massive win for The Black Cats.

Saturday 12th February 2022 - 15:00
EFL League One - MK Dons (Away)

Lineup: C.Walton, J.Donacien, L.Woolfenden, C.Burgess, D.Thompson, L.Evans, T.Bakinson, C.Chaplin (C.Mahoney 64), K.Edwards (S.Aluko 88), J.Pigott, J.Hugill (K.Jackson 64)

8. mk dons.jpg

Still hungover from the defeat against Sunderland, we were poor here as we suffer back to back losses! Plenty of chances created but unfortunately a lack of quality in the final third.

Saturday 19th February 2022 - 15:00
EFL League One - AFC Wimbledon (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton, J.Donacien, L.Woolfenden, G.Edmundson, D.Thompson, S.Morsy, T.Bakinson (I.El Mizouni 56, Sent Off 75), C.Mahoney, C.Chaplin, S.Aluko (K.Jackson 56), M.Bonne (J.Hugill 56)

8. wimbledon.jpg

We desperately needed to get back to winning ways and there was no better fixture than to play the team that were bottom of the form table! AFC Wimbledon were that team and took a thumping from us here.

Tuesday 22nd February 2022 - 19:45
EFL League One - Cambridge United (Away)

Lineup: C.Walton, J.Donacien, L.Woolfenden, C.Burgess, M.Penney, L.Evans, T.Bakinson (T.Carroll 70), K.Jackson, B.Celina, S.Aluko, J.Hugill

8 cambridge.jpg

Points dropped against Cambridge as our strike force let us down on the day with their inability to stick the ball in the back of the net.

Saturday 26th February 2022 - 15:00
EFL League One - Wigan Athletic (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton, J.Donacien, G.Edmundson, C.Burgess, D.Thompson, S.Morsy, T.Carroll, C.Mahoney, K.Edwards, K.Jackson (J.Pigott 66), M.Bonne (J.Hugill 66)

8. wigan.jpg

We capped off what has been a pretty terrible month with another defeat! Wigan are struggling down in the bottom half of the table and we don't really have any excuses for not winning this game. We must improve if we are going to maintain our push for promotion.

We have slipped out of the automatic promotion spots and unless we get back to winning ways quickly, we may lose touch on the top 2!

8. league.jpg

Player of the Month

8. mahoney.jpg

In amongst all the defeats this month, Connor Mahoney did at least contribute with 3 assists and a goal.

Next month throws up a mixed bag in the league with a couple of opponents in the top 6 and a couple battling relegation. In amongst the league matches will be the semi of our Papa John;s Trophy...it will be a tough game against Wednesday but gives us a shot at a day out at Wembley so we will be taking it seriously.

8. march.jpg

March 2022

Tuesday 1st March 2022 - 19:45
EFL League One - Wycombe Wanderers (Home)

Lineup: T.Holy, K.Vincent-Young, L.Woolfenden, A.Pierre, M.Penney, S.Morsy, T.Bakinson, C.Mahoney, B.Celina, J.Pigott (S.Aluko 70), J.Hugill*

9. wycombe.jpg

Considering how on top we were throughout this game, it was disappointing not to win and I worry that we've carried over our poor form from February into March.

Saturday 5th March 2022 - 15:00
EFL League One - Fleetwood Town (Away)

Lineup: T.Holy, J.Donacien, L.Woolfenden, C.Burgess, M.Penney, S.Morsy (T.Carroll 59), T.Bakinson, C.Chaplin*, S.Aluko (K.Edwards 59), J.Pigott, J.Hugill (K.Jackson 58)

9. fleetwood.jpg

Our best performance in a while against a Fleetwood side that now drop into the relegation zone after this defeat. Sam Morsy's goal to open the scoring here was an absolute banger from distance as he thundered home an effort from 25 yards!

Tuesday 8th March 2022 - 19:45
Papa John's Trophy Southern Section Semi Final - Sheffield Wednesday (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young, G.Edmundson, C.Burgess, D.Thompson, S.Morsy, T.Carroll*, W.Burns (C.Chaplin 64), S.Aluko, K.Jackson (J.Pigott 64), M.Bonne

9. sheff papa j.jpg

Oi oi, Ipswich are on their way to Wembley! It might be the noddy cup, but it will give a good day out for the fans and is a chance at silverware in my first season at the club!

