MikeLUFC

Reaction score

I'm at work, But I'll post some screenshots at a later time regarding the Story you're about to read. (if you read it...!) Please leave your thoughts and advice. - Mike

With the inclusion of easy networking over Steam, me and my friend decided to buy FM 2013 with the main intention of playing a season over network. I took on the role of Leeds United manager, and my friend Rob took charge at Barnsley. My reign at leeds was short lived..

During pre season, and the first few competetive games, my Leeds United played very well. I signed a few players here and there, and grabbed a few on loan. I did try to get Michael Tonge but never panned out as planned. I drew Rob (Barnsley) in my second game in the League Cup and beat him 1-0 at extra time in a tightly fought match that saw both teams hit the post numerous times.

September was an odd month because even though my team were playing well, they were failing to finish. We controlled most matches. Shots taken, on target, possession.. but despite all that, we'd win 1-0.. or draw. Or even lose. Barely anything was coming of the incredible performances.

Throughout october my leeds united team lost every game. Morale dropped to abysmal and we dropped in the league to hover just outside the relegation zone. Knocked out of the cup by QPR. Infact we scored 2 goals the entire month and whenever my players got a chance they'd hit the post or hit the bar. It was becoming frustrating to see Becchio hit the post twice or three times a game and never score. Paddy Kenny was even fumbling balls left right and center, letting in goal after goal. I saw that Luke Steele (Barnsley keeper) requested to be transferred, so I offered a loan deal to my friend Rob who, (I think partly out of pity) loaned me Luke Steele.

Eventually november came, we won a couple of games with a few solid Man of the Match performances from steele, but it didn't help, we slipped down to 2nd from bottom, Sitting just above sheffield wednesday who were bottom of the league. I read in the media that the Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich managers had both been sacked. My job by now was labelled "Very Insecure".

The board had grown tired of the way I'd been performing. I think the recent wins were the only reason I hadn't been sacked already.

A few further defeats and I saw a post in the media stating that the leeds board would likely sack me if I lost this next game... Which felt almost inevitable. It un-nerved me. I changed tactics drastically to 4-3-3 to see if I could pull off a dramatic win, but there was somethnig in the back of my mind that told me I would lose. I wanted to continue to manage in the championship, partly to continue a rivalry with my friend Rob, and also to enjoy managing a team at this level.

Just before this game, I applied for the job at Sheffield Wednesday. As a Leeds fan, and the Leeds manager, this felt like the ultimate betrayal.

I don't recall who I played against in my last leeds game, I was actually full of guilt during all of it. Infact, I was so disenchanted that I didn't feel like it mattered anymore. The loss was inevitable and there was nothing I could do about it. We were winning 1-0 until 80 minutes. And it fell apart then, 2-1 we lost. It was appauling.

After sending my assistant manager to the press interview (I couldn't face them myself..) and clicking that 'Continue' button I found that my application to Sheffield Wednesday had been seized upon by the media. I barely remember what the media had said, but I remember clearly the board had found it insulting. They'd given me a chance by not sacking me yet despite the terrible performances and I'd betrayed them. I was given an ultimatum. Mutual termination of my contract or be sacked.

I could have resigned at this point, but I didn't. I had a plan. If Leeds sacked me for applying to be Sheffield Wednesday manager, it would be better than been fired for poor performances... surely?

So, I didn't resign. I apologised, gritted my teeth and waited for the sack.

Next day, (Monday) I was swiftly removed from my position. I received a few job offers from League 1 teams, which I was happy to get, but I delayed their offers until I heard back from wednesday.

1 day after being sacked as the Leeds United manager, I received a contract offer from the Sheffield Wednesday board. I negotiated with them a contract until 2015, they are paying me 3 times the wages Leeds were paying me. We tied it up, and 2 days later (Wednesday) I was announced the Sheffield Wednesday manager. There was a massive outburst of shock in the media and from fans. I'm an ex - leeds manager and a leeds united fan, and I'm now managing sheffield wednesday. (Who were bottom of the league)

As I type this, I have played 2 games as Wednesday, first was a Win, second a respectable draw, to move up to 18th, my friend's Barnsley team are now 15th, and there are only 3 points between us. It is early in the Season (and in my FM2013 career) but this has been the most dramatic game of Football Manager I have ever played.

I have never felt so involved with the game.

Leeds United remain 23rd in the League, Gordon Strachan turned down the Leeds United manager post in favour of Ipswich.

Last edited:
Haha, Thanks man. I'm going to update on an ingame monthly basis with how I peform as the Wednesday manager from this point.

