The UK Politics Thread

With his final move he stabbed the knife in the backs of anybody who was waiting to stab him. It's amazing.

Think it was as much revenge for the backstabbing against him in the first place.

Would also like to say the new rules for voting in the Labour leadership are disgusting, if you joined the party in the last 6 months you cannot vote and from what I have seen you can vote if you pay 25 pound, these were all put through yesterday after they deliberated on whether Corbyn could run or not. As a member of Unison I get to vote and I know how I will be voting, its an absolute farce I hope Corbyn wins by a landslide and Eagles crawls back under her diet tory rock

Well May (or rather the party's strategy team) has already proven herself to be incredibly astute. Labour need to get their **** together sharpish.

Well May (or rather the party's strategy team) has already proven herself to be incredibly astute. Labour need to get their **** together sharpish.

Has she kept Corbyn on as chief Labour destroyer?

Has she kept Corbyn on as chief Labour destroyer?

She basically nailed both Bojo and Osborne in one swoop, which is pretty good considering they were really her only challengers for the throne.

First Nice and then Turkey. Along with the whole Brexit thing May has had one **** of a first couple days

Hasn't been a slow news month, that's for sure.

Turkey coup looks a hoax, though. Not even 24h passed and somehow they already issued thousands of arrest warrants for judges and journalists. Clearly these people must have been involved in planning of the coup, otherwise how could government act so quickly? I'm sure they didn't have lists prepared months in advance, right?

If I was a member of NATO I'd be worried about Turkey. There's clearly something afoot behind the scenes. And there's going to be an impact regarding activities against IS as it will affect intelligence with this "purging" he's banging on about. I have never trusted this guy as he's too devious and there's an agenda that is clearly opposed to Western democracy. And he seems too gun-ho with his attitude toward Russia.

So today mp's begin the debate regarding if we keep Trident or not. Be interesting to see what happens

So the faceless shill that is Angela Eagle has pulled out of the Labour leadership race, good she was going to be a disaster. She was disastrous in office, her leadership campaign was error strewn, from the upside down union jack or diversion tactics about her voting record she was just never going to work out.

Then we are left with the empty suit that is Owen Smith, who is pretty much a lobbyist for big pharma, yeah someone we want heading the labour movement

he said of Eagle yesterday "she is a star of the Labour movement " and " someone or women to aspire to in politics"

NO JUST NO, she is not a star no one knew who she was till she backstabbed her democratically elected leader who got more votes than the conservative and lib dems have members combined. She has a awful voting record and probably the real reason for her pulling out is that on her local seat they have called a vote of no confidence in her from what I can tell. No one should be aspiring to be someone who is that incompetent, owen smith and eagle are just blue ***** in disguise, the sooner these Blairites **** off out of the party I love the better we will be, hopefully once this mess is sorted and if Corbyn wins then some of these peoples positions will be untenable.

Total offtopic, but I've been following US elections pretty closely this year, and I came to the conclusion that US political system must have been designed by Mr. Bean while on LSD.

First, with presidential nominations technically the voters choose the candidate for each party, but in practice a bunch of unelected officials hold a swing vote. Okay.

Next, lobbying is not only legal but done quite openly, and corporations can legally buy politicians by funding their campaigns. The explanation seems to be that not allowing corporations to fund the campaigns would limit free speech. I'm not quite sure why exactly Microsoft or Chevrolet should have the right to free speech.

Also, apparently each state uses different way to count votes and they have some elaborate registration process before you're allowed to vote. Somehow in 2016 they don't have the technical capability to just have a list of people who are eligible.

Then you have Gore vs. Bush nonsense, where guy with less votes somehow ended up winning.

The weirdest thing though, is American Supreme Court. So they have 9 guys, hand picked by president and holding their position for life, who can knock down any and all legislation, or effectively make their own legislation by creating precedents. The only way to bypass that is to amend the constitution. So essentially, the highest power is in the hands of people who are not only unelected, but completely unremovable. One of the current judges has been appointed by Ronald Reagan, I **** you not.

This is galactic level of ****** up, and I'm probably only scratching the surface. How can people just idly accept that is mind boggling, heads would be on the pikes if you tried to institute a system like that in Europe.

Total offtopic, but I've been following US elections pretty closely this year, and I came to the conclusion that US political system must have been designed by Mr. Bean while on LSD.

First, with presidential nominations technically the voters choose the candidate for each party, but in practice a bunch of unelected officials hold a swing vote. Okay.

Next, lobbying is not only legal but done quite openly, and corporations can legally buy politicians by funding their campaigns. The explanation seems to be that not allowing corporations to fund the campaigns would limit free speech. I'm not quite sure why exactly Microsoft or Chevrolet should have the right to free speech.

