daviddunn

Reaction score
Twenty five years have passed since Hellas Verona since won Serie A, now that team who shares a 39000 seater stadium, finds themselves struggling to compete in Serie C1/B. Its Time for things too change and the curret chairman has brought in an relatively unkown English manger with Austrian descent, Philip Garthouse. He intents to lead these OldScool Italian boys to glory again, but will that happen, time will tell......

(how do i post a screenshot?)

Garthouse has spent the majority of his transfer budget, in which was in the region of £700K. Arguably his biggest signing was young centre forward Luka Majcen from Slovakian team Interblock. It is thought the transfer cost inthe region of £350k. Also signing were Spanish duo Jonathan Villa and Fran Cortes for £70k a peice. Gladstone who has 11 U21 caps for Brazil joined on a free. Lastly to make up for the spending was Austrian right back, Osoinik for £50k. Garthouse also signed for the future and brought in four youth players who have the potential to be leading Serie A players.

Pre season was cut short due to the Italian Cup. A 1-1 draw with Duisberg and a 1-0 loss to Udinese reverves meant that Verona were not the best prepared for the upcoming season. However, a 3-0 win agaisnt rivals Fano in the first round of the cup got Garthouses career bumpstarted, and this followed by a very narrow 1-0 to Frosiene(sp) who are in the league above.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Good luck. I always liked Verona back when they were in Serie A and C4 used to show the Italian matches every Sunday

I used to love that programm, and cheers boyo

The man that hosted it - James Richardson = LEGEND. Sky Sports should get him on board rather than some of the clowns they have working for them now (ie Redknapp, Gray and Keys)

The man that hosted it - James Richardson = LEGEND. Sky Sports should get him on board rather than some of the clowns they have working for them now (ie Redknapp, Gray and Keys)

Do u listen to the Guardian football weekly podcast - he is top quality on that with a chap called Barry Glendenning.

Good luck with Verona I will be following.

This is my sqaud and transfers for the season, lets hope i can bring prosperity to the club

With five games into the league season, Verona are surprising everyone, not only are they unbeaten having conceded one goal, they lie on top of the league with a two point advantage. Although it's still early days, fans and media alike are jumping on the band and they too, wish to help Garthouse resurrect Verona's reputation as the big boys of Italian football.

Gladstone is rock solid at the centre of defence along with new signing Osoinik. With only one goal conceded they are already creatng interest from bigger clubs. Russo, the captain is pulling all the strings from centre midfield and heloing is Garzon, Villa and Cortes. New signing Majcen is playing brillantly as a targetman laying the ball of to Rantier who is on fire at the moment.

With Rimini up next who are title favouraties, we can see what level we are at.

Another five games have passed, and Verona are starting to pull away at the top, with second place Virtus managing to keep up. Five points ahead of third means that surrounding teams will have it all to do to keep up with the early leaders pace.

Verona smashed Rimini who are favouraites to win the league but have dropped points to Guilinova and had a very disapointing loss at Pescara. Gladstone has sustained a torn hamstring which see's him out for two months, and captain Russo has been suspended for two games, in which both players very sorely missed in a sore home defeat in the cup to Pro Patria. fans were not best pleased.

Garthouse is said not to be too impresessed in losing there unbeaten form but does not have much to complain about as they are top, and have only conceded five goals so far this term.

will update in 5 games time

Verona continue to grow strong, as they keep their title dreams alive with another five impressive matches. It sees them pull away further than the chasing pasck who are struggling to find consistancy unlike Verona. Gladsonte is back and the defence has become a solid unit again, and Majcen is on fire ( i recommend him to anyone). Surprisingly i was linked with the Sparta Prague job, buti declined to comment, although i was proud my name had been recognised. Funnily enought, A.C Milan, Roma, Bayern and Stuggart are all without managers which is unusual.

With January looming, it will signal the halfway point, with the pressure on Verona to keep up their form.

Doing very well mate, keep going with this :)

Another five matches played, another 15 points acquired! We have looked unbeatable in the last month, with my strikers Rantier and especially Majcen are on fire. Attacking midfielder Fran Cortes' form hasn't been short of magical. Verona have managed to pull away by 13 points now, and the league looks as good done for The Verona Boys.

