• Thread starter Thread starter Mr_Grieves
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 237
  • Views Views 60K

Mr_Grieves

Reaction score

Ultimate Champions League Challenge
View attachment 296256

Taking up my own challenge huh, i better do good!

This is the Champions League Challenge
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...e-champions-league-challenge.html#post1663858

Stonecold's History with the Champions League
View attachment 296253
Don't get me wrong here but me and the Champions League are NOT friends!

Since Championship Manager changed to Football manager I've been awful in Europe, Usually blitz the domestic competitions but have lost out in Europe to some pretty embarrassing teams. One famous Champions League final saw the mighty Bordeaux beat my Real Madrid 3-1 being my biggest gripe but I've had problems with other top sides including Man City, Barcelona, Man Utd, Inter with Cristiano Ronaldo up front have all been amongst my biggest failures

So what about this time?
Having never tried anything like this before i would be delighted to bring 10 teams to Champions League Glory. I think its a pretty realistic aim even if i have to taint my sole by joining some pretty disgusting teams

Where else to Start but!!!!!

Man Utd - 3 times winners - 1968,1999,2008
View attachment 296259View attachment 296257View attachment 296258

My thinking is there is 2 ways to go with this. Start with one of the teams that gain you 30-50 points for a Champions League win or start big and hope you can rack up the champions league wins quick and fast, im going for the latter and hope my favorite team can get us off to a dream start

Summer business to follow
View attachment 296254

----Champions League Efforts----

2012/13 - Man Utd - CL = Runner Up - Current Points 0
2013/14 - Man Utd CL = Last 16 - Current Points 0
2014/15 - Man Utd CL = Winner - Current Points 5
2015/16 - Inter CL = Winner - Current Points 15
2016/17 - Dortmund CL = Winner - Current Points 30
2017/18 - Bayern Munich CL = Winner - Current Points 45
2018/19 -
Bayern Munich CL = Winner - Current Points 47
2019/20 - ACMilan = No European Football + Liverpool CL - Semi Final 47
2020/21 - Liverpool CL = Winner - Current Points 67
2021/22 - Real Madrid CL = Winner - Current Points 72

Other Trophys

Man Utd
Premiership
Carling Cup
European Super Cup

Dortmund
Bundesliga
German Super Cup

Bayern
Bundesliga
German Super Cup
World Club Championships

AC Milan
-

Liverpool
Premiership

Real Madrid
La Liga

Last edited:

Season 1 Preview

First team 2012
View attachment 296291

If our attack goes like we do in real life and the midfield makes the difference i suspect i may then i have a great chance of winning the Champions League first time out

Transfers
View attachment 296293View attachment 296292

Man Utd's transfers
View attachment 296294

In

Man Utd's weakness is Midfield so we added two of the premierships best

Mauro Fellaini

Will be a Playmaker attacking, deep lying he can do the lot
View attachment 296295

Cheick Tiote
Will be the wall in front of our shaky defense
View attachment 296297

Paulo Ferreira
Had to splash out £190k to get back up for our wing backs. Will not play much!
View attachment 296296

Out

Welbeck went out on loan to Spurs because i only play 1 lead striker and he'd be behind Van Persie, Rooney and Hernandez

Rafael would have been a back up right back but I'd have missed out on either Fellaini or Tiote so Rafael left.

August results

Reading 0-4 Man Utd
O'G
Van Persie
Scholes
Nani

Man Utd 3-1 Sunderland
Van Persie 2
Cleverley

Tom Cleverley out for 5 months with a broken leg, Chances were it was a former team mate

Champions League Draw
View attachment 296298

Man Utd landed in Group B with a group they should comfortably get through but one which has plenty history.

Man Utd and Benfica have played each other several times over the years most notably in the 1968 European Cup final. Another team from the past is Basel until beating Man Utd in 2011/12 season that names was more associated with a cartoon character

By avoiding the trickier second seed we have a good chance at getting a 100% winning run or 100% clean sheets through the group phase and maybe set us on out way to some bonus points

September

Man Utd 2-0 QPR
Valencia
Rooney

Aston Villa 0-0 Man Utd

Montpellier V Man Utd - Champions League Match 1
Pre Match Man Utd are declared "15/2" 3rd favorites behind the two Spanish giants. Time to show why! Ryan Giggs is the only new injury worry after getting a knock against Villa

Montpellier 1-1 Man Utd
Scholes

View attachment 296321

Arghh so many bonus points disappeared with a 90th minute goal Soulermane Camara's picture perfect equalizer

Everton 1-2 Man Utd
Young
Van Persie

Man Utd 2-0 Liverpool - Carling Cup
Hernandez
Henriquez

Man Utd 1-0 Chelsea
Nani

Premier League
View attachment 296322

Still League unbeaten and still top despite playing half strength sides against Villa and Chelsea

U versus French teams - always makes me giggle - makes me wonder why you didnt start off with Marseille...........