Also, apparently each state uses different way to count votes and they have some elaborate registration process before you're allowed to vote. Somehow in 2016 they don't have the technical capability to just have a list of people who are eligible.

Then you have Gore vs. Bush nonsense, where guy with less votes somehow ended up winning.

The weirdest thing though, is American Supreme Court. So they have 9 guys, hand picked by president and holding their position for life, who can knock down any and all legislation, or effectively make their own legislation by creating precedents. The only way to bypass that is to amend the constitution. So essentially, the highest power is in the hands of people who are not only unelected, but completely unremovable. One of the current judges has been appointed by Ronald Reagan, I **** you not.

This is galactic level of ****** up, and I'm probably only scratching the surface. How can people just idly accept that is mind boggling, heads would be on the pikes if you tried to institute a system like that in Europe.

Not gonna disagree with most of what you said, but it's not free speech when you start pick and choosing who has it and not (even if they are nasty evil corporations). The bigger issue for me is how Americans - republicans in particular - can be so steadfastly resolute in their defence of liberty when it comes to certain issues i.e. guns, but happy to take people's liberty when it comes to things like abortion and spying on citizens. They're not even that big on free speech, they have a few random censorship laws IIRC.

Not gonna disagree with most of what you said, but it's not free speech when you start pick and choosing who has it and not (even if they are nasty evil corporations)

Well, Google isn't a person nor it is eligible to vote, so how can it have the right to free speech?

I don't see any problem if Google's CEO and board of directors want to personally endorse a politician. They're not entities, they're people. But of course they're not going to do that, because it would aggregate their consumer base, while handing a politician a warchest for the campaign carries no such risks. Seems to me more like legalized bribery than executing the rights to free spech.

The bigger issue for me is how Americans - republicans in particular - can be so steadfastly resolute in their defence of liberty when it comes to certain issues i.e. guns, but happy to take people's liberty when it comes to things like abortion and spying on citizens. They're not even that big on free speech, they have a few random censorship laws IIRC.

Yeah American fixation about liberty is always amusing. It's 2016, similar freedoms are probably in well over 50 countries, you'd think they'd figure out it's time to change a tune a little bit.

Well, Google isn't a person nor it is eligible to vote, so how can it have the right to free speech?

I don't see any problem if Google's CEO and board of directors want to personally endorse a politician. They're not entities, they're people. But of course they're not going to do that, because it would aggregate their consumer base, while handing a politician a warchest for the campaign carries no such risks. Seems to me more like legalized bribery than executing the rights to free spech.

Yeah American fixation about liberty is always amusing. It's 2016, similar freedoms are probably in well over 50 countries, you'd think they'd figure out it's time to change a tune a little bit.

I see your point, companies are treated as people by American law. I think they'd have to reform their constitution to change things.

There are countries way more libertarian than America, they just like to think they are. They've eroded most of their liberties over the past 50 years. Canada is probably a freer country, to their horror.

I know Thatcher is extremely controversial figure in UK, but recently released top secret files about her dealings with Poland, show that she genuinely wanted to help us shake off the Soviet scum, and it wasn't just about exploiting the situation for political gain.

So yeah, cheers Maggie. Your own people may not remember you fondly, but the Poles sure do.

Think its time to resurrect this thread with the election on the horizon. Remember keep it civil I know politics is a prickly subject at the best of times.

I honestly cannot stomach May she cannit even answer a basic question about where the 8 billion pound for the NHS will come from without trotting out the rote learned line that Labour are to blame for the economy problems. (Just so people know 1 thats a myth the budget ran at a 3 percent deficit election year and actually made a profit the previous 2 years and 2 tory have had 11 ******* years to fix things and its pretty far from being fixed)

Im from the north and the amount of people I know voting tory alarms me. Unless you are ******* minted or are one of Rupert Murdochs shills I cannot see why you would vote for them. But thats the problem when the british press is in the gutter and people rote learn there views from the paper that shall not be named. Im on the political rampage today so I am maybe best ignored haha, but yeah thread resurrected

I don't know who to vote for. Don't trust the Tories, I sure as **** don't trust Corbyn with this countries defense and I don't trust him if a major crisis developed amongst other things. When war breaks out between NATO and Russia I can guarantee he won't have the bottle to do a **** thing except lay down.

And not to mention, and independent leading Health Think Tank has confirmed what I suspected-doesn't matter who gets in, the NHS is screwed because of underfunding.

Then there's the Lib Dems............lul.

Either way this country is fked.