The Villains : A Story Of Villa's Attempts To Take The Top Four.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
A Short Article On The Clubs Website:

WELCOME TO VILLA PARK, Tom Hammond

Villa Fans could be forgiven for thinking, ' who is this guy?' New Aston Villa manager Tom Hammond was publicly introduced as the new Villa manager today, only a week after the sensational sacking of Martin O' Neill, for constant arguing with the Villa Board. Hammond, who had been a youth coach for Villa, has had no playing experience in football, something former Aston Villa Player & Captain Martin Laursen emphasized may be picked on my influential Villa players.

Aston Villa owner : Randy Lerner commented on Hammond supporting him, " Although Hammond is relatively unknown within the football world, he has been at this club for a number of years and we have been watching his progress throughout his development." Randy Lerner seemed to be somewhat satisfied with the boards and particularly his decision as the new manager. Aston Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov stated that he welcomes the new manager to the club, " Personally I am happy that the club has decided to promote from within the club, as Hammond will already have a lot of knowledge of the club particularly the younger players. I hope that he will bring this club into steady progress and keep them in financial stability."

Hammond's First Day On The Job.

Press Conference:

WC: Mr. Hammond you sit here, unknown to the fans as the manager of Aston Villa. Do you think this is a good place to gain more credentials?

TH: Please call me Tom Hammond, and yes Villa is a great club, free of debt great owners, good staff a great work ethic within the club and a really honest team.

WC: Martin O' Neill was known for his attacking tactical approach, what side you you choose, attacking or more cautious and defensive?

TH: It all depends on the opponents of course naturally I will look to play an open game of flowing where the game is played properly.

WC: Now as a completely new manager at this level, would it not seem sensible, to take in as much help from your staff as possible?

TH: No I don't think so If I am to learn the game properly I will look to do it on my own.

WC: You have already been linked with players despite being here only two days. Wolves Micheal Knightly is the main one can you give us any response to this?

TH: I do not know why this is, I am happy with James(Milner) and Ashley(Young) I actually believe my wingers to be the best in the league thank you very much.

WC: That is all thanks for your time.

WC: William Craddock
TH : Tom Hammond

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

I'll follow

cheers.:)

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Hammond's First​

Welcome to Villa Park for Hammond's first game in charge of Aston Villa, and his first game as a manager. Villa have a difficult challenge of Borussia Dortmund, whoa re well thought of in the Bundesliga.

Match Report
First Half
The First chance of the game came to Aston Villa's James Milner in the eighth, Warnock came over the halfway line and slipped it inside to Milner, who then ran sideways in front of the back four and on the edge of the box took the shot, it slipped through the center half's before going straight into the Dortmund keepers gloves. The second chance came from Borussia Dortmund in a similar fashion to Milner's chance, a long range shot sailed over the bar from Nuri Sahin. In the 21st minute Steve Sidwell looked like he had to be substituted but the Villa physio sorted him out and sent him back on. The last chance of the half fell to Steven Warnock another great ball in from Marc Albrighton who had all the joy down that right wing in the first half, it was headed out by a Dortmund Defender and Warnock volleyed it onto the crossbar in the center of the goal great chance.

Second Half
The second half livened up with a goal in the 56th minute, a ball played out wide to Marc Albrighton he whipped a cross into John Carew the striker chested it, laid it off to Steve Sidwell at the edge of the box and Sidwell banged it into the keepers bottom right hand corner. The second chance of the half dropped to John Carew again Marc Albrighton whipping the ball in from the right hand side Carew chested it and tried to move it onto his right foot he hit it but it was blocked by a Dortmund defender. From then on Aston Villa seemed happy to watch Borussia Dortmund bomb on down the flanks easily dispossessed by Steven Warnock & Luke Young.​

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Team Reports
Aston Villa
Brad Friedel 6.8
Luke Young 7.5
Steven Warnock 7.2
James Collins 7.0
Richard Dunne 7.1
Nigel Reo-Coker
Stiliyan Petrov 7.6
Steve Sidwell 8.1 (M.o.M) ...Man Of The Match...
Marc Albrighton 7.9
James Milner 7.4
John Carew 7.3

Borussia Dortmund
Karl Scholze 6.9
Max Zander 6.7
Neven Subotic 6.5
Julian Schwarz 6.8
Damian Le Tallec 6.3
Uwe Reichert 6.7
Nuri Sahin 7.0
Robert Kessler 6.7
Mario Gotze 6.8
Frank Gotz 6.4
Christian Barth 6.2

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:47 PM ----------

Rest Of Pre-Season Results

Barnsley 0 - 1 Aston Villa M.o.M Gabby Agbonglahor
A shaky away win for Hammond's men, Gabby Agbonglahor shot inside the box flew into the bottom right hand corner, before Villa settled and defended there lead. Villa's Luke Young had to be substituted due to injury.

for some reason this was my only pre season game which annoyed me a lot because by the time i checked i was 3 days off the first game of the season against Birmingham

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

Victorious Villains
Hammond's first league game in charge of Aston Villa couldn't be any more important, The City Derby. Aston Villa vs. Birmingham City. Both sides today will look to show the changes from last season, Villa under Hammond and Birmingham hoping to stay up.

Match Report
1st Half
The first chance of the half fell to Gabby Agbonglahor, James Milner ran the ball forward the Birmingham Defence kept stepping back so Milner slid a great ball through to Agbonglahor who took the first time shot and caught cleanly by Joe Hart. The first goal came when James Milner's perfectly floated corner kick dropped onto the head of Stiliyan Petrov, free header and he smashed his header into the net, on the 15th minute. It looked like Birmingham had eqaulised on the 20th minute when Fahey rounded Brad Friedel but couldn't finish a simple tap-in. Aston Villa doubled there lead on the 36th minute, with an Ashley Young wonder strike from a free kick, he lined it up perfectly on the left side of the box then he whipped it over the wall and into the bottom left hand corner.

Second Half
The second half looked to be a bore before on the 67th minute, James Milner lined the free kick up and just like Young had done but he placed it into the top corner of the far post brilliant goal! Aston Villa then felt happy to watch Birmingham attack, because time and time again they got back in numbers and quelled the attacks, in the 80th minute the substitutes came on:
Marc Albrighton On For Ashley Young
Fabian Delph On For Stiliyan Petrov
John Care On For Gabby Agbonglahor.

Man Of The Match = James Milner
The Winger had a great energetic game today pulling all the strings in midfield with a goal and two assists.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.