U versus French teams - always makes me giggle - makes me wonder why you didnt start off with Marseille...........

The French should stick to international football, its the only time they bring me any happiness!

October

Man Utd V Benfica - Champions League Match 2
Following on from our embarrassing result in France we've got to take our anger and frustration out on Benfica and make ourselves look like serious challengers for the competition. Rooney joins Cleverley on the injury list and misses out here. Chris Smalling is back in training but still not ready for tonight

Man Utd 3-0 Benfica
Nani
Van Persie 2

A very simple win. United we stood and Benfica were walked over at Old Trafford

Man Utd 2-1 Arsenal
Fellaini
Valencia

Stoke 1-2 Man Utd
Hernandez 2

Basel V Man Utd - Champions League match 3
Victory over Benfica got us back on the rails and back to back wins against Basel are expected

Basel 0-3 Man Utd
Valencia 3

Probably not the player you would have backed to get a hattrick but a one man show from Valencia puts us top of the group for the first time

View attachment 296468

Southampton 1-2 Man Utd
Rooney
Vidic

Man Utd 4-1 Southampton - Carling Cup
Hernandez 2
Januzaj
Pereira

League
View attachment 296467

Sneaked past Stoke and Southampton where it looked like we might be away to loose or at best drop points

November

Man Utd 2-0 Norwich
Young
Januzaj

Man Utd V Basel - Champions League Match 4
Match 4 And its Rio Ferdinand's turn to be injured, stunned that both Rio and Vidic survived to November without one of them getting hurt

Man Utd 1-1 Basel
Valencia

This was a mega frustrating game! Fletcher out injured till Christmas and again we went missing, not taking our chances is becoming a massive problem, will try something different in match 5 and 6

View attachment 296485

Man Utd 2-1 Newcastle
Van Persie
Nani

Man Utd 0-0 West Brom

Man Utd V Montpellier - Champions League Match 5
A Win today and we'll have stumbled through to the knockout stages!

Man Utd 5-0 Montpellier
Van Persie
Nani
Jones
Valencia
Rooney

Well there's that performance we were waiting for. Lots of goals, lots of scorers and Benfica won a classic in Switzerland so we've topped the group

View attachment 296486

Man City 3-1 Man Utd
Van Persie

League
View attachment 296487

Suffer our 1st league defeat of the season as City and Chelsea close the gap

Hurry up and win the thing so I dont have to read about you being Man Utd lol - I see Newcastle are struggling while Sunderland are even worse..................

I am dreading managing Man Utd in my attempt. Maybe I will move to there, win the Champions League with them and sell/release all their players when I get a job offer (you can delay for a week) - to cleanse my soul. Ha ha.

Anywho - I digress - lets hope you avoid PSG in the knock-outs

Hurry up and win the thing so I dont have to read about you being Man Utd lol - I see Newcastle are struggling while Sunderland are even worse..................

Pardew sacked and replaced with Pearce
O'Neil Sacked and replaced by Alan Curbishley

Both are going down!

December

Fulham 2-2 Man Utd
Giggs
Hernandez

Benfica V Man Utd - Champions League Match 6
Were through as Group winners but i will not be taking any chances on our unbeaten run and we'll go full strength!

Benfica 1-0 Man Utd

This was disgracefully. Enraged that our 1st team failed me in such a simple game. Not very positive signs for the knock out phase

View attachment 296508

Man Utd 4-0 Liverpool
Nani 2
Rooney
Kagawa

Man Utd 5-0 Bolton - Carling Cup
Ferdinand
Nani 2
Valencia
Evans

Tottenham 1-1 Man Utd
Pereira

Man Utd 2-0 Swansea
Van Persie
Nani

West Ham 0-0 Man Utd

Man Utd 0-0 Wigan

Sunderland 0-3 Man Utd
Evra
Fletcher
Van Persie

League
View attachment 296510
Even though we had 3 draws in 4 games we're still at the top of the tree with Liverpool and Everton joining the race at the top. 6 points between the top 5.