As it is January, i haven't sold anyone, but it looks like Gladstone will be on his way by the end of the season. He is creating interest from midtable Serie A teams, so i have set a asking price of £2mill. So come and get him bigmen! On the other hand, my captain, right back and both of my strikers have signed lucrative long term contracts which will keep them at the club in years to come. I have just signed a 16year old Belgian winger who looks the bee's knee's, and is performing well in the youth team. Lastly, i have managed to persuade mammouth goalkeeper John Ruddy to sign from Eeverton and a classy Belgian winger who will both join in July.

In other news, Blackburn lie adrift at the bottom of the table by 12 points :'(, however Big Sam has lead them to the final of the League cup, and is now into the 5th of the F.A cup after knocking out Liverpool and Chelsea. I've also managed to lead my U20 team to joint top in the league after a slow start.

Doing very well, I always get bored in Italy but you seem to be enjoying it. Keep it up and good luck :)

One thing Verona don't have, is strength in depth, escpecially in the midfield region. With various injuries and suspensions, causing disrupsion in the squad, poor results were inevitable. Although they did not lose, three draws meant 6 valuable points were lost. After 25 games, we find ourselves 14 points clear with a superior goal difference. Majcen has been my star player, and i am surprised hes not attracting any interest.

I applied for vacant jobs at South Africa, Ivory Coast and Egypt, but failed in all three. I have some way to go before i can see myself leaving, however, i have been linked with a series of jobs across Eastern Europe.

Heres a screenshot of my starplayer, Majcen, and a new arrival joining next season, looks like decent backup.

Dont ask for Country jobs just yet mate at least finish one season. It's much funner ! Doing well and good luck.

Verona boys blitz the league. Hellas Verona have won the league with five games to spare! It came in the expense of a emphatic victory over Portosummaga. Majcen showed why he has been player of the season, slotting four goals past the helpless goalkeeper. Three other strong wins helped Verona to put them in this position, and many fans and jourinlists are praising the manager.

Will review the season at the end.

Verona ended there season on a low, as they succombed to a second league defeat of the season, drawing two and winning the other two. Much to the managers surprise, Verona had been entered into the Serie C1 cup, in which they would contest with Novara. Verona could only field a half strength team for the first leg, with their most valuable players, injured and suspended. Although it was a tight game , we lost 2-1. However, a week later, and with a fullstrength team back, we ended up winning a pulsating match 3-1 away to lift the cup 4-3 on aggregate. So a double in my first season!!

Season in total was brilliant, only two league defeats and conceding less than 30 was a bonus. Ionly set myself of reaching the top 5, hence the play off places so im really happy to aheive this from the start. I didnt really bother with the cups and was caught off guard with the end of seson cup but didnt mind as i won. Glastone, Osoini, Cangi were all quality in defence. With my midfield quartet providing teh spine of the team. All four of them Villa, Cortes, Russo and Garzon are creating interest. However, my player of the year was Luka Majcen, he scored 25 league goals which put us in a commanding position throughout, and he is only going to get better.

For next season, i have manged to pull off a few quality bargins i feel, with the league i am in, signing Pekhart of Spurs, along with two Barcelona midfielders. My reputation has moved up to National aswell. Had to have a laugh at suspected favouraites Rimini reaching the relegation playoffs.

I was named manager of the year, With Majcen winning both young player, player of the year. Gladstone won foregin player of the year with Russo being selected captain in team of the year.

I will try to being to avoid relegation from Serie B

next update will be pre season

I'm working with Hellas at the moment, like you I got promoted already in the first season. I'm 13 games into the new season. Things are going well and we're in fourth place! My goal was to establish the team in serie B, and at the moment it looks very reachable. I don't think my squad is ready for serie A just yet, we need another year in B. But in 2011/12 i will fight against the big boys..

Good luck!

cheers m8, im on my 4th consecutive season with the MASTINI... its my 2nd season in Serie A now, its been a struggle of fight, playing deep defense.. narrow 1-0 away win against juve, but 0-6 massive blows lost against udinese. its tears watching them losing their confidence...

keep up the awesome work dude...