Saturday 12th March 2022 - 15:00
EFL League One - Morecambe (Home)

Lineup: T.Holy, J.Donacien, G.Edmundson (L.Woolfenden 60), A.Pierre, M.Penney (Sent off 90), S.Morsy, T.Carroll, C.Chaplin, S.Aluko, J.Pigott (K.Jackson 60), J.Hugill

9. morecambe.jpg

Back in the league, we suffered a really disappointing defeat at home to Morecambe. Simply not good enough!

Saturday 19th March 2022 - 15:00
EFL League One - Accrington Stanley (Away)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young, G.Edmundson, C.Burgess, D.Thompson, L.Evans, T.Carroll, C.Mahoney, C.Chaplin (S.Aluko 76), J.Pigott, J.Hugill (M.Bonne 64)

9. accrington.jpg

We absolutely battered Accrington here, but could only get one goal past them! Luckily, one goal was enough!

We have dropped down to 4th and off the pace of the front two and now we look like our best hope of promotion this season is via the playoffs.

9. league.jpg

Player of the Month

9. carroll.jpg

2 assists and a goal for Carroll who played in 4 of our 5 games this month. His assists from central midfield have been half decent this year and he may well reach double figures by the end of the season.

We will finish our season in April (minus the potential playoffs that is). We kick off with a day out at Wembley and a chance to lift the Papa John's Trophy although Man City's youngsters are probably the best youth team in the country! Following that, our run in is anything but an easy one and we'll have to be at our best to maintain our position in the top 6!

9. april.jpg

April 2022

The lineups for our first ever cup final under my management. Man City have pulled out the big gun in Fernandinho as he starts...still think it's a joke that they can choose to bring in first teamers like this but still!

1. final lineups.jpg

Sunday 3rd April 2022 - 13:30
Papa John's Trophy Final - Manchester City U23s (Wembley)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young, G.Edmundson, C.Burgess, D.Thompson, S.Morsy, T.Carroll (T.Bakinson 76), C.Mahoney*, C.Chaplin (J.Pigott 64), S.Aluko, M.Bonne

1. man city.jpg

The victory was emphatic! We absolutetly battered City's youngsters...and Fernandinho! It might be the noddy cup, but I'm still incredibly proud of my lads and pleased to lift a trophy in my first season in charge.

1. cup winners.jpg

Conor Chaplin was our player of the tournament as he bagged 7 goals in 6 games and got a couple of assists as well!

1. cup performers.jpg

Saturday 9th April 2022 - 15:00
EFL League One - Lincoln City (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young, G.Edmundson, C.Burgess, D.Thompson, S.Morsy, T.Carroll (T.Bakinson 80), C.Mahoney, B.Celina*, S.Aluko (J.Pigott 67), M.Bonne

1. lincoln.jpg

Lincoln are struggling at the bottom end of the table, so this was a poor result for us, made even poorer by the fact we first let a 2-0 lead slip and then when we got our noses back in front, we again couldn't hold on to it late on!

Friday 14th April 2022 - 20:00
EFL League One - Crewe Alexandra (Away)

Lineup: T.Holy, K.Vincent-Young, G.Edmundson, A.Pierre, D.Thompson, L.Evans, T.Carroll, C.Mahoney (C.Chaplin 27), B.Celina (K.Edward 64), S.Aluko, M.Bonne (J.Pigott 64)

1. crewe.jpg

Another draw as we struggle away at Crewe. They were all over us at times and the back 3rd of this season has been full of poor performances for us!

Wednesday 20th April 2022 - 20:00
EFL League One - Portsmouth (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young, G.Edmundson, A.Pierre, D.Thompson, L.Woolfenden, T.Carroll, L.Evans (T.Bakinson 61), C.Mahoney, B.Celina (C.Chaplin* 65), M.Bonne (J.Hugill 89)

1. portsmouth.jpg

Although we weren't the better side, we managed to pick up a big win against another side that will be competing in the playoffs. Conor Chaplin turned in a man of the match performance from the bench.

