The UK Politics Thread

I really think Corbyn is the only realistic one to vote for this election if you give a **** about working class or disadvantaged people, totally agree with epic terrorist on the points he made.

Bringing discussion of the manchester attacks here as the United thread really is not the place and that needs to go back to football.

First off, just want to say I am appalled by the attacks and my hearts go out to all the victims.

Seen talk of a wall and stricter immigration thats all well and good but when we are combating homegrown terrorists that really is not going to help.

Seen a lot of hate online and I get people are angry but honestly "wiping people out" and "deporting all muslims" is not the way to go either. Hate only breeds more hate. We have to look at wider societal issues on why people are turning to extremism in the first place. I would imagine its similar to why people join gangs as they want a feeling of belonging and self worth etc. We need to start understanding why this is happening and changing things in society, but that would require fundamental changes from government and require investment in poor areas and not giving corporate companies 70 billion pounds in tax breaks.

Things need to change and have done for a long time as I know people in my generation feel a disconnect with national government especially where I live I cannot comment for you guys, although I imagine people in northern cities maybe feel the same (scouse, mike zzeezzy etc).

I dont have all the answers but bombing other poor people is definitely not the answer.

On a positive note its great to see how Manchester has come together, some of the stuff I have seen across twitter and facebook makes me proud to be a brit.

Keep it ******* tasteful, and keep it friendly as things are still raw and politics is not worth falling out with strangers on the internet ;)

Honestly I don't even discuss this **** with people anymore, because both sides of mainstream politics have no real answers. The left would prefer to go full Neville Chamberlain and do nothing while people are being blown up. The right are incapable of comprehending that attackers are almost always 2nd generation immigrants with citizenships and thus are undeportable. Nobody has any practical solutions to offer other than ********.

Not politics I know. But wtf is happening in London! Thoughts go out to all who's been involved or effected by these 3 attacks. Absolutely git wrenching reading reports! :(

I just facepalmed at one of the BBC journos. Telling people "don't be alarmed...but one of the attackers appeared to have cannisters attached to his waist". Good way not to alarm people........... Jesus christ

PM already saying it's a potential act of terrorism

Last edited:
I just facepalmed at one of the BBC journos. Telling people "don't be alarmed...but one of the attackers appeared to have cannisters attached to his waist". Good way not to alarm people........... Jesus christ

PM already saying it's a potential act of terrorism
Police just tweeted the same. Also just seen on BBC that the knife men jumped out the van, running to stab people that this is for allah.

Police also say the incidents at London Bridge and Borough Market are not connected to what happened at Vauxhall.

No worries, I'm sure the politicians will be absolutely determined to do completely nothing again.

I see Trump and his fascist supporters are using the attacks to gain points. Scumbags.

The number of racist/hate spreading tweets I've had to block/report as a result of the atrocities is already well in the dozens.

I've voted Conservative in the past (yeah yeah hate me if you want), but I just couldn't do it this time around. The campaign was an absolute shambles, and what they have in store for the NHS etc is just.......yeah.

On the flipside you have Labour. A leader who was prepared to dismantle our only effective way to defend ourself, a leader who I 100% do not trust with our armed forces-and the pledge to "guarantee a million jobs". Yeah sure whatever. Then you had the Diane Abbott saga and jesus christ I didn't know wether to laugh or cry at that.

Bottom line-I don't trust EITHER of them. Irrespective of who wins for example-the NHS will STILL be underfunded. So it doesn't matter which party made promises regarding the state of that-NHS will still suffer big time.

But what it comes down to is-and I never EVER thought I'd agree with a Liberal Democrat-I actually agree with Nick Clegg. It's really sad to see the country so incredibly divided. England is pretty much very badly fragmented and we are damaged goods. And we **** sure better sort out the mess because irrespective of whoever wins our economy is going to suffer and the knock on effect will be nasty. The nation as a whole will suffer. The £ has already taken a hammering against the $ during the election.

So all these politicians from all parties can pat each others backs etc, and all the supporters will be happy and jolly. But there is going to be long lasting fallout from this and it's going to be particularly unpleasant.