Champions League
Last 16
View attachment 296509

Only clash of the titans is AC Milan v Barcelona
We however got FC Porto, who were probably one of the best 3 teams we could have drawn

January

Man Utd 1-1 Reading
Young

Tranmere 1-1 Man Utd - FA Cup
Young

Man Utd 2-1 Stoke - Carling cup s/f 1st leg
Pereira
Hernendez

QPR 0-4 Man Utd
Van Persie 3
Valencia

Man Utd 0-0 Tranmere
Tranmere win 4-3 on penalty's - oops

Man Utd 3-0 Everton
Van Persie 3

Stoke 1-1 Man Utd - Carling Cup s/f 1st leg
Young
--- Agg Man Utd 3-2 Stoke ---

Chelsea 0-6 Man Utd
Van Persie 4
Nani
Valencia

League
View attachment 296549

It was tight at the top now there's nothing in it at all, If we hadn't pummled Chelsea it could have been even closer with the top 3

January Transfers
View attachment 296550

February

Arsenal 1-1 Man Utd
O'G

Man Utd 2-0 Stoke
O'G
Kagawa

FC Porto v Man Utd - Champions League last 16 1st leg
Its time to get real again. Porto have offered Man Utd many problems in the past but we simply must perform tonight. David De Gea got a knock in training meaning Lidegard will make his 1st Champions League start for me

FC Porto 1-0 Man Utd

Oh bother! In normal standard Man Utd have screwed up the 1st leg. For the first time this season we were totally outplayed. Worrying for the 2nd leg

View attachment 296564

Man Utd 4-0 Aston Villa
Valencia 3
Van Persie

Man Utd 2-2 Tottenham - Carling Cup Final
Van Persie 2

--- Tottenham win 5-3 on pens ---

Norwich 1-1 Man Utd
Young

Man Utd 2-0 Southampton
Valencia
Carrick

League
View attachment 296565

Were back on top, gap between the top 3 remains the same

March

Man Utd V FC Porto - Champions League last 16 2nd leg
2nd leg and we must win by 2 goals otherwise the whole point in my story is in jeopardy

Man Utd 2-0 FC Porto
Tiote
Nani

Were through, Just! Tiote got us back in the tie right at the start and after 80 minutes of suffering Nani popped up in the 89th minute and we stumbled into the last 8

View attachment 296585

No massive shocks in the last 16, Celtic maybe!
View attachment 296584

Newcastle 0-1 Man Utd
Van Persie

Man Utd 1-1 Man City
Van Persie

West Brom 2-0 Man Utd

League
View attachment 296586

Only 3 goals in it at the top and if Chelsea win there to games in hand 3 teams will all be level on points

Champions League QF + SF draws
View attachment 296587

To get through the tournament we'll have to get past Bayern in the quarter finals then probably Real Madrid in the Semi's

gd luck hope u win champions league so i dont have to see man utd..god knows how i will cope when i have to manage them

Agreed, one thing putting me off for this challenge was the fact that I would have to manage Man Utd and Real Madrid, United more so though. Looks like your prediction of Newcastle going down might be true, if you don't win CL going to pluck them for some players if they do?

Agreed, one thing putting me off for this challenge was the fact that I would have to manage Man Utd and Real Madrid, United more so though. Looks like your prediction of Newcastle going down might be true, if you don't win CL going to pluck them for some players if they do?

Already got there best "Tiote" Cabaye would be the only other i'd want but dont want to make Man Utd since they'll hopefully be my rivals soon

April

Man Utd V Bayern Munich - Champions League Q/F 1st leg
Old rivals face off again. Since winning the 1999 Final Bayern Munich have eliminated Man Utd every time they have met in Europe and i am not confident of changing that trend based on out current form and our European form this season

Man Utd 2-1 Bayern Munich
Cleverley
Hernandez

The better team finally got the win but Bayern's away goal could prove the be the difference, again!

View attachment 296609

Liverpool 1-1 Man Utd
Hernandez

Bayern Munich V Man Utd - Champions League Q/F 2nd leg
Thankfully we soldiered through the Liverpool game without any fresh injury. We'll be going out with an attacking team to try and get the away goal that will give us a added edge

Bayern Munich 2-1 Man Utd AET
Nani

Man Utd win 4-3 on pens

What a game. We lead at half time and were playing well, Well keeping Bayern at bay. Our boys tired through the second half and they got the two goals required for extra time. Nothing exciting happend in extra time and Phillip Lahm missed the vital penalty which puts us through to the semi finals!

View attachment 296610

Could there be a better line up than this?
View attachment 296611

Man Utd 2-1 Fulham

Rooney
Nani

Man Utd 1-2 Tottenham
Scholes

Man Utd V Real Madrid - Champions League S/F 1st leg
Held a team meeting after the Tottenham game and really hope it has the desired effect to navigate the 1st leg

Man Utd 2-0 Real Madrid
Valencia
Nani

Like all brilliant wins in this seasons games it came at a price. Van Persie Doubtful for 2nd leg and Nani will struggle to return before the end of the season

View attachment 296612

Swansea 1-2 Man Utd
Rooney
O'G

League
View attachment 296608

Were even at the top but City have a game in hand but with trips to Chelsea and Norwich to come i feel the pressure is on our neighbors

Back