Saturday 23rd April 2022 - 15:00
EFL League One - Sheffield Wednesday (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton*, K.Vincent-Young, G.Edmundson, C.Burgess, M.Penney, A.Pierre, T.Carroll (T.Bakinson 65), I.El Mizouni, C.Chaplin, B.Celina (K.Edwards 65), J.Hugill

1. wednesday.jpg

Again, we were outclassed for large periods of this game but managed to grind out a result! A Conor Chaplin strike from the penalty spot was enough, but it was our keeper that was the hero on the day and these 3 points can definitely be attributed to him!

Saturday 30th April 2022 - 12:00
EFL League One - Bolton Wanderers (Away)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young, G.Edmundson, C.Burgess, D.Thompson, L.Woolfenden (A.Pierre 65), T.Carroll, I.El Mizouni, C.Chaplin, B.Celina (K.Edwards 65), M.Bonne (J.Pigott 65)

1. bolton.jpg

We finish the season with a rather underwhelming result away at Bolton! This month might have only seen us with the 1 defeat but the performances have been less than inspiring!

So it was a 4th placed finish for us in the end and we'll contest the playoffs next month, kicking off with a semi final tie against Portsmouth.

1. league.jpg

Player of the Month

1. chaplin.jpg

Conor Chaplin finished the season with a personal flourish as he scored 4 goals in our last 3 games.

May 2022

Tuesday 10th May 2022 - 19:45
EFL League One Playoffs Semi Final First Leg - Portsmouth (Away)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young, L.Woolfenden, C.Burgess, D.Thompson, T.Carroll, G.Edmundson, B.Celina, I.El Mizouni, M.Bonne (J.Hugill 68), C.Chaplin

2. portsmouth 1.jpg

Not an ideal first leg result, although we are still very much in this tie with the home leg to come! In all fairness, this was a very even game that could have gone either way...I just wish we could have put away one of our chances.

Friday 13th May 2022 - 19:45
EFL League One Playoffs Semi Final Second Leg - Portsmouth (Home)

Lineup: C.Walton, K.Vincent-Young, L.Woolfenden, G.Edmundson, D.Thompson, C.Chaplin, S.Morsy, T.Bakinson, T.Carroll (C.Mahoney 47), B.Celina, W.Burns (J.Hugill 47)

2. portsmouth 2.jpg

Again our finishing let us down in the second leg and despite having a lot of GOOD chances, we just couldn't get them on target and were punished. We'll be playing League One football again next season!

After a tightly contested final, it was Sunderland who are promoted to the Championship and Pompey will be playing us again next season.

2. playoff final.jpg

Here's the league's player stats for the season. Macauley Bonne was amongst the top goalscorers - Jermaine Defoe showed that he still has something to offer this season for Sunderland, despite now being 39 years old! George Edmundson had the 2nd highest average rating of the season and I'm not sure how I feel about Sam Morsy's incredible tally of 16 yellow cards!!

2. play stats.jpg

End of Season Review 2021/22

Sky Bet League One - Finished 4th (Knocked out in Playoffs by Portsmouth)
Emirates FA Cup - Third Round (Knocked out by Aston Villa)
Carabao Cup - First Round (Knocked out by Forest Green)
Papa John's Trophy - Winners

Premier League Winners - Liverpool
Premier League Relegated - Brentford, Crystal Palace, Norwich
Sky Bet Championship Winners - Fulham
Sky Bet Championship Promoted - Blackburn,
Sky Bet Championship Relegated - Peterborough, Barnsley, Derby County
Sky Bet League One Winners - Oxford United
Sky Bet League One Promoted - Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland (Playoffs)
Sky Bet League One Relegated - Fleetwood Town, Burton Albion, Accrington Stanley, Gillingham
Sky Bet League Two Winners - Sutton United
Sky Bet League Two Promoted - Salford City, Northampton Town,
Sky Bet League Two Relegated - Stevenage, Harrogate Town
Vanarama National League Winners - Grimsby Town
Vanarama National League Promoted - Wrexham
Vanarama National League Relegated - Altrincham, Weymouth, Dover Athletic