I think it's an interesting place to start a story though, Even wednesday fans are uneasy with me taking charge after what happened with Leeds.

This is an interesting story I like the way your explaining the events and things it's different to most storys keep it up.

Looks interesting mate, will be even better with a few screenshots n'all! Keep it going

After taking charge at Sheffield Wednesday, I've yet to allow the team a climb from the relegation zone.
Points-wise we're not far away from climbing out, but we just need to make that final push.

My friend Rob has slipped abit, He stands with Barnsley at 15th, he keeps dropping and climbing back up. He has some big wins, then big losses.

You'll see in the screenshot below that I've made the most out of the games we've played... but the big game was the game against Leeds United.

My first game in charge of Sheff Wednesday was Cardiff, and, as you can see we won that game.
We endured defeats and held games to draws, but no win came for quite a while.

View attachment 282255

You can see that we beat Leeds.
Remember, Ex Leeds Manager here... Leeds fan. The tension surrounding this game was incredible.
Fans expected alot, players were fired up, and the new Leeds boss Andy Thorn was out to prove himself just as much as I was.

View attachment 282256

Here though, you can see we absolutely destroyed Leeds United in every single way in that game. I'm surprised we didn't score more to be honest, we had so many chances.

This has put a tiny margin between us and Leeds, but we're still sat in the relegation zone. We need some wins now, to climb out there and wash our hands of the poor performance. I want to see the kind of performance we saw against leeds more often. The team were just so fired up because of the whole situation. It was an incredible affair.

What makes for an absolute shocker, on top of everything that has happened so far in this bitter Yorkshire tale, is that I will play Leeds United in the last game of the season. I might be nailing the coffin in the lid of their relegation, or will they do the same to me and get their revenge?

View attachment 282257

Stick with me and find out.

League so far. I've a feeling it's going to be a close season for the bottom half.

View attachment 282258

Yeah, I have played FM for years and know not to get mugged by ignoring staff, training, squad status immediately. However, I did all this , won all preseason ( 2 tactics so as not to be predictable). So the real season starts and like you guys 10 games: a few draws and no wins! Do you think FM was trying to reflect 'real' manager Colin Oinker having so many new faces ie no team chemistry? Anyone got beyond this stage and do they have any obvious stuff before I quit my favourite Leeds and head off for fav other teams Valencia and St Etienne?!!

I haven't updated this in ages but I feel like I should.

After 12 months managing Sheffield Wednesday, Nov 2012 to Nov 2013, I did not manage to prevent them from being relegated, but they played a some half decent games. Our final championship game was a win against Leeds United 4-1, and in doing so we relegated Leeds United along with ourselves. I didn't really change much about them, signed a couple of players but nothing too impressive, I did not last long as Wednesday manager after that.

I was sat at 3rd place in league 1 when I was sacked as Sheffield Wednesday's manager. During december I was appointed Manager of preston North end and managed to bring them a respectable mid table finish in League 1, at the end of 13/14 season. I never saw my preston job as a permanent position, infact I simply meant to move on during the summer.

During the summer, Leeds United's manager seat was vacant, I had just resigned from my temporary post at Preston, so I applied for the job.

And in a massive twist of fate, I am now the manager of Leeds United.

Time to atone for my sins.

Leeds did not manage to get promoted during 13/14 season an are still in League 1. I appointed Jason Pearce captain of Leeds. Tom Lees was sold during my asbence, along with Sam Byram. I signed Max Clayton, A young striker and a few more signings.

I did not want to invest in League 1 skilled players, as our main goal was to push for championship promotion, so instead I decided to loan Championship/Fringe Premier league players. I had 5 players on loan in total.

It is now February in 2015, Leeds are 2nd and 8 points above 3rd position in the league. The Transfer window has just closed.
We have recently sold Ross McCormack for 900k.
And Jason Pearce left to join Newcastle for a respectable £4.2m.

I have signed Nicky Law from Motherwell to join in at the end of the season on a free (Worth between £1m-£2m)
I signed a defender to cover the absence of pearce, (I forget the name but I will post later)
And I have managed to negotiated the signing of winger Danny Rose from tottenham (one of my loaned players)

Our promotion challenge is going well, we have not lost a game in 8 now, we have had a few 1-1 draws but we remain 2nd. Birmingham are top, 9 points above myself.

10 games left, Can we gain automatic promotion?

The last few seasons have been nothing but absoloute Drama, but I am finally enjoying a successful reign at Leeds United. (Despite betraying them so horribly earlier on)

Sheffield Wednesday remain mid-table in League 1.

Within this season, My friend Rob is enjoying his 3rd successful Mid-Table Championship season as Barnsley.