Now a possibility of the DUP helping the Conservatives with the overall majority. Not definate obviously, but possible

I've voted Conservative in the past (yeah yeah hate me if you want), but I just couldn't do it this time around. The campaign was an absolute shambles, and what they have in store for the NHS etc is just.......yeah.

On the flipside you have Labour. A leader who was prepared to dismantle our only effective way to defend ourself, a leader who I 100% do not trust with our armed forces-and the pledge to "guarantee a million jobs". Yeah sure whatever. Then you had the Diane Abbott saga and jesus christ I didn't know wether to laugh or cry at that.

Bottom line-I don't trust EITHER of them. Irrespective of who wins for example-the NHS will STILL be underfunded. So it doesn't matter which party made promises regarding the state of that-NHS will still suffer big time.

But what it comes down to is-and I never EVER thought I'd agree with a Liberal Democrat-I actually agree with Nick Clegg. It's really sad to see the country so incredibly divided. England is pretty much very badly fragmented and we are damaged goods. And we **** sure better sort out the mess because irrespective of whoever wins our economy is going to suffer and the knock on effect will be nasty. The nation as a whole will suffer. The £ has already taken a hammering against the $ during the election.

So all these politicians from all parties can pat each others backs etc, and all the supporters will be happy and jolly. But there is going to be long lasting fallout from this and it's going to be particularly unpleasant.

Trident doesnt defend us from, well, anything. It's an archaic doomsday deterrent.

As for the military, the Conservatives have spent the last 10 years slashing it by 25%, and had the aim of slashing it by another 10%, like they have done with every frontline service. They haven't been the defence party for a long time.

Trident doesnt defend us from, well, anything. It's an archaic doomsday deterrent.

As for the military, the Conservatives have spent the last 10 years slashing it by 25%, and had the aim of slashing it by another 10%, like they have done with every frontline service. They haven't been the defence party for a long time.

Hmmm. Valid points. Guess I'm not as good at debating these things at 5:55 am without sleep lol. The cuts in the front line services and what they planned for the NHS absolutely defied belief. And the May statement about tearing up some parts of the human rights laws to counter terrorism certainly got my alarm bells ringing. She's been nothing short of a disaster for the Conservatives-entire campaign has been a shambles.

And now some sources from the in the Tories are (allegedly) saying that May could actually resign this morning. If true then this whole thing is a complete mess. Won't have a clue where that leaves the DUP because they'd work the the Tories in a coalition. This is going to be a very interesting morning

Hmmm. Valid points. Guess I'm not as good at debating these things at 5:55 am without sleep lol. The cuts in the front line services and what they planned for the NHS absolutely defied belief. And the May statement about tearing up some parts of the human rights laws to counter terrorism certainly got my alarm bells ringing. She's been nothing short of a disaster for the Conservatives-entire campaign has been a shambles.

And now some sources from the in the Tories are (allegedly) saying that May could actually resign this morning. If true then this whole thing is a complete mess. Won't have a clue where that leaves the DUP because they'd work the the Tories in a coalition. This is going to be a very interesting morning

This is why I despise May, we have all the laws we need to counter terrorism. What we need are resources, the very ones her party have stripped back.

Shes been a shambles, picked needless fights, including this election.

DUP could form a coalition, but it would be incredibly narrow and they would demand a soft Brexit, as they will not want any kind of hard border in Ireland

Shes totally ****** it

This is why I despise May, we have all the laws we need to counter terrorism. What we need are resources, the very ones her party have stripped back.

Shes been a shambles, picked needless fights, including this election.

DUP could form a coalition, but it would be incredibly narrow and they would demand a soft Brexit, as they will not want any kind of hard border in Ireland

Shes totally ****** it

A party that believes in creationism having a seat at the table, only in Americ..........oh wait

Last edited:
I guess the early election gamble ended up backfiring.

If anything, the election results have just compounded the air of ambivalence that exists less than a week before the Brexit negotiations are set to begin. And Conservative Party’s pairing up with the DUP looks funny when they have contradictory views on some issues. My favourite part of Conservative's manifesto is that they are going to build one million homes by the end of 2020 (with only 150,000 homes built in 2016/2017 https://tranio.com/united-kingdom/a...atest_news&utm_medium=letter&utm_campaign=699 ) It's just killing me. And I'm not even sure May was the lesser of two evils. I'm so disappointed with the election results