Squad Stats & My Awards

EOS - squad.jpg

Top Goalscorer (all comps) = Conor Chaplin, Macauley Bonne (21)
Most Assists (all comps) = Conor Chaplin, Connor Mahoney (12)
Player of the Season = George Edmundson
Young Player of the Season (U23) = Luke Woolfenden
Surprise Package = Janoi Donacien
Expected More = Sam Morsy
Total Donkey = Kyle Edwards

I rotated through a number of different formations during the season and it surprises me that it picked this one for the best eleven as I only used it about 7-8 times and it wasn't hugely successful for us. With regards to the players, I'd agree with who has been picked though.

EOS - best 11.jpg

On club awards night, I wasn't surprised with the outcome at all as the fans gave their award to Conor Chaplin, whilst George Edmundson got the young player.

EOS - awards.jpg

General Performance

EOS - general performace.jpg

A lot of what we did this season was good as we were good passers of the ball and had relatively good shooting stats.

EOS - passing.jpg

EOS - shooting.jpg

The income into the club is fairly decent for a League One club.

EOS - income.jpg

However, our expenditure is way too high for this level and the bank balance isn't looking too healthy!

EOS - finances.jpg

The budgets for next year are as low as expected with the current financial situation. The wage budget does sit about £6k above what we are currently spending though.

EOS - budgets.jpg

Plans For The Summer

Well, I think there will be a lot of activity at the club with a number of players leaving and a fair few new arrivals. I have created the below formation and tactic that I want to play next season and will be ensuring I have the correct players for the correct positions. I have created three variants of this tactic with different team instructions and mentality. The one you see is our starting setup, the second is a defensive one to hold on to a lead and the third is a more attacking variant when we are chasing a game.

EOS - new tactic.jpg

Shame about the play offs but actually really refreshing to see a story where someone doesnt immediately get success!! Good luck rebuilding in the summer

Shame about the play offs but actually really refreshing to see a story where someone doesnt immediately get success!! Good luck rebuilding in the summer

Cheers mate. I'm quite happy with our first season to be fair...a trophy and playoffs which was above expectations and hopefully it will give us something to build on next year. Glad you're enjoying the save...I'm certainly not the best player by any stretch but I enjoy plodding along in my own little way :ROFLMAO:

June 2022

I love, love, love this idea from LutterworthFox who uses this spreadsheet for his saves. I've never thought of it before, but it is a brilliant way to look at your squad and what players you have coming through the system. I've therefore stolen the idea for my own save and hope LutterworthFox doesn't mind and see's it as the compliment it is meant to be. This is our squad as it sits at the start of the transfer window. We need to be investing in several positions for sure....lack of cover in LW and DM is concerning, whilst I have three players in my first choice positions who are actually fringe players at the club!

3. squad at start.jpg

This immediately posed me a problem during the Summer. I was expecting to use Idris El Mizouni quite a bit this season, but his work permit won't be renewed and he'll therefore not be allowed to play!!

3. el mizouni work perm.jpg

Transfer Out - Christian Walton (GK)
Sold to Bournemouth for £2.2 million

3. walton.jpg

Christian Walton may well have been my number 1 keeper, but even still, he wasn't that impressive last season with an average rating of just 6.88 and there were plenty of games (especially in the second half of the season) where he conceded goals I felt he should have saved. So when Bournemouth showed an interest with an initial offer of around £1.4 million and I was able to bump them up to over £2 mil for him, I was more than happy to accept.

Loan In - Alfie McCalmont (CM)
Signed On Season Long Loan From Leeds

3. mccalmon.jpg

Alfie won't necessarily be jumping straight into the first team but he will provide essential cover. He played 29 times for Morecambe over the past year and did a job for them without setting the world alight and I kind of expect the same for us.

Following a meeting with the board, they outline their expectations for the upcoming season and the playoffs is the minimum requirement for the league this year.

3. expectations.jpg

A whole host of players left the club at the end of their contracts, with the most notable names being Sone Aluko, James Norwood and Kayden Jackson.

3. released.jpg

July 2022

Transfer In - Josh Murphy (LW)

Signed from Cardiff on a Free Transfer

4. murphy.jpg

A great signing for us this one. Josh offers plenty of Premier League and Championship experience for the likes of Norwich and Cardiff and this is the first time he has dropped down to this level and I'm expecting him to flourish!

Transfer In - Reece Devine (LB)
Signed from Manchester United on a Free Transfer

4. devine.jpg

Reece is definitely not good enough to play for Man Utd, but now he has reached the age of 20, he is looking for more regular first team football and we can give him his chance to shine. He spent last season on loan at Walsall and was a first team regular in League Two. Time for him to show he can do it one level up!

Transfer Out - Tomas Holy (GK)
Released on a Free Transfer to Zbrojovka Brno

4. holy.jpg

Not good enough for us and I was happy to let him agree this deal to leave.

Transfer In - Kieran O'Hara (GK)
Signed from Fleetwood Town on a Free Transfer

4. o hara.jpg

Kieran has been brought in as Holy's replacement as a backup keeper. Although at the moment he is the only keeper so could still end up being number 1 yet!

Transfer In - Jake Clarke-Salter (CB)
Signed from Chelsea on a Free Transfer

4. clarke salter.jpg

I'm really pleased with this one and I had to fend off a lot of interest from other clubs to sign him! The centre back was on loan at Coventry in the Championship last year, making 19 appearances, and he could become one of our key players!

Transfer In - Marco Tumminello (ST)
Signed from Atalanta on a Free Transfer

4. tumminello.jpg

Possibly my most exciting signing of the Summer so far is Italian striker, Marco Tumminello. After coming through the youth at Roma, he was signed by Atalanta for over £4 million in 2018 and after a few loan spells at Lecce, Pescara, SPAL and Reggina, they was happy to let him go and we were happy to oblige and snap him up!

Transfer In - Joe Lolley (RW)
Signed from Nottingham Forest for £45,500

4. lolley.jpg

Another great signing for us with the arrival of Lolley. Another player with lots of experience playing at higher levels and he is likely to really shine for us! Lolley becomes our highest paid player at the club on £9.25k per week.

Transfer In - Raul Fernandez (GK)
Signed from Atletico Grau for £6k

4. fernandez.jpg

Our new number 1 keeper might be 36 years old, but he can still do a job for us for at least a season.

Transfer In - Jamie Allen (CM)
Signed from Coventry City for £67k

4. allen.jpg

As we continue to sign players from the above division, Jamie Allen is the next through the door. An absolute workhouse in the centre of the park, he will be key to our plans for promotion this season! His work rate is second to none, with good passing ability and a decent long shot I expect him to get the odd assist and goal too.

Transfer Out - Wes Burns (RW)
Sold to Preston North End for £115k

4. burns.jpg

With all the new arrivals, it was time to offload a couple of players and the first to leave is Wes Burns. He was second/third string all last season and after I transfer listed him, Preston quickly came in.

As far as our pre season went, we had five friendlies against lower league opposition and comfortably won them all.

4. friendlies.jpg

So as we go into the new season, this is my new squad spreadsheet updated and I feel a lot more confident now!

4. squad before season.jpg

Thursday 28th July 2022 - 20:00
Carabao Cup First Round - Reading (Away)

Lineup: R.Fernandez, K.Vincent-Young, G.Edmundson*, J.Clarke-Salter, R.Devine (M.Penney 67), T.Carroll, A.McCalmont, S.Morsy, C.Chaplin, C.Mahoney (J.Lolley 67), M.Tumminello (T.Simpson 77)

4. reading.jpg

Get in there! Last year we went out in the first round to lower league opposition and this year we go through against Championship opposition! We were helped by their 1st half red card, but I'll take it!

We will take on another Championship side in the next round of the Carabao Cup in between our 4 league games which kick off our League One campaign next month.

4. august.jpg