The truth behind player development

Canesdude

Reaction score
So, we all know that a regen with 199 PA is much sought after compared to a regen with just 165 PA. But, there could be one thing that doesn't separate the two. What is it?

Growth Potential.

For anyone who plays on Mac and has used the FM11SX scouting tool, you may notice a small column with the letters "GP", the column filled with all sorts of numbers ranging between 1-5 (lowest I've seen is 2 though). These tiny numbers and those tiny letters mean a lot though. It could be the difference between this horribly confused gentleman:
And this familiar face:​
View attachment 194177

So what does it mean?

It basically means that your player could be the next big thing or the next big flop.

Let's look at Tobias Figureido (who I am sure is a wonderkid at the start of the game, not sure though). PA of 179. Pretty good, right? Well, with a growth potential of 2.81, he may never hit 179. Oxlade-Chamerblain is the same way, 178 PA but a GP of 2.82, he most likely will plateau around 165.

Now, Raphael Stanescu. He has a PA of just 160. However, with a GP of 4.13, he will most likely hit 160.

The problem? This is a stat that is only viewable via editors. However, taking a look at mental stats should give you an idea of how good one player could be.​

I just have to say it also includes first-team matches, traning facilities, schedules, coaches, and how the game sets that particular player up... in two or three different save's every one of those stats you put are different...

I found a player (regen) with PA 199, but when I press "Show potential ability" His best CA is 169 not 199. He has ambition 17, professionalism 6 and determination 12. He is 15. If I tutor him will his professionalism grow? Genie Scout says that progress rate depends on ambition,determination and professionalism!

I found a player (regen) with PA 199, but when I press "Show potential ability" His best CA is 169 not 199. He has ambition 17, professionalism 6 and determination 12. He is 15. If I tutor him will his professionalism grow? Genie Scout says that progress rate depends on ambition,determination and professionalism!

Well, is he from your youth team or do you plan to buy him from another team? If it's the other option, than buy him and you'll see that his best CA will be 199... also include what I already put in my previous post...

That's one thing that I do not like in FM. You got somebody with a PA of 180-190 and above but he won't get any near the quality of those current real life players with 180-190 and above PA too. Even if you tried getting the best coaches, physios, having the best training facilities, playing him several first team football, etc. He just won't get any near the quality.

That's one thing that I do not like in FM. You got somebody with a PA of 180-190 and above but he won't get any near the quality of those current real life players with 180-190 and above PA too. Even if you tried getting the best coaches, physios, having the best training facilities, playing him several first team football, etc. He just won't get any near the quality.

thats not true, much like real life, its not just about potential, only players with the right mental outlook go on to be the very best. its definitely possible to get a 180 pa player to his potential,

thats not true, much like real life, its not just about potential, only players with the right mental outlook go on to be the very best. its definitely possible to get a 180 pa player to his potential,

What I'm trying to say is not that regens won't get to their PA of 180-190 and above. What I'm trying to point is most of the time even if they reach their PA, their final stats isn't near the quality of our current players who have comparable PA. Playing FM for several months, I haven't seen a regen develop into as good as Messi or Adler or Aguero, etc despite having and reaching his PA of 199, 200.

What I'm trying to say is not that regens won't get to their PA of 180-190 and above. What I'm trying to point is most of the time even if they reach their PA, their final stats isn't near the quality of our current players who have comparable PA. Playing FM for several months, I haven't seen a regen develop into as good as Messi or Adler or Aguero, etc despite having and reaching his PA of 199, 200.

How often do you see a player like Messi come along in real life? I refuse to believe you have 199/200 PA players not as good as Aguero/Adler etc. though. I can show you plenty with much less PA that are as good as current players from my save if you like. :)

How often do you see a player like Messi come along in real life? I refuse to believe you have 199/200 PA players not as good as Aguero/Adler etc. though. I can show you plenty with much less PA that are as good as current players from my save if you like. :)

Maybe I got little over there. Messi is one of a kind footballer. But in FM he's almost as good as Aguero (I think Aguero amd several other top FM players is overrated). Okay please be kind and show me regens that have 180+ PA's that became as good or better than real life players with comparable PA.

Maybe I got little over there. Messi is one of a kind footballer. But in FM he's almost as good as Aguero (I think Aguero amd several other top FM players is overrated). Okay please be kind and show me regens that have 180+ PA's that became as good or better than real life players with comparable PA.

I doubt anyone can be bothered enough to upload a specific example (of which there are thousands) just to prove you wrong, but if you mosey over to this thread, you might see what we mean.

if u know how to tutor players they most certainly reach their potential

all over 180PA and all got CA=PA-1
View attachment 194666View attachment 194667View attachment 194668View attachment 194669

that second regen had 70 goals in 31 league games! and the first had 35 goals in 18 league games!! :O

that second regen had 70 goals in 31 league games! and the first had 35 goals in 18 league games!! :O

they are from different save, tho it would be nice to have them as a duo TBH
second also got 101 in 46

Back on topic, anyway know what the potential stars in a scout report are linked to, is it GP or am I being really nooby?

Back on topic, anyway know what the potential stars in a scout report are linked to, is it GP or am I being really nooby?
hte only thing u need to know about scout reports is that every half golden star difference between Ca and PA means the player can improve most stats by 1
so if u got a player with 1.5 gold star CA and 3.5 PA he can improve most stats by 4
silver stars count as 0 so if u got x silver stars and 2.5 golden star potential he can improve most by 5

I've never gone beyond 2016 in FM so I've never met a good number of quality regens as good as those that you are posting here (or in the Show Off Your Regen Thread). Furthermore, the current real-life star players in my team and in the game is either just hitting their peak or still on their peak so developing regens isn't actually needed that much yet.

But actually I think those that reach such world-class status usually starts the game already with impressive stats. So its not actually you developed that regen from **** to world class but he already has the immense quality when the game generated him and you only have to develop him a little further. Having players in their early 20's (20,21,22) who's already as good as the current best players is just insane, for me at least. (Well at least I've never seen a regen who became as good as CR7 in your threads here). I never experienced it so I can't really conclude on things. If somebody could show me a screenshot of a regen when he was first generated (at maybe 14, 15 or 16 yo) by the game and then a few years later when he was already terrorizing the league, I would finally end this thing.

For now, let me continue with my game and see what happens to my best regens. My U-19 team is actually storming throughout the U-19's world and seems very much the nearest thing to the La Masia Class of 1987 I've ever seen since playing FM.

Last edited: